Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142221 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Covenant
« Reply #1365 on: October 20, 2020, 08:33:53 AM »
You asked for it Tim.

ROCK BOTTOM!

https://youtu.be/1l42QhUaX0g

Had a couple of hours Saturday morning so learned this and decided to record it on the spot.  Ran through a couple times and recorded.  A couple of fluffs but enjoyed this one.  Strings sound a bit shit as it was the only guitar in the house that had six strings.  Strings are about 10 years old so pretty flat but fuck it.  Was just on my phone too so quality is shit, but you get the idea.

Nice.

Now I finally can put a face to ya too after only having your avatars to associate with you! Though I’ve got to say I am a little disappointed you don’t have the King Diamond makeup on 😀😀😀

Kade has a bunch of years old videos. He’s all grown up now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1366 on: October 20, 2020, 08:46:05 AM »
Wolfking triggered something with a comment he made above ("organic") and Podaar's comment really brought it together for me. 

With Chapman and Schenker, there seems to be a give and take when crafting the songs.   It's not "here's a song, put some lyrics too it"; it seems to be crafted together ("dissolved into").  With the Mogg/Way stuff, it feels more like Mogg was given 10, 12 backing tracks and he put down lyrics and a melody on top.   Probably all in my head, but that's how I view it.  I love Covenant; I'm not sure I can pull one song out, but Cowboy Joe is pretty solid, as is Miss The Lights and The World And His Dog.

(Nerd alert!  Nerd alert!   Pretty sure the live tracks on Covenant are from Blind Melon's, Buffalo (well, Cheektowaga), NY, September 11, 1995.  Phil asks if "Blind Melon are in the audience" at one point, and so you know, the songs, at least on my copy, are mislabelled). 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1367 on: October 20, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
Listening now...I just realized I've heard "Miss the Lights" before, and I didn't like it. This time, while immersed in the discography it sounds better.

Edit: Two songs to go, and I can say I really appreciate the band branching out and writing unusual (for UFO) songs, but it's going to take more than one listen to absorb it. I find myself struggling to listen past the raw (dry?) production.

Edit 2: This album (the studio songs) suffer from a lack of Paul Raymond, IMO. Can you imagine the tasty piano bits he would have put into the quieter sections of "The World and His Dog".

I'm really not liking how Dunbar's drums are produced so far in the back and nearly mono. It sounds like they used a couple of mics from across a cavernous room.  >:(
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:50:05 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: October 20, 2020, 02:25:01 PM »
You know I still can't stop playing Try Me.  That is so simple but might have to give that a crack.  Schenker is crying through his guitar on that one.  One of the most amazing, beautiful things I've ever heard from a guitar.

He takes the vocal melody and piano lines and dissolves them into his guitar, then in the last half blends them with the tension inherent to his personal guitar tone to lovingly remove your heart and show it to you...especially the sublime sadness of the last note. God, that solo is one for the ages. The tension he creates through restraint is mesmerizing. It feels like he's always right on the edge of just ripping out a thousand notes but was wise enough to not go there. Even after all these years, it leaves me wanting more, but at the same time I'm grateful that it stayed right there.

I hope that made sense.  :)

Holy shit!  You are a man amazing with words Greg, that's incredible.  :hefdaddy
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: October 20, 2020, 02:26:08 PM »
You asked for it Tim.

ROCK BOTTOM!

https://youtu.be/1l42QhUaX0g

Had a couple of hours Saturday morning so learned this and decided to record it on the spot.  Ran through a couple times and recorded.  A couple of fluffs but enjoyed this one.  Strings sound a bit shit as it was the only guitar in the house that had six strings.  Strings are about 10 years old so pretty flat but fuck it.  Was just on my phone too so quality is shit, but you get the idea.

Nice.

Now I finally can put a face to ya too after only having your avatars to associate with you! Though I’ve got to say I am a little disappointed you don’t have the King Diamond makeup on 😀😀😀

I'll save the makeup for the King Diamond listening party.  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1370 on: October 20, 2020, 04:29:07 PM »
I'll save the makeup for the King Diamond listening party.  ;D

Cool. When did you say you were going to start it? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1371 on: October 20, 2020, 04:48:39 PM »
Wolfking triggered something with a comment he made above ("organic") and Podaar's comment really brought it together for me. 

With Chapman and Schenker, there seems to be a give and take when crafting the songs.   It's not "here's a song, put some lyrics too it"; it seems to be crafted together ("dissolved into").  With the Mogg/Way stuff, it feels more like Mogg was given 10, 12 backing tracks and he put down lyrics and a melody on top.   Probably all in my head, but that's how I view it.  I love Covenant; I'm not sure I can pull one song out, but Cowboy Joe is pretty solid, as is Miss The Lights and The World And His Dog.

I think Schenker had always pretty much wrote by himself, but at least he had Pete Way and Paul Raymond to work out the arrangements and refine the parts.

The two Mogg/Way albums were basically written by their respective guitarist. Remember that Pete Way is in a pretty bad place. He talks about having to shoot up just to have the energy to record his parts on Chocolate Box.

Paul Chapman worked really well with Neil Carter, and of course Pete Way was still involved on WWI and Mechanix. So in those days, you did have more of a band collaboration.

I think what you mention is pretty much how it works in the Vinnie Era, which is Vinnie writes a bunch of stuff, and Phil basically picks what he likes.  We'll get to the Vinnie Era soon enough, but this is a key point to remember.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1372 on: October 20, 2020, 04:54:04 PM »
Listening now...I just realized I've heard "Miss the Lights" before, and I didn't like it. This time, while immersed in the discography it sounds better.

Edit: Two songs to go, and I can say I really appreciate the band branching out and writing unusual (for UFO) songs, but it's going to take more than one listen to absorb it. I find myself struggling to listen past the raw (dry?) production.

Edit 2: This album (the studio songs) suffer from a lack of Paul Raymond, IMO. Can you imagine the tasty piano bits he would have put into the quieter sections of "The World and His Dog".

I'm really not liking how Dunbar's drums are produced so far in the back and nearly mono. It sounds like they used a couple of mics from across a cavernous room.  >:(

Miss The Lights I loved straight off. It was one of those songs that kept me up that first couple of nights with this album. I love Schenker in the bridge where Phil sings "Some times when you're all alone, And the blue turns to gray".

I totally agree with the Paul Raymond point too. He's a real underrated member. I have not been able to find anything definitive about why he's not on this album. It probably has to do with Schenker though.

And yes, the drums are really loud on this album. But it has never hindered my enjoyment.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: October 20, 2020, 06:38:26 PM »
Hmmmm....I'm struggling with this album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1374 on: October 20, 2020, 06:40:22 PM »
Interesting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: October 20, 2020, 06:50:10 PM »
There's just not much grabbing my attention.  Up to the second last song.  Will give it a couple more spins.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1376 on: October 20, 2020, 07:38:54 PM »
The only song I really skip on Covenant is Rise Again. Although it does sound like Paul Stanley is singing in the prechorus!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1377 on: October 20, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »
Kade, you kick ass in this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUTGzqeFrrY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: October 20, 2020, 09:39:58 PM »

Thanks mate.  Yeah, probably my fav vid I've done.  Absolute bitch of a solo though.  Tipton is damn underrated.  Top 5 player for me, maybe higher.  Love the guy so much.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1379 on: October 20, 2020, 10:55:39 PM »
Just listened to the first 4 Covenant songs. I really liked Love is Forever, and Unravelled and Midnight Train were pretty good. I didn’t like Miss the Lights until it hit around the 1:30 mark, then things got much better. Some cool stuff in that song.

So far, so good.  :tup

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1380 on: October 20, 2020, 11:10:55 PM »

Thanks mate.  Yeah, probably my fav vid I've done.  Absolute bitch of a solo though.  Tipton is damn underrated.  Top 5 player for me, maybe higher.  Love the guy so much.

I watched this and the Rock Bottom video. You're a helluva player!!!

Do you write, or record any original music?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: October 20, 2020, 11:13:27 PM »

Outstanding. The comments describe it well.....best cover of the song on YouTube  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: October 20, 2020, 11:47:06 PM »

I watched this and the Rock Bottom video. You're a helluva player!!!

Do you write, or record any original music?

Thanks mate.  Nah, I've never had the time or discipline really to write my own stuff.  I'm hoping one day I can take up playing more seriously again.  Or one day find some like minded people with some talent to keep the dream alive.  Brisbane isn't the most thriving metal community.  I always had confidence issues when I was younger also to really try and sell myself and get out there unfortunately.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: October 20, 2020, 11:47:52 PM »

Outstanding. The comments describe it well.....best cover of the song on YouTube  :metal

Thanks mate.  Means a lot.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1384 on: October 21, 2020, 12:14:47 AM »
As much as I liked Walk on Water I must say that this second listen to Covenant prompted by the listening party has me thoroughly impressed. Good variety in the songwriting, Schenker in fine form, Mogg being his usual excellent self and Dunbar fit in nicely too. Seems like this had the strongest vibes harkening back to what I view as classic UFO and thus just might be my favourite of these latter albums. I only glanced at the song titles now and again, but I noticed that at least Fool's Gold and Cowboy Joe were rocking my socks.

I really enjoyed the second CD as well, even if the drums lacked oomph and there was hardly any bass to be heard. Those were some spirited performances of songs near and dear to me and hearing this more Satriani-esque version of Schenker tear them up was exhilarating. Depsite the less than stellar overall sound his tone was captured very nicely here.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1385 on: October 21, 2020, 01:00:30 AM »
Played through Covenant a couple of times now, and it’s a good album. I’m not loving it. Phil has started to lose that sweet smoothness and he’s in a lower register for much of the time.

It’s also what stops me loving the Vinnie Moore era. Phil still has a great voice, but it’s different.

Or it might just be that I’m getting UFO fatigue 😀. I will revisit all these albums that I didn’t know in the weeks to come.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: October 21, 2020, 01:03:49 AM »
Played through Covenant a couple of times now, and it’s a good album. I’m not loving it. Phil has started to lose that sweet smoothness and he’s in a lower register for much of the time.

It’s also what stops me loving the Vinnie Moore era. Phil still has a great voice, but it’s different.

Or it might just be that I’m getting UFO fatigue 😀. I will revisit all these albums that I didn’t know in the weeks to come.

Yeah, I thought I was missing something not loving this one all that much.  Hoping it clicks on another spin.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: October 21, 2020, 05:14:06 AM »
Started a second listen on the way home.  Things seemed better right away.  Unravelled.  Now that's a great song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1388 on: October 21, 2020, 06:11:28 AM »
Just listened to the first 4 Covenant songs. I really liked Love is Forever, and Unravelled and Midnight Train were pretty good. I didn’t like Miss the Lights until it hit around the 1:30 mark, then things got much better. Some cool stuff in that song.

So far, so good.  :tup

Yeah, that's the part I mentioned. Really cool.

Started a second listen on the way home.  Things seemed better right away.  Unravelled.  Now that's a great song.

Awesome. I'm not rushing into Sharks, so you can let this one simmer for a few days.

As much as I liked Walk on Water I must say that this second listen to Covenant prompted by the listening party has me thoroughly impressed. Good variety in the songwriting, Schenker in fine form, Mogg being his usual excellent self and Dunbar fit in nicely too. Seems like this had the strongest vibes harkening back to what I view as classic UFO and thus just might be my favourite of these latter albums. I only glanced at the song titles now and again, but I noticed that at least Fool's Gold and Cowboy Joe were rocking my socks.

That's an interesting thought. I like it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: October 21, 2020, 06:16:52 AM »
Phil has started to lose that sweet smoothness and he’s in a lower register for much of the time.

I would also gripe that the vocal recording sometimes feels "on the cheep" in the Vinnie Era. I've been listening to The Visitor, which is by fay my favorite Vinnie Era album, but it sounds like Phil is singing in a toilet. But he's singing better and way more interesting than how the actual recording portrays him.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: October 21, 2020, 06:21:55 AM »

Miss The Lights I loved straight off. It was one of those songs that kept me up that first couple of nights with this album. I love Schenker in the bridge where Phil sings "Some times when you're all alone, And the blue turns to gray".

I totally agree with the Paul Raymond point too. He's a real underrated member. I have not been able to find anything definitive about why he's not on this album. It probably has to do with Schenker though.

And yes, the drums are really loud on this album. But it has never hindered my enjoyment.

Comprehension, you're doing it wrong.

