Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 165079 times)

Offline Mechanix1911

Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #245 on: November 21, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »
pink floyd good man hehehehe yes man !!!  :loser: best heheheh =) ^^^^ =Đ  :corn ??? :hat

I like Dogs really really much actually.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2010, 08:27:59 PM »
Okay, Dark Side is definately my favourite album of all time.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: November 24, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
I was listening to some earlier Floyd the other day and I can honestly say there's almost nothing about Ummagumma that I like.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
I like the live stuff on Ummagumma a lot.  The individual studio experiments are hit or miss.

Okay, Dark Side is definately my favourite album of all time.

It was mine for a long time, too.  When it first came out, there was nothing else like it anywhere.  There's a reason it set records for sitting the longest at number one.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
Dark Side, Wish and Animals all the way, I really hate The Wall.
To each his own.  I'll think about that in two weeks when I'm in the 15th row watching the show.

Well, despite my distaste for the album, I'm still jealous :P
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
Saw Roger Waters in concert last night at the Staples Center performing THE WALL! Saw him a couple years back doing The Darkside of the Moon at the Hollywood Bowl.  Both were outstanding concerts.  Of course, last night I had my Pink Floyd shirt on, but had a DT zip-up on too...had to represent the best of both worlds (especially since I have a PF tattoo on my right side and a DT tattoo on my left side).  :metal
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
To each his own.  I'll think about that in two weeks when I'm in the 15th row watching the show.

Well, despite my distaste for the album, I'm still jealous :P

I'm jealous too, that's sounds awesome!!!  :tup

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
:omg:  No!  Never start with a compilation.  All you're getting is someone else's idea of their "best of". 

Pink Floyd took a lot of care to craft their albums as cohesive endeavors.  To not start by listening to an album, end-to-end, is to miss out on a lot of what made Pink Floyd so great.
I don't know. It worked for me. I now know all their catalogue and PF is my second favourite band. I remember, though, that the first time I listened to "Time" I hated it... I couldn't handle the intro. Then I bought DSOTM and well, you know.

But OK, as for the first CD someone should start: Either "Meddle" or "Wish You Were Here"

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2010, 06:10:19 PM »
:omg:  No!  Never start with a compilation.  All you're getting is someone else's idea of their "best of". 

Pink Floyd took a lot of care to craft their albums as cohesive endeavors.  To not start by listening to an album, end-to-end, is to miss out on a lot of what made Pink Floyd so great.
I don't know. It worked for me. I now know all their catalogue and PF is my second favourite band. I remember, though, that the first time I listened to "Time" I hated it... I couldn't handle the intro. Then I bought DSOTM and well, you know.

But OK, as for the first CD someone should start: Either "Meddle" or "Wish You Were Here"

Absolutely LOVE "Fearless" off the Meddle album.  And I'd agree, but then again it depends on the type of music the person is already in to and a fan of, you know?
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
You know what album doesn't get enough love?  Obscured By Clouds. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
I totally agree.

I'm just popping into this thread to say that I was listening to Opeth's Burden, and the guitar solo sounds SO floyd.  Like, way too close.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »
I totally agree.

I'm just popping into this thread to say that I was listening to Opeth's Burden, and the guitar solo sounds SO floyd.  Like, way too close.

Conspiracy! :dangerwillrobinson:

But yeah, OBC needs love.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »
Exactly this. You have great Floyd taste.  :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
Best band ever. Very few bands can even compare to their greatness.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »

That makes three of us.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2010, 07:26:22 PM »

That makes three of us.
Four actually.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »

That makes three of us.
Four actually.

The Wall is definitely the weakest of the 70s albums, but I still think it's pretty good for what it is, so I guess I half-count here?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »
The Wall is definitely the weakest of the 70s albums, but I still think it's pretty good for what it is, so I guess I half-count here?

Sooooo...in your opinion:

Atom Heart Mother > The Wall
Meddle > The Wall
Obscured By Clouds > The Wall

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2010, 07:35:19 PM »

Meddle > The Wall

-Marc.

AHM is a 70s album? Woops, my bad. OK TW is a bit better than it.
Meddle is far superior to the Wall.
I wasn't counting OBC since it's a soundtrack.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »

Meddle > The Wall

-Marc.

AHM is a 70s album? Woops, my bad. OK TW is a bit better than it.
Meddle is far superior to the Wall.
I wasn't counting OBC since it's a soundtrack.

