Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 165008 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
The Wall is only three days away!!!  :caffeine:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2010, 03:53:10 PM »
The Wall is Pink Floyd's worst album besides Ummagumma, IMO.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »
The Wall is Pink Floyd's worst album besides Ummagumma, IMO.
???
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Trust me when I say that you will be floored (assuming you haven't spoiled yourself already).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2010, 10:26:50 PM »
Trust me when I say that you will be floored (assuming you haven't spoiled yourself already).
I've seen a touch of it, and have seen snippets of earlier Wall shows, but I know it's going to be amazing.  Can't wait to see what Waters does with todays tech.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2010, 10:27:58 PM »
I've seen a touch of it, and have seen snippets of earlier Wall shows, but I know it's going to be amazing.  Can't wait to see what Waters does with todays tech.
It's honestly the best show (as in lighting, effects, etc...) that I've ever seen. Where are your seats?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Just got back from the city after seeing The Machine at BB Kings, and I must say that it was one of the best shows that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The music was unbelievable, the musicians were all very much into what they were doing and looked like they were having a blast, and the crowd was pretty cool too, singing along to every single lyric, guitar lick and synth riff.

I wrote each song down as they played the set because I am a nutcase and I like to keep my last.fm near perfect so here's what was played in order:

Set 1
"In the Flesh?"
"The Thin Ice"
"Another Brick in the Wall (Part One)"
"The Happiest Days of Our Lives"
"Another Brick in the Wall (Part Two)"
"Sorrow"
"Speak to Me"
"Breathe"
"Time"
"Breathe Reprise"
"Have a Cigar"
"The Fletcher Memorial Home"
"Hey You!"
"Pigs (Three Different Ones)" - this was the highlight of the night for me seeing as it's my favorite PF song off my favorite PF album. The talk box solo was fucking epic.

Set 2 - The frontman said that they wrote this set to be very psychedelic, which was awesome. Almost every song had an extended solo section, increasing the length of each of these songs by a few minutes each.
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-IX)" - Yes, the entire thing!
"Keep Talking"
"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" - They jammed on this one for quite a while, and it was truly awesome, I had completely forgotten about this song and when they started to play it I was very surprised and excited.
"Fearless" - Another one that surprised me, I absolutely adore this song. Audience interaction was also epic.
"One Slip"
"Wish You Were Here"
"Interstellar Overdrive"
"Lucifer Sam"
"Run Like Hell"

Encore:
"Careful With That Axe, Eugene"
"Brain Damage"
"Eclipse"

Over 20 songs, almost three full hours. What a night. So blown away at how good the show was.

EDIT: Also, 4,000th post!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2010, 01:09:34 AM »
Was "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" the Relics version or the Ummagumma live version?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
Was "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" the Relics version or the Ummagumma live version?

I can't recall which is which, but it was the version where it starts slow and ominous, with the vocals almost whispering, building and building until there's like a huge explosion of sound that goes on for minutes. Pretty sure it's the Ummagumma version but I honestly don't remember.

EDIT: Just relistened to both versions, it was definitely the Ummagumma one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:13:59 AM by Quadrochosis »
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »
Hell yeah, that's the best one.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
Damn, that's one hell of a set.  Color me totally fucking jealous.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: December 31, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »
I had no idea they were playing... I might've went. Oh well, I'll probably be seeing them in February at a closer venue.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
Friends, it is almost that time again. Pink Floyd Survivor 2011 will be starting in February. Start your re-listening experience soon for best results.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2011, 06:12:14 PM »
So I listened to Is There Anybody Out There?

So much better than The Wall.  I love it.  It's greatly improved live.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2011, 11:24:51 PM »
Has anyone else here taken the time to make a complete, full studio-version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"?

I made my own, which clocks in at 25:42. What I did was use the Echoes version of the track, using the wind-sound cross-fade they did between parts V and VI, then tacked on the complete original album versions around that cross-fade for a seamless edit that makes it possible to enjoy the WHOLE songs (Parts I-IX) without interruption.

