Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 168974 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1015 on: September 26, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
Dang, I had never heard Mihalis before, but that was pretty freaking great. I'll have to check out the rest of those.  I have my CD of About Face buried somewhere; I'll have to dig it out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1016 on: September 26, 2015, 09:41:13 AM »
Hard to compare to On an Island, just because it's been a while since I've listened to that, but wow is this is a good album!

There are a lot of different flavors here.  A lot to like. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: September 26, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/ex-pink-floyd-guitarist-david-gilmour-on-new-solo-album/
5:38 to 5:42 ---> anybody know where this footage is from? The colored proshot footage, it seems probable it's from The Wall shows but I haven't seen these angles before.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1018 on: September 26, 2015, 10:02:30 PM »
I love that Gilmour is still putting out new music.  While Waters is doing another victory lap with the success of The Wall (first the tour, now this move or whatever it is coming out), Gilmour is still writing and releasing new music. :hat

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: September 26, 2015, 11:24:41 PM »
Waters has been writing a new album for a while now, The Wall tour and documentary movie were actually a new creation in their own right even though there's no new music in them, I'm set to see the documentary movie next Wednesday so I can't really judge yet.
The only thing I have to blame Waters for is not releasing the studio version of What Shall We Do Now with the Immersion box set, I mean there's tons of demos and live stuff in that box set but not the thing I wanted the most.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1020 on: September 27, 2015, 12:48:34 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/ex-pink-floyd-guitarist-david-gilmour-on-new-solo-album/
5:38 to 5:42 ---> anybody know where this footage is from? The colored proshot footage, it seems probable it's from The Wall shows but I haven't seen these angles before.

Wow, I can't place that either. Isn't it from the 1980 Nassau Colosseum footage? Looks like way better quality though.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: September 27, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »
Hard to compare to On an Island, just because it's been a while since I've listened to that, but wow is this is a good album!

There are a lot of different flavors here.  A lot to like.

I love that Gilmour is still putting out new music.  While Waters is doing another victory lap with the success of The Wall (first the tour, now this move or whatever it is coming out), Gilmour is still writing and releasing new music. :hat

Both excellent points, except it's hard to compare to On an Island for me because On an Island is a masterpiece. I've spinned a new Gilmour album a few more times and I definitely like it a lot. 5 A.M. - Rattle That Lock - Faces of Stone is a brilliant opening sequence, and I love David decided to open his shows with it. I really hope they film Royal Albert Hall shows, I would buy a new Gilmour's DVD in a heartbeat.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #1022 on: September 28, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
I have uploaded the show from Oberhausen to my google drive for everyone that would be interested in the recording. I have uploaded  the raw video files and a blu-ray image file that I originally have made for a colleague of mine
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0hkT7WnCoFgZmVjdF9DWllXY1k&usp=sharing

I got the whole show except for 30 seconds during On an Island where I had to change battery

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1023 on: September 29, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »
Been on a Waters/Floyd kick lately after hearing that Waters DVD was going to be in theaters (That's actually tonight, but I decided not to go.)

For some reason, over the last several weeks, I've been listening to one bootleg show from The Wall, Animals (last one from Montreal...the show where Waters supposedly spits on the fan), Wish You Were Here and pre-Dark Side (2/20/72.)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1024 on: September 30, 2015, 05:39:58 AM »
Went to the theater last night to see the movie. It was fantastic. The live concert two years ago was an epiphany, and this was almost just as powerful.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #1025 on: September 30, 2015, 06:34:47 AM »
Went to the theater last night to see the movie. It was fantastic. The live concert two years ago was an epiphany, and this was almost just as powerful.

I also saw it yesterday and it was like being back in the stadiums :) but the many short sequences with Waters driving around in France and Italy ruined it a bit for me. I not need those sequences

And maybe I am imagined it, but it seemed to me that Mother was shorter in the movie. Did we get G. E Smith's solo after Snowy White's solo?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1026 on: September 30, 2015, 06:52:28 AM »
I didn't notice that.

