Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 140837 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Sharks
« Reply #1470 on: October 26, 2020, 07:11:17 PM »
Update

I will not be starting the Vinnie Era until next week. Then we'll really be in the home stretch.

Hopefully everyone will be able to catch up on the UFO albums and/or take e breath.

2001-2004 was a busy period for some of the peripheral albums. Later this week, I will be recapping them, while highlighting a couple.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1471 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
Hah! I really appreciate your perspective!

The difference in opinions shows the strength of the band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1472 on: October 26, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »
Update

I will not be starting the Vinnie Era until next week. Then we'll really be in the home stretch.

Hopefully everyone will be able to catch up on the UFO albums and/or take e breath.

2001-2004 was a busy period for some of the peripheral albums. Later this week, I will be recapping them, while highlighting a couple.

Cool.  Will give me a chance to catch some of the ones I've missed.

It's going to be a sad day when this thread finishes up.  It's been a revelation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1473 on: October 26, 2020, 07:23:13 PM »
 :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1474 on: October 26, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »
Good stuff from what I’m hearing from Sharks. Outlaw Man and Serenity are good tunes. Mogg sounds pretty much as good as ever. It was during this time that singers from other classic rock/metal bands may have had a bit of a vocal downgrade, but Phil sounds great. But for me, as is with all classic rock/metal bands, I’m always choosing their 70s and 80s/early 90s output over anything beyond that. But UFO is sticking to their classic rock guns with Sharks, sounds good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1475 on: October 26, 2020, 07:46:23 PM »
Good stuff Jason!

It's remarkable how good Phil Mogg has continued to sound.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: October 26, 2020, 07:48:44 PM »
I’m assuming all of these UFO releases at this point were mostly imports and harder to find in North America?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1477 on: October 26, 2020, 07:58:02 PM »
I honestly don't remember how I bought these or the Mogg/Way albums. I definitely mail ordered Walk On Water. I used to order from Worldwide CD out of Chicago. Got Balls To Picasso, and the Mr Ego and Perfect Gentleman CD singles from them. Also Riot's Rock City and WDADU.

I didn't use them once I moved here. I think I ordered the Mogg/Way albums through the record shop my wife bought Imaginations from. Covenant too, I think. I feel like Sharks was ordered through Amazon.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: October 26, 2020, 08:01:01 PM »
I could imagine the challenge before the internet to find certain rare or import albums

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1479 on: October 26, 2020, 08:05:45 PM »
There were plenty of places that would import. But it wasn't always cheap either. I mentioned Worldwide CD. They had a great catalog to order from, and proved to be trustworthy.

Plus, your good record stores also had the capability to order imports as well. So if you preferred brick and mortar over mail order, you could do that too.

You just had to possess the knowledge that the stuff was being released. There were a number of record stores where I knew guys that worked there, and they always kept me up to date on upcoming releases.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1480 on: October 27, 2020, 02:41:47 AM »
To those wondering about the availability of Covenant and Sharks at the time of their release, I stumbled across each of them in a music store here in rural Ohio. My guess is that they were readily available here in the states because I don't exactly live in an area with a lot of population density.

About Sharks, my opinion is pretty much in line with Tim's. The album feels like a big let down, but I'm happy to see there are people that dig it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: October 27, 2020, 05:37:31 AM »
Hmmmm....I may have jumped the gun on my opinion on Sharks.  The second half is considerably weaker than the first half.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1482 on: October 27, 2020, 07:00:37 AM »
I'm also in the 'disappointed with Sharks' camp, this is sadly a step down from the previous two. The style is a tad soft for my liking and for the first time I felt something off with the vocals. It could be a level issue like Podaar mentioned since they are louder than anything else. My guess is that it's the actual vocal sound being poorer than before. It could both combined with age finally starting to catch up with Phil for all I know, being that I'm unaware of how things go from here on out.

Schenker seems to be phoning it in this time, it's quite the bland and uninspired affair compared to his usual high standards. As an example for my feeling that way, the instrumental section in Crossing Over leading up to the solo is a poor fit with the rest of the song with a bizarre chord progression and a handful of notes that don't jive with me. Truth be told, I'm actually surprised how little his unenthusiasm with being in UFO at this turbulent time has been noticeable on these albums.

So while it's not terrible, perfectly listenable actually, I don't see myself coming back to it over WoW or Covenant.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:19:01 AM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: October 27, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »
Outlaw Man – I like the song idea, but the execution isn’t quite there for me. I don’t like the “I’m a rocker, I’m a rocker, I’m a rolling stone.” And the rest of the chorus. I do like the lyrics in the verses though. Love the slide guitar work. Overall I’d give it a 7.

Quicksilver Rider – I dig the instrumentation of the verses and the heavy pre-chorus. Again, for me, the chorus is just there; not good but not bad either. The solo by Michael is pretty good. I’d give it a 6.5.

