Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 165175 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1225 on: May 30, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Personally, I wish my entertainers would stick to entertaining.  Just because someone has a huge platform doesn't mean they have the capacity to use it correctly or intelligently.  That goes for Nugent, Springsteen, Bono, Tim Robbins or any other entertainer.  Stick to your craft.  You don't tell me who I should vote for.  I won't tell you how to sing or act.

You know, if any of them wants to attend a rally, tape a commercial, or even campaign for someone, I don't care. But if I pay money for a ticket to a performance and then it becomes part of the performance, that's where I draw the line.

Well said (by both of you). :tup :tup

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1226 on: May 31, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »
Then again, there is one entertainer who I wish would would be more politically responsible and less entertaining.  He uses words like "bigly" and writes using words like "covfefe". 

But, I don't want to totally de-rail this thread.  So, I'll stop here.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1227 on: May 31, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
We need to get back on track, bigly.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1228 on: May 31, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
You asked for it.

I like Side One of Meddle more than Side Two.

"Echoes" is cool, but if you're sober that middle section just goes on too damned long.  The songs on Side One are all good.  Yes, even "Seamus" and even "San Tropez" (which is my favorite).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1229 on: May 31, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
Are you sure you're of sound mind?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1230 on: May 31, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
That's the problem.  When I'm baked, "Echoes" is a fucking masterpiece.  When I'm of sound mind, I like the versus well enough, but the middle section just drags.  Meanwhile, I can always listen to Side One.  Nowadays of course, it's CD or iPod, in which case I just press Play, and I noticed recently that I stop when I get to "Echoes" at least half the time.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1231 on: May 31, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
As embarrassing as it probably is to admit, I've never gotten baked in my life. So when I read about how Pink Floyd is an amazing band to check out when under the influence, especially that particular era of the band, I always find myself wondering if I'm missing out or not. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1232 on: May 31, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
I HAVE been baked, and drunk, and I much prefer Floyd sober. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1233 on: May 31, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »
I don't know. Baked Pink Floyd looks pretty good.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1234 on: May 31, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
I don't know. Baked Pink Floyd looks pretty good.

That does look appetizing, but it's missing the flying pig from Animals...
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1235 on: May 31, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
If you were stoned, you'd be able to see it! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1236 on: May 31, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »
One of these days is the only song on side one of Meddle that I really like. Side two is where it's at for me.  :hefdaddy

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1237 on: June 01, 2017, 01:02:42 AM »
One of these days is the only song on side one of Meddle that I really like. Side two is where it's at for me.  :hefdaddy

I read an old interview back in the 90s that went something like, the band is aware of the fact that only half of Meddle sounds like the Pink Floyd most people come to think of from TDSotM onward.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1238 on: June 01, 2017, 05:14:01 AM »
That's the problem.  When I'm baked, "Echoes" is a fucking masterpiece.  When I'm of sound mind, I like the versus well enough, but the middle section just drags.  Meanwhile, I can always listen to Side One.  Nowadays of course, it's CD or iPod, in which case I just press Play, and I noticed recently that I stop when I get to "Echoes" at least half the time.

I've never been baked, fried, or cooked, but still enjoy the fuck out of Echoes. It's my favorite PF song. However, I will say that the rest of Meddle is awesome, too. It's one of their most underrated albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1239 on: June 01, 2017, 06:03:59 AM »
I've never bothered to get Meddle. Hmm..

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1240 on: June 01, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »
Obviously, it's worth it for Echoes alone. A Pillow of Winds and Fearless are beautiful. The other songs are really good, too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: June 01, 2017, 07:03:15 AM »
Fearless. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1242 on: June 01, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »

I read an old interview back in the 90s that went something like, the band is aware of the fact that only half of Meddle sounds like the Pink Floyd most people come to think of from TDSotM onward.

