Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 168961 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #665 on: October 04, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
If you are like me, since you heard One of These Days from Delicate Sound of Thunder first, the original on Meddle is likely to be a huge letdown once you get to it.  It's really amazing how much better the live versions from DSOT and the Pulse DVD are than the studio version.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #666 on: October 04, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
Man, have I missed out. Brand new to this thread, been listening to them my whole entire life (one of my earliest memories is sitting on the couch while my dad blasts DSOTM).

Favorite album is Animals, favorite song is Dogs.

TDB is one of my favorite albums from them, so underrated.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #667 on: October 04, 2012, 11:58:24 PM »

:tup You and I are going to get along just fine.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #668 on: October 05, 2012, 12:02:02 AM »

:tup You and I are going to get along just fine.  :lol

Greatest PF song ever written  :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #669 on: October 05, 2012, 12:06:36 AM »
Damn right!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #670 on: October 05, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »

Excellent choices. :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #671 on: October 05, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »

Me too, me too!  :biggrin:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #672 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #673 on: November 04, 2012, 04:06:05 AM »
Has anyone of you guys got to see Brit Floyd live? I saw them two nights ago and loved every minute of it, they put out a spectacular show, everything was played flawlessly and lets not even talk about the video show - it's the real thing. I thought it was a privilege to hear some of the most amazing songs of all time live, they even busted out the entire side C of The Wall. Gotta admit, I cried my eyes out on Shine on you crazy diamond and The Great gig in the sky, the performance was that touching. Priceless experience.

This was the set list, if anyone's interested:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brit-floyd-the-pink-floyd-tribute-show/2012/sava-centar-belgrade-serbia-5bdabfd4.html

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #674 on: November 04, 2012, 04:19:07 AM »
Has anyone of you guys got to see Brit Floyd live? I saw them two nights ago and loved every minute of it, they put out a spectacular show, everything was played flawlessly and lets not even talk about the video show - it's the real thing. I thought it was a privilege to hear some of the most amazing songs of all time live, they even busted out the entire side C of The Wall. Gotta admit, I cried my eyes out on Shine on you crazy diamond and The Great gig in the sky, the performance was that touching. Priceless experience.

This was the set list, if anyone's interested:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brit-floyd-the-pink-floyd-tribute-show/2012/sava-centar-belgrade-serbia-5bdabfd4.html
I wanted to go see them, but that would've been my 3rd concert within one week, so I decided not too (also having exams).

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #675 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »
Bump.

I was wondering if there is any love for the song "On an Island" from Gilmour's soloside?
Personally I think it's a fantastic song, and the vocal lines are really haunting and beautiful. Some passionate guitars as well.

(yeah I know it's not PF but still!)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: January 14, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
Bump.

I was wondering if there is any love for the song "On an Island" from Gilmour's soloside?
Personally I think it's a fantastic song, and the vocal lines are really haunting and beautiful. Some passionate guitars as well.

I love the song

Really into The Final Cut lately. Know it's not the most popular album, but I like it a lot.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #677 on: January 14, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »

Really into The Final Cut lately. Know it's not the most popular album, but I like it a lot.

The Final Cut is honestly one of my top PF albums. Lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
Bump.

Favourite song from that album.

This clip from Royal Albert Hall with David Crosby and Graham Nash is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhVYAdXBG4
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #679 on: January 14, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
Good thing I'm not the only one. The album actually clicked for me recently after a very long time of being an average album at best. Fletcher, Filthy hands, Southampton dock, The Post-war dream... It's great stuff.  :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #680 on: January 14, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Pretty much all of On an Island is fantastic.  Really, it sounds like the natural follow-up to The Division Bell, so it fits well in the Floyd canon.

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #681 on: January 14, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »
I like nearly all Pink Floyd albums (I'm not keen on Ummagumma and I hate A Momentary Lapse of Reason). Other than that, I'm not really special, my 3 favorites are Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall, in that order.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: January 14, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »
Sooo... I guess it's okay to discuss non PF solo projects  too? lol I have been hooked on Waters' Amused To Death. The only Waters solo album to really click with me.

Pretty much all of On an Island is fantastic.  Really, it sounds like the natural follow-up to The Division Bell, so it fits well in the Floyd canon.

