Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 168952 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #770 on: December 07, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »
Capital Cities did a cover of "Breathe" which also features Tupac Shakur, of all people.
https://soundcloud.com/capital-cities/capital-cities-ft-tupac-shakur

Offline NotePad

« Reply #771 on: December 08, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »
Surprised to see so many votes for Animals. Not an albums I'd expect to be so many peoples' favorites. It's the only album by them I own by them other then The Wall. Love Animals way more.

And to be honest, the main reason I got into Animals and bought it was because I saw remember reading an interview with Adam Jones from Tool, and when asked he said Animals was his favorite PF album ;) Figured if this amazing an unique musician likes it the most, I gotta check it out. (i think Jones is one of the best guitarists out there, cuz he's not like the others. He focuses on creating a more textured sound with ambience an all that. Pretty much the opposite of Petrucci, who is a technical master)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: December 08, 2013, 06:20:02 AM »
Surprised to see so many votes for Animals. Not an albums I'd expect to be so many peoples' favorites. It's the only album by them I own by them other then The Wall. Love Animals way more.

Oh come on, get WYWH. It's so amazing.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #773 on: December 08, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »

And to be honest, the main reason I got into Animals and bought it was because I saw remember reading an interview with Adam Jones from Tool, and when asked he said Animals was his favorite PF album ;) Figured if this amazing an unique musician likes it the most, I gotta check it out. (i think Jones is one of the best guitarists out there, cuz he's not like the others. He focuses on creating a more textured sound with ambience an all that. Pretty much the opposite of Petrucci, who is a technical master)

Listen to Meddle and A Saucerful of Secrets, those are the best at guitar ambience.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #774 on: December 08, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
Animals, Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon  :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #775 on: December 08, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »
Same here though, on the strength of Echoes alone (my Floyd fave), I almost made Meddle my third option.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #776 on: December 08, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
I like Meddle a lot.  It's definitely my Number 4, behind the "big three" of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.  The sad thing is that you can only pick three, and it's pretty much a given that The Wall will grab a lot of votes as well, so Meddle ends up with a pretty poor showing.

I find it interesting, and somehow encouraging, that The Wall is not one of the top three vote-getters.  It's obviously quite popular, but it's the least prog of the 70's albums, and this is (mostly) a prog board, after all.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #777 on: December 08, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
I just have a tough time believing Ummagumma would get any votes at all.

Yes, I get that tastes vary, and that different fans will give it a different placing on the "top to bottom" Pink Floyd list.    But with the depth of PF's catalog, and the amazing albums to choose from...the idea that ANYONE would put Ummagumma as a *top 3* album is just baffling to me. 

The more interesting poll would be "top 3 pre-DSOTM" discs.    I'm betting Meddle would win that in a route.     I'm thinking Atom Heart Mother and Obscured By Clouds would have strong showings as well.    But I suppose quite a few people would go for SoS and PatGoD. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #778 on: December 08, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »
That's a very interesting poll indeed. I also think another poll could be "pre-Dark Side vs. post-Waters".

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #779 on: December 08, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
I like Ummagumma.  It's probably my number 5.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #780 on: December 08, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
I like Ummagumma.  It's probably my number 5.

And even though I would put it on the bottom...I can accept and respect that it is your #5, and I can deal with it. 

But 2 people voted it in the *top 3*.....of ALL OF THESE ALBUMS....   That is something that is a bit more difficult to swallow.

The live stuff is pretty good, and is a key redeeming feature of the album.  (there is no "bad" Pink Floyd album)    And the solo pieces have their redeeming moments, and I still enjoy listening to it as background music from time to time.   (as a matter of fact, I'm in a mood.   I think I'll throw it on right now)

But TOP 3??  ALL TIME??  With THAT catalog??     

