Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 167833 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #385 on: May 14, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
OR you could just click the same link I posted ;)

Ah I missed yours :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: May 14, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
Wow, I guess it was blogged a couple hours in advance, but I assume for most people that was one damn awesome surprise. And he goofed the lyrics, nonetheless.

Also, 'Outside the Wall' with a slightly bemused looking Nick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHX6VsU2ZA
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: May 15, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
This is a professional, HD, Roger Waters approved video. Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150192580970737&oid=101052049938609&comments

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: May 15, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
This is a professional, HD, Roger Waters approved video. Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150192580970737&oid=101052049938609&comments

Wow, got shivers... Just magical. Thank you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #389 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
My cousin told me about some agreement and favor that the two worked out for charity I think.  I'll ask him about it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #390 on: May 15, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
That video was amazing.

Regarding the "reunion" -- IMO the word can have different meanings.  If one member of the band is now dead, there can never be a proper reunion.  But if the other three get back together, then that's the closest it's going to get.  Calling it a reunion in that case is easier than saying "reunion of the remaining living members" or something.

So the last proper reunion was and will always be Live 8.  But I'd say that given the history of the band, any time you can get Waters and Gilmour together, especially with Nick Mason on board, you could call it a reunion.

Offline wjc

« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
Going through one of my The Wall binge phases at the moment, I'm really looking forward to the third disc of the deluxe or whatever it's called edition, with any luck it'll have the Final Cut songs as they were meant to be; it should also mean I will finally be able to make my extended Wall cycle, in studio quality :loser:
Have your say in DT: The League

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: May 17, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »
It's pouring with rain today, it gets me in the mood to watch the Pulse DVD tonight.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #393 on: May 17, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
A Momentary Lapse of Reason has begun in the lovely Pink Floyd Survivor. Get over there and vote!
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: August 09, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
Went with The Dark Side of the Moon, Animals and The Wall...

It was hard to give up on Wish You Were Here and The Division Bell though... and yeah it was kind of late.....

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »
The solo in Dogs is the best. Ever.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
It's pouring with rain today, it gets me in the mood to watch the Pulse DVD tonight.
I've got this DVD but never watched it. Is it good?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2011, 08:49:11 AM »

It's great! If you've never seen the VHS then watch it ASAP.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: August 09, 2011, 08:57:38 AM »
The solo in Dogs is the best. Ever.

It is really good..... I'm a huge fan of Gilmour.. but I have to say I love this performance as well... the one in the In the Flesh tour....
the left handed guitarist Doyle Bramhall II...
https://youtu.be/4SpvfSDL-is

and dying for PIGS / 3 DIFFERENT ONES too....

it is amazing!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: August 09, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »

One of my favourite concert DVDs ever. Highly recommended.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #400 on: August 09, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
I've been reading The Illustrated Biography PINK FLOYD by Marie Clayton:

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-Classic-Rare-Unseen/dp/1907176144/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312903253&sr=1-12

It's a tad over 200 pages but more like only 50 since most pages only contain no more than 1/3 of actual text with the rest being really neat photos from throughout their career. The pages are quite thick and eye-pleasingly glossy and I got it hardcover(not even sure if paperback exists, let alone if it could even do justice to what the point of what the book is about, photos, after all) for only ten bucks at Barnes and Noble's clearance rack.

I saw the only Amazon.com review of it give it a 2/5 rating because of what they thought were inconsistent dates listed for some pics(don't know if this is true) but for the price and generally good quality of the book I've been very pleased as now when I take dumps I'm biting my lips in anticipation of the next page and not just due to abdominal pain.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

• DT.net Member
« Reply #402 on: August 09, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
No prob. This may sound weird but I recommend using it as a bathroom book or at least reading it in several short sessions since it can easily be knocked out in a few hours which may leave you feeling somewhat jipped.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »
No prob. This may sound weird but I recommend using it as a bathroom book or at least reading it in several short sessions since it can easily be knocked out in a few hours which may leave you feeling somewhat jipped.

I hear you!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #404 on: August 09, 2011, 11:06:28 AM »
I love all their stuff, except for The Final Cut (which just makes me insanely unhappy), but my favourite three are Dark Side Of The Moon, Meddle and Obscured By Clouds.

Dark Side Of The Moon is just perfect to my mind, especially the use of slide guitar on Breathe and The Great Gig, and also I love the keyboards on it too. (Pink Floyd needed more Richard Wright on albums after it, I think).

Meddle would be worth the purchase even if it was just Echoes and One Of These Days, particularly as Echoes is my favourite song. It just has everything. I do like the rest of the album too, especially A Pillow Of Winds, but Echoes and One Of These Days are just brilliant.

