Author Topic: WandaVision (Disney+) Official Thread  (Read 18898 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: WandaVision (Disney+) Official Thread
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2021, 08:41:15 AM »
As great as the finale was, I did notice that a couple of things sorta got dropped along the way, and some priorities apparently shifted.  Some have pointed out that the FBI's missing person, which is what brought Agent Jimmy Woo to Westview in the first place, was never resolved.  What I noticed was that Darcy practically disappeared.  After her great entrance in Episode 4 and work with Jimmy and Monica in the next several episodes, and her important chat with Vision, we only saw her once briefly in the finale.  It was a cool scene; she got to T-bone Hayward and yell something at him, but that was it.

But as some had suspected: ‘WandaVision’ Director Says Monica, Darcy & Jimmy Woo Had Bigger Roles In Finale But Scenes Were Cut.  Bummer.  It doesn't seem worthwhile to finish the scenes now, and it's not like they'll make a boxed set for this short TV series, so we'll probably never see the finished versions of these scenes.

And now, the Orbert Moment you were dreading (but knew was coming):

While digging around and reading up on WandaVision, I discovered that series creator Jac Schaeffer is female, and she's really pretty.

Odd pose, possibly as flattering as they were gonna get, but I was kinda blindsided by that picture from this article.  The only person I know named Jac is the son of a friend of mine.  After reading up on this series for weeks, I always assumed Jac Schaeffer was a guy.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2021, 09:00:31 AM »
Yea. I think covid ended up changing some stuff in the finale that would have been better or more fleshed out if not for covid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »
As great as the finale was, I did notice that a couple of things sorta got dropped along the way, and some priorities apparently shifted.  Some have pointed out that the FBI's missing person, which is what brought Agent Jimmy Woo to Westview in the first place, was never resolved. 
Was there anything to resolve here? I thought it was clear that it was one of the Westview residents, all of whom were under the spell within the Hex.

I agree about some of the side characters not getting much screen time in the last couple of episodes but hopefully we'll see more of them later on within the MCU.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2021, 09:11:12 AM »
I think it's just that people expected there to be a big reveal/payoff for whoever this person turned out to be, whereas it ended up just being a plot device to get the FBI to that location, which some felt was kinda lame/lazy writing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2021, 10:43:32 AM »
What they did with Quicksilver didn't work for me though and the fact they played it for a bad joke instead of doing something interesting with it felt like a missed opportunity. Image in the S2 finale of Mandalorian with the powerful Jedi appearing in his x-wing, cutting down all the enemies and then revealing himself to be.. Jar-Jar Binks. That's kinda how this felt. :/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2021, 01:07:06 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2021, 01:12:35 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2021, 01:43:15 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »
Glorious!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »
So with Falcon and the Winter Soldier (FatWS) coming up, should we make this a general MCU TV thread?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #256 on: March 12, 2021, 07:07:06 AM »
I'd be okay with that, since the series will not really overlap.  But at that point, I keep wondering if this thread should be merged with the main MCU (movies) thread, because of all the overlap in terms of story lines.  I'm sure there are decent arguments either way.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #257 on: March 12, 2021, 07:47:07 AM »
Yeah we already have an MCU thread to cover both movies and TV. The purpose of having specific threads for individual films/shows is so that people can avoid spoilers in the main thread. So I'm happy for a new thread to be created for Falcon.

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #258 on: March 12, 2021, 08:08:08 AM »
Fine Rich. Be that way.  :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #259 on: March 12, 2021, 11:47:10 AM »
Yeah we already have an MCU thread to cover both movies and TV. The purpose of having specific threads for individual films/shows is so that people can avoid spoilers in the main thread. So I'm happy for a new thread to be created for Falcon.

One thread for Falcon

One thread for the Winter Soldier
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: March 12, 2021, 12:04:06 PM »

One thread for Falcon

One thread for the Winter Soldier

Consider me on Team Winter Soldier.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #261 on: March 12, 2021, 04:02:42 PM »
so that people can avoid spoilers in the main thread.

I hadn't thought about that.  That's a good point, and I hate spoilers, so I'm now in favor.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #262 on: March 12, 2021, 07:33:23 PM »
Looks like they dropped a making of WandaVision, it's an hour long doc. Too tired to check it out tonight.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: March 13, 2021, 06:49:25 AM »
Looks like they dropped a making of WandaVision, it's an hour long doc. Too tired to check it out tonight.

I knew it was coming, but forgot until about 9pm last night.  jingle.son and I are gonna tackle it this afternoon.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »
My wife and I did a Marvel run leading up to Wandavision and we enjoyed it so much more than I thought we would. I remember 'liking' most of the movies, but watching everything in a row really cemented my appreciation for just how 'next-level' the MCU is in regards to movies and the overall story.

I'm as much of a cinefile as the next guy (The Deerhunter Ironman is not), but man, it was nice just to have a little fun for a couple of months - especially with everything that's been going on.

That all being said, Wandavision really stunned me. I had looooow expectations, but the show not only exceeded them by a country mile, it also managed to give us a healthy dose of an artistic vision (ahem) that we had yet to see previously. It was high-concept, but man oh man did it pay off.

Hats off to everyone involved, and I can't wait to see what's coming next.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2021, 11:44:10 AM »
The behind the scenes was excellent.  I'd even commented to jingle.son as it was starting how impressed I was with the theme songs for each sitcom, so I really enjoyed the segment on that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »
I loved the theme songs from the weekly shows.  For every one of them, I was so busy finding stylistic and thematic links to classic themes that I never listened to the words.  I did read a couple of things about the lyrics online, but never followed up.  It's like every single thing about this show was a "detail".  No filler.  Nothing was done without some serious thought going into every aspect of it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »
Loved the behind the scenes as well, though I fell asleep halfway through last night (worked 13 hours). I'll do a re-watch tonight for sure.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2021, 06:54:15 PM »
Watched the making of with my kiddo.

Glad you guys enjoyed it.  ???

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Loved the series.....I found the making of to be a snooze fest and pretty dull.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2021, 01:22:56 PM »
It certainly wasn't as compelling as the Mandalorian 'behind-the-scenes' shows, but I thought it was insightful.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #270 on: March 18, 2021, 07:44:31 AM »
I loved it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #271 on: March 18, 2021, 09:03:58 AM »
It certainly wasn't as compelling as the Mandalorian 'behind-the-scenes' shows, but I thought it was insightful.

True.  But the Madalorian shows also were able to do a lot more simply by virtue of volume because there were more of them. 

I'm a sucker for well-done behind-the-scenes stuff.  I watched every moment of all the special features on the LOTR DVD's way back when, for example.  And while I know that that it is less common for someone to spend that much time (I couldn't do it nowadays, but was at a station in my life when I could back when those came out), they clearly understood that there was a market for that sort of thing.  Heck, that's why blooper reels started to catch on in the '80s--aside from the "funny" factor, fans love getting to peek behind the curtain and see how the sausage is made. 

But as much as I love that sort of thing when it is well done, it is harder and harder at this stage of life to devote extensive time to it.  It is hard to sit through all the Mandalorian stuff for me, even though it is fantastic.  The WandaVision behind-the-scenes feature's conciseness worked in its favor in that regard.  It was sufficiently in-depth to really make fans of the show appreciate the show even more, which is a win in and of itself.  But it was also sufficiently short that I think more people watched it.  My wife, for example, who generally does not care about such behind-the-scenes stuff, actually sat and watched it, and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Plus, it also had going for it that it came out in a gap week while excitement for the show was still at a high, and we are all collectively jonesing for Falcon and Winter Soldier to start up this week.