Author Topic: Heretic's Song Roulette 2 - ROUND 2 RESULTS ARE FINALLY IN!  (Read 9072 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette 2: This Time It's Personal - SIGNUPS!
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »
I am actually not familiar with any of the roulette games, so if you think those would be fun to employ here, shoot me a message so I can ask some questions, haha.

You should get a feel for how hangman works once Sacul starts one for his first round. :)
Also have Ariich send you his hangman spreadsheet. It works wonderfully!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
I think we got ghosted.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »
And on a Friday. The ultimate blue balls!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2020, 08:15:14 PM »
My 27 minutes of Moonsorrow killed him.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2020, 08:30:06 PM »
:censored I knew I should have sent them first.... :facepalm:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2020, 08:40:48 PM »
:censored I knew I should have sent them first.... :facepalm:

:heart Well, it won't matter if we never get results. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2020, 08:53:05 PM »
what's most exciting for me is that i don't know which of the 8 artists i sent is even getting scored this round  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2020, 08:54:35 PM »
what's most exciting for me is that i don't know which of the 8 artists i sent is even getting scored this round  :metal

Not sure anything's getting scored this round. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2020, 08:55:32 PM »
maybe  :rollin

Offline 425

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2020, 08:58:00 PM »
Let's just score it ourselves

Cyril: East of the Wall - The Apologist
4/10
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2020, 09:03:50 PM »
Why don't we just all post our own submissions (except Cyril, I guess) and score each others? Here's mine. ;D

MOONSORROW
Jumalten Aika - https://open.spotify.com/track/6hTPW3x7Em9pniWAQv3244?si=w28sbDNKQ4usP5qrvTLEvA
Ruttolehto Sis. Päivättömän Päivän Kansa - https://open.spotify.com/track/6kKwZEcfeQyFt9YZm5rs6j?si=T9eRlDssSZiJGTRUSe0QDQ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2020, 09:11:54 PM »
Should I listen? I don't want to snipe a future submission in my roulette. :lol

Here's what I sent though:  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0TbT1KsRHNYOz66VhRlDZE

The Plot in You - Pillhead and Better Vibes. Pretty nice combo in my opinion.

Offline 425

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2020, 09:14:58 PM »
I saw a Nightwish-shaped hole in the banned list and reached immediately for Ghost Love Floor. Paired it with The Islander to go for maximum contrast, and because I love The Islander.

Ghost Love Score (Live at Wacken 2013) - https://open.spotify.com/track/6Paon2GSO2btqO6qmS6hSE?si=D2MHAedNRKW_Y4lifJnItg
The Islander - https://open.spotify.com/track/2AxSY5XSCrm1fDq5U9IaRn?si=Lms7lbD5TAO2mRPyRqJrrA
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
I love Floor, but I've never been able to get into the Tarja era stuff. Can't argue with The Islander, though. Probably the best song on Dark Passion Play that isn't called Dark Passion Play.

Offline 425

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »
I love Floor, but I've never been able to get into the Tarja era stuff. Can't argue with The Islander, though. Probably the best song on Dark Passion Play that isn't called Dark Passion Play.

Do you mean The Poet and the Pendulum, or is there a joke I'm missing?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2020, 09:30:26 PM »
No, you're right. I think it's the best song but apparently I can't even remember what it's called.  :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2020, 09:34:55 PM »
Should I listen? I don't want to snipe a future submission in my roulette. :lol

Fair point.  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2020, 09:37:18 PM »
No, you're right. I think it's the best song but apparently I can't even remember what it's called.  :lol

That's a reasonable mistake, since the album title comes from its lyrics! I'd definitely agree with choosing TPATP as the best song on that album. I just wanted to show off a different side of the band, which is why I went with The Islander to pair with what I agree with most people is the clear best Nightwish choice.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2020, 10:04:47 PM »
Let's just score it ourselves

Cyril: East of the Wall - The Apologist
4/10
there's a 1 in 8 chance this is accurate, yes

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2020, 10:17:21 PM »
LOL fuckin' hell guys :rollin I was attempting to see if I could incorporate one of the roulette games, but at this point I'm just going to drop that entirely. Results in like, 30 minutes :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2020, 10:18:46 PM »
Nice. I sent Nine Inch Nails :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2020, 10:21:52 PM »
LOL fuckin' hell guys :rollin I was attempting to see if I could incorporate one of the roulette games, but at this point I'm just going to drop that entirely. Results in like, 30 minutes :biggrin:
No pressure, just giving you shit. Like most roulette participants do to hosts. Although mostly its us giving shit to TAC :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2020, 10:53:36 PM »
don't play games. games are lames

