Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142337 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Phenomenon
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2020, 10:47:46 PM »
Hint, Hint

Rock Bottom is 11:26 on Strangers In The Night.

Wow.  I own this CD too.  Again, don't think I've ever properly listened to it. 

Sounds like I will be in for a treat.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2020, 11:55:23 PM »
As a fellow guitarist that is fairly familiar with the man's work, I think that I can say with a fair amount of confidence that if you guys are enjoying MS playing on this album then you're in for a treat later on in this discography thread. In my opinion, his best lead playing is on his first solo album. All of the basic elements are present from the beginning, but the first MSG album is where he shines the greatest. I realize that is jumping ahead quite a bit, but it might give some of you guys that are just discovering him something to look forward to.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2020, 12:27:14 AM »
As a fellow guitarist that is fairly familiar with the man's work, I think that I can say with a fair amount of confidence that if you guys are enjoying MS playing on this album then you're in for a treat later on in this discography thread. In my opinion, his best lead playing is on his first solo album. All of the basic elements are present from the beginning, but the first MSG album is where he shines the greatest. I realize that is jumping ahead quite a bit, but it might give some of you guys that are just discovering him something to look forward to.

Look forward to checking it when Tim gets there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2020, 04:31:54 AM »
The rest of the album wasn't as good as the first half to be honest.  Not a huge fan of the softer stuff but the guitar work makes it enjoyable.

I do like the all out blues in Built For Comfort and the closer was quite good too. 

Rock Bottom though, fuck that's some song.

Looking forward to keep going through the albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2020, 04:48:46 AM »
Just from this album alone you can hear that he's influenced so many guitarists.  The Maiden boys, Michael Dennar, Michael Amott, Criss Oliva, Dimebag.  I can hear them all in his playing.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2020, 05:27:13 AM »
The rest of the album wasn't as good as the first half to be honest.  Not a huge fan of the softer stuff but the guitar work makes it enjoyable.

I do like the all out blues in Built For Comfort and the closer was quite good too. 

Huh, I was pretty sure you'd love Time on My Hands based on your comments yesterday. Perhaps you didn't like the lyric, "I've been drinkin' with a sailor-boy!"  :lol

Built for Comfort always surprises me, because I don't think of MS as a blues player, but holy Thor when he does play blues licks he brings an edge to it. Those chirping harmonic notes are attention grabbing and contrast nicely with the over all sultry nature of the rest of the song.

Lipstick Traces is always nice to hear, but if your not sitting on a beach under an umbrella, it's not really noticeable. It's inclusion on the album is pretty cool though. I always enjoy the little atmospheric numbers...from any band.

Thought you'd have more to say about Queen of the Deep. Pretty imaginative writing from Moog and Schenker there. I think Way and Parker really contribute a lot to this song too.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2020, 05:37:02 AM »
Just from this album alone you can hear that he's influenced so many guitarists.  The Maiden boys, Michael Dennar, Michael Amott, Criss Oliva, Dimebag.  I can hear them all in his playing.

My thought is many guitarist should be at least partially influenced by MS philosophy of having a solo melodically fit the song. He can play fast, but he uses that skill sparingly and at appropriate moments. Plus, he'll avoid cliches and end solos on unexpected notes. That is a great way to make a memory in the listener. I don't know, I don't want to gush and I'm not a guitar player so my knowledge of technique is poor at best. I just know that even at a young age (mine) his playing and therefore UFO stood out.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2020, 05:51:07 AM »

Huh, I was pretty sure you'd love Time on My Hands based on your comments yesterday. Perhaps you didn't like the lyric, "I've been drinkin' with a sailor-boy!"  :lol

Built for Comfort always surprises me, because I don't think of MS as a blues player, but holy Thor when he does play blues licks he brings an edge to it. Those chirping harmonic notes are attention grabbing and contrast nicely with the over all sultry nature of the rest of the song.

Lipstick Traces is always nice to hear, but if your not sitting on a beach under an umbrella, it's not really noticeable. It's inclusion on the album is pretty cool though. I always enjoy the little atmospheric numbers...from any band.

Thought you'd have more to say about Queen of the Deep. Pretty imaginative writing from Moog and Schenker there. I think Way and Parker really contribute a lot to this song too.

I'll revisit Time and Queen.  Halfway through Queen I was wondering how long the song was so I could listen to Rock Bottom again so I guess it didn't have my full attention.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2020, 06:01:32 AM »
Hint, Hint

Rock Bottom is 11:26 on Strangers In The Night.

Wow.  I own this CD too.  Again, don't think I've ever properly listened to it. 

Sounds like I will be in for a treat.

A huge part of your musical education missing there Kade, but we'll get to it. Legendary album and the definitive versions of the songs for me. And Rock Bottom doesn't feel like 11 minutes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2020, 06:20:41 AM »
I'm not quite sure why I never took to him learning the guitar.  Probably because everything I heard wasn't really heavy enough for me.  I guess I'm maturing and exploring more sides to the guitar the older I get.

I remember a while back buying a 5cd MSG thread when you guys were talking about him.  Assault Attack was probably my fav of the bunch.  Probably cause it was a little heavier.  Will revisit all them too as I didn't give all of those much chance either.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2020, 07:53:09 AM »
The thing about Schenker, besides the incredible melodic solos - even when he goes faster, there's a clarity of the notes played, we feel like every note is there for a musical purpose - is the quality of his guitar riffs. But I dont't think he was properly heavy, even at the time he appeared. At least Page, Iommi and Lifeson played heavier riffs at the time.
Rock Bottom maybe was the begginnig of his mastering on guitar riffs and it's still one of his greatest! Man, I NEVER get sick of this song!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2020, 08:00:34 AM »
Alright, as a guitarist, I feel a bit ashamed not really delving into Schenker a little more.  I have so many albums in my collection that I would have never listened to properly and I believe these UFO ones are no exception. 

Halfway through this album and it's very cool.  But the guitar playing is just unreal.

The version I have opens with Oh My.  It seems Oh My and Too Young to Know are switched around for some reason.  Oh My was a solid opener though and I love the guitar work here.  The playing here reminds me a lot of Guthrie Govan's style actually. 

Crystal Light was a nice number and I love Schenkers guitar tones.

Doctor Doctor is obvioulsy a song I know well, but that's a cracker of a tune.  That whole intro is amazing.

Space Child is something really special.  This moment just now I kind of realised the big deal about Schenker.  That solo was bloody incredible.  A four minute song with a guitar solo going for a minute 40!?  Love it.  The pure expression and feel he has when playing is top notch.  The note selections and phrasing are second to none.  A player that really feels the music and connects with the instrument.

I thought that was good then Rock Bottom started.  Man, that riff is sexy.  That solo though, holy shitballs!  How am I just hearing this now, what an incredible 2 minutes 20 or so!  I almost crashed my car it was so good. I rewound it again in the work carpark to listen again.  What a buildup, what a groove, the way he builds the solos is pure class.  Again, some interesting note selctions and the phrasing and expression is wicked.  Really impressed.  Looking forward to the second half of the album on the way home.

You didn't get the cassette tape wound around the capstan, did you?  :) :) :)

(Just busting on you, bud!)

The other thing I noticed is that you can hear all 3 of the Maiden boys are influenced by this guy.  I hear all three of them in the solos of Rock Bottom and Space Child.  His tone is nice and Tipton like too.

Yeah, this can't be understated.   All four of the banjo players in Maiden are HEAVILY influenced by the UFO of that era.   I even think Di'Anno was too (not so much Dickinson; he's more an Ian Gillan guy).   

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2020, 08:02:52 AM »
Yeah, this can't be understated.   All four of the banjo players in Maiden are HEAVILY influenced by the UFO of that era.   I even think Di'Anno was too (not so much Dickinson; he's more an Ian Gillan guy).   

???

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2020, 09:22:39 AM »
I'll revisit Time and Queen.  Halfway through Queen I was wondering how long the song was so I could listen to Rock Bottom again so I guess it didn't have my full attention.

This made me laugh.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
The authopsy bit is stellar stuff, and already worth a whole thread.

Said that, I'm in desperate need for some scientist to invent a 26 hours day, but fock it, there is no way I'm missing this.

UFO are the kings of eternal shelf life details, and Shenk the prince of painstakingly deep guitar writing.

Catching up with the albums tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
Hey look who it is!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »

???

I think he means it should be well known as they are heavily influenced, it should be somewhat knowledge to everyone and well spoken about.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2020, 02:34:45 PM »

I'll say it again, that is such a magical solo. I love that song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2020, 04:31:09 PM »

???

