Author Topic: Ernie Ball Music Man Artist Series: John Myung Bongo Six-String Bass  (Read 3132 times)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Hurray, JM has finally got his own signature bass with Music Man.  Took long enough!

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/john-myung

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys_1L5wedis

Offline goo-goo

Re: Ernie Ball Music Man Artist Series: John Myung Bongo Six-String Bass
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
Damn, that looks very nice.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:34:24 AM »
Love it, but it's probably going to be priced around 3K, so it won't be for me :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:53:33 AM »
What is the point of the divided wood fretboard, and what is "a golden ratio fretboard"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »
What is the point of the divided wood fretboard, and what is "a golden ratio fretboard"?

He talks about it in this interview (28:40) https://ernieball.co.uk/strikingachord/john-myung

But it's basically this (the vertical line being the split in the wood):

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »
This is a must buy for me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 11:07:52 AM »
It's now available in Platinum Silver  :tup

I really want one, but there's no way I'm dropping 3K on something like that :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »
If Music Man would put their signature basses on Sweetwater, who does financing plans, I would already own the black one. I’ll never be able to drop 3K in one shot, but I could swing six 500 buck payments.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 08:25:39 PM »
If Music Man would put their signature basses on Sweetwater, who does financing plans, I would already own the black one. I’ll never be able to drop 3K in one shot, but I could swing six 500 buck payments.

Yeah, for whatever reason they only offer them through their "Vault" or something like that :huh:

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 09:38:49 PM »

There's financing available through Afirm

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/john-myung (right below buy now)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 10:40:09 PM »

The financing through Affirm is different than the Easy Pay option on Sweetwater. For Affirm you’re subject to a credit check, while with Easy Pay, you can use your debit or credit card, or even PayPal or mobile pay, without a credit check, almost like a monthly subscription.

-MirrorMask

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 06:31:24 AM »

The financing through Affirm is different than the Easy Pay option on Sweetwater. For Affirm you’re subject to a credit check, while with Easy Pay, you can use your debit or credit card, or even PayPal or mobile pay, without a credit check, almost like a monthly subscription.

Thanks for the clarification. I’ve seen the Affirm thing pop up more often. Seem slike the SW is definitely friendlier.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 06:32:07 AM »
awesome - only reason it took as long as it did is because of how low profile JM is.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 09:49:56 AM »

Thanks for the clarification. I’ve seen the Affirm thing pop up more often. Seem slike the SW is definitely friendlier.

Oh the Sweetwater thing is way friendlier. Sweetwater’s customer service is unrivaled. Everything they do is for the convenience and satisfaction of their customers.

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 10:11:22 AM »

Oh the Sweetwater thing is way friendlier. Sweetwater’s customer service is unrivaled. Everything they do is for the convenience and satisfaction of their customers.

Plus, they give you candy ;D :lol

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 07:13:59 AM »

I wish more businesses would do this. I love hobby shops that allow me to buy a $1200 truck and pay for it over three or four months interest free.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2022, 09:28:29 PM »
awesome - only reason it took as long as it did is because of how low profile JM is.

I think EBMM only recently started making signature guitars and basses. The guy from Rage Against The Machine got a signature bass not too long ago. I don't think all of the Petrucci guitars were official signature models. Hopefully someone here who knows more about EBMM can give more info on this but I'm pretty sure there was a "no signature model" policy until fairly recently.

Edit: After doing a little reading elsewhere, it seems that those signature guitars are in fact signature guitars. So maybe it was just bass players that never got a signature model until a couple years ago.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 07:11:09 AM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 10:17:44 AM »

I think EBMM only recently started making signature guitars and basses. The guy from Rage Against The Machine got a signature bass not too long ago. I don't think all of the Petrucci guitars were official signature models. Hopefully someone here who knows more about EBMM can give more info on this but I'm pretty sure there was a "no signature model" policy until fairly recently.

Edit: After doing a little reading elsewhere, it seems that those signature guitars are in fact signature guitars. So maybe it was just bass players that never got a signature model until a couple years ago.

I believe Joe Dart from Vulfpeck was the first bassist to get a signature model with EBMM.

-MirrorMask

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »

I believe Joe Dart from Vulfpeck was the first bassist to get a signature model with EBMM.

I think you're right. Or at least he got his before Myung and the guy from Rage Against The Machine.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2022, 12:58:01 PM »

I think you're right. Or at least he got his before Myung and the guy from Rage Against The Machine.

I think the order goes:

1-Joe Dart
2-Mike Herrera
3-John Myung
4-Cliff Williams
5-Tim Commerford

-MirrorMask