Poll

Pick whichever apply to you!

One whole show from one concert/night.
Songs from a multi-night stand at a single venue.
Songs from the same tour/tour-leg.
Songs from the same tour/different legs.
Songs from different tours.

Author Topic: How do you prefer your live albums? Compilation or Single Show?  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: How do you prefer your live albums? Compilation or Single Show?
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2020, 08:59:30 AM »
Option #1 of course.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »
i can't watch live dvds where it is obvious the music is dubbed in, with clothes and instrument changes happening randomly.
The worst culprit was a Royal Hunt live dvd where vocals were clearly not live (though I believe John West claimed they were).

I'm a big Night Ranger fan, I've seen them live a couple times (always good) and I really like the live acoustic set they put out a couple years ago.  Well, I just watched the DVD that came with it, and... ugh.   They clearly touched up some of Kelly's vocals (Jack's too, but not as many) and they flubbed the sych, so that his vocals are out of synch with the drumming and it's very distracting.   

In the song "The Secret Of My Success", there's a line that Kelly sings ("The secret of my success is I'm livin' 25 hours a day!") and the "a day" is this high sustained note.   He sang it on a lower note the first, second and fourth times, but miraculously he nailed the high note on the third time, but oddly the camera was showing the keyboard player smiling while he did it.  The band is noted for their sense of humor; it's so bad I'm almost wondering if they were taking the piss. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
The only exception I can think of is Zappa/Mothers live albums.  Frank makes it completely obvious what he's done; he's taken live tracks and added studio stuff because in the end, what he's created musically is what counts.  I've been listening to Frank's stuff since high school, so I guess this is another "other" category, since I accept this in the name of the art he's creating.  But somehow I have trouble applying this same mentality to other bands.  Maybe because they present it as a live album, and then it's just too obvious that it's not all live.  So the honesty is indeed important.

Crimson does - or did - the same thing; most of the "Starless and Bible Black" is taken from a show in... Amsterdam (at the Concertgebouw; I think that's in Amsterdam), the crowd noise removed, and the tracks edited and overdubbed over as if they were studio backing tracks.   Fripp has been very forthcoming about that fact, and in fact, has made it a crucial part of the mythology of the band (as primary a vehicle for improvisation). 

Yeah, King Crimson goes the other way with it.  I forgot about that.  They take live recordings, remove the audience, and release them as studio tracks.  Of course, they don't come right out and say "this is a studio recording" so I suppose that technically there's no deception involved, and I don't think I'd complain anyway.  It's just the album.  Fripp said that with the 70's band especially, there was an energy when they played live that was impossible to recreate in the studio, so he just took live recordings and worked with them.  That's cool.

To me, I guess it's because studio recordings and live recordings are different creations.  In the studio, you can do as many takes as you want, overdub and layer as much as you want, edit, fix, tweak, until it's perfect.  Live recordings (to me) are about what the band can do in real time, single take.  If you were there that night, this is what you saw and heard.

But if you're up front about what you've done (as with Zappa and Crimson), then the line becomes blurred.  At some point, the track transcends definition as either studio or live, and becomes simply the finished work.  You appreciate it for what it is, or not.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »
It's all music, at the end of the day.

By the way, another pet peeve with compilation live albums:  snippets of important gigs.

The new Queen Bohemian Rhapsody soundtrack release has "LIVE AID!".... except it skips "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".   Ozzy's "Live And Loud" has "Black Sabbath" with the original band at his retirement show!... except it skips the other three songs.   I get that you can't always release a full show, but if you're going to advertise an event, put out the friggin' event, not just a teaser for it. 

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »
Whether it be the same venue or several shows on the same leg I like the multiple show approach. It gives them multiple tries to get the best performance possible. Obvious overdubs in live releases always bug me and most artists seem to go that route than release a flawed show.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2020, 03:34:55 PM »
I'm almost wondering if they were taking the piss.

Did they use the fly hole?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2020, 03:35:37 PM »

HAHAHA. It is inescapable!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »

:tup :tup :tup