Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 165128 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #315 on: January 09, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »
The guitar solo in "Pigs" is probably my favorite part of the album. I actually find that whole song better than "Dogs" though most people think it's the weakest.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #316 on: January 09, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »
You talkin' 'bout the one with the wah-wah oink-oink pedal?  That's a sweet solo!  :tup

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2011, 10:18:24 PM »
Nah the one that closes out the song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2011, 10:33:09 PM »
The one that closes the song has a lot cleaner sound.  I'm talking about the one that starts about five minutes in.  It's such a dirty, gritty sound that it actually oinks like a pig.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #319 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »
The guitar solo in "Pigs" is probably my favorite part of the album. I actually find that whole song better than "Dogs" though most people think it's the weakest.
YES

"Pigs" is great. My favorite off of Animals, easily.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2011, 04:18:01 AM »
My first listen to Dogs was actually on Roger Waters' In The Flesh DVD a couple of years ago, I hadn't heard the Animals album yet. Needless to say I bought the album right away and I loved it. Dogs and Sheep are the favourites on it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2011, 04:47:33 AM »
Pigs is also my favorite from Animals.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2011, 07:40:01 AM »
Pigs is also my favorite from Animals.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:23 AM »
My first listen to Dogs was actually on Roger Waters' In The Flesh DVD a couple of years ago...

That is definitely a highlight of that DVD for me. Always wondered why they didn't have Jon Carin do more Gilmour vocals, he sounds great on that song.

I need to revisit TDB. I think I had at one point but sold when I did some housecleaning to get some quick cash. I never missed AMLoR because the best stuff on that is on DSoT, and sounds much better on that CD anyway. I remember thinking the same about TDB/Pulse, so didn't mind getting rid of it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
I listened to "Wish You Were Here" Saturday night :hat...

fucking amazing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2011, 08:48:06 PM »

fucking amazing.

EDIT: :hat Listen to Meddle! It's fuckin' ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:05:30 PM by Quadrochosis »
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: January 31, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
Has anyone seen House of Floyd? They're coming to town in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if they're worth seeing or not.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #327 on: January 31, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

fucking amazing.

EDIT: :hat Listen to Meddle! It's fuckin' ridiculous.
Will do. This past Saturday my friend and I listened to a playlist that I pre-made. It had lots of Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Tool, The Allman Brothers Band, etc... And then we fell asleep to Led Zeppelin's Houses Of The Holy.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
Pink Floyd Survivor 2011 is up and running!
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: February 16, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »
Has anyone seen House of Floyd? They're coming to town in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if they're worth seeing or not.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »
Nah I haven't. That reminds me, I missed The Machine last Friday night, and I missed The Australian Pink Floyd Show in November...

good thing I saw Roger Waters in October. :laugh:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
I would have gone to see Roger Waters if it wasn't so ridiculously expensive. Oh well...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: February 16, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
It was well worth it. Visually unmatched.

Offline Headcase

« Reply #333 on: March 11, 2011, 12:49:38 AM »
Going to see the Machine next week at Lincoln Theater in Raleigh... I've heard nothing but good things so I'm looking forward to this.
"Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy" - Thelonious Monk

MC HEADCASE
Check out the tunes: Soundclick | ReverbNation | Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Myspace[

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #334 on: April 08, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »
I posted this in the "Movie" thread but I'm resurrecting this thread because I picked up Pulse and watched it last night.  It was absolutely amazing.

I think that was the most complex stage setup I've ever seen.  I heard U2 had a pretty ridiculous one for a while, but I never saw it and since I'm not a huge U2 fan I probably never will.  But the Pulse stage was incredible.  They literally made all of Earl's Court part of it, which is a massive undertaking.  The huge arch over the stage which is actually a display, the circle within it, and at one point the entire backdrop is a display.  The pig things on the walls on either side with their own lights.  The plane crash.  The giant disco ball or whatever it was over the middle of the audience hit by lights from all sides, and then it opens up.  Holy fucking shit!

At first I wasn't sure about all the extra performers on stage.  Ideally, I like to see what just the band can do by themselves, but Pink Floyd is so layered and dense that much of it simply cannot be reproduced by three or four guys in real time.  It sounded so great that I didn't worry about it after a while.  One hell of a show.  I was actually exhausted by the end of it.  I felt like I've actually been to a Pink Floyd concert (which I never have been, and won't now).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #335 on: April 08, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »
I watched David Gilmour in Gdansk yesterday, which was excellent. Last show for Richard Wright too.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #336 on: April 08, 2011, 09:46:54 AM »
I caught Remember That Night on TV recently, and it was great.  That was the same tour, wasn't it?  I seem to remember hearing that that was Wright's last tour.  I gotta pick up the disc, since they usually cut a few songs when they show concert vids on TV.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: April 08, 2011, 10:39:44 AM »
OH THANK YOU! I searched for this thread and couldn't find it in the first 10 pages, so I gave up lol

I'm working on listening to Pink Floyd's discography, currently at Dark Side. I was unable to finish Ummagumma, it hurt my brain... Just wondered how people would rank PF Albums? I'm sure I have a decent understanding of the top 3-5 for people, but what about the rest? List taken from Wikipedia....