Obscured By Clouds has a few moments which aren't quite as good as the rest of it, but in general I love it, especially the opening instrumentals.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

• DT.net Member
« Reply #405 on: August 09, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
Dark Side-It got me into the Floyd and paved the way for me to get into numerous other classic rock bands I'd previously written off simply cuz I was so fed up with hearing folks try to sell them on me in overbearing ways(Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix, and Beatles also fell into this category and I've gotten into all of them to varying degrees since.) Also it was the soundtrack to the summer where I made the transition from casual to everyday stoner. I miss those days [/cleaner lungs now]

Animals-Three absolute beastly good epics. 'Nuff said but just to elaborate a tad I will say I loved figuring out the entire bassline to Sheep in only two listens and Dogs is such a beautifully gentle blanket for my ears that I can forgive SW for ripping it off for Time Flies.

Wish You Were Here-Tossup between this and Meddle. I had every intention of making Meddle the bronze medal in this trio(seriously didn't mean the awful pun) but Seamus and San Tropez weigh it down like an anchor for me so, despite Echoes far and away being my alltime Floyd fave, I had to go for Wish You Were Here since the only track I don't really care for is the title track. It ain't bad imo but I really hate most acoustic songs that are dominated by cowboy chords(open chords.) Just spent too many nights in bars with open mic going well till that one redneck asshole(come to the south and you'll see) gets up and plays five straight songs where no other chord beyond C, D, or G should even dare try to find its way into one of their lost my girl/lost my money/I gotta be free so ah play mah geetar-style musical abortions. Also it's the only Floyd song my cover band plays which pisses me off since there are numerous better options. Have a Cigar is a fantastic song too thanks to that awesome keyboard lick in the intro.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
I hate songs that use those chords too, but that song is beyond amazing.

And woot I'm not the only one who says that about Time Flies. :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
I finished my Pink Floyd collection this year. So I'm wondering, do you guys think the new re-releases are going to be worth double-dipping for, or should I just stick to what I have now?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »
Stick with what you already have is what I'd do... Or is that am doing? I also completed my collection in the last year (on my 21st birthday no less... Good times)
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2011, 12:48:23 PM »
Dogs is such a beautifully gentle blanket for my ears that I can forgive SW for ripping it off for Time Flies.
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT. IT IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY THE SAME
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
Dogs is such a beautifully gentle blanket for my ears that I can forgive SW for ripping it off for Time Flies.
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT. IT IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY THE SAME

I agree. The mere coincidence that two people whom have never met IRL or discussed either song before now yet have that opinion is surely something that can be overlooked.  :heart Don't beat me up if I see you at a meetup.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: October 14, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »
Has anyone seen Roger Waters in his current tour? I wasn't going to see him because I always thought that listening to Pink Floyd without Gilmore wasn't worth it but he just announced he will be doing a 9th!!!!!! show here in BA and I though, fuck, I should probably go.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: October 14, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »

I agree. The mere coincidence that two people whom have never met IRL or discussed either song before now yet have that opinion is surely something that can be overlooked.  :heart Don't beat me up if I see you at a meetup.

I might get beaten up too.... but.... :omg: 

Has anyone seen Roger Waters in his current tour? I wasn't going to see him because I always thought that listening to Pink Floyd without Gilmore wasn't worth it but he just announced he will be doing a 9th!!!!!! show here in BA and I though, fuck, I should probably go.

I have... it is worth it... huge production... great show... and he always tours with great musicians....
you wouldn't regret.....

Offline jammindude

« Reply #413 on: October 14, 2011, 03:10:01 PM »

I thought SW had gone on record as stating that it was a very intentional "homage" to Dogs...something about Time Flies being based on personal experiences and Animals being the PF album he was listening to the most at that time of his life.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: October 14, 2011, 03:13:22 PM »
that explains.... and changes everything....

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: October 14, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »

Thought this tour was over. Yes, definitely go if you can if you are at all a fan of The Wall. The production alone makes it worthwhile, and since DG doesn't sing as much on this album as on others, you won't miss him as much as you might otherwise. It feels like a RW show more than a PF one, but he is having so much fun and the show will kick your ass so much it doesn't matter.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #416 on: October 14, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »
DSOTM, WYWH, WALL
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #417 on: October 15, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
I listened to the WYWH remaster earlier this week and it blew me away! I'm not a fan of the whole "remastering" trend lately, but hell... if people are gonna put out remasters like THIS ONE, I am all for it!

Can't wait to listen to the rest of the remasters, and actually considering getting the WYWH boxset

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: October 16, 2011, 09:01:55 AM »
I haven't listened to the remasters yet but I plan to pick up the remaster for The Wall and see how it is and then possibly buy some of the others.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: October 18, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
I just purchased my ticket for Roger Waters!! Now I have to wait until March 20th....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.