Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 169946 times)

Offline adace

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #805 on: May 22, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: June 10, 2014, 09:46:44 AM »
I don't know if you guys have already seen this video, but it's behind the scenes with Roger, Dave, and Nick from Rogers' show at the O2 Arena in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0T7FRKTj00

I got chills during the Comfortably Numb solo...
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #807 on: July 06, 2014, 07:24:49 AM »
Polly Samson on Twitter:
Btw Pink Floyd album out in October is called "The Endless River". Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful.

(Polly Samson's Twitter (source))

WHUT?  :omg:

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #808 on: July 06, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »
I heard about that. Not sure if epic troll or epic amazing.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: July 06, 2014, 08:29:44 AM »
I'm going to hope for epic amazing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #810 on: July 06, 2014, 08:32:58 AM »
Hmmmm, we'll see what becomes of this...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #811 on: July 06, 2014, 08:38:08 AM »
Well, in the year of 2014, who knew we'd be getting new Pink Floyd? Oh wait...we also have new King Crimson and new Yes as well. What is this, 40 years ago?! :rollin

Seriously though, I won't have my expectations high or this one, but I'll definitely get it, no doubt, whether Roger Waters is involved or not or if it's just another Gilmour-led Mason and Wright album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Mladen

« Reply #812 on: July 06, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
I'm not really a fan of Floyd without Waters, so my interest in this is pretty minimal. Of course, I'll still give it a listen.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #813 on: July 06, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
There is part of me saying, based on what I've read talking about how Wright is involved in it, "don't get too excited, it's probably a few songs that Wright worked on back around Division Bell finished by Gilmour and Mason and maybe a few other songs written since then."

The rest of me is bouncing madly like a kid going "PINK FUCKING FLOYD!"  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #814 on: July 06, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
That is kind of my thought as well.  I mean, yeah, it's Pink Floyd, but if it is mostly songs that weren't good enough to make The Division Bell (an album I have never hidden my love for), its upside is limited, but perhaps they are rewriting and reworking them a bit around Wright's pre-existing keyboard parts, and it's not like they couldn't have Jon Carin come in and add any new keyboard parts that are needed. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #815 on: July 06, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
It would be cool if Waters appeared as a guest on the album, or had any credits at all. I mean, I know they have had big fights over the years, and they might still not be the best of friends, and they seem to have giant egos. But, it's one thing to split up in their 30's-40's over creative differences and where to take a band, and to just swallow their pride/stubbornness in their 60's/70's and just make something together. I doubt this new album means anything more than a final send off for Pink Floyd, and the chances of a new PF touring again are slim at best, so it would kinda be nice if Waters did appear on the album. I think the classic Pink Floyd lineup with both Gilmour/Waters is what most people really love.

I think egos will prevent that from happening though. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #816 on: July 06, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »
I'll look at this like Queen's "Made In Heaven".  Which I liked.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: July 06, 2014, 10:24:22 AM »
https://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/pink-floyd-to-release-new-album-the-endless-river-in-october/

Singer Durga McBroom-Hudson, who toured with Pink Floyd throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, revealed further details on her Facebook page. “The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled ‘The Big Spliff’ that [Pink Floyd drummer] Nick Mason spoke about),” she explained. “Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That’s the song you see being worked on in the photo.” She also added that the album consists entirely of “unreleased songs.”
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #818 on: July 06, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »
It would be cool if Waters appeared as a guest on the album, or had any credits at all. I mean, I know they have had big fights over the years, and they might still not be the best of friends, and they seem to have giant egos. But, it's one thing to split up in their 30's-40's over creative differences and where to take a band, and to just swallow their pride/stubbornness in their 60's/70's and just make something together. I doubt this new album means anything more than a final send off for Pink Floyd, and the chances of a new PF touring again are slim at best, so it would kinda be nice if Waters did appear on the album. I think the classic Pink Floyd lineup with both Gilmour/Waters is what most people really love.

I think egos will prevent that from happening though.
Yeah, I agree that ending their recording career with an album featuring all the four members of the classic line-up would be cool, but it looks like this is just a Gilmour/Mason project with some stuff Wright recorded before his death. I'll check this out despite Waters' absence, out of curiosity, and now I have another reason to get familiar with the post-Wall records (one being that I have a ticket to a Brit Floyd concert in October).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #819 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
I could see them finding some space for some Waters' vocals or something like that, although who knows if Waters would be keen on contributing considering some of the lyrics from the album these sessions came from were fairly critical of him (Lost for Words, the 2nd verse of Poles Apart, etc.).

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #820 on: July 06, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
I'm incredibly excited for the album, but at the same time, I'm also a bit disappointed that this means that "High Hopes" is no longer the final song in Pink Floyd's material. It's one of my all-time favorite songs ever and almost definitely my personal favorite Floyd song ever. It was the perfect send-off to an incredible band.

Either way, still psyched for the new album! :hat
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #821 on: July 06, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »
I'm incredibly excited for the album, but at the same time, I'm also a bit disappointed that this means that "High Hopes" is no longer the final song in Pink Floyd's material. It's one of my all-time favorite songs ever and almost definitely my personal favorite Floyd song ever. It was the perfect send-off to an incredible band.

Either way, still psyched for the new album! :hat
Pretty much this!

Offline adace

« Reply #822 on: July 06, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »
Disappointed that Roger won't be on it but I'm still excited as hell for it, maybe even more than the new Opeth album!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #823 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »
Disappointed that Roger won't be on it but I'm still excited as hell for it, maybe even more than the new Opeth album!