I think he means it should be well known as they are heavily influenced, it should be somewhat knowledge to everyone and well spoken about.

Mostly the first part; Harris names a number of influences, and Murray always names Paul Kossoff (and Gers, Blackmore) but I think UFO, at the end of the day, is their primary influence.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2020, 06:52:25 PM »
You guys ready for Force It? I don't want to go too fast, but we have a lot of ground to cover.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »
I’ve already been doing my homework.....how was “Too Much of Nothing” not a big hit? That song rocks

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2020, 07:05:30 PM »
I’ve already been doing my homework.....how was “Too Much of Nothing” not a big hit? That song rocks

I LOVE that song!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2020, 07:13:11 PM »

I LOVE that song!

It might be the stand out song of all the UFO songs I’ve listened to so far

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2020, 07:34:42 PM »
Force It

Force It (1975)

Released July 1975

1. Let It Roll
2. Shoot Shoot
3. High Flyer
4. Love Lost Love
5. Out In The Street
6. Mother Mary
7. Too Much Of Nothing
8. Dance Your Life Away
9. This Kids (including Between The Walls)

Phil Mogg-Vocals
Michael Schenker-Guitar
Pete Way- Bass
Andy Parker-Drums

The follow up to Phenomenon would benefit from the band touring together for the previous year. The album is rocking and has a live feel. Leo Lyons would once again produce. The sound is quite raw and clear. Keyboards courtesy of Lyons' Ten Years After bandmate Chick Churchill.

There are more songs from Force It on Strangers In The Night than any other of the Schenker albums.

For the Force It tour, the band would enlist keyboardist Danny Peyronel, formerly of the Heavy Metal Kids, whoever the hell they were.
Over this tour and the No Heavy Petting tour, Peyronel would play a big role in developing the keyboard parts that Paul Raymond would make famous.

Peyronel, Mogg, Schenker, Parker, Way

FM Broadcast recorded at The Record Plant in LA 9-75
https://youtu.be/S1h9ldHcBAg?t=2

A couple of live clips from the Roundhouse in London 12-1975
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPSsC5cO7qU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFBYat1V2CY

Also it should be noted that Paul Chapman was still in the band when they started writing Force it. He claims to have helped write Let It Roll and Mother Mary. Speaking of Mother Mary, check out Lone Star's song From All Of Us To All Of You, from their second album, Firing On All Six. Let me know when you get to the chorus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGyJisYUBjA&list=PLtJK_InIjqtRGMHPp1RupBVsIS-iIva0E&index=9&t=0s

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: Force It
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »
No more of that space rock stuff, this is when UFO turned it up a notch with the hard rock

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
Yup. Pretty much are on their way.

You mentioned Too Much Of Nothing. That is a deep track, but I have always loved it. It has a great understated guitar solo in it along with the bass and drums. The band was really on fire for that part.

And while Dance Your Life Away is not a favorite of mine, it does have the best guitar solo on the album.

Been thinking about this post, Jason. I'm listening tonight with your post in mind. I have never really loved his first solo album.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2020, 01:33:10 AM »

Been thinking about this post, Jason. I'm listening tonight with your post in mind. I have never really loved his first solo album.

It's not as good as a whole (in the song writing department) as the next album, but his lead playing is at it's best to my ears. That being said, it does have some stellar individual songs. Armed and Ready, Into the Arena and Lost Horizons are MSG classics.

Once again, sorry for leaping ahead. I'll leave further discussion alone until the time for it comes.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2020, 04:57:24 AM »
Late with my comments... had a hectic couple of days.

UFO 1 and Flying.  I could've gotten 'in' to these if I'd first explored them around the same time I was exploring all classic rock from the 70s (ie, in my teenage years).  Psychedellic Rock is what I'd classify it as.  Hell, as I mentioned a couple months back in the main UFO thread, Star Storm sounds like the extended mix of Whole Lotta Love.  On the whole, I left with the thought "what the hell did I just listen to".  Enjoyable enough, but not sure they'll draw me back in with these two albums.

Phenomenon.  Maybe it was a function of multi-tasking during both listens, but nothing really grabbed my attention with this.  Naturally, I know Doctor Doctor and Rock Bottom, but I'm very much partial to the SitN version of the latter.

