Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142607 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Force It
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2020, 07:05:19 AM »
Now we're talking.

Great album from start to finish, though the definitive versions of these songs are on Strangers In The Night.

Let It Roll is a great song, but I struggle to listen to this version as the vocal is massively inferior to the Strangers version (that I heard first).

Schenker's playing is so melodic but rocking.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2020, 07:09:49 AM »
That Lonestar song also nicks the opening riff to Burn.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Holy crap, so much to chew on here...   

On topic:   Force It is an excellent album.  For me the standout tracks are Mother Mary and especially Out In The Street.  That's one of my favorite UFO songs ever; I just love Mogg's vocals on that track.    Too Much Of Nothing is good; I think "Out In The Street" is the sleeper hit, but that's just me.  To-may-to, to-mah-to.  Let It Roll and Shoot Shoot are solid, too. This Kids/Between The Walls is excellent; I always thought BtW was sort of what Caviar and Meths by Judas Priest could have been.  I kind of dig watching a band grow right before our eyes; not that Phenomenon is bad - it's not - but this is clearly a band that is getting better with every tour and every album.  This is a great album to put on and listen to in it's entirety; other than Love Lost Love, there's not a track on there that I would ever skip. 

Trivia (for which I do not have the answer!): what is that riff at the start of Dance Your Life Away? It reminds me of something and it's driving me crazy! 

The cover is interesting; the two people are famous - well, relatively; they are two performance artists, Genesis P-Orridge and Cosey Fanni Tutti, that later formed the band "Throbbing Gristle" (an influence on Trent Reznor).   Google at your own risk.  Horrible pun though ("Force It"/"faucet"). 

Slightly off topic:  I never heard of Lone Star (well, I did but I thought it was a country band from the 90's).   They were hard to find, but then I realized that's Paul Chapman!   I saw the live version of that song on YouTube and it's like a Steel Panther show; the intro riff is Burn without the resolution of the last chord.  The singer - John Sloman? - is clearly doing a Robert Plant impression, with the open kimono top, the long blonde hair and the off hand wave of the hand on every verse.  And the chorus is rather similiar to Mother Mary, isn't it (a song that Chapman no doubt played at that point)?   

Way off topic:  I kind of think SitN is getting to be "too" revered; it's good - it's very good - but I don't see it as the be all and end all that most do; having said that, the live version of Mother Mary just slays.   The atmospherics of Mogg's vocals, the keyboards, and the heft of Michael's guitars...  that ambiance of the crowd behind Mogg as he sings "Mother Mary...." it's like you're there. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2020, 08:19:26 AM »
If Phenomenon was a very consistent and good album, UFO was really begginning to take off with this one! A good chunck of the album, like Let It Roll (what a riff!), Shoot Shoot, High Flyer (started here the UFO’s habit of writing great ballads?), Out on the Street, Mother Mary (what a riff! 2) and This Kid’s,  shows the band’s greatness. The other songs are good, maybe Dance Your Life Away, the less good of them, with UFO trying to sound a bit funky. Resuming, a very good album, with a lot of classics! The production is a bit raw, but fortunately we have better recordings of a lot of these songs on Strangers in the Night.
Just a head’s up, TAC is already posting youtube links for the live shows from each tour, but, if you have Spotify or something similar, I strongly recommend to hear “The Official Bootleg Box Set (1975-1982)”, where you can hear good quality recordings from almost every tour in that period. The first one is from Force It tour (in this case, I think it's the same from The Record Plant's youtube link).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:26:33 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2020, 08:25:27 AM »

Trivia (for which I do not have the answer!): what is that riff at the start of Dance Your Life Away? It reminds me of something and it's driving me crazy! 

That bass riff? I didn't do a research, but it seems something off Led Zeppelin I or II.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2020, 08:40:57 AM »

That bass riff? I didn't do a research, but it seems something off Led Zeppelin I or II.

No, the intro guitar lick.   I'm thinking Blackmore off of Burn or Stormbringer but I don't think that's it.   

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2020, 09:10:10 AM »
Horrible pun though ("Force It"/"faucet"). 

And a really horrible cover. I read somewhere that was exactly what Hipgnosis did when they designed the cover and where all the faucets come into play.

That is one thing that has bugged me about going through their catalog, some either truly awful or truly puzzling album covers. I normally couldn't care less, but these struck a cord with me for some reason. They are memorable and maybe that's the point.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2020, 10:41:20 AM »
Force It is an excellent album.  For me the standout tracks are Mother Mary and especially Out In The Street.  That's one of my favorite UFO songs ever; I just love Mogg's vocals on that track

. . .

Way off topic:  I kind of think SitN is getting to be "too" revered; it's good - it's very good - but I don't see it as the be all and end all that most do; having said that, the live version of Mother Mary just slays.   The atmospherics of Mogg's vocals, the keyboards, and the heft of Michael's guitars...  that ambiance of the crowd behind Mogg as he sings "Mother Mary...." it's like you're there.

All those are excellent songs, but This Kid's is #1 for me on this album.

I'll save most of my comments on SitN until we get there.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2020, 12:00:11 PM »
Yeah...about that um...live version of Mother Mary....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2020, 12:15:03 PM »

Way off topic:  I kind of think SitN is getting to be "too" revered; it's good - it's very good - but I don't see it as the be all and end all that most do

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me SitN is like a greatest hits compilation of that era of the band with more energetic versions of the songs. Also, as someone else already mentioned, the vocal melody for Let it Roll is far superior on the live version.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2020, 02:43:17 PM »
Force It is their best album.

The album cover isn’t great but I’ve seen worse for UFO. Come to think of it, all the UFO album covers are pretty crappy.

Just to retread what I missed so far:

I can’t bring myself to listen to UFO1 or 2. They’d make pretty good stoner rock albums though.

Phenomenon is excellent. Hard hitting rock album that has their most well known tracks. 

I’d gotten into UFO about ten years ago thanks to TAC (along with Thin Lizzy, which I rate higher than UFO). Somehow I skipped the whole mid/late 70s hard rock scene, going straight from Zep/Tull/Genesis etc and the 70s prog scene to 80s metal like Maiden, Metallica and Mercyful Fate. The darker themes just appealed to me, on top of the fact that these metal bands had prog leanings. 666? Satan? Cthulhu? I was on board. I found no appeal in music that focused on barrooms, groupies and hookers.

But there’s a ‘meat and potatoes’ (I think these are TACs words) quality about bands like UFO that finally got to me. There’s a sentimentality and sincerity on these albums that just grabs you. And the playing is great. Excellent rhythm section, not to mention Schenker. When I heard his playing, it dawned on me where Mercyful Fate got their inspiration for a lot of their riffs and solos. 

But Force It. One of the best hard rock albums ever.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:48:49 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
Yes, I like Force It quite a bit and Lights Out as well. Seen them live twice too. Great live band really.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
When I heard his playing, it dawned on me where Mercyful Fate got their inspiration for a lot of their riffs and solos. 

Yeah exactly.  You can hear that right away.  Pretty sure Michael Dennar thinks he's Shenker.  He was the first one I though of when listening to Phenomenon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:10:33 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUbWQO4yjFk&list=OLAK5uy_mIjznJ1oGWGrfFXBgA2O7l-bQfWL7_poY

Vinnie Moore shared this on Facebook- the info is all wrong but a shout out at least 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
Been so happy to read all of the comments today while at work.

I think this where Mogg really started to come into his own. I don't know if it was his or Lyon's idea to have so much more vocal harmonies but they really add to the performances. Tim, have you ever heard who it was who was singing those harmonies? It doesn't sound like Mogg double tracked. I suspect it may have been Way but I don't know why I think that.

My understanding is that it is James Dewar from Robin Trower's Band. On the back of the album is says thanks to Jimmy and Bobby. Pretty sure Jimmy is Dewar. Not sure who Bobby is though. I think I grew up assuming they were Pete Way as well, but I was suspicious once I finally heard Pete sing.

Also I must say that those vocal harmonies are awful. They kind of bring the album down a notch for me. I have always found them really distracting.

When I heard his playing, it dawned on me where Mercyful Fate got their inspiration for a lot of their riffs and solos. 

Yeah exactly.  You can hear that right away.  Pretty sure Michael Dennar thinks he's Shenker.  He was the first one I though of when listening to Phenomenon.

Can't really comment on Denner, but I heard Schenker in Andy LaRoque's playing for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2020, 05:25:25 PM »

Lay Down Sally?

Slightly off topic:  I never heard of Lone Star (well, I did but I thought it was a country band from the 90's).   They were hard to find, but then I realized that's Paul Chapman!   I saw the live version of that song on YouTube and it's like a Steel Panther show; the intro riff is Burn without the resolution of the last chord.  The singer - John Sloman? - is clearly doing a Robert Plant impression, with the open kimono top, the long blonde hair and the off hand wave of the hand on every verse.  And the chorus is rather similiar to Mother Mary, isn't it (a song that Chapman no doubt played at that point)?   

Um...that was the whole point of linking that song  ;D
Chapman claim's to have helped write Mother Mary.

And yes, that is John Sloman.

John Sloman would feature quite prominently on a future UFO album too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2020, 06:29:07 PM »
I bought so many classic albums in '75, but very few have stuck with me like Force It. Physical Graffiti and Night at the Opera being the only real contenders.

Lyons improved his skills tremendously with this album (or maybe just had a better engineer). Parker and Way are much easier to hear and follow along with. It really gives this album more of a band feel and helps you appreciate just how fantastic of a rhythm section they are. Chick Churchill's contributions really broadened their sound

The two songs penned by Way (Out in the Streets and Too Much of Nothing) are outstanding deep tracks that really round out the album and keep it from getting too samey.

I think this where Mogg really started to come into his own. I don't know if it was his or Lyon's idea to have so much more vocal harmonies but they really add to the performances. Tim, have you ever heard who it was who was singing those harmonies? It doesn't sound like Mogg double tracked. I suspect it may have been Way but I don't know why I think that.

Let It Roll, Shoot Shoot, are great opening tracks that make a "we're rockin' now" statement. High Flyer really shows Schenker's love and skill with acoustic guitar...of course with a fantastic restrained solo. Love the intro lead to Love Lost Love and the really heavy tone of the rhythm riffs. Yes your pretty, but who needs a pretty face/With a hot lip reputation -- nice Phil. Out in the Street is my favorite from side one. Love the keyboards and Schenker's solo, how it starts out nice and mellow and then builds to a real intense climax. He's just so great at that.

Mother Mary, just so heavy. I love how in the second verse they lean into the chugging riff and Way adds extra notes to give it a galloping feel that intensifies Schenker and Parker. Of course Schenker's lead work is interesting, short with little sprinkles during the chorus of the second half. Too Much of Nothing (again written by Way) is my second favorite from side two. Parker's fills and Ways and rambling baseline along with Schenker's wailing lead notes...fuck, I just love it. Like Tim mentioned above, I never really liked Dance Your Life Away very much, but that's probably because I can't dance. Over the years, I've warmed up to it...of course, it doesn't hurt that the lead is ripping! (I can't wait to hear what Kade thinks of it). This Kid's is the highlight of side two for me (maybe even the whole album). The opening riff is awesome, but Schenker playing single note riff in harmony with Mogg in the verses is the best! Bands don't do enough of that in my opinion. UFO would revisit the technique a few times over the coming years and I think it's magic. Then it slides into that tasty blues showcase to close it out. Between the Walls may be my favorite album closer ever. It's like a scoop of chocolate ice cream after an intense and satisfying meal.

Really enjoyed your post this morning, Gregg. I bolded some points that I'm totally on board with.

You can really heard Pete Way. It's almost as if because Leo Lyons was a bass player, he wanted to make sure you could hear it through.
That breakdown in Too Much Of Nothing is great. I love what Schenker does there. So subtle. I feel he built upon that approach on Belladonna, but that's getting ahead..

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2020, 06:47:37 PM »
I’d gotten into UFO about ten years ago thanks to TAC (along with Thin Lizzy,

Good times, Gord.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »

Just a head’s up, TAC is already posting youtube links for the live shows from each tour, but, if you have Spotify or something similar, I strongly recommend to hear “The Official Bootleg Box Set (1975-1982)”, where you can hear good quality recordings from almost every tour in that period. The first one is from Force It tour (in this case, I think it's the same from The Record Plant's youtube link).

That's an amazing box set. I am planning on giving it its due in the thread.

Offline robbob

« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »
Definitely following this. Love UFO, one of my favorite bands. First concert I went to as a 10 yr old kid. Schenker is my favorite guitarist, absolutely love his playing, his melodic leads, his tone, everything. He seems to find that sweet spot with his Cry Baby and just leaves it there on some of his leads. Love the Chapman era too.

Phenomenon and Force It both great albums, especially Force It, so many good songs, Let it Roll and Out in the Street two of my favorites. Only heard a few tracks from UFO1 and 2, will have to give them a full listen.
Thanks for doing this TAC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »

Thanks for doing this TAC.

