Author Topic: The post funny stuff thread v.Aleph-naught  (Read 182599 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The post funny stuff thread v.Aleph-naught
« Reply #1295 on: January 04, 2022, 09:34:20 AM »
I used to watch the NYE shows to see Donnie Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy's public displays. What a pair.

I watch her on The Masked Singer, and for all her lunacy and what not, she still is a very attractive woman, though the lip fillers are starting to catch up with her.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1296 on: January 04, 2022, 10:07:12 AM »

That's...actually pretty sound advice.  :lol  (although I have no idea why you would bring those things to church)
Y'all don't have potlucks in Cali?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1297 on: January 04, 2022, 11:21:34 AM »
I wake my wife up 10 minutes before midnight. We have a toast, and then we're both asleep by 12:10. :lol

If I woke my wife up at 11:50, I probably wouldn't live past 12:10.

That's...actually pretty sound advice.  :lol  (although I have no idea why you would bring those things to church)

Obviously not a Baptist.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1298 on: January 04, 2022, 11:22:48 AM »

Pot luck.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1299 on: January 04, 2022, 11:30:55 AM »
Jeez, bosky.  After-church potluck lunches are the stuff of legend.  Hell, they are the only reason church happens at all in some places.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1300 on: January 04, 2022, 12:28:56 PM »
I used to watch the NYE shows to see Donnie Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy's public displays. What a pair.

I watch her on The Masked Singer, and for all her lunacy and what not, she still is a very attractive woman, though the lip fillers are starting to catch up with her.

ya....not as bad Famke Jansen...my god woman. What did you do to your face!!?!? or Torri Spelling. UGH...
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1301 on: January 04, 2022, 06:14:31 PM »

ya....not as bad Famke Jansen...my god woman. What did you do to your face!!?!?
Seriously, she now looks 20 years older with a bad face lift. Why can't people just age gracefully. She was still a beautiful woman. And I strongly emphasize *was*, because now she is scary looking. She's starting to look like Jocelyn Wildenstein.... :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1302 on: January 09, 2022, 07:37:11 PM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: January 11, 2022, 06:24:35 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1304 on: January 11, 2022, 07:31:41 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

... then she tells you to choose, and proceeds to complain that isn't what she wanted to eat.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1305 on: January 11, 2022, 08:23:58 AM »
Been there, done that.  Many times.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1306 on: January 11, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »
I'm triggered.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: January 11, 2022, 09:30:55 AM »

... then she tells you to choose, and proceeds to complain that isn't what she wanted to eat.

I put an end to this madness a few years back. I told my wife I'm going to give her three choices, and she gives me three, if we can't agree I'll get what I want and she is on her own. The prospect of her having to get her own lunch/dinner is so horrifying that now she always comes up with something :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1308 on: January 11, 2022, 09:57:43 AM »
The concept of dining together as a social/family thing seems to have evolved.  When I was growing up, we all sat down to dinner together; mom, dad, and the kids.  And we all ate the same thing: whatever mom had made for dinner.

Now, if we all happen to eat together, it just means we're eating at the same time.  Mrs. Orbert may have prepared something for all, but just as often I have some leftovers from something, Son of Orbert doesn't like what mom made so he's ordered something (it will be here soon), and Daughter isn't really hungry since they ate something while she was at her friend's house an hour ago, but she'll sit down with us.

When we go out, everyone orders whatever they want, but at least we're all together at the same place.  For a while, when the kids were younger and schedules were crazy, we'd just go to the food court at the mall.  Everyone can grab whatever they want from any of 20+ places, but at least we all sit and eat together.

I'm not sure what my point was anymore, but I think it had to do with it just being myself and Mrs. O these days, but somehow it seems important that we at least get food from the same place.  Like Mrs. ReaperKK, the idea of her getting food from somewhere else is wrong.  I feel like eating xxxx, but if she's not into that, I'm fine with something else.  She can pick something else.  But she can't decide and it's been 20 minutes now, and I'm hungry.  JUST FUCKING PICK SOMETHING!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1309 on: January 11, 2022, 10:17:14 AM »

Nice to hear I'm not the only one.

The concept of dining together as a social/family thing seems to have evolved.  When I was growing up, we all sat down to dinner together; mom, dad, and the kids.  And we all ate the same thing: whatever mom had made for dinner.

Now, if we all happen to eat together, it just means we're eating at the same time.  Mrs. Orbert may have prepared something for all, but just as often I have some leftovers from something, Son of Orbert doesn't like what mom made so he's ordered something (it will be here soon), and Daughter isn't really hungry since they ate something while she was at her friend's house an hour ago, but she'll sit down with us.

Sounds like my house, except that, when I was growing up, things were very different.  My father died when I was 7, and I have only fuzzy recollections of a few things before that.  After he died, it was just my mother and I for a few years until my older brother moved back in.  I was a hugely finicky eater, and my mom would make something special for me, and I'd eat it in front of the TV while she made whatever she was going to eat.  My brother was on his own, and the only times we sat down together as a family were birthdays and holidays.