Force It.  Yum Yum.  Much better variety here.  I'm spinning Mother Mary right now, and every song has given me something to appreciate so far.  Let it Roll was a great opener; High Flyer a nice ballad and bluesy solo; Mother Mary had a cracking solo; Too Much of Nothing ... jj's right.  This should've had "hit" potential.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2020, 05:10:31 AM »
That's great Chad!

Yes High Flyer does indeed have a tasty solo, much like Time On My Hands.

It's not as good as a whole (in the song writing department) as the next album, but his lead playing is at it's best to my ears. That being said, it does have some stellar individual songs. Armed and Ready, Into the Arena and Lost Horizons are MSG classics.

Once again, sorry for leaping ahead. I'll leave further discussion alone until the time for it comes.

Cool. We'll pick it up in a couple of weeks or so.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2020, 06:00:52 AM »
Second listen of Time on My Hands and yeah that's a nice solo.  Not my fav on the album but indeed a well crafted solo.  Will try and get onto Force It tomorrow.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2020, 06:07:11 AM »
I bought so many classic albums in '75, but very few have stuck with me like Force It. Physical Graffiti and Night at the Opera being the only real contenders.

Lyons improved his skills tremendously with this album (or maybe just had a better engineer). Parker and Way are much easier to hear and follow along with. It really gives this album more of a band feel and helps you appreciate just how fantastic of a rhythm section they are. Chick Churchill's contributions really broadened their sound

The two songs penned by Way (Out in the Streets and Too Much of Nothing) are outstanding deep tracks that really round out the album and keep it from getting too samey.

I think this where Mogg really started to come into his own. I don't know if it was his or Lyon's idea to have so much more vocal harmonies but they really add to the performances. Tim, have you ever heard who it was who was singing those harmonies? It doesn't sound like Mogg double tracked. I suspect it may have been Way but I don't know why I think that.

Let It Roll, Shoot Shoot, are great opening tracks that make a "we're rockin' now" statement. High Flyer really shows Schenker's love and skill with acoustic guitar...of course with a fantastic restrained solo. Love the intro lead to Love Lost Love and the really heavy tone of the rhythm riffs. Yes your pretty, but who needs a pretty face/With a hot lip reputation -- nice Phil. Out in the Street is my favorite from side one. Love the keyboards and Schenker's solo, how it starts out nice and mellow and then builds to a real intense climax. He's just so great at that.

Mother Mary, just so heavy. I love how in the second verse they lean into the chugging riff and Way adds extra notes to give it a galloping feel that intensifies Schenker and Parker. Of course Schenker's lead work is interesting, short with little sprinkles during the chorus of the second half. Too Much of Nothing (again written by Way) is my second favorite from side two. Parker's fills and Ways and rambling baseline along with Schenker's wailing lead notes...fuck, I just love it. Like Tim mentioned above, I never really liked Dance Your Life Away very much, but that's probably because I can't dance. Over the years, I've warmed up to it...of course, it doesn't hurt that the lead is ripping! (I can't wait to hear what Kade thinks of it). This Kid's is the highlight of side two for me (maybe even the whole album). The opening riff is awesome, but Schenker playing single note riff in harmony with Mogg in the verses is the best! Bands don't do enough of that in my opinion. UFO would revisit the technique a few times over the coming years and I think it's magic. Then it slides into that tasty blues showcase to close it out. Between the Walls may be my favorite album closer ever. It's like a scoop of chocolate ice cream after an intense and satisfying meal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2020, 06:27:21 AM »

I think this where Mogg really started to come into his own. I don't know if it was his or Lyon's idea to have so much more vocal harmonies but they really add to the performances. Tim, have you ever heard who it was who was singing those harmonies? It doesn't sound like Mogg double tracked. I suspect it may have been Way but I don't know why I think that.

My understanding is that it is James Dewar from Robin Trower's Band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2020, 06:42:59 AM »
Great writeup Gregg.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2020, 07:00:41 AM »
Yeah Gregg. Lots to chew on there. I’m at work but I’ll dig in later. I have an interesting take on those backing vocals that I want to talk about tonight.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2020, 07:02:39 AM »
Yeah Gregg. Lots to chew on there. I’m at work but I’ll dig in later. I have an interesting take on those backing vocals that I want to talk about tonight.

DTF while at work.  :metal