It was apparent to me that some people who just wanted to see the concert would be bothered by some of the in-between scenes. That's why it's a movie, not a concert, I guess.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: September 30, 2015, 07:32:37 AM »
Saw The Wall last night as well, it was amazing; I saw the show back in 2012 and I didn't think the director would be able to capture the size and depth of that show but he came much closer than I would have expected. For some reason I don't remember The Last Few Bricks being played at the show I went to but I guess it must have.
I love Roger Waters, I think he's the greatest musician in recorded music history for his ability to craft songs and arrangements, let alone write the best lyrics there is, however his psychological problems are a bit too hard to overlook, his scenes in this movie were incredibly self indulgent IMO and I think most of these problems are still with him, like in the Q&A with Nick Mason after the movie he was asked if all his walls came down and he answered "some of them".
That Q&A with Waters and Nick Mason at the end of the movie was very interesting, a few things I got out of it:
- Nick Mason is still interested in a tour with Pink Floyd and he's slightly bummed out that Gilmour and Waters are not.
- Neither Mason nor Waters consider Gilmour a friend, not an enemy neither but someone they did their best work with. I found that to be crappy but then again they're British and understandably not very warm by nature.
- On a question to Waters if he had any regrets about his time in Pink Floyd, he said no but Mason looked astonished as if he wanted Waters say something else, I think he wanted him to acknowledge the court conflict was shitty.
- Waters hinted that Gilmour was not excited about The Wall album idea at first, Mason and Wright were. So I take it that means Gilmour might have been leaning towards The Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking.

I look forward to having this on BluRay and sure hoping Waters includes his 1980 The Wall proshot video in the package but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1028 on: September 30, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
Don't bet on The Wall to come to bluray anytime soon... in fact, I've been waiting for a re-release / remastered bluray version since 2008!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: September 30, 2015, 09:00:32 AM »
I actually meant the unreleased proshot concerts of the Pink Floyd tour that Waters has. I wouldn't mind getting a BluRay of the Bob Geldof movie, which I also really like, but the DVD I have feels sufficient enough.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1030 on: September 30, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »

- Neither Mason nor Waters consider Gilmour a friend, not an enemy neither but someone they did their best work with. I found that to be crappy but then again they're British and understandably not very warm by nature.

The Mason/Gilmour thing surprises me.  I thought they were closer.  Was any of it just being coy in front of Waters?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1031 on: September 30, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »
Watching the Q&A it became clear to me as well that Roger still has plenty of stuff to work out. It doesn't mean that he will do it, or that he should do it, he hit a certain age when it doesn't matter anymore. But the fascinating thing about it is that you can have your philosophy, a brilliant mind and a lot of empathy towards certain situations, yet you still have your own issues. He tends to portray himself as imperfect, which is kind of great.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1032 on: September 30, 2015, 10:06:14 AM »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1033 on: September 30, 2015, 10:13:57 AM »
I never got to experience The Wall live, but I went to see the concert film last night and it was amazing. :hefdaddy The non-concert sequences were a little self-indulgent indeed, but not to the point of becoming a distraction. In fact, I thought the beginning and the ending intertwined nicely with the concert.
Watching the Q&A it became clear to me as well that Roger still has plenty of stuff to work out. It doesn't mean that he will do it, or that he should do it, he hit a certain age when it doesn't matter anymore. But the fascinating thing about it is that you can have your philosophy, a brilliant mind and a lot of empathy towards certain situations, yet you still have your own issues. He tends to portray himself as imperfect, which is kind of great.
Well said! :tup
- On a question to Waters if he had any regrets about his time in Pink Floyd, he said no but Mason looked astonished as if he wanted Waters say something else, I think he wanted him to acknowledge the court conflict was shitty.
Yeah, I got that vibe as well. It's weird, because Roger has admitted that he regrets the court case before, but maybe he didn't want to bring up negative stuff from the past again.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: September 30, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »
I have uploaded the show from Oberhausen to my google drive for everyone that would be interested in the recording. I have uploaded  the raw video files and a blu-ray image file that I originally have made for a colleague of mine

I got the whole show except for 30 seconds during On an Island where I had to change battery

Oh wow! That looks awesome, especially since I was there with my old man. Do you have a preview clip? (Before I start downloading the entire thing)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #1035 on: September 30, 2015, 01:13:57 PM »

Oh wow! That looks awesome, especially since I was there with my old man. Do you have a preview clip? (Before I start downloading the entire thing)

In the map Raw files you can view the videos before downloading :)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: September 30, 2015, 01:23:09 PM »
Nice, thanks! Looks and mostly sounds wonderful!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1037 on: September 30, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
- Nick Mason is still interested in a tour with Pink Floyd and he's slightly bummed out that Gilmour and Waters are not.

That doesn't surprise me.  A tour like that would be a major cash cow, and while all due respect to Mason, he was by far the least creative and important member of the band, and I'm sure if I were him, I'd be dying for another huge money-making tour, too. :lol :lol

- Waters hinted that Gilmour was not excited about The Wall album idea at first, Mason and Wright were. So I take it that means Gilmour might have been leaning towards The Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking.

I wouldn't take it that way.  IIRC, from one of the Floyd books I have, Waters presented the idea for both The Wall and Pro and Cons... to the band, and they picked The Wall.  I don't think Gilmour was crazy about either idea, but at the time, The Wall was his preference.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1038 on: September 30, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »
I read something from Gilmour a while back saying that Waters was always the guy pushing concepts and concept albums.  Waters felt very strongly that albums should be cohesive, have unifying themes, musically, lyrically, etc.  That was never a big deal for Gilmour.  He just wanted to do songs.  If Waters figured out some way that they all fit into something larger, cool, but if not, whatever.  So that awesome streak of concept albums from The Dark Side of the Moon through The Wall was all Waters' doing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1039 on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:11 PM »
I don't think it's that cut and dried.  Yes, those albums were pretty much all Waters lyrically, thematically and conceptually, but musically, heck no.  And what good is a great concept without the tunes? 

Without Gilmour, there is no Comfortably Numb.

Without Gilmour, that central musical theme of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, that 4-note guitar lead, is non-existent.

I am not saying Gilmour was all music and Waters all concept, because that would be factually wrong, but I am just saying, to say those four albums were all Waters doing is selling short the contributions of David Gilmour and, to a lesser degree, Richard Wright (on Dark Side and WYWH).

Ya know? :)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: October 01, 2015, 01:32:32 AM »
Totally. It was still all a band effort. (Well, all except for The Final Cut  :lol )

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1041 on: October 01, 2015, 03:35:54 AM »
I've never thought of Gilmour as a particularly creative or original songwriter, which is probably why I don't like the last few Floyd albums that much. Yes, he could come up with a great guitar lead, but I don't think he would know what to do with it next. It was Waters who utilized his ideas, turned them into highly conceptual atmospheric epics, added profound and chilly lyrics and made them what they were.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1042 on: October 01, 2015, 07:33:09 AM »
^^^  I think that is oversimplifying things by a long shot.    I'm a firm believer in the "clubhouse" (for you sports fans) or the chemistry of bands.   Nothing that Waters did on his own tells me that Waters is any more or less "creative" or "original" a songwriter, and it's not like his solo work is chock full of "highly conceptual atmospheric epics".  I think "creative tension" is a thing for a reason, and I think guys like Gilmour and Waters (and you can put Jagger/Richards here, Tyler/Perry, Simmons/Stanley, Lennon/McCartney and a host of others too) would be loathe to admit it, but are better with each other than without.  Not at all saying that it is impossible to make good music without the other - or that a person can't have creative tension with more than one person - but the "transcendence" is in part a product of the tension between the two. 

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #1043 on: October 01, 2015, 09:18:43 AM »
Let's be brutally honest here and say that neither of Gilmour's or Waters solo output has hardly set the world on fire has it? Four Gilmour studio albums,and three from Waters and yes they're good solid efforts,but did they have the WOW! factor? Gilmour and Waters as a writing team were one of the best and worked well together,but split them up,and they haven't been that prolific as solo artists.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1044 on: October 01, 2015, 11:47:06 AM »
I don't think it's that cut and dried.  Yes, those albums were pretty much all Waters lyrically, thematically and conceptually, but musically, heck no.  And what good is a great concept without the tunes? 

Without Gilmour, there is no Comfortably Numb.

Without Gilmour, that central musical theme of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, that 4-note guitar lead, is non-existent.

I am not saying Gilmour was all music and Waters all concept, because that would be factually wrong, but I am just saying, to say those four albums were all Waters doing is selling short the contributions of David Gilmour and, to a lesser degree, Richard Wright (on Dark Side and WYWH).

Ya know? :)

Okay, I didn't phrase that very well.  I just meant that the fact that those albums were all concept albums was because of Waters pushing to make them that way.  Of course he didn't write all the music.  I thought that that was well known.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: October 01, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »
^^^  I think that is oversimplifying things by a long shot.    I'm a firm believer in the "clubhouse" (for you sports fans) or the chemistry of bands.   Nothing that Waters did on his own tells me that Waters is any more or less "creative" or "original" a songwriter, and it's not like his solo work is chock full of "highly conceptual atmospheric epics".  I think "creative tension" is a thing for a reason, and I think guys like Gilmour and Waters (and you can put Jagger/Richards here, Tyler/Perry, Simmons/Stanley, Lennon/McCartney and a host of others too) would be loathe to admit it, but are better with each other than without.  Not at all saying that it is impossible to make good music without the other - or that a person can't have creative tension with more than one person - but the "transcendence" is in part a product of the tension between the two. 

I totally agree with that, I would add that I think Waters/Gilmour's outcome is the best of all aforementioned duos, possibly the best ever.
I think one man's vision kinda bands eventually end up being boring no matter how much of a genius that man is, I can think of Megadeth and Porcupine Tree as two prime examples of bands I lost interest in probably because of that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1046 on: October 01, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
While I agree that Gilmour and Waters were better together, since they brought out the best in one another, even if they were often not getting along, I totally disagree that Gilmour hasn't been good without him.  Maybe The Division Bell, On an Island and Rattle That Lock don't have the WOW factors of Dark Side or WYWH, but they are all, IMO, really good albums that prove Gilmour can write songs extremely well without Roger Waters. 

And while Waters' batting average post-The Wall is pretty low, Amused to Death was still pretty freaking great.

Okay, I didn't phrase that very well.  I just meant that the fact that those albums were all concept albums was because of Waters pushing to make them that way.  Of course he didn't write all the music.  I thought that that was well known.

It's all good.  :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1047 on: October 03, 2015, 07:29:39 AM »
So, for those listening, what are your favorites from Rattle That Lock so far?  If I had to pick three, I'd say:

In Any Tongue
A Boat Lies Waiting (love the vibe)
Today

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: October 03, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
Faces of Stone (by a long, long shot. This song is just  :hefdaddy )
And Then...
Rattle That Lock

But actually I adore the whole album except for Today. This particular song does nothing for me, but the rest of the album is nothing short of amazing. I was apprehensive towards The Girl In The Yellow Dress at first, but I've got to say, Gilmour got this short venture into blues territory just right.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: October 03, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »
A Boat Lies Waiting is one of the most beautiful songs David has ever written. I really really love that song. The weird arrangement and form makes it very unpredictable the first couple of listens. And I try to not listen to it too often to keep it fresh.