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #781 on: December 08, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
I had a roommate who had a strong preference for early Pink Floyd.  He was okay with them up until Dark Side of the Moon, but found Wish You Were Here to be kinda boring, and Animals pointless.  Not everyone wants everything all drawn out and cerebral and epic.  Early Floyd had some of the weirdness and a bit more scope than your average pop, but kept it to shorter, more easily consumed pieces.  He really liked the first two albums, and thought Ummagumma was about as good as it gets.  Different tastes.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #782 on: December 08, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
It's like my adoring of Opeth's first two albums, Orchid and Morningrise. Round here, n****s be trippin left and right about my love for them but I stay true. They have a certain vibe to them that trills my frenulum to an extent most of their other albums don't. Diff strokes, diff folks...ya dig?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #783 on: December 29, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »
Hire Steven Wilson for the job

Please no, over hyped and vastly overrated, and this is coming from a Porcupine Tree fan.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #784 on: December 29, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
Vote for TDSODM,WYWH & Animals.

My top 50 PF songs

(50-20)

50.Fearless
49.Dogs Of War
48.What Do You Want From Me
47.Yet Another Movie
46.In The Flesh?
45.If
44.Your Possible Pasts
43.Astronomy Domine
42.On The Turning Away
41.Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
40.Take It Back
39.Mother
38.Keep Talking
37.Brain Damage
36.Another Brick In The Wall Pt.2
35.The Gunner's Dream
34.Terminal Frost
33.Any Color U Like
32.Arnold Layne
31.Poles Apart
30.One Slip
29.Wish You Were Here
28.Hey You
27.The Great Gig In The Sky
26.Run Like Hell
25.Summer '68
24.Goodbye Blue Sky
23.Learning To Fly
22.A Great Day For Freedom
21.Speak To Me/Breathe
20.Atom Heart Mother

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #785 on: December 29, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »

Please no, over hyped and vastly overrated, and this is coming from a Porcupine Tree fan.

which ones do you think are overrated?  I find his surround mixing work to be pretty phenomenal.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #786 on: December 29, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »

I can't agree.  Steven has consistently shown an appreciation for the original "vibe" and meticulous attention to detail in his 5.1 mixes.  When he makes the decision to alter the original mix, I've agreed with the result 95% of the time.  Most of the time, it's simply a matter of bringing out something that has been missed or buried for years.  With classic prog, this can be revelatory, as so much of it is heavily layered, and there's only so much space across a single X-dimension.

By contrast, I had the first two Genesis 5.1 boxes, and found a number of the changes distracting.  That quiet keyboard line which was so effective is now punched up to full volume and has lost all subtlety.  The layers of acoustic instruments were at different volumes for a reason; having them all equally balanced is not necessarily better.  Yes, we now hear parts that we didn't hear before, but you don't just push everything to 10 and call it a remix.  I sold both boxes on eBay and haven't really worried about it.

I just got Steven's Close to the Edge by Yes and I think he's done an excellent job.  His work on King Crimson's Red and ELP's first two albums is also excellent.  I consider them improvements over the originals, but completely in keeping with the original vibes.

I'm not sure what you would have against Steven doing Pink Floyd's back catalogue.  He's shown a great deal of care for the original work and no need to put his "personal mark" on it.  That's exactly what is needed for this type of thing, not Nick Davis' "I'll tweak everything" attitude that he showed with Genesis.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #787 on: December 29, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
I just got Steven's Close to the Edge by Yes and I think he's done an excellent job.

Same here.  I got the blu-ray for Christmas.  One of the best sounding things I've heard in a long time.
Winger would be better!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #788 on: December 29, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »
While an SW-mixed PF album would be cool, it just feels like a bit of a waste to me since he could spend that time on making new music. However, considering what he is currently making (retro prog that has been done before), I wouldn't really mind it if he did some PF albums.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #789 on: December 29, 2013, 07:18:34 PM »
I had a roommate who had a strong preference for early Pink Floyd.  He was okay with them up until Dark Side of the Moon, but found Wish You Were Here to be kinda boring, and Animals pointless.  Not everyone wants everything all drawn out and cerebral and epic.  Early Floyd had some of the weirdness and a bit more scope than your average pop, but kept it to shorter, more easily consumed pieces.  He really liked the first two albums, and thought Ummagumma was about as good as it gets.  Different tastes.

