Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 169953 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 03, 2021, 09:23:46 PM »
Meddle and TDB each have a Floyd 'Mount Rushmore' song for me, but not a lot else. If I need a TDB fix, which basically amounts to High Hopes, A Great Day for Freedom, and Coming Back to Life, I'll pop in PULSE.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1576 on: May 03, 2021, 09:31:08 PM »
It's not a true TDB fix without Poles Apart and Keep Talking.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: May 03, 2021, 09:36:57 PM »
Poles Apart is alright. Keep Talking never did anything for me though.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: May 28, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »
Anybody checked out Nick Mason's Bluray? I usually gets Waters/Gilmour solo releases but this one I'm kinda on the fence about. I like Mason, but I'm not sure if it merits an entire show just for his drumming, the setlist is not that encouraging either.
However, it says he plays Atom Heart Mother.. that's a pretty huge plus for me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1579 on: May 29, 2021, 03:48:19 AM »
Anybody checked out Nick Mason's Bluray? I usually gets Waters/Gilmour solo releases but this one I'm kinda on the fence about. I like Mason, but I'm not sure if it merits an entire show just for his drumming, the setlist is not that encouraging either.

He doesn't play the whole thing though.

I saw the tour, it was a great concert, but I didn't buy the live album on any format. Not sure I'll ever sit down and listen/watch that whole concert.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1580 on: May 29, 2021, 09:05:50 AM »

I think it greatly depends on how much you’re into the older era stuff. For me, I’m a bit burned out on “the Dark Side and beyond” material. It’s been played to death. Whereas I’ve been getting more and more into the pre-Meddle material and especially the Syd-era stuff. So seeing an official member of PF pay tribute to that entire era of the band’s history is a huge treat.  I too saw the show in Seattle, and I’ve always said that if I had a choice between that show and a full PF reunion that ignored anything pre-Dark Side, I’d take NMSFOS every time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: May 29, 2021, 10:41:21 AM »
I thought about hitting that Seattle show. I am not big in to that era of the band. But it looked like they put a ton of heart and care in to that tour, and the same goes for the video release. Those guys breathed life in to those old songs while still staying true to their original vision.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1582 on: May 31, 2021, 07:33:36 PM »
Roger vs Dave,  round 45 678 

https://fb.watch/5RgR38PFym/

It's kind of depressing this drama is still going but at least a new mix of Animals sounds like a cool release.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1583 on: May 31, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
More like Roger vs no one again, since I doubt David will reply to this, meaning it's just a feud being publicly fought by one side. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1584 on: May 31, 2021, 07:41:45 PM »
More like Roger vs no one again, since I doubt David will reply to this, meaning it's just a feud being publicly fought by one side.

True, I love Rog to death but he's always had a big mouth.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: May 31, 2021, 08:51:39 PM »
The dispute was over the goddamn liner notes?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1586 on: May 31, 2021, 08:57:37 PM »
And the funny part is, the liner notes that Roger wanted included were poorly written, but they talked it up like Roger did it all and the others did little, which I am sure is why he wanted them included.  Roger's ego and anger never fails.  :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1587 on: May 31, 2021, 09:52:14 PM »
And maybe I am unaware but is it customary for other bands to let past members post on the band's official Facebook page?

I read that thing twice looking for actual info about an actual new release. All I got was that remixes exist, and there are liner notes. What a pointless "update."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1588 on: May 31, 2021, 10:47:28 PM »
And maybe I am unaware but is it customary for other bands to let past members post on the band's official Facebook page?

I read that thing twice looking for actual info about an actual new release. All I got was that remixes exist, and there are liner notes. What a pointless "update."

That link does not appear on Pink Floyd‘s Facebook page. Which is another point of contention between David and Roger. That link is directly from Roger Waters Facebook page.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #1589 on: June 01, 2021, 12:58:14 AM »

He's moaned about it before when he was promoting something or other, and of course when he did it then he had to have a dig at Gilmour and insult the stuff Gilmour and his family has been doing during the lockdown. Was along the lines of, "Oh you won't let me promote my thing, but you're subjecting us to your horrible family thing."

He's coming across as pathetic.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: June 01, 2021, 01:55:55 AM »
Nice, my 2nd favourite PF album is getting a new mix. It already sounds great though.

And yes, Roger is being Roger as usual. Nothing new under the sun :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1591 on: June 01, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
It's true that the linear notes suggest a much more dominant role for Roger Waters than the others in Animals, but do you need to read these notes to realize this? Isn't it enough, who knows, to listen to the album?

As if I didn't realize it about 25 years ago ...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1592 on: June 01, 2021, 11:00:40 AM »
Why not just tell Roger...

For one, that's the bands page.

And two, your not in the band anymore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1593 on: June 01, 2021, 11:02:03 AM »
the band doesn’t really exist anymore and the page could serve to promote all former members work.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1594 on: June 01, 2021, 11:20:54 AM »
the band doesn’t really exist anymore and the page could serve to promote all former members work.

Since 1994....

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: June 01, 2021, 09:18:51 PM »
How's about a release with just 1 CD? Is that no longer a thing?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: June 02, 2021, 01:13:14 AM »
An update from Roger about this release, and some other stuff. Including the removed liner notes.

https://rogerwaters.com/animals-new-mix-update/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1598 on: June 02, 2021, 05:30:44 AM »
Roger Waters is acting like a child.  Again.  Disappointing, as he appeared to have mellowed out and gotten past venting about this petty nonsense, but a leopard cannot change its spots, I guess.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1599 on: June 04, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »
https://youtu.be/5-gF-tmblA8

Beato takes on Comfortably Numb and is clearly having the time of his life digging deep into what makes this song, a classic rock radio staple that’s been played to death, still work after all these years. 