That's probably true.  They used to write songs, and have albums with songs on them, and that was good enough.  Then Waters decided that every album had to have a grand unifying concept to it, which is a lofty goal, and the next several albums were great because of it, but there's still nothing wrong with just creating albums with regular songs.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1243 on: June 01, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
That's probably true.  They used to write songs, and have albums with songs on them, and that was good enough.  Then Waters decided that every album had to have a grand unifying concept to it, which is a lofty goal, and the next several albums were great because of it, but there's still nothing wrong with just creating albums with regular songs.
Absolutely. That's what makes Piper, A Saucerful of secrets and Atom heart mother such good albums.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1244 on: June 02, 2017, 05:36:54 AM »
Absolutely. That's what makes Piper, A Saucerful of secrets and Atom heart mother such good albums.

Three exceedingly underrated albums.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1245 on: June 02, 2017, 07:17:28 AM »
Listening to the new Waters album. I dunno, while it has some good moments, it feels like he's covering his old songs. For a 25 year gap, I was hoping for some musical evolution.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: June 02, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
Good assessment. Haven't heard all of it, like what I have heard to an extent, think it's largely good, better than some of his other solo work. Still impressive a man his age can put out a quality product, having not written an album in 25 years.

And there is plenty wrong with Piper and Atom Heart Mother.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1247 on: June 02, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
What's wrong with Piper? It's such a unique mix of psychedelic and experimental rock mixed with beatles like pop.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: June 02, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
Personal preference. Though to be fair, I will try and give it a good listen this weekend, it has been a while for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1249 on: June 03, 2017, 02:59:25 AM »
I'm enjoying the new Roger Waters album so far. The second half kind of loses me, but the first half comes across as pretty gritty and in-your-face. Picture that and the title track are very menacing and intense.

Online Fritzinger

« Reply #1250 on: June 03, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »
Listening to the new Waters album. I dunno, while it has some good moments, it feels like he's covering his old songs. For a 25 year gap, I was hoping for some musical evolution.

You serious? :D From a 70 year old? :D

I think it's a very good album. Sure, sometimes you think you're listening to Mother or Amused To Death, but the overall album ist great imho.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: June 06, 2017, 09:42:26 PM »
I think it's a very good album. Sure, sometimes you think you're listening to Mother or Amused To Death, but the overall album ist great imho.

I'm pretty excited to get it, is it safe to assume it's a concept album?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1252 on: June 07, 2017, 02:11:50 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out the concept, but I think there's a shift in the storyline after the track. It seems to me like it turns into a love story, could it be about his recent divorce? I could be waaaaaaay off, though.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1253 on: June 07, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
Personally, I wish my entertainers would stick to entertaining.  Just because someone has a huge platform doesn't mean they have the capacity to use it correctly or intelligently.  That goes for Nugent, Springsteen, Bono, Tim Robbins or any other entertainer.  Stick to your craft.  You don't tell me who I should vote for.  I won't tell you how to sing or act.

You know, if any of them wants to attend a rally, tape a commercial, or even campaign for someone, I don't care. But if I pay money for a ticket to a performance and then it becomes part of the performance, that's where I draw the line.

I do not understand this at all. If you've gone decades listening to Pink Floyd never feeling like they've been challenging the way you think - I'm sorry - you've never listened to Pink Floyd. Waters is certainly lacking subtlety that he's never been particularly known for to begin with, but these latest statements should come as no huge surprise.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: June 07, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »
Spot on Skeever.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Fritzinger

« Reply #1255 on: June 07, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »

I'm pretty excited to get it, is it safe to assume it's a concept album?

I think yes, though I don't know what the actual concept is about. He mentions a lot of political stuff though.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1256 on: June 07, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »

I do not understand this at all. If you've gone decades listening to Pink Floyd never feeling like they've been challenging the way you think - I'm sorry - you've never listened to Pink Floyd. Waters is certainly lacking subtlety that he's never been particularly known for to begin with, but these latest statements should come as no huge surprise.