I said the drums are too far away (echo) and basically in mono (center channel with no real stereo effects). The overall effect makes them mushy and muddies up the rest of the performances. I don't think they are too loud at all, just "blech" sounding.

I'll have another listen today. So far, I must say, I'm not impressed enough to buy it. We'll see...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1391 on: October 21, 2020, 06:24:57 AM »
No, I understand.

To me, they're loud, not mixed loud, but they sound loud, if you follow me. I think we're talking about the same thing. There's something a bit not right with them.

So yeah, what you said. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: October 21, 2020, 07:33:24 AM »

Dude, that's bomb.  Really liked that.  Loved how smooth the slides were at 0:45 or so (the rhythm).

I don't know if you meant it or not, but I loved at 2:19 or so when you leaned back like "Fuck yeah, NAILED IT, BITCHES!"  That's so metal!    :metal :tup  (Being serious, not making fun at all).

Tipton; I remember reading an interview back in the 80's, around the time of Screamin', and he said something like "Ken and I don't really play at the very edge of our ability; it's more about the song and what fits for the group".  At the time I thought it was very Spinal Tap, and I thought for a long time "slacker!".   But in hindsight, I get it; I would love to hear a non-metal solo album from him (I've heard Baptizm and wasn't impressed; for the most part it sounded like demos for the next Priest album, to me).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: October 21, 2020, 07:37:44 AM »

I'm with you on Phil's voice; I think this was what I was getting at with the "growly".  It's subtle, but there was a reedy, sort of thin aspect to his voice; think of the "Misty green and blue" part of "Love To Love", then listen to the "Stop to pray" part of "Miss The Lights".    I know, I know, he's older, and it's not BAD, it's just DIFFERENT.  But it's there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1394 on: October 21, 2020, 08:07:05 AM »
I actually think Phil is and sounds awesome on this album. What I like about Covenant, is that it feels that neither Schenker or Mogg are holding back. Just compare Schenker's playing to his previous two MSG albums. He just sounds way more into it here.

I know that Walk On Water has the smooth Nevison production. Covenant feels a bit more lively and boisterous.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: October 21, 2020, 09:44:56 AM »
The little lick in "In The Middle Of Madess" after the second chorus (about 1:21 through 1:34, leading into the solo), then harmony part of the solo (2:04 through 2:18).   Vintage Michael. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1396 on: October 21, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
The little lick in "In The Middle Of Madess" after the second chorus (about 1:21 through 1:34, leading into the solo), then harmony part of the solo (2:04 through 2:18).   Vintage Michael.

Yes, great call. I like Michael a lot on this album.

2:28-2:40 in The Smell Of Money for example. Speaking of The Smell Of Money, musically, it's an amazing track, but I'm not sure I've ever really been fond of the title.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:39:07 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: October 21, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »

Dude, that's bomb.  Really liked that.  Loved how smooth the slides were at 0:45 or so (the rhythm).

I don't know if you meant it or not, but I loved at 2:19 or so when you leaned back like "Fuck yeah, NAILED IT, BITCHES!"  That's so metal!    :metal :tup  (Being serious, not making fun at all).

Tipton; I remember reading an interview back in the 80's, around the time of Screamin', and he said something like "Ken and I don't really play at the very edge of our ability; it's more about the song and what fits for the group".  At the time I thought it was very Spinal Tap, and I thought for a long time "slacker!".   But in hindsight, I get it; I would love to hear a non-metal solo album from him (I've heard Baptizm and wasn't impressed; for the most part it sounded like demos for the next Priest album, to me).

Thanks Bill.  Yeah that point was a definite 'fuck yeah, got it' moment haha.  Nice pickup.  Pretty sure it took a few goes so to get it was a relief.

I would have loved more from Tipton too.  I like what he did with Baptism, but I'm biased.  I think.I like it better than Edge of the World.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: October 21, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »
I actually think Phil is and sounds awesome on this album. What I like about Covenant, is that it feels that neither Schenker or Mogg are holding back. Just compare Schenker's playing to his previous two MSG albums. He just sounds way more into it here.

I know that Walk On Water has the smooth Nevison production. Covenant feels a bit more lively and boisterous.

One of the first things I noticed too was Phil on this album.  I thought he sounded really really good here too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: October 21, 2020, 05:55:09 PM »
I really dig that proggy like section before Schenker solos in Fools Gold.