Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142873 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Chocolate Box
« Reply #1330 on: October 19, 2020, 02:44:34 PM »
Am I the only one that doesn't mind Phil in On With the Action?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1331 on: October 19, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
Haha.

Just noticed that Michael looks like Gary Oldman on that Unforgiven cover.  I hope TAC has the good sense to publish the pictures of Michael on the Sharks LP.  He looks... well, it's not his finest hour. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1332 on: October 19, 2020, 02:56:41 PM »
I hope TAC has the good sense to publish the pictures of Michael on the Sharks LP.  He looks... well, it's not his finest hour.

I do have something in store, and it is hilarious.

So I listened to Chocolate Box.   I think I have to give it another listen.   I can see why I SHOULD have liked this better than Edge, but... I didn't, and I'm not sure why.  The guitars were grittier, and more...  traditional, but they lacked character, and they didn't seem to fit the vocal.  There was one point ("This Is A Life", I think) when I thought "wow, that almost sounds like Van Halen", and yet the vocal was this growly English slice of life.    And I'm a big Mogg fan, I think the only criticism I've ever given of him was the silly "on with the action!" affectation on... "On With The Action".  But here... nothing seemed to grab me.  There was no moment when I said "oh, I have to google what he's singing here!", which is what normally happens.   Also, his voice seems way more gravelly, growly.  I like it when it's a shade more reedy.

I did like some songs; Jerusalem is excellent, as is Living And Dying.   I liked Sparkling Wine (even if it was a little too much "Little Wing" in the guitar). 

I think I owe it another listen.   At first plus, this seemed to me an album looking for a direction.   (And bear in mind I've been listening to Covenant and Sharks lately, so there's that to compare it to).  But it may just be that I didn't catch it the first time.

The album is a grower. But if you're listening to Covenant, you're blocking the sun.

Every time I try to catchup, work gets a little nutty, and I don't get the time to have solid / dedicated listens.  So, I'm over a decade (in discography years), 3 weeks, and 11 pages behind.  But, still chuggin away.  So, to bring it back a few albums, I think Making Contact is where I last left off in posting my thoughts.

Edited post..

Chad...stuck in the 80's! It usually what people, mostly my family, accuse ME of! :lol

Appreciate the comments. Keep 'em coming.
I never made a Power Windows connection back in the day. It was only recently, listening to Blue I think, where it hit me.

I didn't know about those Vinnie Moore albums with Shane Gaalass, I'll check them!
So, Shane (I think also Barry) recorded with Schenker, Malmsteen, Moore and Kollman from mid 90's to 2000's... great portfolio!

I knew the name Gaalaas was familiar to me in some way, he played on one of my fav Malmsteen records, Magnum Opus.

Here is a cool career spanning interview with Shane. His story about first meeting Yngwie is funny.

https://www.everyonelovesguitar.com/2020/02/19/shane-gaalaas-interview-2/

I didn’t like Unforgiven at all. Not that the songs were bad, they weren’t, but I couldn’t stand the vocals. Too Glenn Hughes-y for me.

It took me many years before I finally accepted the vocals as good on The Unforgiven. But that album is still getting better with every listen.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1333 on: October 19, 2020, 03:46:38 PM »
In regard to the Vinnie Moore album, there is an Easter egg in there - anyone spotted it? 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: October 19, 2020, 04:13:21 PM »
In regard to the Vinnie Moore album, there is an Easter egg in there - anyone spotted it? 😀

I probably need to listen to it first haha.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1335 on: October 19, 2020, 04:25:20 PM »
Me too! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1336 on: October 19, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »
Paul, I found one of those sections that we would hear again.

First song I checked! :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: October 19, 2020, 06:13:30 PM »
Choc Box was a bit hit and miss for me.  First 2 songs were easily the best but was inconsistent after that.  Kollman is a great player but something was missing for me.  I much prefer Edge of the World personally.  Granted, I do think it would be a grower.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1338 on: October 19, 2020, 06:16:12 PM »
Choc Box was a bit hit and miss for me.  First 2 songs were easily the best but was inconsistent after that.  Kollman is a great player but something was missing for me.  I much prefer Edge of the World personally.  Granted, I do think it would be a grower.

I knew you'd like Edge more.

Chocolate Box is really different. It took me a while before I really warmed to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: October 19, 2020, 06:48:32 PM »

I knew you'd like Edge more.

Chocolate Box is really different. It took me a while before I really warmed to it.

It's not just Bellas, the whole more organic UFO sound of that album I much prefer. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1340 on: October 19, 2020, 06:53:28 PM »
Yeah, I get it totally.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Covenant
« Reply #1341 on: October 19, 2020, 08:51:35 PM »
Covenant

Covenant 2000

Released July 25, 2000

1. Love Is Forever
2. Unraveled
3. Miss The Lights
4. Midnight Train
5. Fool's Gold
6. In The Middle Of Madness
7. The Smell Of Money
8. Rise Again
9. Serenade
10. Cowboy Joe
11. The World And His Dog

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Michael Schenker-Guitar
Pete Way-Bass
Aynsley Dunbar-Drums

Kevin Carlson-Keyboards

Michael Schenker is back. Again. Aynsley Dunbar on drums.....

We had a computer, but for me, I was totally surprised when Covenant was released. I was not aware that Michael Schenker had rejoined UFO. I got this when it came out, but I'm not sure how I heard of it.
I remember the day I got it, I listened to it, and I literally could not sleep that night. I kept hearing the riffs and melodies in my head, and I tossed and turned.
It's hard for me to compare this and Walk On Water. WOW hit me at such a pivotal point in my life. Covenant finds me remarried, with a 10 y/o stepson. Totally different times. But with all that I had experienced in the previous five years, Covenant really reminded me of how much I loved UFO and Michael Schenker.  I felt a personal connection to it. Seems like it "found" me in the next phase of my life.

There was a brief European tour, that again blew up in the band's faces.  Michael was drinking quite a bit during this time, and got in a dust up with the Quireboys' Spike in Manchester and that was that. The band left US dates for 2001 on the table.

I have a really good bootleg from this tour (Offenbach, Ger) as the Covenant tracks making the setlist were Love Is Forever, Unravelled, Miss The Lights, and Midnight Train.

Unfortunately all I could find on youtube was this version of Love Is Forever..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFtHkApoEuc

The live band is rounded out by drummer Jeff Martin and keyboardist/guitarist Luis Maldonado.

Covenant comes as a two disc set. The second disc contains 7 tracks that were recorded in the US in 1998.  These tracks include Paul Raymond and Simon Wright.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:03:48 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread
« Reply #1342 on: October 19, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »
Reply #1
Nice presentation.

Reply #6
I've heard about this band over the years, but haven't heard a single song from them aside from Maiden's cover of Doctor Doctor. I'll be following this thread and checking out some tracks here and there :)

Reply #9
I'm just going to add what is a really obvious comment for this thread:  Phil Mogg is one of the most underrated hard rock vocalists of all time.

Also, for my money, Paul Raymond took UFO from being good to great.  when I was in a band, I always wanted someone who could go back and forth between rhythm guitar and keys.

Where you guys been??

Talk about checking in for attendance and then disappearing! ;D

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #1343 on: October 19, 2020, 11:01:37 PM »
Covenant might be my favorite UFO album. I don't feel like there are any clunkers on this disc, and the performances are excellent.

The only song that I'm torn about in any way is probably my favorite song on the disc, The World and His Dog. I love most parts of the song, but I've never been sure if the breakdown section fits.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: October 20, 2020, 01:24:03 AM »
Looking forward to cracking into this one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: October 20, 2020, 01:35:49 AM »
That was a nice personal writeup on the album too Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1346 on: October 20, 2020, 05:35:36 AM »
That was a nice personal writeup on the album too Tim.

Thank you. I'll include another story in the huge Schenker dump later this week.

Covenant might be my favorite UFO album. I don't feel like there are any clunkers on this disc, and the performances are excellent.

The only song that I'm torn about in any way is probably my favorite song on the disc, The World and His Dog. I love most parts of the song, but I've never been sure if the breakdown section fits.

That's great!

Yes, The World And His Dog is really interesting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: October 20, 2020, 05:48:22 AM »
Listened to the first few songs on the way home.  Not sure what to think yet.  Seems like a grower like WOW.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: October 20, 2020, 06:15:24 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing Covenant. I've actually been looking forward to it since you started this thread. Without ever hearing it, this one intrigues me the most.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1349 on: October 20, 2020, 06:18:03 AM »
Well, I hope you won't be let down.

If I downplay an album, like Ain't Misbehavin', it gets good reaction here. If I pump up an album, like Chocolate Box, it gets mixed reviews. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: October 20, 2020, 06:20:36 AM »
You asked for it Tim.

ROCK BOTTOM!

https://youtu.be/1l42QhUaX0g

Had a couple of hours Saturday morning so learned this and decided to record it on the spot.  Ran through a couple times and recorded.  A couple of fluffs but enjoyed this one.  Strings sound a bit shit as it was the only guitar in the house that had six strings.  Strings are about 10 years old so pretty flat but fuck it.  Was just on my phone too so quality is shit, but you get the idea.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: October 20, 2020, 06:29:09 AM »
You asked for it Tim.

ROCK BOTTOM!

