Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 165311 times)

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #350 on: May 01, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
I think Echoes is the best Pink Floyd song ever.  I love the part after the whale sounds.  The build up there is amazing.

DAT CHROMATICALLY DESCENDING RIFF  :hat

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: May 01, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
I think Echoes is the best Pink Floyd song ever.  I love the part after the whale sounds.  The build up there is amazing.

You mean that one from Phantom of the Opera? :neverusethis:

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #352 on: May 01, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »

You mean that one from Phantom of the Opera? :neverusethis:

Yeah, don't you just hate it when Pink Floyd steals off Andrew Lloyd Webber, what a bunch of thieves!  >:( ;)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: May 01, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »

I used to hate that part, after that jam leading up to it, I would be on such a musical high, then would get to that part, and be all WTF??? But I've come to enjoy it in the context of the song as a whole. And the audacity of this art school band releasing a song like that in 1970(?) is awesome. Gilmour's 'Remember that Night' and 'Gdansk' version FTW!

Is The Wall movie any good? I never saw the whole thing and I'm not sure if it's worth it since a lot of people thought it was boring.
Those people are all crazy.  The movie is great.  In fact, the movie is what got me into not only the record (I saw the movie before hearing the record), but the band.

Wow, that would be weird, seeing the film first. I guess you could follow the main plot, but maybe not pick up on the intricacies without multiple viewings. I’ve always liked the movie. It is not flawless, but a great compliment to the album. I think the parts with Pink as a child are stronger than the later parts with the fascist transformation. That is still a little WTF? for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #354 on: May 01, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
They Gdansk version of Echoes is possibly the greatest thing any member of Pink Floyd has ever done.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
Nah I haven't. That reminds me, I missed The Machine last Friday night, and I missed The Australian Pink Floyd Show in November...

good thing I saw Roger Waters in October. :laugh:

The Machine is a reasonable substitute since you can't have the real thing. I have seen them a couple of times (and they are playing near me on my birthday in June, so I may be seeing them again in the near future). They are one of the tribute bands that I have purchased a CD (actually three) from and listen to on a somewhat regular basis.

Offline Headcase

« Reply #356 on: May 07, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »
Going to see the Machine next week at Lincoln Theater in Raleigh... I've heard nothing but good things so I'm looking forward to this.

So I ended up missing The Machine when they came to Raleigh and I was really beat up over it...
"Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy" - Thelonious Monk

MC HEADCASE
Check out the tunes: Soundclick | ReverbNation | Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Myspace[

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #357 on: May 07, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »
Just posting here to say that Meddle fucking rules. It's one of the best high albums ever.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #358 on: May 10, 2011, 02:39:56 AM »
Just posting here to say that Meddle fucking rules. It's one of the best high albums ever.
:tup :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #359 on: May 10, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
Get immersed in Pink Floyd's back catalogue, with outtakes, rarities, and more!

You knew it was coming.  The 5.1 DVDs and Blu-rays, with never-before-seen concert footage and audio recordings, and of course the six-disc version of Dark Side of the Moon.

Okay, I would never have guessed six discs, but this is Pink Floyd we're talking about.  They never do anything halfway.  Also, the five-disc version of Wish You Were Here and seven-disc version of The Wall.

Start saving your pennies now.  You know these babies will not be cheap.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #360 on: May 10, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »

Quoted for truth.

I may check out The Wall one though.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: May 10, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »

You knew it was coming.  The 5.1 DVDs and Blu-rays, with never-before-seen concert footage and audio recordings, and of course the six-disc version of Dark Side of the Moon.

Okay, I would never have guessed six discs, but this is Pink Floyd we're talking about.  They never do anything halfway.  Also, the five-disc version of Wish You Were Here and seven-disc version of The Wall.

Start saving your pennies now.  You know these babies will not be cheap.
I'm so glad I didn't buy that Box Set they released some years ago.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #362 on: May 10, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »
"Shine On" the eight-disc set was actually quite nice for its time, 1994 I think.  True, they didn't include any out-takes or alternate versions, but it was the seven main sequence albums all remastered in a pretty nice package.  Plus, when you put them together on your shelf, they look like this:

But I'll be honest, I didn't buy it either (it was a gift).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: May 10, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »

You knew it was coming.  The 5.1 DVDs and Blu-rays, with never-before-seen concert footage and audio recordings, and of course the six-disc version of Dark Side of the Moon.

Okay, I would never have guessed six discs, but this is Pink Floyd we're talking about.  They never do anything halfway.  Also, the five-disc version of Wish You Were Here and seven-disc version of The Wall.

No Lie, I'll probably spend the money and get everything I can.

I was a big collector of all things Pink Floyd in High School and I stopped before getting to college.

I'll probably pick up the Immersion edition of DSotM, WYWH, and The Wall.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #364 on: May 10, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
THAT IS AWESOME
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #365 on: May 10, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »
"Shine On" the eight-disc set was actually quite nice for its time, 1994 I think.  True, they didn't include any out-takes or alternate versions, but it was the seven main sequence albums all remastered in a pretty nice package.  Plus, when you put them together on your shelf, they look like this:

*snip*
But I'll be honest, I didn't buy it either (it was a gift).
I love it when bands do a reissue catalog where the sides of the album make a face. Iron Maiden's has Eddie, and Megadeth's make a picture of their mascot.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #366 on: May 10, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
Yea, I have most of the Eddie ones. Pretty cool stuff.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
- WISH YOU WERE HERE Immersion edition - November 7th, 2011

In addition to the remastered edition, and the second disc from the Experience edition with unreleased live and studio tracks, this comes with an additional three discs of goodies.

DISC 3 - DVD1, ALL AUDIO: Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps / Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps / Wish You Were Here, Original Mix (1975) LPCM stereo / Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps / Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

DISC 4 - DVD 2, AUDIO VISUAL: Concert Screen Films: Shine On You Crazy Diamond Intro / Shine On You Crazy Diamond / Welcome To The Machine animated clip / Storm Thorgerson short film. Concert Screen Films play in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound

DISC 5 - BLURAY: AUDIO: Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit / Wish You Were Here, Original stereo mix (1975) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit / Concert Screen films: Shine On You Crazy Diamond Intro / Shine On You Crazy Diamond / Welcome To The Machine animated clip / Storm Thorgerson short film

This set comes with a 40 page, 27cm x 27cm booklet designed by Storm Thorgerson, an exclusive photo book edited by Jill Furmanovsky, an exclusive Storm Thorgerson Art Print, 5 x Collectors’ Cards featuring art and comments by Storm Thorgerson, replica of Wish You Were Here tour ticket, replica of Wish You Were Here backstage pass, scarf, 3 x clear marbles, 9 x coasters (unique to this box) featuring early Storm Thorgerson design sketches, and a 12 page credits booklet.

Holy crap. I couldn’t even begin to imagine what value to place on something like that, but amazon.com currently has it listed at $100USD. I might be interested in The Wall immersion edition, but otherwise my checkbook thinks this is a bit of overkill. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2011, 02:04:50 PM »
It is definitely overkill.  I'm a big Pink Floyd fan myself, but seriously, how many different mixes do you need?  The remastered stereo mix on CD for in the car or ripping to iPod, and the 5.1 on Blu-ray.

The Quad mix is nice, but there's certainly enough room on a BD for both the 4.0 and the 5.1, and the 2.0 is just redundant.  So is having both DVD and BD in the same package.  So is having both a hi-res and standard res version on the same disc.  Are you ever actually going to choose the standard res version when you can just select the hi-res?

The concert screen films are nice, but they just play over the 5.1, so again there's redudancy.  And in my initial excitement, I read the descriptions too quickly; I thought we were getting actual concert video.  No.

