Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142324 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Covenant
« Reply #1435 on: October 23, 2020, 04:20:01 PM »
Not sure I really want to give the Pete Way a go as I have heard him sing 😳

Well, it is what it is. It's pretty raw, but I kind of like it here.

The Acoustic Animal album he did was godawful. But this, and The Plot, are just fine to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1436 on: October 23, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
I'll try and get into at least both those Schenker instrumental albums by the end of the weekend.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1437 on: October 23, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
I'll try and get into at least both those Schenker instrumental albums by the end of the weekend.

Well, there's three! :lol

Yeah, no rush or worries.

Bought and downloaded Adventures in Imagination, but I won't be getting Covenant. It was a descent listen, but I'm sure I won't listen to it outside of the listening party...sadly.

Even though I did warm a little to it, I'm probably on the same page with you on that one mate.

That's cool. Glad you guys checked it out. It's a Listening Party, not a Buying Party! Even though I was looking forward to my 15%! :lol

I look forward to both of your comments on Sharks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1438 on: October 23, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
I don't want to beat a dead horse, and you like what you like, but what turned you guys off Covenant? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1439 on: October 24, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
So I spent yesterday listening to some new music. I'm a huge old school Armored Saint fan, so I had to get a listen to that in, and I also checked out the new Defecto which is actually pretty excellent.

Tonight I thought I'd pull up one of the shows in the Strangers set. I have a rough soundboard already of the Chicago show, so I figured I'd start with the Wisconsin show.

Holy shit, I'm only through Love To Love, and this is goosebump city.

This has a great mix too. Michael is in the right and Paul Raymond's guitar in the left. Paul really stands out in Ain't No Baby.

Goddamn, Michael's solo on Love To Love is fucking killer. It's different than what made the album, but it is phenomenal.
Let It Roll..INCREDIBLE!

This set is really a dream come true for a UFO fan. This is them at their all time peak. Amazing that Schenker would play his last show with the band about two weeks later. He is ON FIRE on this.

The solo on On With The Action from Youngstown is ridiculous. And Paul is playing the dirty rhythm underneath.

Rock Bottom is from Louisville.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:39:20 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: October 24, 2020, 10:55:40 PM »
So I spent yesterday listening to some new music. I'm a huge old school Armored Saint fan, so I had to get a listen to that in, and I also checked out the new Defecto which is actually pretty excellent.

Tonight I thought I'd pull up one of the shows in the Strangers set. I have a rough soundboard already of the Chicago show, so I figured I'd start with the Wisconsin show.

Holy shit, I'm only through Love To Love, and this is goosebump city.

This has a great mix too. Michael is in the right and Paul Raymond's guitar in the left. Paul really stands out in Ain't No Baby.

Goddamn, Michael's solo on Love To Love is fucking killer. It's different than what made the album, but it is phenomenal.
Let It Roll..INCREDIBLE!

This set is really a dream come true for a UFO fan. This is them at their all time peak. Amazing that Schenker would play his last show with the band about two weeks later. He is ON FIRE on this.

The solo on On With The Action from Youngstown is ridiculous. And Paul is playing the dirty rhythm underneath.

Rock Bottom is from Louisville.

Are you trying to send me broke?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: October 24, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »
I don't want to beat a dead horse, and you like what you like, but what turned you guys off Covenant?

This is actually hard to answer.  I'll think about it and see if I can answer later.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1442 on: October 25, 2020, 06:52:15 PM »
Are you trying to send me broke?

Hah!

After listening to the Wisconsin show, I bounced around a bit.
It's like getting 6 Strangers In The Nights! Each show is different, but the band is really consistent. These shows were gloriously recorded.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1443 on: October 25, 2020, 10:30:09 PM »
Spot checking a few tracks from the Strangers box and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. I then did a compare of the WAV forms from the most recent Strangers release to these, and the mastering on these is quite low. They really left a lot of dynamic range open on these. Had to crank my volume. Very happy about that. I originally thought they sounded weak, until I realized they mastered them well. Doesn't happen a lot these days.

Meant to download Love To Love from Wisconsin but did Chicago. Cracking solo on that too!. Schenker is the man. Listening to the Wisconsin one now. This set does sound amazing. Can't wait for the discs to show up.