I thought it was nice that this came out just a few days after the latest petty drama between Roger and Dave to remind us just how good they were at their « peak » (in quotes because that’s entirely subjective)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:39:01 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1600 on: June 04, 2021, 07:24:29 PM »
Unless you are one of those strange peeps out there who thinks the band peaked at the beginning with Syd Barrett, and there are those who think that, it is a pretty much a given that Pink Floyd peaked in the mid to late 70's (Dark Side through The Wall).

Even though I have heard it now 3,311 times, Comfortably Numb is still amazing. It will never get old.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1601 on: June 05, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »
Unless you are one of those strange peeps out there who thinks the band peaked at the beginning with Syd Barrett, and there are those who think that, it is a pretty much a given that Pink Floyd peaked in the mid to late 70's (Dark Side through The Wall).

Even though I have heard it now 3,311 times, Comfortably Numb is still amazing. It will never get old.

I’ve been trying to give Pink Floyd more of a chance lately. I’m still not a big fan, and for whatever reason Roger Waters just rubs me wrong, but I do appreciate the brilliance of David Gilmour. Comfortably Numb is certainly an incredible song with amazing guitar work.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1602 on: June 05, 2021, 05:23:21 PM »
RC: Considers Dave's "On An Island" album an unofficial Pink Floyd album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1603 on: June 05, 2021, 08:12:22 PM »
To me, On an Island and Rattle That Lock sound like what would have been natural follow-ups to The Division Bell, unlike The Endless River, which has stuff I enjoy, but largely sounds like a bunch of leftover material that was pieced together years later.

In other "news," looks like Jon Carin, who worked with Pink Floyd on both tours post-Waters and has toured a lot with both Gilmour and Waters on their solo tours since, is now firmly in the Waters camp and doesn't have nice things to say about Gilmour anymore.  Guess he was seduced by Roger's angst.  :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: June 05, 2021, 09:16:55 PM »
I remember reading a while back there was some issue on tour at some point with David, Jon, and Phil Manzanera. I don't recall what the details were, or even if the article I read when in to them in any depth. I believe they both toured Rattle That Lock with him, but weren't part of the Pompeii show, which struck me as odd when I saw first saw clips on YT. I thought maybe it was just a scheduling or a travel document issue (though I couldn't imagine something like that happening with someone who as been doing this forever like DG).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1605 on: June 05, 2021, 09:19:35 PM »
Yeah, I read about a blurb about how Carin had to leave the tour midstream for some reason, and I guess the events of that and how it happened caused a rift with David.  Oh well. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1606 on: June 05, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »

I don’t necessarily think they “peaked” with Barrett, but I have grown to have quite the affinity for the early years in general and Barrett’s material in particular.

His story is fascinating and I’m hoping to possibly read a biography on him soon.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: June 05, 2021, 11:27:50 PM »
Huh, Phil left too, wonder if there was a correlation. There is a clip I saw a while back where the guys were talking about how family oriented David made the tours, or at least the tour they were on when that clip was filmed. And Jon started playing with David back in DSoT days, so there is a solid history there.

Just found another blurb where Guy Pratt apparently knows what happened but isn't airing the dirty laundry*.

*See, Roger, it's possible, look in to it.

To me, On an Island and Rattle That Lock sound like what would have been natural follow-ups to The Division Bell...

Never really thought about that. It's hard enough for me to connect the dots between AMLoR and TDB. Connecting them further to On An Island and Rattle That Lock would need some further listening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1608 on: June 06, 2021, 06:56:01 AM »

I don’t necessarily think they “peaked” with Barrett, but I have grown to have quite the affinity for the early years in general and Barrett’s material in particular.

His story is fascinating and I’m hoping to possibly read a biography on him soon.

I have what some would call an unusual relationship with the Syd material, as I think most of the early singles (that were included on the box set that came out in the 90's) are quite good (Arnold Layne, Apples and Oranges, Candy and a Currant Bun, Paint Box, etc.), but I think the majority of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is just awful crap. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1609 on: June 06, 2021, 06:58:28 AM »
Huh, Phil left too, wonder if there was a correlation. There is a clip I saw a while back where the guys were talking about how family oriented David made the tours, or at least the tour they were on when that clip was filmed. And Jon started playing with David back in DSoT days, so there is a solid history there.

Just found another blurb where Guy Pratt apparently knows what happened but isn't airing the dirty laundry*.

*See, Roger, it's possible, look in to it.

To me, On an Island and Rattle That Lock sound like what would have been natural follow-ups to The Division Bell...

Never really thought about that. It's hard enough for me to connect the dots between AMLoR and TDB. Connecting them further to On An Island and Rattle That Lock would need some further listening.

:lol at the bolded.

As for the second part of your post, AMLOR was by and large a Gilmour solo album, and even with the others chipping in more, The Division Bell was still very Gilmour-centric, similar to how The Wall is very Roger-centric, so it is easy for me to make the leap and think that On an Island and Rattle That Lock could have easily been Floyd names had David gotten the other two to play on it and called it Pink Floyd.