Had a couple of hours Saturday morning so learned this and decided to record it on the spot.  Ran through a couple times and recorded.  A couple of fluffs but enjoyed this one.  Strings sound a bit shit as it was the only guitar in the house that had six strings.  Strings are about 10 years old so pretty flat but fuck it.  Was just on my phone too so quality is shit, but you get the idea.

:heart :heart*swoon* :heart :heart
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1352 on: October 20, 2020, 06:30:45 AM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

That is awesome!!

I had just shut my computer down and started my car to go to work. Not sure why I looked at my phone while it was warming up.
But I signed back on. Now I'm gonna be late for work! :lol

But it was totally worth it.

Now we need you and Paul to do a simulated quarantine style version. ;D

Seriously bro. Awesome job on that!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: October 20, 2020, 06:33:17 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  And Greg, I did think about the whole pinky thing too as I was learning it.  :lol  Just feels unnatural not using the pinky at all haha.

I left the riffs for Paul too.  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: October 20, 2020, 06:48:52 AM »
I like how you were able to get Schenker's rolling vibrato technique without clamping the body of the guitar between your knees like that poser Rudolph!  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: October 20, 2020, 06:51:43 AM »
I like how you were able to get Schenker's rolling vibrato technique without clamping the body of the guitar between your knees like that poser Rudolph!  :lol

:lol

I wouldn't dare have Michael see me copying his technique!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: October 20, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »
I!m really loving his playing and style though.  A shame I'm discovering him so late but better late than never.  His solos technically aren't that hard but a lot of his phrasing even in a simple lick form can be really tricky.  A couple of spots weren't note for note, but that's always been a flaw of mine.  He has a unique and amazing style and technique.  His feel for the instrument is so natural and you can hear the emotion in simple things like the way he frets notes and even how he picks notes too.  It's hard to describe but the guy is a fucking class guitar player.  But you guys knew that long before I did.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: October 20, 2020, 06:56:58 AM »
To get back on the Covenant topic, the solo to Midnight Train is brilliant.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1358 on: October 20, 2020, 07:02:20 AM »

Next video? ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: October 20, 2020, 07:04:25 AM »

Next video? ;D

You know I still can't stop playing Try Me.  That is so simple but might have to give that a crack.  Schenker is crying through his guitar on that one.  One of the most amazing, beautiful things I've ever heard from a guitar.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1360 on: October 20, 2020, 07:05:33 AM »
Love is Forever and Unraveled are amazing and Midnight Train, Fool's Gold and The World and His Dog are very, very good. Although I think the rest of the album is good, it also kind of disapoints me as a Schenker’s UFO album (not really disapointing, like Sharks). But what really stood out to me, after re-listening to Covenant and truly listening to MoogWay for the first time, is that I clearly like more Chocolate Box.

I should comment it was really a shame that Jeff Kollman didn’t returned to UFO after Covenant. I think we would have a stronger discography than the Moore phase, which surprised me, because I think the style of his instrumental albums, at least the ones Moore was releasing before joining UFO, fitted UFO nicely.

Ranking (re-revised):

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT – 9.5
MAKING CONTACT/WALK ON WATER – 9.0
NO PLACE TO RUN/HIGH STAKES & DANGEROUS MEN/MOGG-WAY – CHOCOLATE BOX – 8.5
PHENOMENON/MOGG-WAY – EDGE OF THE WORLD/COVENANT  – 8.0
MISDEMEANOR/? – 7.5
AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’/?– 7.0
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 08:53:02 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: October 20, 2020, 07:31:48 AM »
You know I still can't stop playing Try Me.  That is so simple but might have to give that a crack.  Schenker is crying through his guitar on that one.  One of the most amazing, beautiful things I've ever heard from a guitar.

He takes the vocal melody and piano lines and dissolves them into his guitar, then in the last half blends them with the tension inherent to his personal guitar tone to lovingly remove your heart and show it to you...especially the sublime sadness of the last note. God, that solo is one for the ages. The tension he creates through restraint is mesmerizing. It feels like he's always right on the edge of just ripping out a thousand notes but was wise enough to not go there. Even after all these years, it leaves me wanting more, but at the same time I'm grateful that it stayed right there.

I hope that made sense.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1362 on: October 20, 2020, 07:53:10 AM »
That’s a great description!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1363 on: October 20, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »
You asked for it Tim.

ROCK BOTTOM!

Nice.

Now I finally can put a face to ya too after only having your avatars to associate with you! Though I’ve got to say I am a little disappointed you don’t have the King Diamond makeup on 😀😀😀

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1364 on: October 20, 2020, 08:00:05 AM »
Paul, I found one of those sections that we would hear again.

First song I checked! :D

I did my homework a while back and found three.