How 'bout the timing on this set? Kinda perfect, considering this thread.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: October 25, 2020, 10:33:22 PM »
If I could find this locally I'd definitely splash my money on it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: October 25, 2020, 10:34:23 PM »
I'm lagging behind at the moment, work has been pretty hectic so I may come back to those Schenker albums and just wait for Sharks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1446 on: October 25, 2020, 10:57:15 PM »
 Because of this thread, I actually listened to covenant in the car yesterday. I’ve owned it for  20 years and I think I just listen to it for the very first time. ( it was a cardboard sleeve store demo from a cd shop I used to work in that I never got around to listening to. )

I was fairly turned off by the first track, but every track after that really won me over. I think I’ll be leaving this in my CD player for a while.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:01 PM »
Because of this thread, I actually listened to covenant in the car yesterday. I’ve owned it for  20 years and I think I just listen to it for the very first time. ( it was a cardboard sleeve store demo from a cd shop I used to work in that I never got around to listening to. )

I was fairly turned off by the first track, but every track after that really won me over. I think I’ll be leaving this in my CD player for a while.

The 'hole in her breast' line really threw me the first time I heard Love Is Forever.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1448 on: October 26, 2020, 05:01:29 AM »
It took a couple listens for Love Is Forever, but Schenker really won that track over for me. He sounds great in the chorus, the I really like how he finishes.

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: October 26, 2020, 05:31:10 AM »
Went out to an old school independent CD store about 45 minutes away on Saturday arvo and found a physical copy of WOW, with the 5 bonus tracks.  :metal Second hand and cost me a hefty 30 bucks but mint condition.  Well worth it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1450 on: October 26, 2020, 05:33:46 AM »
Spot checking a few tracks from the Strangers box and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. I then did a compare of the WAV forms from the most recent Strangers release to these, and the mastering on these is quite low. They really left a lot of dynamic range open on these. Had to crank my volume. Very happy about that. I originally thought they sounded weak, until I realized they mastered them well. Doesn't happen a lot these days.

Interesting. To me ears I felt some instruments were adjusted a bit for the Strangers proper. I don't remember Paul Raymond's guitar being as distinct, and I thought that Schenker's solo on the album were turned up in spots.
But hearing the different instruments clearly nicely balanced, especially live, is fantastic.

And yes...perfect timing! News broke of the release pretty much as we were discussing the album. Love UFO!

Went out to an old school independent CD store about 45 minutes away on Saturday arvo and found a physical copy of WOW, with the 5 bonus tracks.  :metal Second hand and cost me a hefty 30 bucks but mint condition.  Well worth it.

Old School FTW :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1451 on: October 26, 2020, 05:34:01 AM »
I'm lagging behind at the moment, work has been pretty hectic so I may come back to those Schenker albums and just wait for Sharks.

No worries, Kade. Michael Schenker is really active from here on out. It will seem a bit much, but it's fine to stay on UFO, and then go back to Schenker.

Speaking of Sharks...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Sharks
« Reply #1452 on: October 26, 2020, 05:35:10 AM »
Sharks

Sharks-2002

Released September 3, 2002

1. Outlaw Man
2. Quicksilver Rider
3. Serenity
4. Deadman Walking
5. Shadow Dancer
6. Someone's Gonna Have To Pay
7. Sea Of Faith
8. Fighting Man
9. Perfect View
10. Crossing Over
11. Hawaii

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Michael Schenker-Guitar
Pete Way-Bass
Ainsley Dunbar-Drums

Kevin Carlson-Keyboards

After the abbreviated Covenant tour, Michael leaves and releases MSG's Be Aware Of Scorpions (I'll post about this later). But miraculously, Michael returns to UFO to give it another go.

Sharks had positive reviews compared with Covenant. Even Pete Way calls it "a proper UFO record". He also says "It's actually one of the best albums we've ever done".
Wait..wut?

Sharks sounds a lot closer to Walk On Water than the loud and boisterous Covenant. Sharks is pretty easy on the ears, but i don't know, I just think that Covenant really pushes it. To me, Michael is sleepwalking through Sharks, and would be gone for good by the time the album is released.

Fighting Man would show up in the setlists years later in the Vinnie Era. My favorite song is easily Sea Of Faith. It's also the most Schenker-esque of the tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: October 26, 2020, 05:37:59 AM »
 :metal

I'll revisit Covenant again too.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1454 on: October 26, 2020, 05:41:07 AM »
I bought sharks when it came out but I don’t remember a thing about it other than that I thought it was rubbish. Will have a listen today and see what I think now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: October 26, 2020, 05:43:01 AM »
Schenker go in gv for the hobo look also on that back cover.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1456 on: October 26, 2020, 08:18:06 AM »
This is one of those albums that I listen to periodically thinking, "oh, Michael Schenker in UFO!" and I'm usually underwhelmed when I listen.  And even though I listened to it a week or so ago - and thought it decent - I can't look at the titles and say "Oh, Deadman Walking! That's excellent!"   