Serenity – I don’t dig the intro. Love the moody, plodding riff. Kind of a different vibe for UFO which I welcome. Gives me an “Egypt (The Chains Are On)” feel. A different guitar tone in the solo, which builds nicely but doesn’t quite reach the promised climax. The outro soloing is better. 7.5

Deadman Walking – Another song that brings in unusual musical ideas. I like the inclusion of acoustic guitars. Really broadens the sound…but also drives home the idea that we need Paul Raymond to lay some tasty piano lines in the quieter moments. I really enjoyed Michaels solo in the middle. 8

Shadow Dancer – Maybe references classic UFO a little too much. Sounds like an outtake from Force It, just without the youthful vigor. 5

I gotta say, Phil isn’t really doing it for me. I can’t put a finger on it, but so far I’m not really enjoying his performances.

Someone’s Gonna Have to Pay – I remember this song being my favorite from the first listen. Yeah, love the bluesy honky-tonk romp mood. What the fuck is Phil singing about, now! :) The middle bit is one of those “sit up take notice moments” I was talking about. Love the lead guitar work and Phil’s performance there is really good—actually this is the first song where I really enjoy Phil throughout. Great song! 9.5

Sea of Faith – I really like the clean guitar riff. It mixes well with the crunchy guitar when it joins in. Good, catchy, chorus (for a change). Yeah, the middle instrumental break is awesome. Another great song and good performance from Phil. 9

Fighting Man – Decent, not great, rocker. Michael’s solo nearly saves it…6

Perfect View – A great heavy Schenker riff. Wasn’t too sure about the contrast of the mellower pre-chorus and chorus at first, but it’s growing on me. I’m digging the lead guitar work throughout. 8

Crossing Over – Meh, no. 3.5

Hawaii – Throw away idea. Could have been developed into something nice… 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not going to buy an album that I give an average of 6.5, but I may see if a few of these are available on Amazon for individual purchase.

I forgot that I’m scheduled to take a tour of the U of U stadium renovation this morning, so I’ll have to do my listen of Covenant later, if not tomorrow.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1484 on: October 27, 2020, 09:02:32 AM »
What do you have to do at the U of U?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1485 on: October 27, 2020, 10:28:14 AM »
Listened to Sharks a couple of times now. It's ok, nothing particularly outstanding about it and I'm unlikely to return to it given the several albums we've covered that were better.

It's not a total write off and I do like Crossing Over, which is classic UFO until the instrumental break which is a bit weird but at least it was short lived.

Sea of Faith is a bit different, and enjoyable.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: October 27, 2020, 11:14:55 AM »
What do you have to do at the U of U?

We may be upgrading our football season tickets to Club Level seating. We just took a tour of the new stadium seating and club level access is pretty plush. All inclusive food and drink, private bathrooms, fireplace lounge, exclusive entrance to the stadium, upgraded parking, not having to rub elbows with unwashed drunks...we just need to decide if it's worth the extra cash. My gut tells me it is, but we're going to think on it a bit. The only bad part is they are end zone seats, so the view isn't as prime as our 45 yard line current seats. Much closer to the field, though...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1487 on: October 27, 2020, 11:25:45 AM »
Oh, cool!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1488 on: October 27, 2020, 02:51:22 PM »
Need to listen again.  I thought Sea of Faith was kind of average on first listen.  Perfect View picked things up a bit later on.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: October 27, 2020, 03:18:16 PM »
Things are slow in the office today, so I cranked up Covenant. I'll spare y'all the play by play for each song. Yeah, I'm going to need to revise my earlier opinion of this album. It's a keeper. I'll probably buy it.

Only one real dud (Miss the Lights - I hate the plucky beep-beep-beep-beep riff), and one Meh song (Midnight train). The rest is really enjoyable. My favorites are Middle of Madness and The World and His Dog.

Overall, I like the intensity of Mogg's vocal delivery on most of these songs ("Give me back my life!") and nearly every time I think a song is heading for mediocrity, they pull out some interesting interlude/bridge/solo spot. Some of it is jarring, but with my third listen now, I've come around to how it serves the song.

------------------------

So now that the last Schenker albums are complete, I'm not looking forward to the rest of the discography. I'll stick with it and listen in, but to my mind Vinnie Moore is a pretty generic shredder. It will be interesting to see if diving in deep will change my opinion.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1490 on: October 27, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »
Need to listen again.  I thought Sea of Faith was kind of average on first listen.  Perfect View picked things up a bit later on.

Perfect View is a good song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1491 on: October 27, 2020, 03:26:23 PM »
Things are slow in the office today, so I cranked up Covenant. Yeah, I'm going to need to revise my earlier opinion of this album. It's a keeper. I'll probably buy it.

Only one real dud (Miss the Lights - I hate the plucky beep-beep-beep-beep riff), and one Meh song (Midnight train). The rest is really enjoyable. My favorites are Middle of Madness and The World and His Dog.