Respectfully, I think you understand it pretty well. Note you said "subtlety." Waters hasn't shown any. There's a line for me, just like there is for TAC and others. It's hard to pinpoint it, but you know it when you see it. I was going to Waters' show this month in my area. I sold my ticket after hearing it is basically an anti-Trump rally. That wasn't the primary reason (I had plans made after buying it that are more important to me than the concert), but it heavily contributed to it. And...I'm NO FAN of Trump. Did not vote for him, do not like him and how he conducts himself. And I know, obviously, Roger's political leanings and that he can be extremely overt.

But there comes a point where things get to be overboard, where you need to just draw the line in the sand and say "no more." I saw Roger Waters put on the most incredible concert I have ever seen when he did The Wall. Just visually spectacular. Greatest thing I have ever seen. It was incredible. It led to me buying a ticket to his current performance last November for a show this month, and spending a good sum to do it. But he's lost me because of how overt he is being.

I go to a show to immerse myself in the music and lose touch with "the real world" for a while. I'm not naive, I realize some things are said and referenced during the shows I see all the time (Living Colour comes to mind immediately). But there's just a personal line for me, and for many people where it goes overboard. Roger has done that. I respect him as a musician and songwriter, and I admire his passion for issues he feels deeply about. But I wasn't attending a show to immerse myself in a political rally. I was going to sing along to songs I love and see a visually stunning show.  Roger went to far, so I bowed out, without regret, and without bias to the future (well, if he ever came around again, and that is a big IF, given his age, I actually wouldn't buy a ticket immediately -- I'd wait and see what the show is like first, so there is a pinch of bias).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: June 07, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »
Well Samsara I think this is truly the first time anyone has presented an argument against Waters that I can respect, hats off! But that's really usual of you.
I disagree with your overall point, but that's just a matter of personal taste though. I wouldn't want my entertainment to be meaningless disconnect from the real world, I like it to help me take a break from seeing the real world in it's raw dry ugly form and have me lost in the artistic take on it. Not that I don't like some solid silly entertainment, but there's plenty of that to go around.
Also I think Roger Waters opinions on Zionism are very humanitarian, not just "extreme leftist" views. I actually just saw an interview where someone asked him if he got rid of The Wall touring set/stage and he said he didn't cause he promised his Israeli friends to do a one off/last performance of The Wall in Israel if they change their apartheid policies and remove the segregation wall in the West bank.
If you guys wanna continue discussing Waters politics I'd really appreciate it if we please take it to P&R, there's a lot of good musical discussion on this thread and I wouldn't wanna muddy it, please.

I'm still trying to figure out the concept, but I think there's a shift in the storyline after the track. It seems to me like it turns into a love story, could it be about his recent divorce? I could be waaaaaaay off, though.

Good, if there's no clear concept I can throw the album in a shuffle playlist with Rattle That Lock, which I haven't heard yet either, and pretend it's the new Pink Floyd album :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:30:12 PM by Progmetty »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1258 on: June 07, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
The second half of the album is slighty more subtle lyrically, but it could still very well follow the same concept. I just need to dig deeper into those words and try to interpret them. The lyrics that are obvious and more direct, however, are mostly good, but as much as I support Roger's expression and admire his passionate activism, the preachiness does get a bit too much sometimes. It didn't bother me at first, but I'm kind of starting to see the line as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: June 08, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »

Spot on Skeever.

Not exactly spot on, though.   I have been VERY challenged by Pink Floyd, but there has been as much personally and intimately challenging about it as there has been overt political reference.  Even the two political "biggies", Animals and The Final Cut, have a personal aspect to them that make them touch.   Maybe it's just me, but the "Liberal/Conservative" aspect of A and TFC aren't the points that stick with me.   It's the way that the macro - the politics - and the micro - the personal - touch.   Politics - of either stripe - kill people (in this case, Eric Waters).   The subtitle - on the album cover - of TFC is "A Requiem".  That's a remembrance of the dead.  THAT'S what that was about, not the "politics of Great Britain".    And when you set those albums in the context of The Wall, WYWH, and DSOTM, you have an INCREDIBLY personal experience.   THAT'S why Floyd touched all those hearts, not because there are a million fans that love Roger's socialism.