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
Soundtrack from the Film More (1969)
Ummagumma (1969)
Atom Heart Mother (1970)
Meddle (1971)
Obscured by Clouds (1972)
The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)
The Final Cut (1983)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
The Division Bell (1994)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: April 08, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
Dark Side Of The Moon
Animals
Wish You Were Here
The Wall
Meddle
The Division Bell
A Saucerful Of Secrets
Atom Heart Mother
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

I haven't listened enough to the rest to form an opinion yet.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #339 on: April 08, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
Animals
Wish you were here
Dark side of the moon
Atom heart mother
A Saucerful of secrets
Piper at the gates of dawn
The Wall
Obscured by clouds
Meddle
The Division bell
A Momentary lapse of reason
The Final cut
Ummagumma
More

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #340 on: April 08, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
The mid-late 70's albums are the highest rated among most fans.  Most agree that this list includes Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, but there is a great difference in how people rank them.

I personally think The Wall is a fine album, a huge achievement for them, but don't actually listen to it as often as Meddle.  This is due to a number of factors, including the fact that a lot of songs from The Wall get/got played to death on the radio, and overall it's just a really long album and I don't often have the time to listen to it in its entirety.

Ummagumma is not for everyone.  I like the early spacejam rock stuff and cannot think of four better early Floyd songs to include on the live disc, and I like the individual experimentation stuff too, so overall I like Ummagumma a lot, but I completely understand people who can't get into it.

Atom Heart Mother is similar.  It has the sound of a band still finding their feet, but what's really happening is that they're finding a new direction, a new sound, following the exit of Syd Barrett.  I like this one, too.

After that, things drop off quite a bit for me.  There are some good songs on The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell, but overall they're just not as consistent and strong as the 70's stuff.

I usually don't like ranking albums, but since you asked, and I'm a pretty big Pink Floyd fan, here you go:

Animals
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon
Meddle
The Wall
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Everything else

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: April 08, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
Momentary Lapse of Reason has some good songs, but I think they suffer from their production. They sound much better on Delicate Sound of Thunder. I never got in to TDB much, though High Hopes is probably my #1 PF song.

Pulse awesomeness

I own Pulse but have watched it so rarely. I wore out my DSoT VHS to death over the years, such that it became the definitive live Floyd experience, and definitive live concert video, in my view. Of course my opinions have changed since then.

I caught Remember That Night on TV recently, and it was great.  That was the same tour, wasn't it?  I seem to remember hearing that that was Wright's last tour.  I gotta pick up the disc, since they usually cut a few songs when they show concert vids on TV.

I believe so, as they were both to promote ‘On an Island’ and have very similar setlists. Though, of course, the concerts and presentations were very different. I have seen both, but don’t know which I prefer. I am not big on DG’s solo stuff, so never bothered to purchase either. I’ve said this before but I think his live version of Echoes better than the album version. And I’ve never been a big Bowie fan but him on CN is pretty neat.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #342 on: April 08, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »
As awesome as Pulse is, I still wish they would have recorded an outdoor concert for it.  I thought that stage show looked much better outside.  The giant mirror ball rising up from in the middle of the crowd during the last solo in "Comfortably Numb" was just incredible (as opposed to hanging from the ceiling in the video).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #343 on: April 08, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
That sounds pretty cool, too.  Presumably, they adapt the stage setup depending on the venue; I'm sure not every place can fit all of that stuff into it.  But I wonder, if they already had the hardware for the ball to rise up from the floor, why come up with a rig to suspend it from the ceiling?  Why not just use the floor rig?

I think the plane crash indoors was pretty cool, though.  In a stadium or other outdoor venue, it might be more believeable, but realism wasn't really the point here.  I just kept being amazed by all the hardware.  Those giant light boxes across the front of the stage, hundreds of Vari-lights and the colors they produced, all the different display elements... damn!

It may have looked better outside, but my mind is still blown from seeing it at Earl's Court.  I can't even imagine it being better, let alone much better.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: May 01, 2011, 02:59:01 AM »
Is The Wall movie any good? I never saw the whole thing and I'm not sure if it's worth it since a lot of people thought it was boring.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2011, 06:47:02 AM »
Pink Floyd fans and non-fans are both pretty divided on The Wall movie.  The movie takes the darkness and surrealism of the music and story from the album and take it up a notch by adding the visual elements of film.  To a lot of people it's more disturbing and/or helps them understanding the story better, to many it's just more WTF.

The movie came out after the album, obviously, but I'd think it would help a lot to know the story before watching the movie because the movie is pretty out there.

Offline volwrath

« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2011, 08:10:18 AM »
Is The Wall movie any good? I never saw the whole thing and I'm not sure if it's worth it since a lot of people thought it was boring.

Definitely NOT boring. Lots of gratuitous nudity, good tunes, cartoons, and destruction.

Edit: I would state in fact I like the movie more than the record, although that is probably due to me overplaying The Wall in my youth

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #347 on: May 01, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »

Those people are all crazy.  The movie is great.  In fact, the movie is what got me into not only the record (I saw the movie before hearing the record), but the band.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »
The movie is awesome. Gave me a whole new appreciation of an album I already adored.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2011, 10:59:24 AM »
I think Echoes is the best Pink Floyd song ever.  I love the part after the whale sounds.  The build up there is amazing.