Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142736 times)

devieira73 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Covenant
« Reply #1400 on: October 21, 2020, 06:15:11 PM »
I really dig that proggy like section before Schenker solos in Fools Gold.

Yes, that's a great part and that solo rules!

Fool's Gold is a great tune. Really one of the best on the album. I love the opening to it. Schenker really makes that intro something special.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1401 on: October 21, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »
The second listen was much better.  Still nowhere near WOW level for me though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: October 21, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »
In the Middle of Madness I enjoyed quite a bit too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1403 on: October 21, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
So many great tunes on this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1404 on: October 21, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »
Just starting my listen of Covenant (Thanks Stads!). First thought 2 songs is that Phil is singing with a passion and electricity in is voice. He seems to just be going for it. Wonder if there was a reason (sober, etc?). Either way, he is bringing it on this so far.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: October 21, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »
Just starting my listen of Covenant (Thanks Stads!). First thought 2 songs is that Phil is singing with a passion and electricity in is voice. He seems to just be going for it. Wonder if there was a reason (sober, etc?). Either way, he is bringing it on this so far.

Lol, too funny that sobriety is the first thing that comes to mind.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1406 on: October 21, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
Yeah, it was literally the only thing that came to mind.

Just finished my listen. Another solid record from start to finish. No complaints and no skippers. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Phil kept that energy going the whole time and it really gave the whole thing a high energy feel to it. And no disrespect to Andy, but Dunbar just brings a whole different level of playing to their music. He has really stood out to me on everything he has played on so far. Makes me wish he was on more of their stuff. Just a beast of a drummer.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: October 21, 2020, 10:25:31 PM »
Yeah, it was literally the only thing that came to mind.

Just finished my listen. Another solid record from start to finish. No complaints and no skippers. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Phil kept that energy going the whole time and it really gave the whole thing a high energy feel to it. And no disrespect to Andy, but Dunbar just brings a whole different level of playing to their music. He has really stood out to me on everything he has played on so far. Makes me wish he was on more of their stuff. Just a beast of a drummer.

There were a few cool proggish moments that the drums stood out to me too.  Kind of different for UFO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: October 22, 2020, 05:31:33 AM »
The live songs included here are very cool too.  Loved hearing the WOW songs live and Love to Love might have the coolest Schenker solo on any version I've heard so far.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1409 on: October 22, 2020, 05:43:26 AM »
I've never spent very much time with the live tracks. The only one I have really listened to is Pushed To The Limit, and sometimes Let It Roll.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1410 on: October 22, 2020, 05:54:57 AM »
I've never spent very much time with the live tracks. The only one I have really listened to is Pushed To The Limit, and sometimes Let It Roll.

Let it Roll was very nice too.  Schenker nails those fast solos in Limit also.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1411 on: October 22, 2020, 06:10:25 AM »
I didn't really forget about it, but there's a live album from the 1998 UK tour called Werewolves Of London, recorded in Wolverhampton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOCTgVVs0Q

It actually has a good setlist:

Natural Thing
Mother Mary
Self Made Man
Electric Phase
This Kids
Out In The Streets
One More For The Rodeo
Venus
Pushed To The Limit
Love To Love
Too Hot To Handle
Only You Can Rock Me
Lights Out
Doctor Doctor
Rock Bottom

For some reason, I've never thought that much of it though. It's been YEARS since I listened. I think I'm going to pull it out today.

Here's an awesome video from the London show!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaPqrzUJVf0

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1412 on: October 22, 2020, 07:19:31 AM »
I didn't really forget about it, but there's a live album from the 1998 UK tour called Werewolves Of London, recorded in Wolverhampton.

Natural Thing
Mother Mary
Self Made Man
Electric Phase
This Kids
Out In The Streets
One More For The Rodeo
Venus
Pushed To The Limit
Love To Love
Too Hot To Handle
Only You Can Rock Me
Lights Out
Doctor Doctor
Rock Bottom

For some reason, I've never thought that much of it though. It's been YEARS since I listened. I think I'm going to pull it out today.

That is a KILLER setlist, though.  I mean, top to bottom.   (I'm a huge fan of "A Self Made Man" - the fruits of "Yes you can!")

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: October 22, 2020, 07:26:42 AM »
This might be a little abstract, but... there are several bands that I like little "segments" of their discography.  I love the "77-80" Yes, for example (GFTO, Tormato, Drama).    I love the "75-78" Sabbath (Sabotage/Technical Ecstacy/Never Say Die).    Kiss:  the early 79-81 period (Dynasy/Unmasked/The Elder).  I'd never put those up as the "Best" of that band, it's just what I like.  If someone asked me, "Stads, I need to hear one album by Yes or Kiss to see if I like them or not; what do you suggest?"  I'm never giving them Tormato or Unmasked.