Now that you mention Opeth, I can see the new Pink Floyd album taking a lot of Top Spots in next year's DPRPoll, and other Best-Of-2014 lists/polls later this year into next year. All other band's works will be over-shadowed, I'm sure, unless the new King Crimson album knocks it out of the park. I can see the reunited KC being a huge event with a new album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #824 on: July 06, 2014, 08:11:17 PM »
Do we know if King Crimson is actually putting out a new album this year? All I know is that a small sample of new music was released the other day. It might not come out until next year or something.

Still, Pink Floyd will almost definitely be topping a lot of Album of the Year lists.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #825 on: July 06, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »
Do we know if King Crimson is actually putting out a new album this year? All I know is that a small sample of new music was released the other day. It might not come out until next year or something.

Still, Pink Floyd will almost definitely be topping a lot of Album of the Year lists.

I feel like if they're releasing bits of new music, they've already recorded stuff. It might not be the final mixes or even be close to mastered, but it's only July, and I'm sure they could pump out the album before year's end. I mean, it's been over a decade since the last new KC album. I think they'd want it out ASAP, especially with the group going on tour.

The question will be, will Mason and Gilmour go out on tour for their new album?

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #826 on: July 06, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »

How do we know that Waters won't be on it? 

The more I think about it, the more I think they will find a way to get him on it, even if it's just a few vocal sections or something.  My initial thought was otherwise, but I could see them wanting to go out with this final album with all four from the classic lineup on it.  It would be very fitting. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #827 on: July 06, 2014, 11:45:28 PM »
I don't think Roger Waters could contribute to a Pink Floyd album without trying to take over the whole thing and dominate the songwriting. I'm no fan of The Final Cut, so I'd actually be happier if he had nothing to do with a new album. :lol Though I don't have high hopes anyway since this album appears to be comprised of leftovers from another album, and one of the contributing artists died several years ago.

Their best stuff was the collaborative efforts between the members, Waters included, but I'm not convinced that they are even capable of working together like that anymore.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #828 on: July 07, 2014, 01:22:01 AM »
I can't think of a single reason why Roger would be involved or why anyone would think he might.
He hasn't been involved with anything PF (bar Live 8) band related for close to 30 years, so why would Gilmour/Mason want or need to involve him?
Plus he was the one who sacked Rick from the band.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #829 on: July 07, 2014, 07:42:38 AM »
Portnoy is already bitching about this. I was wondering how long it will take. He just can't shut the fuck up.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #830 on: July 07, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »

How do we know that Waters won't be on it? 

The more I think about it, the more I think they will find a way to get him on it, even if it's just a few vocal sections or something.  My initial thought was otherwise, but I could see them wanting to go out with this final album with all four from the classic lineup on it.  It would be very fitting.

Take this with a grain of salt...

According to information coming from Dan Wootton (The Sun) and Durga McBroom, Roger Waters will not be involved in the project.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_River

Durga McBroom is doing background vocals on the album, so I would presume she would know who is and isn't involved with the album.

I think it would be pretty Earth-shattering if Roger was on the album, and it would definitely push sales up through the stratosphere, and fans who are dreading a Division Bell-leftovers album would feel a bit better about it, I'm sure. I think an infusion of Waters ideas and performance would be great, but as it stands, this is just looking like TDB-Part 2, to me. I think having Roger would be great, and a great way to really finish the career of Pink Floyd, and definitely call it a day after this album. Depending on how it sounds, this album could just be the final flash of glory before the spark finally dies, especially since it has been on a low sizzle for 20 years.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #831 on: July 07, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »
Well, if that is correct, then my initial instinct was the right one. :lol :facepalm:

I think it'd be cool if Waters was involved in some fashion, but if he's not, no big deal to me, and I have the utmost faith in Gilmour to make sure this is good instead of just a "hey, let's release some stuff we have laying around" cash grab.  That was never his or their style, and I don't see it being that now.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #832 on: July 07, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »
I'm not sure what to think. Sounds like the songs are leftovers from 20 years ago, if they were really great they wouldn't be leftovers and they would not lie dormant for 20 years. On the other hand it's f*cking Pink Floyd, so I'm a little bit excited. Oh and I'm sure that Roger Waters has nothing to do with this record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #833 on: July 07, 2014, 08:45:08 AM »
The fact that some of the ideas might be from 20 years ago and did not make The Division Bell does not necessarily = the songs did not make the cut because they were bad or worse than the songs on that album. It is possible that that is the case, but it is also possible that songs were cut because they did not fit the overall vibe or feeling of the album, made the album too lengthy, they couldn't find a right placement or order on the album, etc.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #834 on: July 07, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »
Yeah I hope that the latter will be the case but I don't hold my breath for it
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #835 on: July 07, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
Actually, from the sound of things, these songs were supposed to be for a different project that they were working on at the same time as The Division Bell. It just never got finished until now, it seems.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #836 on: July 07, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »
I'm not sure what to think. Sounds like the songs are leftovers from 20 years ago, if they were really great they wouldn't be leftovers and they would not lie dormant for 20 years. On the other hand it's f*cking Pink Floyd, so I'm a little bit excited. Oh and I'm sure that Roger Waters has nothing to do with this record.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #837 on: July 07, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #838 on: July 07, 2014, 11:40:38 PM »
If its songs from TDB, then The Endless River is a great title, it fits.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #839 on: July 07, 2014, 11:48:20 PM »
From their FB page earlier today:

Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.