With my own family, we started out with everyone eating together, but that hasn't been the case for the last 5-6 years (my kids are now 19 and just turned 18).  Before we had kids, I used to make the "McDonald's-Wendy's run" because we lived near a location where both were almost next door to each other.  I've never been a fan of McD's, and she wasn't ever a big fan of Wendy's.  That has evolved into the use of the word "fend" a lot in the house (as in, "you guys get what you want, and I'll fend [for myself]").  My daughter is now a vegetarian, so she's almost always on the outside looking in, and the son has taken to ordering pizza after everyone else is asleep.  Fun stuff!

The other thing is that my wife and son (although I finally got my wife out of the habit for the most part) are/were in the habit of coming to me and declaring, "I'm hungry, but I don't know what I want" (which was essentially a demand that I figure out what they want to eat).  UGH!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: January 11, 2022, 11:22:31 AM »
I love my wife, but - and I've told her this to her face, so I'm not talking out of school - she's a zero at that situational decision-making.   I once asked her for the recipe to "I don't care", since she requested that so much I figured I should know how to make it! :) :)

I do most/all the cooking, so I accommodate where I can.  My stepson and daughter are both very picky (for different reasons) so I will sometimes have to make three different meals, but overall it's usually good.

The only rule: if we're all home we all sit and eat at the same time.  If you can't spare 30 minutes for your fam, then there's a bigger problem.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1311 on: January 11, 2022, 12:36:53 PM »
Mundane but true story:  I was grabbing dinner somewhere between work and rehearsal, and at a nearby table, a lady and her daughter were eating, and the lady was telling the little girl that when she was little, they would all sit down and have dinner together, just like on that TV show that were watching last night.  The little girl couldn't believe it.  You all ate the same thing?  What if someone didn't like it?  And so on.

In my house, you had two choices: eat what mom made for dinner, or go hungry.  Not liking what mom made was irrelevant.  This is the food.  If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it, but you aren't getting anything else.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: January 11, 2022, 12:41:49 PM »
In my house, you had two choices: eat what mom made for dinner, or go hungry.  Not liking what mom made was irrelevant.  This is the food.  If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it, but you aren't getting anything else.

That was my house. 

Mom: "We're having pork chops."
Me:  "I want something different!"
Dad: "HAHA, that's funny.  Eat your dinner."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1313 on: January 11, 2022, 03:38:22 PM »

That was my house. 

That's still my house. Almost every day I say something along the lines of "you don't have to eat it, but this is what's for dinner. There's nothing else until breakfast." And you know what? They always eat it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1314 on: January 11, 2022, 04:16:44 PM »
I just remembered something from the early years.  Mom made something that I just couldn't eat.  I mean I'd take a mouthful, or even just a little bit, and gag.  I could not swallow it.  It was horrible.  I recall now that the original rule was that you had to eat your dinner; you don't leave the table until it's gone.  I couldn't do it.  I tried.  I actually wanted to eat it, just so I could get up and leave, but I couldn't do it.  Everyone else finished up, headed out to the living room to watch TV, whatever, but I sat there at the table for hours trying to eat my dinner, and failing because my mouth just wouldn't allow it.  Finally, at like 10:00, my mom came back in and took it away.  It was time to go to bed (school night).

I think that's when the rule changed from "you must eat what mom made" to "you either eat it or go hungry".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: January 12, 2022, 07:59:39 AM »

That was my house. 

That's still my house. Almost every day I say something along the lines of "you don't have to eat it, but this is what's for dinner. There's nothing else until breakfast." And you know what? They always eat it.

There is a great line in Yellowstone about that.  Mo Brings Plenty's wife gives their son a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and the kid won't eat it.  Mo asks, and the wife says he doesn't like them.  Mo says "Boy's not hungry enough."    Word. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1316 on: January 12, 2022, 09:54:55 AM »
Mo Brings Plenty's wife gives their son a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

I'm honestly not sure what this is a reference to, but this is one of the stranger sentence fragments I've read in a while.   :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: January 12, 2022, 11:14:05 AM »
Mo Brings Plenty's wife gives their son a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

I'm honestly not sure what this is a reference to, but this is one of the stranger sentence fragments I've read in a while.   :lol

In the TV show Yellowstone (EXCELLENT, by the way) the subject ranch - the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch - is adjacent to an Indian reservation.   One of the characters is named "Mo Brings Plenty"(interestingly, his name in real life and in the show) and there was a scene in Mo's kitchen, where the exchange took place.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1318 on: January 12, 2022, 11:18:22 AM »
I've seen the scenes to Yellowstone. It actually looks interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1319 on: January 12, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »

My wife watches it and I have caught bits and pieces.  The most memorable was about 10-15 minutes of colossal assholes being dicks to other colossal assholes.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1320 on: January 12, 2022, 11:29:29 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: January 12, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »

My wife watches it and I have caught bits and pieces.  The most memorable was about 10-15 minutes of colossal assholes being dicks to other colossal assholes.

