Author Topic: The post funny stuff thread v.Aleph-naught  (Read 168451 times)

T-ski and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The post funny stuff thread v.Aleph-naught
« Reply #805 on: July 16, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
Lawyers of the board, is this sound advice?

https://old.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/olecn5/know_your_rights_its_shut_the_fck_up_friday/

Not my expertise, to be honest (I don't do criminal law), and also, frankly, not my style.  I'm sure there's a basis for most of it, if not all of it, though.

I don't do criminal law either.  However, being an antagonistic prick to a cop that pulls you over for a traffic violation (my characterization of what they advised in the second half of the video) is a terrible idea that's likely to you you in worse hot water than you already were (there are countless videos on YouTube that illustrate this).  Somewhere around 15 years ago, I made a right turn on red at an intersection that had a sign that said no right on red.  It was an intersection I'd driven through tons of times in the past, and I'd never noticed the sign.  The cop pulled me over and explained why.  I asked, "is that a new thing?" and he said it had been like that for years.  I chuckled and said, in a mea culpa tone of voice, that I'd never noticed it.  He then let me go with a warning (the ONLY time that happened in my 35+ years of driving and having been pulled over well over a dozen times (mostly in the first few years after I got my license)).  I'm confident that, had I acted as these clowns advised, I'd have gotten a ticket.

All that being said, if you're in the world of actual crime, exercising your right to remain silent is rarely a bad idea.

Can't disagree with any of that.  I'm usually very polite to the police (and not averse to dropping a "hey look, not giving you a hard time; I get it, my brother's on the job" if need be), but then again, virtually every run in is via a traffic stop, not an illegal weed shop raid.  :)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #806 on: July 16, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »
Last time I got pulled over, I got nabbed speeding on Rt.2 coming back from Mohegan. The conversation went like this.

Cop: Going a little fast today. What's the hurry?
Me: My apologies officer. This isn't my primary vehicle and the speed got away from me (was driving my ex's car)
Cop: How fast were you going?
Me: I'd guess 86 or 87.
Cop: You were doing 85. I'm going to give you a ticket for failure to obey a sign. It's $93 if you plead guilty and you won't get any points on your license. For all the insurer will know, you parked too far from a curb or something.   

I don't know if it was me being polite and honest that lead her to go easy on me, but it probably didn't hurt. I couldn't imagine trying to flex on or challenge a cop in such a scenario.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #807 on: July 16, 2021, 02:54:04 PM »
By the way, the best YouTube traffic videos are those where some sovereign citizen idiot tries to play games with a cop and the cop won't have it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #808 on: July 16, 2021, 03:00:00 PM »
I've spent a fair amount of time trying to explain to people that just because you're legally right doesn't mean that you want to spend years of your life (and a small fortune) proving it. Yeah, I can be a dick to a cop, and yeah, I'll eventually be cleared, but it's honestly just not worth the hassle of getting beaten up, getting tased, spending a couple of weeks in jail, and then fighting the charges and the subsequent appeals to prove that I'm right. Hell, you can't even sue them anymore for violating your civil rights since they're immune in just about anything they do. When it's just a basic traffic stop you're best off playing nice. If it moves beyond a basic traffic stop, then maybe you're better off asserting yourself.

"Am I being detained" isn't going to get you anywhere. It's a very legitimate question with very legitimate legal implications, but Johnny has years of experience getting around it. What's your answer going to be when he says "no, but you're not free to go, either?"  :lol  What is helpful is knowing what he's actually doing. If he pulls you over for a moving violation, then says he says he's going to let you go with a warning, or a trivial "failure to obey a sign" kind of thing, mission accomplished. Being nice paid off. If he follows up his act of generosity by asking if there are any drugs in the car, the nature of the stop is not what you thought it was and that courtesy may well work against you. That's when it may be time to start asserting yourself. A cop who pulled you over for speeding is not the same as a cop who pulled you over to snoop around and see if you're worth fucking with, and they shouldn't be treated the same.

Their original point involved people being in a dispensary that had been raided, though. When the federales get involved things are sufficiently bad enough bad that pissing them off isn't really going to land you any deeper, and respectfully asserting your right to shut the fuck up is obligatory. The DEA is not going to let you off with a warning because you were being civil, and they will use anything you say against you.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #809 on: July 16, 2021, 03:22:39 PM »
By the way, the best YouTube traffic videos are those where some sovereign citizen idiot tries to play games with a cop and the cop won't have it.
I'M A FREEMAN OF THE LAND! I DO NOT CONSENT! I DO NOT CONSENT!

