Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 140840 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Edge Of The World
« Reply #1190 on: October 13, 2020, 01:55:04 AM »
Not sure why, but I never bothered with Mogg/Way. Seems weird because these were the dark years where I was struggling to find music to feed my cd buying addiction. Listening this morning, it’s very good. Similar in style to Hifh Stakes but with a much better guitarist. What is it with UFO and related bands that the opener is always excellent?

Offline Bentower

Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Edge Of The World
« Reply #1191 on: October 13, 2020, 05:12:53 AM »
Curious album. While Bellas' guitar is mixed surprisingly low for a Shrapnel release, the playing is as unrestrained as one would imagine. I like some of his proggy instrumental albums just fine, but the shredding is distracting here to the point where I was struggling to get a handle on the songs themselves. The potential seemed to be there though. I'll go ahead and guess that Jeff Kollman is a better fit on the second Mogg/Way album.

I could've done without this take on Mother Mary. It might be due to being played to a click as opposed to the original (:heart) and the live versions, but especially that one riff with multiple rests sounded stiff to me.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1192 on: October 13, 2020, 05:24:22 AM »
Dunbar is amazing on Covenant!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1193 on: October 13, 2020, 06:21:03 AM »
It's just occurred to me that whta I listened to this morning was Chocolate Box  :facepalm:
Anyway, that just means I can listen to this this afternoon and I'm ahead of the game again!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1194 on: October 13, 2020, 07:18:05 AM »
I always thought that the Mogg/Way as more a kind of project than UFO albums. I mean, I thought that, once Michael rejoined in 95', there's an agreement between them that, besides UFO, in the intervals, they could do MSG and other projects. But, it seems that Michael was in and out of UFO from Walk on Water to Sharks, right?
By the way, Mogg/Way had ever toured?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:29:09 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1195 on: October 13, 2020, 07:20:04 AM »
@ devieira..

Found this really cool interview with Shane Gaalaas.
https://www.everyonelovesguitar.com/2020/02/19/shane-gaalaas-interview-2/

Talks about Michael Schenker around the 44:00 mark.

Interesting interview! Shane also played acoustic guitar at the tour with MSG? Really nice!
About the interviewer (a big Michael Schenker fan, right?) almost not remembering the name of Rock Bottom  :lol
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:26:33 AM by devieira73 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1196 on: October 13, 2020, 07:30:54 AM »
I always thought that the Mogg/Way as more a kind of project than UFO albums. I mean, I thought that, once Michael rejoined in 95', there's an agreement between them that, besides UFO, in the intervals, they could do MSG and other projects. But, it seems that Michael was in and out of UFO from Walk on Water to Sharks, right?
By the way, Mogg/Way has ever toured?

I'm not aware of any tours, in fact I'm just about positive there weren't any shows. Shortly after Edge Of The World, Schenker rejoins in '98 for an abbreviated and aborted tour of Japan where Michael cracked up straight off.

Phil and Pete make another album, Chocolate Box, while Michael Schenker made The Unforgiven.

Be it money, or a fatal attraction, Michael comes back for Covenant, with brief touring, and once again for Sharks, however Michael was gone for good by the time Sharks came out.
Personally, I think it shows in the music on Sharks, but more on that later...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1197 on: October 13, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »
I actually bought Sharks and that might be why I didn't bother going back to the last few albums by either party as my recollection of that album was that I didn't ever need to hear it again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1198 on: October 13, 2020, 07:47:49 AM »
I recall at the time reading pretty favorable reviews of Sharks, while Covenant is glossed over. Covenant is amazing!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1199 on: October 13, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »
Just been listening to Edge of the World. Bellas overplays on this but that's not a bad thing for me. I like it. This is going to cost me a fortune.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: October 13, 2020, 08:11:56 AM »
Been away for a while. Yeah, Walk on Water is a favorite. I don't think I could add anything that hasn't already been said by Kade and others.

Listening to Edge of the World now. Excellent.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1201 on: October 13, 2020, 08:16:42 AM »
Been away for a while. Yeah, Walk on Water is a favorite. I don't think I could add anything that hasn't already been said by Kade and others.

Listening to Edge of the World now. Excellent.

:metal :metal

This is going to cost me a fortune.

15%! :metal

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: October 13, 2020, 08:43:44 AM »
Not sure about the choice to rerecord Mother Mary. It's nearly identical (performance wise) to SitN.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1203 on: October 13, 2020, 09:52:25 AM »
I actually find Mother Mary to be the low point of an otherwise pretty energetic album. It feels old, and pales to the High Stakes b side remake of Long Gone.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: October 13, 2020, 10:15:09 AM »
Just been listening to Edge of the World. Bellas overplays on this but that's not a bad thing for me. I like it. This is going to cost me a fortune.

I just looked, there are some copies online for $20 or so

I figured it would be super rare and expensive

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1205 on: October 13, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
I'm still absorving those Mogg/Way albums, but I think they are good albums. I just don’t think they will be at same level of High Stakes for me, which it seems have more inspiration in the songwriting and kind of a more "real band" feeling. On Edge of the World, I really love Fortune Town and Totaled and, the run from Highwire to Spell on You, it has a lot of very good songs and moments, with the exception of Mother Mary, which I miss the original drums patterns of Parker.

OBSESSION (my favorite)/MECHANIX- 10+/10
FORCE IT/NO HEAVY PETTING/LIGHTS OUT/ THE WILD THE WILLING AND THE INNOCENT - 9.5
MAKING CONTACT/WALK ON WATER - 9.0
PHENOMENON/HIGH STAKES & DANGEROUS MEN – 8.5
NO PLACE TO RUN/? – 8.0
MISDEMEANOR/MOGG-WAY albums – 7.5

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: October 13, 2020, 02:03:09 PM »
By the way, Mogg/Way has ever toured?

I'm not aware of any tours, in fact I'm just about positive there weren't any shows. Shortly after Edge Of The World, Schenker rejoins in '98 for an abbreviated and aborted tour of Japan where Michael cracked up straight off.

Phil and Pete make another album, Chocolate Box, while Michael Schenker made The Unforgiven.

Be it money, or a fatal attraction, Michael comes back for Covenant, with brief touring, and once again for Sharks, however Michael was gone for good by the time Sharks came out.
Personally, I think it shows in the music on Sharks, but more on that later...

What caused this coming and going of Shenker through this time?  Seems he and Phil had somewhat of a love/hate relationship?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: October 13, 2020, 02:14:45 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. It doesn’t seem like there was major drama, I was assuming just personal differences or just drifting apart. But probably always comes down to egos

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1208 on: October 13, 2020, 02:27:17 PM »
Like I said, it was money as the Japan tour in '98 was fairly lucrative, except Schenker basically nuked it as soon as they landed.

Michael was still drinking a lot during this time, and well, he and Phil had a hard time coexisting. Pete was a heroin junkie during this time period, so even he was ill equipped to keep the peace. But Micjael was unpredictable, and seemed to have no issue with stepping off stage during a gig.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: October 13, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »
Michael seems like a strange cat.  I like that.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: October 13, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
Sounds like rock n roll to me  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1211 on: October 13, 2020, 03:20:25 PM »
Michael seems like a strange cat.  I like that.

He was fairly paranoid, especially around Mogg. Phil, who seems like quite a jolly chap on stage now, I guess could be a pretty stubborn dude.

You can pull up any of the many interviews with Michael from the last ten years, and he seems really affable, radiating such joy. But actually listening to him talk is a trip. He is out there! :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: October 13, 2020, 03:32:41 PM »
Hmmm...Seems like trying to get a copy of Walk on Water is pricey.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1213 on: October 13, 2020, 03:43:55 PM »

Tell me about it. I have been seeking out physical copies of that and the Mogg/Way albums. None of them are cheap, sadly. Most are just too pricey to justify for a single album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: October 13, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »

Tell me about it. I have been seeking out physical copies of that and the Mogg/Way albums. None of them are cheap, sadly. Most are just too pricey to justify for a single album.

Even second hand copies can push to 50 bucks with shipping.  A shame.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1215 on: October 13, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »
I'd be interested if anyone gave Written In The Sand a listen..

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: October 13, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »

I'll try and get onto it tonight mate and let you know.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: October 13, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »

I did. Like I mentioned it’s sounds pretty good and Leif is a good singer. I know I would have liked it better if Robin was singing. Someone in the YouTube comments said that Leif sounds a bit like Paul Rodgers. I can hear that

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1218 on: October 13, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »

I did. Like I mentioned it’s sounds pretty good and Leif is a good singer. I know I would have liked it better if Robin was singing. Someone in the YouTube comments said that Leif sounds a bit like Paul Rodgers. I can hear that

devieira mentioned, the MSG 4 album run coming up..Written In The Sand-The Unforgiven-Be Aware Of Scorpions-Arachnaphobiac.

They all suffer from very non descript vocals. I mean, they're talented singers, but they just don't stand out or enhance the music.

The Unforgiven, which I'll post soon enough is IMO the best of the bunch, followed by WITS.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: October 13, 2020, 07:42:06 PM »
Didn't realise MSG had so many albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1220 on: October 13, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
Didn't realise MSG had so many albums.

One of the things I respect about Michael Schenker is that he has never not been active. He has an extensive discography that has been in constant motion ever since Lonesome Crow. He's really quite prolific.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: October 13, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »
I love Michael Schenker! :lol

Tempted to click on this in even with an office of people plus reception staff outside the door.  :lol

probalby should wait til tonight.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1223 on: October 13, 2020, 09:10:13 PM »
It's a minute and a half interview clip. But he totally cracks me up, especially when he talks about Rudolph.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: October 13, 2020, 09:20:56 PM »
That's one thing I never really followed, him and his brother.  I know they hate each other though.  Will have to dig to find more of the backstory.