But I think you could take the three Schenker UFO reunion albums and hand them to someone and say "this is UFO; if you like this, you can pretty much find something anywhere in the catalogue; if you don't, I'm not sure there's a reason to keep listening".    I'm not saying that they are the best, or that they have all the best songs; I'm just saying that all the things that - to me - make UFO great are somewhere on those three albums.   Otjher than Mechanix, I certainly go for WOW and Covenant more than the other records, even if there are other songs I like better (Love To Love, Out In The Streets).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1414 on: October 22, 2020, 08:15:02 AM »
Bill you mentioned that you had Covenant first. How did you come about getting it?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1415 on: October 22, 2020, 08:31:20 AM »
I'll go back and look, but if memory serves, I got it around the time I went to see Michael on the Schenkerfest tour. I can be a little of a "completist", so I have all the Schenker UFO albums in that compilation, and thought I would get the three "reunion" albums.  The logic was that even if the album BLOWS, I get a live CD along with it, with some cool tunes. I bought it either on eBay or Discogs.

EDIT:  Yep; I saw MS in March of 2018, I bought Covenant in April, Sharks in May, and WOW in June, all on eBay.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:47:00 AM by Stadler »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: October 22, 2020, 03:14:20 PM »

Natural Thing
Mother Mary
Self Made Man
Electric Phase
This Kids
Out In The Streets
One More For The Rodeo
Venus
Pushed To The Limit
Love To Love
Too Hot To Handle
Only You Can Rock Me
Lights Out
Doctor Doctor
Rock Bottom

This set list is unbelievable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1417 on: October 22, 2020, 04:58:11 PM »
I kind of accidentally on purpose forgot this live album. My major problem with it is that Schenker's guitars are mixed really loud, and Paul Raymond's rhythm guitar is barely audible. That kind of pissed me off, and it's the reason I never listen to it.

I did just listen to most of Disc 1 on my way home. I mean, other than what I mentioned, it's pretty good. It might be the best version of Electric Phase there is.

I should mention that Paul's keyboards are appropriately mixed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: October 22, 2020, 05:45:47 PM »
I kind of accidentally on purpose forgot this live album. My major problem with it is that Schenker's guitars are mixed really loud, and Paul Raymond's rhythm guitar is barely audible. That kind of pissed me off, and it's the reason I never listen to it.

I did just listen to most of Disc 1 on my way home. I mean, other than what I mentioned, it's pretty good. It might be the best version of Electric Phase there is.

I should mention that Paul's keyboards are appropriately mixed.

I'll check this one when I get a chance mate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1419 on: October 22, 2020, 07:13:42 PM »
So, I'm going to post an album dump to take you guys into the weekend.

Hopefully no one gets overwhelmed. I'm just posting and check what you want. I do have a couple of drop the needle recommendations included in the post.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1420 on: October 22, 2020, 07:14:13 PM »

2000 was a really productive year for Michael Schenker. Besides recording Covenant, he produced THREE instrumental albums.

Adventures Of The Imagination

https://open.spotify.com/album/6NHzrapqHcqLQdP2VO0aIL?si=0Aw5oD6eQ6eKXfuOCPY2Kw

Released March 7, 2000

1. Achtung Fertig, Los!
2. Open Gate
3. Three Fish Dancing
4. Michael Schenker Junior
5. Aardvark In A VW Smoking A Cigar
6. I Want To Be With You
7. Old Man With Sheep On Mars
8. At The End Of The Day
9. Hand In Hand

Michael Schenker-Guitar
John Onder-Bass
Aynsley Dunbar-Drums

I absolutely love Adventures Of The Imagination. When deciding to present just my favorite Schenker albums, or include his entire discography, I knew straight off that I was going to highlight this one regardless.

I do have a personal connection to it as well. In 2000, I was diagnosed with Diabetes. While at work one day, my wife decided she would go to the record store nearby and get something to cheer me up. She had no clue what to get, so she was describing my tastes to the guy at the store. She mentioned I liked UFO, so he recommended Adventures, which was brand new at the time. I mean. what are the chances of that? My wife didn't recognize it, so figuring I didn't have it, she bought it and it was waiting for me when I got home. Glorious!

Open Gate and At The End Of The Day are two of my all time favorite Schenker tracks. But there's some great moments all the way throughout. And Aynsley Dunbar is recorded much better here than on Covenant.

I highly recommend this.

The Odd Trio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00ik88kLQU&list=PLM0QWHFvEjTbrzBT-xjBxNPbqPVfkgUh6

Released November 2000

1. Far Beyond The Ocean
2. Searchin'
3. Rockin' And Lovin'
4. Welcome
5. The Good Old Days
6. Watching
7. In Good Faith
8. Acheivement
9. Hangin' Out
10. It's OK

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Harry Cobham (Michael Schenker)-Bass
Kathy Brown (Michael Schenker)-Drums

This album is pretty interesting if only that Michael plays every instrument. Sure the drums are pretty straightforward. It's not my go to album for him, but I definitely enjoy it.
Most of the tracks start off with a basic guitar rhythm and he adds some pretty tastey licks in the mid sections. It's an album that is clearly banged out as is.

Gotta love the back cover picture of the "band".