Agreed 110%

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: January 14, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »
Amused to Death is great, one of my all-time favourite albums

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #684 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »
Roger Waters was on The Daily Show Monday night:

https://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/mon-january-14-2013-roger-waters (go to the final segment, starts around 15:17, to see the interview)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: January 16, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »
I just picked up my newly bought record player. First album to listen to? Dark Side Of The Moon :hat
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #686 on: January 16, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »
I just picked up my newly bought record player. First album to listen to? Dark Side Of The Moon :hat

Sir, I say sir! I like your style, sir!
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #687 on: January 16, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
Roger Waters was on The Daily Show Monday night:

https://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/mon-january-14-2013-roger-waters (go to the final segment, starts around 15:17, to see the interview)
That was a brief yet enjoyable interview. Looks like Roger is extremely comfortable around John, I guess John interviewed him several times.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #688 on: January 17, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »
To his credit, Waters definitely seems to have finally mellowed out a bit in his old age, as opposed to the angry guy he was for so long.  I thought it was kind of funny how Waters pointed out how difficult it was to keep up with Stewart's fast-talking.  I think that was his nice way of saying, "Let me tell my story without your sarcastic comments where you say 76 words in five seconds." :lol  Granted, his style is what makes Stewart so awesome and so funny, but with a guy like Waters, you need to tone it down a bit, and I think he got Waters' message, as he dialed it down after that.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #689 on: January 17, 2013, 02:41:50 PM »
It was similar when Conan O'Brien interviewed Roger about two years ago. Conan was his usual self, making comments throughout the interview, and after one streak of Conan's jokes Roger smiled and said ''I knew he'd leave a gap eventually, so that I could answer the question.'' It's always fun to see Roger in such a TV show, where he can relax to an extent and not be this serious, grumpy guy that he apparently was and that he himself says he was.

Too bad I can't find the interview, it was certainly more informative. This is the only thing I managed to get a hold of on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQM69FCp9cc

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #690 on: January 17, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »
Waters interviews are a lot of fun to listen to. He's pretty engaging. Here's his interview with Howard Stern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U84Sy8S0f6I
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #691 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »
Does anyone else have love for Richard Wright's solo stuff? Thus far, I've only heard Broken China, but it's like a slightly more electronic version of Floyd (and it really shows how much of Floyd is actually Wright). I really like it, I think it's easily my favourite of any of their solo works.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #692 on: January 18, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
He only had the two solo albums, Wet Dream and Broken China.  I checked out Wet Dream a while back, gave it a few listens, and honestly nothing really grabbed me.  I love his work with Pink Floyd.  I think that he was one of the best at what he did, which is play synthesizers like synthesizers, piano like piano, and organ like organ.  That is, everything he did was perfect for what needed to be there to support the rest of the band, something I strive for myself when I play keyboards in a band.

Anyway, I didn't know what to expect from a solo album from him, but I guess I was thinking there'd be instrumentals or awesome keyboard-based stuff, and it was just a bunch of songs.  Not bad songs, I guess, but nothing spectacular.  That's what I remember, anyway.  I should give it another try.  I don't think I ever tried Broken China, probably because of Wet Dream.  (A couple of horrible album titles there, btw.)

I guess I've got some listening to do this weekend.  ♫♫

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #693 on: January 18, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
I've not heard Wet Dream. All I know is it's out of print in Britain now. To be honest, Broken China doesn't need to be the full 75 minutes it is, but I find the music in it really pretty enjoyable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #694 on: January 21, 2013, 08:35:58 PM »
Okay, I've listened to Wet Dream three times in the past two days, and I have completely changed my mind about it.  I don't know what the deal was the first time, but I probably just wasn't paying attention.  The songs aren't bad at all; some of them are pretty good.  No, he doesn't have the greatest voice, but I've heard it enough in Pink Floyd to where I could handle it fine.

The instrumentals were all pretty cool, some were downright great.  Mel Collins on sax and flute (you've heard him on King Crimson's album Red), Snowy White on guitar (he plays the solo in "Pigs on the Wing" - the version which isn't separated into two parts), and lots of chord changes that conjured 70's Pink Floyd.  No surprise, since this came out in 1978, right after Animals.

I played it, and played it again, and then again.  Loud in the car, and loud over earphones while working out.  It pretty much alternates between instrumentals and songs.  Too bad it's out of print.  But if you can find a copy, check it out.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:03 AM »
The instrumentals were all pretty cool, some were downright great.  Mel Collins on sax and flute (you've heard him on King Crimson's album Red), Snowy White on guitar (he plays the solo in "Pigs on the Wing" - the version which isn't separated into two parts), and lots of chord changes that conjured 70's Pink Floyd.  No surprise, since this came out in 1978, right after Animals.

A little off topic but that solo section was awesome, I should listen to it again, it's been a while.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #696 on: January 22, 2013, 07:35:30 AM »
It's a cool solo.  That version is such a rarity, which is a shame, because it's great.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »
I prefer it to the original split versions

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: January 22, 2013, 04:51:15 PM »
It's a cool solo.  That version is such a rarity, which is a shame, because it's great.

I don't have Nick Mason's book in front of me but from what I remember he just pasted the two together and put a solo over it, I think for one of his personal projects.

I'm probably wrong tho.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #699 on: January 22, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
Bump.

Raises hand....I adore that song. And one album i really wish i hadnt sold.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD