Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 169984 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #980 on: September 06, 2015, 02:02:13 AM »
Another song from David's upcoming solo album is released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gj7nvWjqt0
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #981 on: September 06, 2015, 04:32:34 AM »
Very poppy. Not that I was expecting otherwise for the first two songs to be released. But somehow I hope that these two will be the only poppy upbeat songs on this album. I love On An Island's melancholy, I miss that in the first two singles.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: September 06, 2015, 04:36:02 AM »
Very poppy. Not that I was expecting otherwise for the first two songs to be released. But somehow I hope that these two will be the only poppy upbeat songs on this album. I love On An Island's melancholy, I miss that in the first two singles.

I agree completely. Rattle That Lock (the track) was good, but I'm really not sold on Today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #983 on: September 06, 2015, 06:23:11 AM »
After the intro of Today, I did not expect the rest of the song to go the way it did. I like it though. Rattle That Lock is half on my radar of stuff to get. Like, I'm not desperate to get my copy immediately on release day, but I may get it further down the line.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #984 on: September 06, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
How in the world is that song poppy?  Upbeat and not melancholy = poppy??

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: September 06, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »
How in the world is that song poppy?  Upbeat and not melancholy = poppy??

I never said that...
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #986 on: September 06, 2015, 11:51:53 AM »
That's what I posed that as a question? ;)

You did say it was poppy, though.  How exactly is that song poppy?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: September 06, 2015, 12:59:07 PM »
I haven't heard the second song but the first one certainly has an 80's mainstream rock/pop vibe, feels like something out of the Back to The Future soundtrack, I think it would also flow naturally with MLoR songs.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #988 on: September 06, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
This song I like. It has a weird laidback but upbeat vibe. I like the harmonies.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #989 on: September 07, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »
Faces Of Stone and In Any Tongue are fantastic songs! :o
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:02 AM »
Does anybody know if "gig" in The Great Gin in The Sky means "job" or "concert"?

I suspect this is the great unhad debate in PF fandom – in nearly 40 years, you're the first person who cared enough to ask!  :rollin

That's seriously a great honor  :lol

From the point of view of a musician, a gig, job, and concert are all pretty much the same thing.  You play and you get paid.  A gig's a gig.

Yeah but I was wondering within the context of the album's themes, if gig means job then does the great gig in the sky refer to divinity? if it means concert then what could it mean in that context? Of course it could be just a title without any profound intent but I doubt it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #991 on: September 17, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »
One of the album's themes is death, and the voiceovers at the beginning of the track speak of dying, and whether or not it makes sense to fear dying.  When a musician dies, he goes to the great gig in the sky.  So it references the afterlife, and if that implies the existence of a divinity to you, then yes.  I guess I still don't understand the dichotomy.  A gig's a gig.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #992 on: September 17, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
Does anybody know if "gig" in The Great Gin in The Sky means "job" or "concert"?

I suspect this is the great unhad debate in PF fandom – in nearly 40 years, you're the first person who cared enough to ask!  :rollin

That's seriously a great honor  :lol

From the point of view of a musician, a gig, job, and concert are all pretty much the same thing.  You play and you get paid.  A gig's a gig.

Yeah but I was wondering within the context of the album's themes, if gig means job then does the great gig in the sky refer to divinity? if it means concert then what could it mean in that context? Of course it could be just a title without any profound intent but I doubt it.

I don't think it matters for that context, though.   The song is about dying and death (from Roger Waters himself, backed up by the writer Rick Wright) and it's sort of an expression when someone passes, they went to that "great [whatever they did for a living/for fun/whatever is appropriate] in the sky".   Mickey Mantle went to that great ballpark in the sky.  If someone here was to pass, they would be said to go to the "great forum in the sky".   Here, it's a reference to passing to the great beyond, wherever and whatever that may be for you.

Edit:  DAMMIT.  Orbert beat me to the punch. 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: September 17, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
Seeing Gilmour in two days, can't wait! Trying hard to resist looking up the setlist. As well as the album comes out tomorrow. I think I'll wait and listen to the stuff for the first time in a live setting.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: September 17, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
One of the album's themes is death, and the voiceovers at the beginning of the track speak of dying, and whether or not it makes sense to fear dying.  When a musician dies, he goes to the great gig in the sky.  So it references the afterlife, and if that implies the existence of a divinity to you, then yes.  I guess I still don't understand the dichotomy.  A gig's a gig.

Waiting tables is a gig as well, that's the dichotomy, I wasn't necessarily connecting the title as a reference to the musician himself but what you said about that makes sense, I'll take it  :corn

Seeing Gilmour in two days, can't wait! Trying hard to resist looking up the setlist. As well as the album comes out tomorrow. I think I'll wait and listen to the stuff for the first time in a live setting.

Lucky mofo, enjoy!  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #995 on: September 17, 2015, 02:43:26 PM »
Nice!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #996 on: September 17, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »

Waiting tables is a gig as well, that's the dichotomy, I wasn't necessarily connecting the title as a reference to the musician himself but what you said about that makes sense, I'll take it  :corn

Okay, now I see.  As a musician, it never occurred to me that there was any other context.  But remember that waiting tables, or any other non-music-related job called a "gig", is only called that because the term has been repurposed.  "Gig" is short for "engagement".  Originally, a gig was a musical engagement, an agreement to perform at a certain time, in a certain place, for a certain amount of money.  Musicians would love to make some money for their efforts, of course, but most of us just like to play and will pretty much play anywhere someone is willing to pay, thus the expression "a gig's a gig".  You take what you can get.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: September 17, 2015, 04:18:05 PM »
Interesting! I didn't know gig was short for engagement and that it originally meant concert before turning to the broader "job" meaning, thanks Orbert!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: September 18, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
Nice!