It's not the "liking earlier stuff" that throws me.   Even if someone really doesn't like anything post Meddle, it's hard for me to think of Ummagumma competing with Piper, Saucerful, Atom Heart, Meddle, Obscured...   Those are some amazing and really deep and rich albums.... 

Even if you just took a "top 3 from Piper to Obscured", it's hard for me to imagine anyone picking Ummagumma in the top 3.     But...ya, different strokes...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #790 on: March 22, 2014, 04:45:51 AM »
Has anyone seen Brit Floyd live? They're coming to my city in October and I'm thinking about going, although the tickets cost over 50€.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #791 on: March 22, 2014, 06:49:52 AM »
I saw them a year and a half ago and it was amazing, they're truly doing a fantastic job. I'd definitely recommend it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #792 on: March 22, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »
I saw them a year and a half ago and it was amazing, they're truly doing a fantastic job. I'd definitely recommend it.
I'll keep that in mind! :tup I watched a couple of videos and they seem to be pretty good and have a cool stage production.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #793 on: March 22, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »
I'll keep that in mind! :tup I watched a couple of videos and they seem to be pretty good and have a cool stage production.

I watched their Red Rocks performance on the local PBS station a couple of weeks ago and it looked awesome.  They put a lot of effort into their performance.
Winger would be better!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #794 on: March 22, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
It's like my adoring of Opeth's first two albums, Orchid and Morningrise. Round here, n****s be trippin left and right about my love for them but I stay true. They have a certain vibe to them that trills my frenulum to an extent most of their other albums don't. Diff strokes, diff folks...ya dig?

/off topic/ When I get back to my top 50, one of my top ten might just please you /on topic/
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: March 30, 2014, 05:43:07 AM »
I haven't read the whole thread (because it's fucking 23 pages long) so I apologize if it has been asked earlier.

I'm thinking of buying this Pink Floyd Discovery Box Set as a present for my uncle's birthday. Have anyone bought it? I would be glad to hear any feedback. I've heard the quality of remasters is great, but the package isn't handy at all. Any thoughts?

Oh, and if you have it, the photos would be much appreciated!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #796 on: May 09, 2014, 02:33:35 AM »
So I'm probably going to get hell for this but...

I think the 1981 re-recording on Money on A Great Collection Of Dance Songs > The DSOTM version.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: May 20, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #798 on: May 20, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »

/off topic/ When I get back to my top 50, one of my top ten might just please you /on topic/

Checking now...

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #799 on: May 20, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »

I think the 1981 re-recording on Money on A Great Collection Of Dance Songs > The DSOTM version.

:angry:

You're dead to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #800 on: May 20, 2014, 11:03:18 PM »

:eek :eek

That re-recording is something that, for years, I wish I could have unheard.  It's bad.

https://www.divisionbell20.com/

Awesome.  I adore The Division Bell, and I am thrilled to see it is getting this treatment. :coolio :hat

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: May 21, 2014, 12:04:04 AM »
actually i listened to it again... Money that is.... and I gotta say... I take back what I said. lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• DT.net Member
« Reply #802 on: May 21, 2014, 12:28:24 AM »
Nice to see you put your money where your mouth is.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: May 21, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »
ha

ha

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #804 on: May 21, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
LOVE LOVE LOVE The Division Bell, but that set is ridiculously overpriced as there is no new content, and that album, like the others has already made enough money to fly this whole forum to Disney World. The Pink Floyd name has been such a ridiculous money suck with these things. I'd happily pay $20 for a blu-ray or DVD with a 5.1 of the album, but if I remember correctly, that simple option wasn't even offered with the other sets.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1