Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 140830 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Edge Of The World
« Reply #1225 on: October 13, 2020, 10:26:37 PM »
I love Michael Schenker! :lol

Tempted to click on this in even with an office of people plus reception staff outside the door.  :lol

probalby should wait til tonight.

Hopefully you are on DTF during a very important meeting

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Edge Of The World
« Reply #1226 on: October 13, 2020, 10:27:14 PM »

Tempted to click on this in even with an office of people plus reception staff outside the door.  :lol

I have done that before.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: October 13, 2020, 10:29:59 PM »
I’m assuming you were eating shrimp as well

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: October 13, 2020, 11:06:25 PM »
I’m assuming you were eating shrimp as well

Indeed.  Once I was trying to see how many I could fit in my mouth.  However, the meeting went overtime and the jerk store closed before I could get there.  They were out of stock of me anyway so it didn't matter.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: October 14, 2020, 03:26:29 AM »
 :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: October 14, 2020, 03:58:59 AM »
I'd be interested if anyone gave Written In The Sand a listen..

I'd be interested if you'd post a link and writeup to Written In The Sand
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1231 on: October 14, 2020, 04:38:42 AM »

I have done that before.

I'm doing it now  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: October 14, 2020, 05:06:57 AM »

I have done that before.

I'm doing it now  :metal

:rollin :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Walk On Water
« Reply #1233 on: October 14, 2020, 05:08:26 AM »
I'd be interested if anyone gave Written In The Sand a listen..

I'd be interested if you'd post a link and writeup to Written In The Sand

Written In The Sand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bilt-VR3AM0

Released August 26, 1996

1. Brave New World
2. Cry No More
3. I Believe
4. Back To Life
5. Written In The Sand
6. Essenz
7. Love Never Dies
8. I Will Be There
9.  Take Me Through The Night
10. Down The Drain
11. Sweet Cold Kiss Of Night

Michael Schenker-Guitar
Leif Sundin-Vocals
Barry Sparks-Bass
Shane Gaalaas-Drums

After the abrupt conclusion of UFO's US '95 tour, Michael reemerges with a revamped MSG. The rhythm section of Barry Sparks and Shane Gaalaas would feature prominently over the next few years in the UFO/Schenker orbit.

There's a few videos from the Chicago '96 show. David Van Landing joins the band for the tour.
Here is Lost Horizons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYKiHlpHIAw

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: October 14, 2020, 05:29:31 AM »
Three songs in, I must say I really like the drumming, both the performance and production. So far, Michael's song writing is pretty predictable...ticking all the MSG boxes. The vocalist sounds quite a bit like Eric Martin, just without the power. Dude can sing, and hit's notes effortlessly. He's maybe a bit TOO soulful for this kind of music though.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1235 on: October 14, 2020, 05:30:59 AM »
That's one thing I never really followed, him and his brother.  I know they hate each other though.  Will have to dig to find more of the backstory.

I read some of this - he just believes that Rudolph stole everything from him.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1236 on: October 14, 2020, 05:34:07 AM »
I played WITS a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The singer is excellent, the mad axeman is on form. Yes, I like.

Is Leif Sundin one of those characterless singers you were talking about Tim? He's great as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather listen to him that McAuley I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: October 14, 2020, 05:34:40 AM »
That's one thing I never really followed, him and his brother.  I know they hate each other though.  Will have to dig to find more of the backstory.

I read some of this - he just believes that Rudolph stole everything from him.

Oh, he's paranoid too.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: October 14, 2020, 05:41:09 AM »

Lol, Kirk doesn't even know what vibrato is because he has his wah.

Also, bringing Rudolf up over nothing was funny as.  Bitter much?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1239 on: October 14, 2020, 05:48:44 AM »
I played WITS a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The singer is excellent, the mad axeman is on form. Yes, I like.

Is Leif Sundin one of those characterless singers you were talking about Tim? He's great as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather listen to him that McAuley I think.

He is. :lol

He uses Kelly Keeling on The Unforgiven and Chris Logan on BAOS and Arachnophobiac.

I think the vocals are all excellent on these albums. My ears kind of glaze over a bit with them.

Yes, he does sound like Eric Martin for sure.

I really like Essenz, the instrumental.