You're welcome! :)

First concert I went to as a 10 yr old kid.

Where and when?

Offline robbob

« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2020, 07:42:09 PM »

First concert I went to as a 10 yr old kid.

Where and when?
[/quote]

At the Amphitheater in Chicago in '78, mostly all I saw was the back of peoples heads,lol.  But, the live sound of the band and Schenker really had an influence on me. And when i was able to see the stage, Pete Way moving all over the place and Schenker jamming on his V was what stood out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »

At the Amphitheater in Chicago in '78, mostly all I saw was the back of peoples heads,lol.  But, the live sound of the band and Schenker really had an influence on me. And when i was able to see the stage, Pete Way moving all over the place and Schenker jamming on his V was what stood out.

That's awesome. I turned 10 in 1978 too.  By the time that tour got to Boston (where I am located near) Schenker had already left and Paul Chapman was in the band. I have a pretty good boot of that show.

Offline robbob

« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2020, 07:59:46 PM »

That's awesome. I turned 10 in 1978 too.  By the time that tour got to Boston (where I am located near) Schenker had already left and Paul Chapman was in the band. I have a pretty good boot of that show.
[/quote]

Cool, don't post much but I have noticed that we have very similar tastes, UFO and Thin Lizzy to name a couple. SiTN and Live and Dangerous are still 2 of the best live albums ever, even if they get too much recognition, they never get old.  Looking forward to your write ups on all of their albums and especially SiTN.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2020, 08:05:15 PM »
Hopefully you'll improve your post count with this thread. ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
I like Live And Dangerous well enough. The studio sound of Southbound is tough to ignore. At least Ron Nevison did a better job of that kind of thing on Strangers.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2020, 12:06:18 AM »
Don't hear much Schenker in Andy LaRocques playing Tim, but Dennar played on the first two King Diamond albums if you are thinking about anything from those two.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2020, 12:43:20 AM »
Don't hear much Schenker in Andy LaRocques playing Tim, but Dennar played on the first two King Diamond albums if you are thinking about anything from those two.

I remember reading an interview in one of the big guitar magazines in the late 80's with Andy, and he does mention being influenced by MS. I do agree that I hear it more in Dennar's playing, though.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2020, 12:48:46 AM »
A question for the other guitarists in this thread, does anyone know what MS's amp setup was at this point? I know that he started using a JCM800 in the mid/late 80's, and has since then. However, I've been trying to figure out his rig prior to the first McAuley album. I started playing again after a long layoff, and I've got a Line6 setup with several different amp models, but I'm not sure of a good starting point to approach his early sound.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2020, 01:14:33 AM »

I remember reading an interview in one of the big guitar magazines in the late 80's with Andy, and he does mention being influenced by MS. I do agree that I hear it more in Dennar's playing, though.

Yeah cool, I'm sure most guitarists of that era would have been influenced by him somewhat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2020, 01:15:50 AM »
A question for the other guitarists in this thread, does anyone know what MS's amp setup was at this point? I know that he started using a JCM800 in the mid/late 80's, and has since then. However, I've been trying to figure out his rig prior to the first McAuley album. I started playing again after a long layoff, and I've got a Line6 setup with several different amp models, but I'm not sure of a good starting point to approach his early sound.

Can't help you bro.  Maybe search for some guitar interviews on YouTube or something.  You may stumble across something.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2020, 06:21:51 AM »
Also I must say that those vocal harmonies are awful. They kind of bring the album down a notch for me. I have always found them really distracting.

This is why you fail, Grasshopper. You will never get the UFO emblem scared into your forearms this way.  :sadpanda:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2020, 06:59:53 AM »
I'm enjoying this trip through the albums - I'm a couple ahead now as I've got the bug. Some many great songs that don't even make the best of albums.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2020, 08:09:48 AM »

Lay Down Sally?

Closest I can come is "Breakfast In Bed", but that's not it.  It will come to me, it always does....

Um...that was the whole point of linking that song  ;D
Chapman claim's to have helped write Mother Mary.

And yes, that is John Sloman.

John Sloman would feature quite prominently on a future UFO album too.

That was my ham-fisted way of agreeing with you.  Sorry!  :)   I was kind of shocked at seeing Chapman there to begin with and it threw me off.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2020, 08:30:27 AM »
I love Schenker’s solo on High Flyer. It is really majestic and gives a feel of an eagle soaring.