Those guys tend to piss me off, and generally I'm not crazy about people who go out of their way to push Johnny's buttons. If he's legitimately working towards the public interest I see no reason not to be helpful. Yes, I can carry my rifle down the street in public, and no, I have no obligation to tell him who I am, but frankly, I don't mind them taking an interest in a guy like me walking down a city street with an AR15.

I have recently become a minor fan of a YT channel called Audit the Audit, though. My first thought was that simply calling yourself an auditor when you set out to create a confrontation with Johnny doesn't make you any less of a dick. However, after seeing how surprisingly uninformed, either willfully or negligently, and abusive some of cops are, I don't think public audits are such a bad idea. I've been pretty shocked at how little some of these guys know about things they should have learned day one of CJ101. RS and PC aren't exactly new concepts. Terry goes back 50+ years now. State ID laws are something they should have experience with just in the course of doing their job. Yet time and time again you see cops ignore or twist around these things. If the departments aren't going to insure that their officers understand that you can't fuck with somebody just because you don't know who they are, then maybe the public should be hammering that point home.

I don't always agree with AtA's assessments. Sometimes the cops did better than they're given credit for, and sometimes the "auditor" was handling things poorly, but it's an interesting thing, I think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: July 19, 2021, 05:02:28 AM »

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: July 21, 2021, 02:43:22 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: July 21, 2021, 04:09:09 AM »
"Wooster Sheer"

Simple. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #813 on: July 21, 2021, 04:56:25 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: July 21, 2021, 06:44:55 AM »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: July 28, 2021, 03:28:43 AM »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: July 28, 2021, 05:40:14 AM »
I feel dirty for saying it, but that last one was funny. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #817 on: July 29, 2021, 05:37:14 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: July 29, 2021, 05:56:06 AM »
I feel dirty for saying it, but that last one was funny.

Agreed 100%
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #819 on: July 29, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »

This would funnier if it wasn't so accurate.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: July 30, 2021, 02:54:17 AM »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #821 on: July 30, 2021, 08:46:39 AM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #822 on: July 30, 2021, 09:45:54 AM »

Especially when they test for weed.

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: August 03, 2021, 03:37:07 AM »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: August 03, 2021, 06:22:38 AM »
That's a good batch, right there!    I had one of those pens and you're damn right! I was KING! 

I also could use that "haunted house" thing on my daughter and even though she's 20, she'd be up all night.

I both wish I thought of that mailbox thing, and also am grateful some others DIDN'T.  :) :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #826 on: August 03, 2021, 10:57:28 AM »
I don't get the mailbox one (perhaps because I've never lived on a country road).

The pen one I see regularly on Facebook.

I quite enjoyed the chicken and the haunted house.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #827 on: August 03, 2021, 11:03:24 AM »
I don't get the mailbox one (perhaps because I've never lived on a country road).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: August 03, 2021, 11:06:54 AM »
I only get the mailbox one because of Stand By Me.

Those pens were so cool. I remember in 6th grade my best friend had a pen/pencil writing tool that could swap between both. He always had the coolest gadgets. I thought it was because he was Japanese and they were so much more advanced technologically than us.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #829 on: August 03, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »
Still not sure I get it.  That's a pretty clearly photoshopped picture.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #830 on: August 03, 2021, 01:03:15 PM »
It's a relatively common form of vandalism in the USA: driving past and hitting/destroying mailboxes with a baseball bat.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline romdrums

« Reply #831 on: August 03, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »
Ahh...mailbox baseball.  My high school's team was pretty competitive, but was outclassed against those in the Detroit area when it came to state championships.   ;);D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #832 on: August 03, 2021, 03:30:09 PM »
Certainly not common where I'm from (again, I've never lived on a country road)...fortunately.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: August 04, 2021, 06:59:33 AM »
Well, it wasn't limited to just "country roads".  I grew up in what is relatively a farm town, but we weren't THAT rural.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #834 on: August 04, 2021, 08:58:04 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #835 on: August 04, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
This may not be the right thread for this, but I found it amusing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: August 04, 2021, 05:02:44 PM »
That's pretty spot on.  I don't like all of those actors (no one can replace Chris Hemsworth, IMO), but the roles are pretty close.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #837 on: August 04, 2021, 05:11:08 PM »
That's pretty spot on.  I don't like all of those actors (no one can replace Chris Hemsworth, IMO), but the roles are pretty close.

I don't know half of the characters mentioned, but for those I do, they all seemed good.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: August 05, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »
Gary Oldman as Loki would actually be pretty good.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #839 on: August 11, 2021, 03:51:19 PM »
Always enjoy this kind of videos, making animal sounds musical.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/p2f67u/cats_got_talent/
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk