Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 165373 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #875 on: September 23, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
Sounds like Marooned
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #876 on: September 23, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »
The snippet doesn't work for me. The video plays, but there is no audio to it. What is more annoying is that the TV commercial thing works fine. >:(

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #877 on: September 23, 2014, 11:52:17 PM »
Click on the play button on the left with Audio?
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #878 on: September 23, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »
Click on the play button on the left with Audio?
:facepalm:

I thought that arrow was just indicating that I was in the audio section, and that the video there was supposed to be the audio snippet.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #879 on: September 24, 2014, 12:03:33 AM »
Yeah I was stumped for a while there because common sense would mean the video would have the audio, but nope.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #880 on: September 24, 2014, 12:30:23 AM »
I dig the album art. If the snippet (which I did quite enjoy) is any indication, it seems to fit the music pretty well.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:06 AM »
Another snippet from The Endless River. Not really impressed, but my expectations weren't high so it's alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUm7viV9oc

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #882 on: September 26, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »
Another snippet from The Endless River. Not really impressed, but my expectations weren't high so it's alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUm7viV9oc

That was alright. The strings in the background totally could've been higher in the mix. I'll approach this album with zero expectations, just to be safe.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #883 on: September 26, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »
I enjoyed the preview on their site more than this one. I'm not going into this album with extraordinarily high expectations either. I feel too many people are expecting another Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here, and to be honest, I feel sorry for them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #884 on: September 26, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
I'm looking forward to this one.   :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #885 on: September 26, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
Me too.  I'm fine with there being a lot of instrumentals.  In fact, I'd rather have instrumentals than non-Floyd people singing.  I love Graham Nash and some of the others listed, but hearing their voices would take me out of the Floyd immersion.  It would emphasize that this is stuff put together afterwards, rather than tracks put together by Pink Floyd in pieces posthumously, kinda like the Beatles posthumous songs.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: September 26, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
^ This man is correct.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: October 03, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
Third sample from The Endless River:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQocDfdtBco

More upbeat this time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #888 on: October 03, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
Definitely. Hard to judge from a 30 second bit, but I dig.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #889 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
I'm gonna listen the shit out of this album, and I know I'm gonna love it  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #890 on: October 03, 2014, 10:35:06 PM »
What I love about these samples so far is that they actually remind me of early Porcupine Tree...which I understand was itself an homage to Floyd...but still.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #891 on: October 09, 2014, 07:24:42 AM »
Good interview:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0288yhn

Props to Gilmour for being candid and honest, yet classy, about why they cannot work with Roger Waters anymore.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:44 AM »
Here's Louder Than Words, the new song I've found on facebook thanks to RJ

https://vid.me/NCt

I think it's alright, I can totally see it being on Gilmour solo album. Wasn't too impressed by the first three minutes, but the solo is nice.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #893 on: October 09, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »
Here's Louder Than Words, the new song I've found on facebook thanks to RJ

https://vid.me/NCt

I think it's alright, I can totally see it being on Gilmour solo album. Wasn't too impressed by the first three minutes, but the solo is nice.

I'm enjoying it myself, though I'll always associate High Hopes as being the final Pink Floyd song. I'm treating this and the rest of the upcoming album as a post-mortem release, as it were.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #894 on: October 09, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Same here.  To me, this is like their Made in Heaven (Queen's previously-unfinished songs that they released after Freddie Mercury's death).

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #895 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
Same here.  To me, this is like their Made in Heaven (Queen's previously-unfinished songs that they released after Freddie Mercury's death).

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking of. Speaking of which, isn't Queen in the process of making another album from unfinished songs with Freddie? I could've sword I heard about that awhile back.

Still, I'm interested in seeing how The Endless River turns out.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #896 on: October 09, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »
Louder than words was love at first listen. Doesn't feels like an outtake of the division bell at all.
I need this record so much. I have never though I would see a "new" Pink Floyd record and this is like... like... i don't fucking now.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #897 on: October 09, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking of. Speaking of which, isn't Queen in the process of making another album from unfinished songs with Freddie? I could've sword I heard about that awhile back.

It's called Queen Forever and all it amounts to is three new songs and the rest is just a compilation. Comes out next month I think. They hyped it up as another Made In Heaven type of deal and when the actual announcement happened a lot of people were underwhelmed because of that.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: October 29, 2014, 03:48:25 AM »
Apparently, David Gilmour plans to release his new solo album in 2015 and do a small tour in support of it.

https://www.prog-sphere.com/news/david-gilmour-new-solo-album-scheduled-for-2015/

Offline masterthes

« Reply #899 on: November 05, 2014, 08:51:44 AM »
Any new updates?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #901 on: November 05, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »
New track here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/pink_floyd_unveil_new_track_allons-y_1.html

Eh, that was alright. I'm sure it sounds a LOT better in context to the whole album, but even if that's the case, why sample out an interlude? Heck, I've heard better Pink Floyd interludes on Porcupine Tree albums! Ah well, I'll reserve full judgement until I've heard the whole album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #902 on: November 09, 2014, 05:57:22 AM »
Although the album doesn't official hit in the UK and US until tomorrow and Tuesday respectively, it's been out since yesterday in Germany. Anyone listen to this album yet? I've given it a soft-listen, while at work doing a bunch of things, but it sounds like Floyd. I can't really say much else until I have given it a hard-listen with headphones at home.

I can't say that it'll be a GREAT PF album, but it's a suitable epilogue coming after the epic climax that was The Division Bell. And it's an epilogue that is not consequential to the overall "story" that is Pink Floyd, but it doesn't necessarily hurt it either.

-Marc.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #903 on: November 09, 2014, 07:01:32 AM »
My shower thought was, "This isn't the grand climax, this is the swansong for the band." So far, what I've heard, I've enjoyed it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #904 on: November 09, 2014, 08:05:46 AM »
I listened to it on Spotify today... Not bad and you can hear lots of traces of classic Floyd albums like Wish You Were Here, but not exactly mindblowing either. I guess it's a nice epilogue for the band's story and career.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #905 on: November 09, 2014, 08:12:54 AM »
I listened to it on Spotify today... Not bad and you can hear lots of traces of classic Floyd albums like Wish You Were Here, but not exactly mindblowing either. I guess it's a nice epilogue for the band's story and career.
Agreed.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #906 on: November 09, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
This album is certainly helped by having a good knowledge of the other albums because there are sounds from Wright's keyboards that remind me of songs. (Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Echoes come to mind.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #907 on: November 09, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »
After a couple listens in, I have to say that I am enjoying this quite a bit.  I was admittedly a bit pessimistic about it going in, but, while some of the short songs sound like bits that could have been fleshed out more into full length tracks, as a whole, this is pretty darn good.

And it has to be said: anyone resorting to the "Yeah, but it doesn't have Roger Waters" line or any nonsense like that, needs to get the hell over it.  Waters hasn't been a member of the band in nearly 30 YEARS, and to even mention Waters when reviewing the record completely misses the point of the record, which was clearly released as a tribute to Richard Wright.  Considering the way he spoke of Wright for a long time after leaving the band, Roger Waters didn't deserve to be on a Pink Floyd record that was a tribute to him.  So yeah, there it is.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #908 on: November 09, 2014, 11:00:59 AM »
And it has to be said: anyone resorting to the "Yeah, but it doesn't have Roger Waters" line or any nonsense like that, needs to get the hell over it.  Waters hasn't been a member of the band in nearly 30 YEARS, and to even mention Waters when reviewing the record completely misses the point of the record, which was clearly released as a tribute to Richard Wright.  Considering the way he spoke of Wright for a long time after leaving the band, Roger Waters didn't deserve to be on a Pink Floyd record that was a tribute to him.  So yeah, there it is.

All of this.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #909 on: November 09, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
I actually love it to bits, because it's precisely what I thought it would be: a quieter, mainly instrumental and ambient album that serves as the coda to the band's career and a tribute to Rick Wright. It knocks that out of the park and exceeded my expectations for it. The only part that is really lacking to me is actually Louder Than Words, which is kind of just there for me. The instrumentals are amazing.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.