Overall, I like the intensity of Mogg's vocal delivery on most of these songs ("Give me back my life!") and nearly every time I think a song is heading for mediocrity, they pull out some interesting interlude/bridge/solo spot. Some of it is jarring, but with my third listen now, I've come around to how it serves the song.

I really love Covenant. As in it's on a top grouping for me. I love the energy and the songwriting. I think Schenker and Mogg totally bring it. Including Sharks, and the next couple MSG albums, Covenant is the diamond in the rough.
The Smell Of Money musically is freaking awesome, except that Phil keeps singing "The smell of money" over it.

So now that the last Schenker albums are complete, I'm not looking forward to the rest of the discography. I'll stick with it and listen in, but to my mind Vinnie Moore is a pretty generic shredder. It will be interesting to see if diving in deep will change my opinion.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You Are Here, which is the next UFO album is the heaviest of the Vinnie Era, but none of these albums qualifies as shredding. 

I have all sorts of conflicting opinions of the Vinnie Era. Can't wait to hear everyone else's!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1492 on: October 27, 2020, 03:40:39 PM »
Looking forward to this.  It's all new to me.  I'm not sure I've heard even one Vinnie Moore song all the way through.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: October 27, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »
So does UFO get heavier in the next stage of their material?  I like  it when classic rock/metal bands actually get heavier, Saxon definitely qualifies.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: October 27, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
So does UFO get heavier in the next stage of their material?  I like  it when classic rock/metal bands actually get heavier, Saxon definitely qualifies.

No, not really.  You Are Here as Tim said is a bit heavier but overall not all that much.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: October 27, 2020, 03:58:38 PM »
Interesting you guys don't know the Vinnie albums at all.  A lot of the Vinnie stuff is all I knew of UFO prior to this thread.  I was never blown away by the albums, but there's a lot of great songs in there.  Will be interesting my perspective on them now after going through the history of the band and liking them so much.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: October 27, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »
Helpful that I own all these ones on CD bar the last one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: October 27, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
Wait, what the fuck is with these 3 extra tracks on WOW?  I thought those were re-recorded too then I heard Bellas ripping up.  Not to mention old mate on this Schenker track. How fucking bizarre!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1498 on: October 27, 2020, 04:32:59 PM »
Wait, what the fuck is with these 3 extra tracks on WOW?  I thought those were re-recorded too then I heard Bellas ripping up.  Not to mention old mate on this Schenker track. How fucking bizarre!

Yeah, that rerelease has a bunch of stuff thrown onto it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1499 on: October 27, 2020, 04:48:55 PM »

No, not really.  You Are Here as Tim said is a bit heavier but overall not all that much.

Right. The Vinnie Era is definitely not heavy.

Interesting you guys don't know the Vinnie albums at all.  A lot of the Vinnie stuff is all I knew of UFO prior to this thread.  I was never blown away by the albums, but there's a lot of great songs in there.  Will be interesting my perspective on them now after going through the history of the band and liking them so much.

To me there's one album that I really love and rates pretty well in their discography. But there are some great songs on every album.

Looking forward to this.  It's all new to me.  I'm not sure I've heard even one Vinnie Moore song all the way through.

I think you're in for a treat then.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1500 on: October 27, 2020, 05:11:49 PM »
Interesting you guys don't know the Vinnie albums at all.  A lot of the Vinnie stuff is all I knew of UFO prior to this thread. I was never blown away by the albums, but there's a lot of great songs in there. Will be interesting my perspective on them now after going through the history of the band and liking them so much.
I totally agree with this. Because of this thread, I'm listening to The Maze (I didn't know any of Vinnie's solo albums) and I'm very impressed!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1501 on: October 27, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
Same here. The Maze is um..amazing!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: October 27, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »
You made me go back to them Tim as you know.  I knew them all pretty loosley but looking forward to go back through them all again.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: October 27, 2020, 05:17:23 PM »
Interesting you guys don't know the Vinnie albums at all.  A lot of the Vinnie stuff is all I knew of UFO prior to this thread. I was never blown away by the albums, but there's a lot of great songs in there. Will be interesting my perspective on them now after going through the history of the band and liking them so much.
I totally agree with this. Because of this thread, I'm listening to The Maze (I didn't know any of Vinnie's solo albums) and I'm very impressed!

He's a hell of a guitarist.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: October 27, 2020, 06:36:11 PM »
Going through Sharks again, and yeah, I really like the first 4 songs.  That's a great opening run.  Shadow Dancer is fine for what it is and I enjoyed Someone's Gonna Have to Pay is a nice change of pace which I enjoyed more too.  Hopefully the rest opens up a bit more second time around.

I can see how some would have issues with the production.  I'm quite liking Schenker here too.  Not feeling the comments that he's phoning things in.  I understand what you guys mean, but he's still doing some great stuff.