MS2000: Dreams And Expressions

https://open.spotify.com/album/4ypEOkVUCGcgZrdBiEkIfq?si=8jsLOlYfSwmPwddpzHS9Zg

Released January 24, 2001

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Barry Sparks-Bass
Shane Gaalaas-Drums

Dreams And Expressions is another album that is totally banged out as is. The songs, or tracks rather, are assigned a letter from the album title in order. So the first song is D, the second one R, the third one E, and so on, until it spells out Dreams And Expressions. They are all pretty short tracks averaging about 2 minutes each. It really seems like a collection of ideas, than anything else. Like something he'd take to making an album, and then would arrange many of the parts into something more.
Still, it's an interesting concept to release this.
I think some of the best stuff is towards the end of the album.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also in 2000, Pete Way also releases his first solo album...

Amphetamine

https://open.spotify.com/album/70kWFxvCi6tQGsbFQ7yVEK?si=cMy1f0dyShK5ewITSPtU3w

Released 2000

1. That's Tuff
Hangin' Out
Fooled Again
4. American Kid (What A Shame)
5. Hole
6. Hole 2
7. Crazy
8. Hand To Hold

Pete Way-Bass/Vocals
Walt James-Guitar
Scott Phillips-Drums

An album about drugs and the drug lifestyle. I've mentioned before, Pete was a heroin addict at this point.
But he manages a really interesting and honest peek inside his world on this album.

Pete Way is obviously not a singer, but personally, I kind of find a charm in his vocals. I've described his vocals as kind of a cross between Lemmy and Ace Frehley. He has a real punk rock style to his vocals too. Walt James and Scott Phillips are really solid, and give these songs a lift that they may or may not deserve.

If anybody wants to drop the needle on this, I'd recommend the one-two punch of Hole and Hole 2. The song is basically Pete writing about waiting for his fix to be delivered. While Hole is the more aggressive of the two, Hole 2 has a great and addicting Rod Stewart style vibe to it. Hand To Hold is also a great album closer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: October 22, 2020, 08:44:25 PM »
Many spliffs were smoked that day with that back cover.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1422 on: October 22, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »
Which album?

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1423 on: October 22, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »
Just listened to a few tracks from Adventures of the Imagination. Will be adding that to my list of albums to buy, along with Covenant  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1424 on: October 22, 2020, 08:54:08 PM »
Just listened to a few tracks from Adventures of the Imagination. Will be adding that to my list of albums to buy, along with Covenant  :metal

:metal

It's a really good album that I go back to quite a bit.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1425 on: October 22, 2020, 09:03:53 PM »
I bought Adventures back when it was released. I have no idea why I bought it. I really knew nothing about Schenker and did not have anything else from him. A perplexing buy that I never regretted, but even stranger, I never sought anything else out.

Just one of those weird impulse buys, I guess.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1426 on: October 23, 2020, 01:16:15 AM »
I looked at the band picture of The Odd Trio before reading your explanation for the band. My first reaction was what is Tim asking people to listen to 😆

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: October 23, 2020, 05:14:45 AM »
Bought and downloaded Adventures in Imagination, but I won't be getting Covenant. It was a descent listen, but I'm sure I won't listen to it outside of the listening party...sadly.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: October 23, 2020, 05:49:34 AM »
Bought and downloaded Adventures in Imagination, but I won't be getting Covenant. It was a descent listen, but I'm sure I won't listen to it outside of the listening party...sadly.

Even though I did warm a little to it, I'm probably on the same page with you on that one mate.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1430 on: October 23, 2020, 08:27:31 AM »
So I opened my Amazon Music app this morning and was flooded with the Strangers Deluxe set, which surprised me as it's not out for another month. Turns out, the digital is out today and the physical is next month. For those of us that pre-ordered the physical from Amazon you should have access to the whole thing now.

Get listening!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1431 on: October 23, 2020, 09:16:22 AM »
Played the first two of those Schenker instrumental albums last week and enjoyed them. The Odd Trio was a cool idea. That wacky German sense of humour.

I’ll give Dreams a go.

Not sure I really want to give the Pete Way a go as I have heard him sing 😳

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1432 on: October 23, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »
So I opened my Amazon Music app this morning and was flooded with the Strangers Deluxe set, which surprised me as it's not out for another month. Turns out, the digital is out today and the physical is next month. For those of us that pre-ordered the physical from Amazon you should have access to the whole thing now.

Get listening!

Awesome. Yup I have the download email. I’ll grab it when I get home from work.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1433 on: October 23, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »
About Adventures of Imagination:
Excellent album and Michael Schenker really succeded to make instrumental songs very different from the ones of MSG and yet, with a very recognizable signature sound. It doesn't sound at all like a Satriani, Morse, Vai etc album.
Three Fish Dancing and Aardvark..., with their progness, maybe are my favorite, but I love all the album. Great drumming by Dunbar and the vibe and overall sound of the album are wonderful.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1434 on: October 23, 2020, 04:09:25 PM »
Excellent! :tup

I'm not a big instrumental guitar "hero" guy, and maybe it's because I was already a big fan, but I love this album and listen to it all of the time.