I just finished Season 4 last night (there are four seasons so far, and season five is supposed to start filming in May), and while that is not entirely inaccurate, it's not accurate either.  It's an incredibly well-written, well-acted (Kelly Reilly and Cole Hauser are just GOLD) series that explores a fair amount of issues facing us (as Americans) every day, without ANY preaching or grandstanding.  It's about honor, even if that is sometimes honor amongst thieves. It's about personal choice versus adapting to one's environment.  It's about family and what it means to BE family...  I've cried twice watching it; it can be brutal at times (Beth, played by Kelly Reilly, is not for the faint-hearted) but it's very clear in the context that LIFE is brutal at times, and this show shows - without judgment - how these particular people navigate that minefield.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: January 12, 2022, 11:39:05 AM »

That's pretty much Alan Rickman in (clockwise), Duran Duran, Human League,  Depeche Mode, and Nine Inch Nails (not 80s New Wave, but still).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1323 on: January 12, 2022, 12:32:21 PM »

I just finished Season 4 last night (there are four seasons so far, and season five is supposed to start filming in May), and while that is not entirely inaccurate, it's not accurate either.

It WAS accurate of the bit I saw (although I can't necessarily say with certainty that the characters I saw were always assholes).  The rest of your description sounds very unappealing.

That's pretty much Alan Rickman in (clockwise), Duran Duran, Human League,  Depeche Mode, and Nine Inch Nails (not 80s New Wave, but still).

I was thinking the top right was Duran Duran (very much a Simon LeBon).  Top left is more Thompson Twins.  Bottom left Depeche Mode or Ministry (not that I'm particularly familiar with either band).  Not sure about the Hans Gruber pic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1324 on: January 12, 2022, 12:58:31 PM »
It's an incredibly well-written, well-acted (Kelly Reilly and Cole Hauser are just GOLD) series that explores a fair amount of issues facing us (as Americans) every day, without ANY preaching or grandstanding.  It's about honor, even if that is sometimes honor amongst thieves. It's about personal choice versus adapting to one's environment.  It's about family and what it means to BE family...  I've cried twice watching it; it can be brutal at times (Beth, played by Kelly Reilly, is not for the faint-hearted) but it's very clear in the context that LIFE is brutal at times, and this show shows - without judgment - how these particular people navigate that minefield.
That's a pretty fucking good description of the show.

That was definitely the scenario when I was growing up.

Our eldest now lives with her fiance, but with my wife and youngest, we always eat dinner together, and almost always the same thing.  If my wife cooks, she cooks one meal, and that's what we all eat.  Or we will order dinner from one restaurant. 

My wife is the most finnicky eater of any of us, so if she cooks it, we all like it (or we damn well shut up about it and eat it).

My wife will occasionally declare it to be a "whatever" night, meaning we all fend for ourselves from whatever is on hand in pantry, fridge, or freezer, i.e. she is not cooking.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1325 on: January 12, 2022, 01:24:45 PM »
That's basically how I have always felt it should be.  But that isn't how it often plays out in our house, for two reasons:

(1)  My wife at some point fairly early on took to making different things to appease what she knows are likes/dislikes of the kids.  It kinda drives me nuts, but it's a battle I don't need to fight. 

(2)  To varying degrees, the kids all know how to cook and are decent at it, so they can (and sometimes do) make whatever they want to eat if they don't like what is there. 

Through the years, I have chosen to not dwell on the things about those scenarios that bother me, and to just enjoy the fact that we at least make the time to eat together almost every night.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 04:04:58 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1326 on: January 12, 2022, 02:50:15 PM »
That's really the important thing, just the fact that you're having a meal together.  I'm not sure why, but it seems like something that helps reinforce bonds and stuff like that.  We all need to eat; might as well do it together.  Shared experience and all that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: January 13, 2022, 09:35:16 PM »
Loving the appreciation for eating as a family. Both my wife and I grew up doing so, and have striven to incorporate it in to our family. We struggled for a bit with my elder kid in getting her to eat what we made for dinner, but it has gotten a lot better. We are trying extra hard with our younger to avoid those same struggles as she gets older.

Getting back on track with the funnies...

The most memorable was about 10-15 minutes of colossal assholes being dicks to other colossal assholes.

Isn't this the basis for all reality tv shows?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1329 on: January 13, 2022, 09:51:02 PM »
It's always been important to us, and we incorporated it when the kids were young so it would be second nature.  I mean, we aren't completely inflexible about it.  We bend the rule on that occasionally.  If one of them has a final and needs more study time, and wants to get dinner on the run to study, for example, it's fine...provided it doesn't become a habit.  But I can't begin to describe the value in just having that time together every day.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."