It's always been my goal to see David Gilmour in my lifetime because I was too young to see PF during PULSE and didn't catch him on his last tour. I think I may just bite the bullet and get some Madison Square Garden tickets at $300 a pop, that's only a bit more than what I spent to see Roger Waters.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: September 18, 2015, 07:28:10 AM »
Has anyone heard Rattle That Lock yet? It's released today.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: September 18, 2015, 07:30:52 AM »
Has anyone heard Rattle That Lock yet? It's released today.

Bought the deluxe edition today in local Rotterdam record store, will probably give it a listen today after The Theater Equation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1001 on: September 18, 2015, 07:57:57 AM »
It's always been my goal to see David Gilmour in my lifetime
It is my goal to see David Gilmour beyond my lifetime.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: September 18, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
I'm one listen in and I really like this album with the exception of Today, weakest song for me. Faces of Stone is absolutely wonderful though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1003 on: September 18, 2015, 09:45:46 PM »
I'll have to pick this up tomorrow. The samples online sound very nice. :hat

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1004 on: September 19, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
I'm liking Rattle that Lock more than On An Island. My favorite track so far is "In Any Tounge". That solo is just  :o :o :o :o :eek :eek :eek

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1005 on: September 19, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
I just had my firsten listen on Spotify. What an album. The Girl in the Yellow Dress is just  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1006 on: September 19, 2015, 10:02:28 PM »
Rattle is good. Great even. But it can't touch On An Island. ESPECIALLY the Gdansk version :hefdaddy
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: September 20, 2015, 05:20:04 AM »
POSSIBLE SPOILERS (SETLIST ETC)

What a special night it was. Sure he's getting older, sure his head thinks of guitar solo's his fingers just can't play anymore, but when he starts to play Astronomy Domine, you just realize that it's the same David Gilmour that has been playing that for about 50 years. It's crazy to think that he wrote Fat Old Sun all those years ago, and he is still standing there, playing all those beautiful songs. The lighting was great too, Us And Them was really lifted like never before by the beautiful arrangement, and the wonderful lights.
The new songs were good too, I listened to the album on the way back and I'm really liking this stuff. I don't think it will ever touch On An Island for me, but I like the differences in tempo and feel throughout the album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1008 on: September 23, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »
Finally got this and listened today on the way to and from work.  Sounded nice, but I'll be surprised if I love this as much as On as Island.  Still, for Gilmour to be giving us anything at this juncture is a real treat. :hat

Set list looks great, of course.  This being the first tour he has done since Richard Wright's death, I think it would be neat for him to play Summer '68, with Jon Carin handling lead vocals, as sort of a tribute to his deceased friend and bandmate. That song, if I am not mistaken, has never been performed live by any Floyd member, and it's such a good song.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #1009 on: September 23, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
POSSIBLE SPOILERS (SETLIST ETC)

What a special night it was. Sure he's getting older, sure his head thinks of guitar solo's his fingers just can't play anymore, but when he starts to play Astronomy Domine, you just realize that it's the same David Gilmour that has been playing that for about 50 years. It's crazy to think that he wrote Fat Old Sun all those years ago, and he is still standing there, playing all those beautiful songs. The lighting was great too, Us And Them was really lifted like never before by the beautiful arrangement, and the wonderful lights.
The new songs were good too, I listened to the album on the way back and I'm really liking this stuff. I don't think it will ever touch On An Island for me, but I like the differences in tempo and feel throughout the album.

I agree. I saw him in Oberhausen. Astronomy Domine and Fat Old Sun has always been some mine alltime faves and to hear them live was the highlight of the night. The new songs he played was also good I liked especially Faces of Stone.
One thing I dont understand is why does he not play songs from his two first albums? There so many great songs on them
 I can't wait till he comes back to Europe next year :metal :metal

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: September 24, 2015, 02:12:29 AM »
Got a new amplifier, and a new CD player, used my studio headphones and listened to the 2.0 lossless mix on the Blu Ray of the new album. Man that record shines! I still have to admit that all the mellow songs stand out the best to me, my favorite would be A Boat Lies Waiting. I read that for the London shows Crosby and Nash sang backing vocals on that track. That will be awesome to see on the live release.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1011 on: September 24, 2015, 07:31:03 AM »
Picked it up, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1012 on: September 24, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »

One thing I dont understand is why does he not play songs from his two first albums? 

If nothing else, he should play Murder, which is a terrific song, and one that got quite a bit of play on the radio at the time (from what older friends have told me :lol).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1013 on: September 25, 2015, 10:32:51 PM »
In Any Tongue is one helluva tune. :hat

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #1014 on: September 26, 2015, 02:30:48 AM »

One thing I dont understand is why does he not play songs from his two first albums? 

If nothing else, he should play Murder, which is a terrific song, and one that got quite a bit of play on the radio at the time (from what older friends have told me :lol).
Yes Murder is a great one and so are songs like
I can´t Breathe Anymore
So Far Away
Until We Sleep
All Lovers Are Deranged
Near the End
And I absolutly love the 2 instrumentals Mihalis and Let's Get Metaphysical from his 2 first albums