I prefer WOW and Covenant more, but I would never say Sharks "sucks" or anything. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1457 on: October 26, 2020, 09:19:52 AM »
I agree with Stadler. Sharks really feels uninspired, but it’s not a terrible album. I think it’s just an album that don’t have anything truly remarkable, which it is very disapointing for a Shencker’s UFO album. Being generous, I think Outlaw Man, Deadman Walking, Someone’s Gotta Have to Pay, Sea of Faith and Fighting Man are interesting or even good songs, at best.

Ranking:

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT – 9.5
MAKING CONTACT/WALK ON WATER – 9.0
NO PLACE TO RUN/HIGH STAKES & DANGEROUS MEN/MOGG-WAY – CHOCOLATE BOX – 8.5
PHENOMENON/MOGG-WAY – EDGE OF THE WORLD/COVENANT  – 8.0
MISDEMEANOR/?/? – 7.5
AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’/? – 7.0
? – 6.5
SHARKS/? – 6.0
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1458 on: October 26, 2020, 11:19:53 AM »
Did anyone check out the Pete Way album?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1459 on: October 26, 2020, 01:54:02 PM »
With the time I have, I'm more concentrated in re-listening to UFO albums and re-listening and really listening some of the Michael Schenker albums for the first time. Because of that,  I think I'll pass Pete's solo work. But, just a comment, I've heard a bit of Waysted - The Harsh Reality and my first impression was that it's a really good and interesting album! I think this one won't make the final cut here, right?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: October 26, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »
I'll catch up with the Sharks album this week.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: October 26, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
Listened to Sharks today. My first impression was that it had better variety to the song writing and more "sit up and take notice" moments than with Covenant. The negative is that the mix seems really hot. The vocals and guitar are overly loud for the volume I was listening at.

Tomorrow, I plan to re-listen to both, back to back. The plan is to listen with headphones while give the albums my full attention. Then maybe I can answer Stadler's question...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1462 on: October 26, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »
Listened to Sharks today. My first impression was that it had better variety to the song writing and more "sit up and take notice" moments than with Covenant.

That's interesting.

The negative is that the mix seems really hot. The vocals and guitar are overly loud for the volume I was listening at.

Huh..

Tomorrow, I plan to re-listen to both, back to back. The plan is to listen with headphones while give the albums my full attention. Then maybe I can answer Stadler's question...

Great! Looking forward to your thoughts!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: October 26, 2020, 05:49:03 PM »
Listened to the first 5 songs on the way to work this morning.  Not understanding the negative thoughts on this one, so far it's great.  Serenity is amazing, so dark and heavy with great melodies.  Deadman Walking had a lot of cool stuff going on too, lots of different colours to the track overall.  The first two were a nice double punch also.  Shadow Dancer seems pretty filler though, but Schenkers parts helped the song tremendously.  The production is a bit off but I can live with it.  Looking forward to the rest.  So far, I'll easily take this over Covenant.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: October 26, 2020, 05:49:22 PM »
Listened to Sharks today. My first impression was that it had better variety to the song writing and more "sit up and take notice" moments than with Covenant.

Absolutely.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1465 on: October 26, 2020, 06:31:25 PM »

Absolutely.

Wow!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: October 26, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »

Absolutely.

Wow!

I'm still trying to find words for my less than enthusiastic views on Covenant.  WOW did take a few listens so I think it might still need a couple more.  It just seemed it lack memorable melodies compared to other UFO maybe?  I'll try again, but yeah, the first half of Sharks is much more my thing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1467 on: October 26, 2020, 07:01:00 PM »
I do agree with you that Serenity is excellent. I think you'll really like Sea Of Faith.

I'm really enjoying this Listening Party and the different opinions. Every time I throw shade at an album, you guys like it. :lol
I actually really appreciate that!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: October 26, 2020, 07:10:07 PM »
I do agree with you that Serenity is excellent. I think you'll really like Sea Of Faith.

I'm really enjoying this Listening Party and the different opinions. Every time I throw shade at an album, you guys like it. :lol
I actually really appreciate that!

When I was listening to Serenity I thought while driving, 'hmmm....Tim is going to think I'm going against his opinions on purpose now.'  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1469 on: October 26, 2020, 07:11:07 PM »
Hah! I really appreciate your perspective!