I'm only bringing this up now because I'm sitting here listening to it and what an amazing song it is. :hefdaddy

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #295 on: January 05, 2011, 01:34:32 AM »
I'm going to go see Which One's Pink on Friday. Anyone else seen them?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: January 05, 2011, 01:47:55 AM »
Has anyone else here taken the time to make a complete, full studio-version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"?

I think it was done in Echos.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:41 AM »

I think it was done in Echos.

nah Echoes contains like a 13 minute edit
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
Yeah, the Echoes version is the one you hear on the radio sometimes.  It's cool that they at least tried to preserve the structure of the song, kinda like the 11-minute version of "Thick as a Brick," but it's still an edit.

I tried making my own "seamless" edit back in the vinyl days, recording it onto a cassette, just to do it.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't exactly seamless, and I prefer to listen to the whole album anyway.

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #299 on: January 07, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »
Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is the best album ever created so I picked that.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #300 on: January 07, 2011, 06:29:42 AM »
Shine On is probably my favourite PF song, and I can't even listen to the original. I heard the Pulse version first, which at thirteen minutes I assume is the same as the edit, and it's the only version I've ever needed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: January 07, 2011, 10:03:39 AM »
Shine On is probably my favourite PF song, and I can't even listen to the original. I heard the Pulse version first, which at thirteen minutes I assume is the same as the edit, and it's the only version I've ever needed.

Agreed the DG-led Floyd does a great job with this song. But if you've never listened to pts 6-9, I highly recommend you do so. Pt6 is an awesome DG slide guitar showcase, pt7 is a reprise of pt4 with another verse, pt8 is a Rick Wright section (the only section I am not totally high on) and pt9 is an atmospheric, almost funereal section.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #302 on: January 07, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
Do you mean have I listened to the WYWH version? If so, yes, I had the album for years, I tried listening to it tons of times. That whole latter section added nothing of any worth to the edit version. It was like they decided to drag the song onwards and downwards for like ten more minutes.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: January 07, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
totally high
Best way to listen to them.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #304 on: January 07, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »
totally high
Best way to listen to them.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »
Do you mean have I listened to the WYWH version? If so, yes, I had the album for years, I tried listening to it tons of times. That whole latter section added nothing of any worth to the edit version. It was like they decided to drag the song onwards and downwards for like ten more minutes.

My bad, I read that as that's the only version you've ever heard. I think pts 6 and 9 are great additions, and 7 adds a nice reprise to the verses, with only pt8 seeming out of place. But like In The Presence of Enemies, I rarely would think to listen to the whole song all the way through.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
High Hopes is beyond words.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »

lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »
High Hopes is beyond words.

QFT.

Same goes for "Keep Talking."

And "Lost for Words."

And "What Do You Want from Me."

And "Poles Apart."

Man, I love The Division Bell. :hat

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: January 09, 2011, 01:21:33 AM »
Is Roger Waters going to do this again? it seems like this is probably gonna be the last time :( I never had a chance to see it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #310 on: January 09, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
Dogs is one of the best songs ever.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #311 on: January 09, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
Dogs is one of the best songs ever.
Indeed. Probably my favourite Floyd song.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
Dogs is a great song.  "Animals" is not only my favorite PF cd, but one of my favorite cd's period

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: January 09, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »
Is Roger Waters going to do this again? it seems like this is probably gonna be the last time :( I never had a chance to see it.
Hate to say it but most probably not, after all, it won't be The Wall's anniversary for long (he's pushing it as it is).

Where do you live? He usually plays two-to-three nights in each city, to try to allow everyone who wants to see it see it.

Just here in the tri-state area, he played Madison Square Garden (NY) four or five times, Nassau Colliseum (NY) twice, Izod Center (NJ) twice, and the XL Center (CT).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »
Dogs is a great song.  "Animals" is not only my favorite PF cd, but one of my favorite cd's period

I've always loved the quiet part in "Dogs" where you hear the dogs barking, then they run it through the vocoder, so the chords on the keyboards are barking.  Those guys were nuts.