IMO Rush did it right.  A redbook CD and either a DVD-A or BD with the 5.1 plus goodies.  In the case of Pink Floyd, rarities and/or live versions on a third disc.  That's all you actually need.  It's almost like they intentionally introduced all the redundancy just to crank up the price.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: May 12, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »
Where's the "- ANIMALS Immersion edition"? :-[

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #370 on: May 12, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
Yeah, it is interesting that they "skipped" Animals for now.  My guess is that they wanted to start with the most popular ones first, as these are definitely going to be expensive to produce and they'd like to recoup some money before putting more into the later releases.  Also, if the most popular ones don't sell well enough to recoup their costs, they can cut their losses and not produce the others.

Don't get me wrong; Animals is my favorite and I'd love to see it in this initial offerring as well, but I can understand the business reasoning.  They can't do them all at once, so they start with the ones with the best chance of selling first.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #371 on: May 12, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »
And I understand what you are saying Orbert, but using that same logic I think they should have either done just Dark Side and The Wall initially, or they should have done that entire 4 album run. Seems silly to exclude one right in the middle.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #372 on: May 12, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »
Yeah, but tell that to the bean counters.

Think of it this way: If DT ever reached the point where they'd reissue everything like that, they might start with Images & Words, Awake, and SFAM.  They wouldn't include FII just because it was in the middle.  It has its fans, but overall it is significantly less popular.  Same with Animals.  Gotta start by maximizing ROI.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #373 on: May 12, 2011, 02:41:36 PM »
My biggest complaint right now is that they seem to have the full 1974 concert available and are not releasing it separate from these special editions (and the "Echoes" encore is missing, which I assume will show up if there is an expanded Meddle). Other than that, I am finding it hard at this point in time to justify the Immersion box sets. Too much redunancy that I will likely watch/listing to once or twice before relegating the whole box to the shelf. DSoTM does have an additional CD that is somewhat intriguing and some of the live footage has my curiosity piqued, but I would rather see complete concerts or a live DVD set similar to what Led Zeppelin released. I really don't like how the live stuff is randomly place.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:39 PM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:44:21 PM by emindead »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #375 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
Orbert - I said the same exact thing to my friend earlier today. I might get the WYWH package, but the Dark Side one? Meh. I already got the SACD 5.1 mix of that... plus the CD and the album. I really don't need that

However, the packaging does sound really cool, and I'd love to have ONE of them. I'll go with WYWH, or Animals if they end up announcing that one since it's one of my favorite albums of all time. They didn't even include a 5.1 mix in the Wall's package, yet they are charging the same price which is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, cool about the reunion... too bad it came a few years too late.  :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #376 on: May 12, 2011, 10:21:09 PM »

People, Pink Floyd reunited today and most of you didn't notice. 

They did?  Technically, Roger Waters hasn't been a member of Pink Floyd since the mid 80s, so the most recent Floyd reunion was still only in 2007. ;) :P

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: May 13, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNRSChj6w4c

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pink-floyd-reunite-at-roger-waters-show-in-london-20110512

People, Pink Floyd reunited today and most of you didn't notice. A plague in all your houses.

I saw that, sucks that it didn't happen at the Paris show I'm going to, but at least there is footage of it.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: May 13, 2011, 07:24:10 AM »
The shows at London were recorded, can't wait for the DVD!!!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: May 13, 2011, 07:29:36 AM »

Awesome, I would love to see some footage of that reunion :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #380 on: May 13, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »
Also, cool about the reunion... too bad it came a few years too late.  :(
This...

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »

w00t, can't wait to pick them up

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »
A fan-filmed video of Comfortably Numb with Gilmour here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNRSChj6w4c

:hefdaddy
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: May 14, 2011, 08:03:54 AM »
OR you could just click the same link I posted ;)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: May 14, 2011, 08:04:53 AM »

People, Pink Floyd reunited today and most of you didn't notice. 

They did?  Technically, Roger Waters hasn't been a member of Pink Floyd since the mid 80s, so the most recent Floyd reunion was still only in 2007. ;) :P
They did, Pink Floyd played only one song: Outside the Wall.