I definitely like this album quite a bit. It's aged really well. It just didn't hit me over the heard for a long time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1240 on: October 14, 2020, 07:10:20 AM »

He is. :lol

He uses Kelly Keeling on The Unforgiven and Chris Logan on BAOS and Arachnophobiac.

I think the vocals are all excellent on these albums. My ears kind of glaze over a bit with them.

Yes, he does sound like Eric Martin for sure.

I really like Essenz, the instrumental.

I definitely like this album quite a bit. It's aged really well. It just didn't hit me over the heard for a long time.

I'm getting ahead a bit here but just listening to The Unforgiven - I'm not connecting with the vocals on this - it's a bit too Glenn Hughes for me. The soulful feel just doesn't fit the songs for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1241 on: October 14, 2020, 07:32:59 AM »

I'm trying to find that Hammett/Schenker episode of Eddie Trunk; they do a little guitar thing back and forth, and it's pretty good (in my humble opinion, Kirk doesn't hold up his end - too sloppy, and each segment seemed a rehash of the one before -  but you get to see Michael play, and that's always a treat). 

FOUND IT!:  it's got some dicknose interrupting with his irrelevant commentary during the main set, but it's also got the backstage stuff, including rehearsal, which might be cooler, since it's fresh.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v868r

Two thoughts:  One, in the rehearsal jam, Kirk shows him the riff, they start to play, and LITERALLY (I counted) in SIX SECONDS of learning the riff, Michael rips off this killer lead that just sets the tone.  Guy's amazing.  Every segment he solo'ed sounding almost completely different than the one that came before.  ALL THOSE IDEAS!  :)

Two, Eddie Trunk is such a tool.   He is genetically incapable of not making himself the center of the action ("I orchestrated this").  Douche. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:56:15 AM by Stadler »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1242 on: October 14, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
About MSG – Written in the Sand…

Ideed, it is a really good album! I has a more melodic and groovier approach to the MSG classic sound. As a habit for UFO and MSG, it has a great opener on Brave New World, 3 very nice songs in a classic MSG style (Back to Life, Essenz and Love Never Dies) and a very cool title song. I think, maybe because of a overall more mid-tempo oriented songs, from “I Will Be There” on, the album feels a bit samey. And it would be better a vocalist with more presence and character, no doubt.
Now, I’m really curious to give a proper listening to The Unforgiven!

Just a thought, related to the amazing drumming of Shane Gaalass (not forgetting the also great work of Barry Sparks), but I totally LOVE the great 90’s drummers. It seems to me, although at the time they really step up the technical level of playing, they also cared a lot about keep the playing very grooving and with a great organic and, at same time, clear drum (and cymbals!) sound. Among others, drummers that had represented that: Mike Portnoy, Will Calhoun (Living Colour), Tim Alexander (Primus), Uli Kush (Helloween), Van Romaine (Steve Morse Band) and Paul Craddick (Enchant).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: October 14, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »

I'm trying to find that Hammett/Schenker episode of Eddie Trunk; they do a little guitar thing back and forth, and it's pretty good (in my humble opinion, Kirk doesn't hold up his end - too sloppy, and each segment seemed a rehash of the one before -  but you get to see Michael play, and that's always a treat). 

FOUND IT!:  it's got some dicknose interrupting with his irrelevant commentary during the main set, but it's also got the backstage stuff, including rehearsal, which might be cooler, since it's fresh.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v868r

Two thoughts:  One, in the rehearsal jam, Kirk shows him the riff, they start to play, and LITERALLY (I counted) in SIX SECONDS of learning the riff, Michael rips off this killer lead that just sets the tone.  Guy's amazing.  Every segment he solo'ed sounding almost completely different than the one that came before.  ALL THOSE IDEAS!  :)

Two, Eddie Trunk is such a tool.   He is genetically incapable of not making himself the center of the action ("I orchestrated this").  Douche.

I'll watch this later, but your rundown doesn't surprise me.  Kirk is terrible and I would expect Schenker to school him.  And yes, Trunk is a dick.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1244 on: October 14, 2020, 04:41:02 PM »
I've watched this a number of times since it happened and I really enjoy it. Say what you want about Kirk's playing, but he emits such joy in contagious.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1245 on: October 14, 2020, 06:19:26 PM »
Just a thought, related to the amazing drumming of Shane Gaalass (not forgetting the also great work of Barry Sparks), but I totally LOVE the great 90’s drummers. It seems to me, although at the time they really step up the technical level of playing, they also cared a lot about keep the playing very grooving and with a great organic and, at same time, clear drum (and cymbals!) sound. Among others, drummers that had represented that: Mike Portnoy, Will Calhoun (Living Colour), Tim Alexander (Primus), Uli Kush (Helloween), Van Romaine (Steve Morse Band) and Paul Craddick (Enchant).

I have to admit, that the 90's are not my goto decade for music. Other than Dream Theater, I was pretty much out of it. I discovered Iced Earth and Hammerfall in the late 90's but that's about it. Even though I am an old school Helloween fan, I never cared for the Deris Era (this has changed).

One guy that Shane Gaalaas reminds me of is David Ingraham, who played with Bruce Dickinson in the 90's. I saw him live with Bruce and he was ridiculous.

I always thought the first drummer for Pearl Jam was excellent. I did buy Pork Soda back in the day, but I never really followed Primus. Just not my thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: October 14, 2020, 06:38:33 PM »
Listened to a couple of songs from WITS on the way to work.  I get a strong Steelhouse Lane vibe from this.  Nice almost melodic rock.  I feel Essence should have been placed later in the album though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1247 on: October 14, 2020, 06:40:21 PM »
I'll have to check Steelhouse Lane.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1248 on: October 14, 2020, 07:07:57 PM »
I'll have to check Steelhouse Lane.

:omg: :omg:

Kade, it's a small world, brother!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: October 14, 2020, 07:18:09 PM »
Huh?  Me confused.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1250 on: October 14, 2020, 07:21:19 PM »
Huh?  Me confused.

You won't be on Friday! :lol

Oh, and if anyone is interested, in 1997, Michael released a live album DVD called The Michael Schenker Story Live. It's a 1997 show from Japan. Two and a half hour career retrospective.
Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymp6XnTu0eA

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: October 14, 2020, 07:26:18 PM »
There's obviously some MSG/Steelhouse Lane connection coming.  Can't work it out though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1252 on: October 14, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »
You have good ears, man.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: October 14, 2020, 07:47:54 PM »
You have good ears, man.

Thanks mate.  Still trying to work this out.  Getting some bites with Keith Slack but doesn't explain this album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1254 on: October 14, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
It's not related to this album.  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1255 on: October 14, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
Stadler is going to post his Edge Of The World report in the morning, and then it's onto Chocolate Box when I get home from work.

Everyone, get listening!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1256 on: October 14, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »

One guy that Shane Gaalaas reminds me of is David Ingraham, who played with Bruce Dickinson in the 90's. I saw him live with Bruce and he was ridiculous.

I always thought the first drummer for Pearl Jam was excellent. I did buy Pork Soda back in the day, but I never really followed Primus. Just not my thing.

David Ingraham did an excellent job both in Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding (I saw him live on The Chemical Wedding tour, indeed amazing). I didn't hear the first Pearl Jam album, but, Dave Abbruzzese from Vs. is (was, at least) excellent.
And I think those two also has that kind of 90's drummer's style that I talked about. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: October 14, 2020, 07:54:45 PM »
It's not related to this album.  ;D

Thought so.  That doesn't explain my good ears then haha.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: October 14, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »
Stadler is going to post his Edge Of The World report in the morning, and then it's onto Chocolate Box when I get home from work.

Everyone, get listening!!!

I'll run through Edge of the World again after Sand.  Hopefully both by tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1259 on: October 14, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »

David Ingraham did an excellent job both in Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding (I saw him live on The Chemical Wedding tour, indeed amazing). I didn't hear the first Pearl Jam album, but, Dave Abbruzzese from Vs. is (was, at least) excellent.
And I think those two also has that kind of 90's drummer's style that I talked about. :tup

I actually think Ingraham's best Bruce performance was on Balls To Picasso. Balls To Picasso really changed my mind on Bruce. It's a phenomenal album.

I saw the Accident Of Birth tour. (and Tattooed Millionaire..)

And yeah, that's the PJ drummer's name. He was excellent.