AHM came out in 1970, so I suppose it counts. I count OBC (and More) because it seems the band counts them in their discography themselves, at least AFAIK, I've seen TDSOTM referred to as their 8th album (which would count both More and OBC).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2010, 10:11:35 PM »
The great thing about The Wall is that it is comprised of very untraditional songs and the music portray a story.  Every little bass line, every bit of each guitar solo, every little nuance has a message behind it.  While something Meddle is a great album I find that it lacks that depth.  It is rather bland in comparison.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2010, 11:45:20 PM »
The great thing about The Wall is that it is comprised of very untraditional songs and the music portray a story.  Every little bass line, every bit of each guitar solo, every little nuance has a message behind it.  While something Meddle is a great album I find that it lacks that depth.  It is rather bland in comparison.

They may have tried to go for something like that, but many of the songs were just not given enough attention and ended up becoming filler tracks that really served no purpose.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »
Hogwash.  Every single song on The Wall serves a purpose.  If you read and understand the whole story, this will become very clear. :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2010, 12:12:30 AM »
Hogwash.  Every single song on The Wall serves a purpose.  If you read and understand the whole story, this will become very clear. :)

Songs like "Vera", "Stop!", "Is There Anybody Out There?" and "Outside the Wall" don't really add much of anything to the story, although I do like the music in "ITAOT?". Also, while I like the song for humor reasons, "The Trial" is just a huge waste of time lyrically.
space cadet, pull out.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »
I wrote a paper on The Wall and know the story inside and out, but after 30+ years, it's just not as compelling a story as it once was.  I'll take Meddle over The Wall, but probably not Atom Heart Mother.  For me I guess it's:

Animals
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon
Meddle
The Wall
Atom Heart Mother
Ummagumma

Everything else

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
Quad, I swear I don't mean this in a condescending way at all, but if you really think those things, you really have missed the whole point of the story.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »
I wrote a paper on The Wall and know the story inside and out, but after 30+ years, it's just not as compelling a story as it once was.  I'll take Meddle over The Wall, but probably not Atom Heart Mother.  For me I guess it's:

Animals
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon
Meddle
The Wall
Atom Heart Mother
Ummagumma

Everything else

My order is exactly the same.

o/
space cadet, pull out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2010, 01:04:49 AM »

The story just isn't that interesting so I can understand why the filler doesn't seem as appealing to some. Stop! has some great piano work though so I love it anyways.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2010, 09:48:33 AM »
I wrote a paper on The Wall and know the story inside and out, but after 30+ years, it's just not as compelling a story as it once was.  I'll take Meddle over The Wall, but probably not Atom Heart Mother.  For me I guess it's:

Animals
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon
Meddle
The Wall
Atom Heart Mother
Ummagumma

Everything else

My order is exactly the same.

o/

*/o

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »

Songs like "Vera", "Stop!", "Is There Anybody Out There?" and "Outside the Wall" don't really add much of anything to the story, although I do like the music in "ITAOT?". Also, while I like the song for humor reasons, "The Trial" is just a huge waste of time lyrically.
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh qué?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #275 on: December 04, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »

The story just isn't that interesting so I can understand why the filler doesn't seem as appealing to some

Okay, but:

a) How can something that doesn't exist, filler, not appeal to someone?  I am serious.  There is zero filler on The Wall.

b) Just because you (a general "you," not you directly) don't like a song, or it doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean that it doesn't serve a purpose.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: December 04, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
I think he means it a filler musically, not lyrically, there are weaker songs on the album that can be classified as obvious fillers.
But yeah they all serve a purpose, story is dull though.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #277 on: December 04, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
Funny, those songs that some might consider to filler are some of the most memorable parts of the album. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
Funny, those songs that some might consider to filler are some of the most memorable parts of the album. 
Yeah there are plenty of high points, but the gentler ones that give you a breather serve just as much of a purpose as you'd think "Comfortably Numb" or "Hey You" would.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2010, 01:37:51 PM »
I've often slagged off The Wall for being one of the more overrated albums of any artist (I still like it though), but I haven't listened to the entire thing in years. I should probably give it a chance again, but the problem is, when I think of The Wall, I think of an album that is just too damn long and does not interest me enough (musically) to want to devote the time to it.

I probably should though.