Offline 425

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2020, 10:58:11 PM »
No pressure, just giving you shit. Like most roulette participants do to hosts. Although mostly its us giving shit to TAC :lol

I mix things up by mostly giving shit to Cyril instead. :P

Why don't we just all post our own submissions (except Cyril, I guess) and score each others? Here's mine. ;D

Looks like we're getting real results soon, but, hey, well, since I did this anyway... (no numerical scores since I'm bad enough with those when I have multiple listens, let alone one)

MOONSORROW
Jumalten Aika - https://open.spotify.com/track/6hTPW3x7Em9pniWAQv3244?si=w28sbDNKQ4usP5qrvTLEvA
Ruttolehto Sis. Päivättömän Päivän Kansa - https://open.spotify.com/track/6kKwZEcfeQyFt9YZm5rs6j?si=T9eRlDssSZiJGTRUSe0QDQ

I am definitely not a black metal person, but I liked these songs better than I like most black metally things. Things were decently melodic and there were a number of interesting sections. I thought the folk element was a nice touch without being overbearing or jarring. If I ever become interested in spending more time with the genre, this band seems like a good place to start. Good atmosphere, good sense of progression over the course of these long tracks.

Here's what I sent though:  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0TbT1KsRHNYOz66VhRlDZE

The Plot in You - Pillhead and Better Vibes. Pretty nice combo in my opinion.

I wasn't as crazy about this. I thought the second song was decent, definitely had its moments, including some strong vocal ones. But I am sensitive to lyrics sometimes and I really hated the ones on the first song. This is probably good for someone who's into hardcore-ish stuff, but that's not really my bag most of the time.
And if spirit's a sign,

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2020, 11:00:37 PM »
MOONSORROW

I am definitely not a black metal person, but I liked these songs better than I like most black metally things. Things were decently melodic and there were a number of interesting sections. I thought the folk element was a nice touch without being overbearing or jarring. If I ever become interested in spending more time with the genre, this band seems like a good place to start. Good atmosphere, good sense of progression over the course of these long tracks.
Heck yes! We may have another Moonsorrow convert! Definitely check out the albums Verisakeet and V.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette 2: This Time It's Personal - ROUND 1 RESULTS!
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2020, 11:16:49 PM »
Alright lads, here's the results. A lot of strong contenders this round -- and if your track didn't rank quite as highly as you expected, there's still a shit ton of rounds to go :heart

ROUND ONE

---
The Plot in You: Pillhead / Better Vibes
Shadow Ninja 2.0

The first song started off a bit cringy for me, but the vocals kept building in a way that reminded me of Silent Planet, a band I quite enjoy. I was a fan of how the intensity seemed to be building, but then it would kind of disappear -- it was very erratic and didn't seem to have a consistent sound throughout, but it was definitely engaging overall. Despite that, it didn't strike me as something I'd want to add to my collection, but thankfully the next song improved upon that impression! 2.5/5

Better Vibes really lived up to its namesake because it certainly had an improved vibe throughout. The melodic elements were very welcome - was more reminiscent of post-hardcore. The melodies were quite catchy, and the general atmosphere of the song was excellent. I quite liked this one. 3.75/5
---

Caligula's Horse: Graves / Salt
ariich

I am only somewhat familiar with Caligula's Horse, having listened to a couple of their songs on the fringe, and their most recent album a record one time. I must admit it was not a super thorough listen, as I was working while listening to it, so this was a good chance to reacquaint myself with their sound. The first song "Graves" you described as one of their best songs, and an epic, so I was unquestionably interested to see how this one would pan out.

Overall, it was very melodic, so already a positive. The instrumentation was quite well-done, with the part around 5 minutes in being utterly fantastic. The one thing that was a bit off-putting, which I assume was my original issue with CH, is the vocalist doesn't really stand out -- his voice is solid, but it doesn't amaze me in the way that Tommy Karevik or OG Labrie or even Spencer Sotelo (I know some may disagree with this :D) does. The chorus was not quite as explosive and catchy as I felt the song was begging for, either. Despite that -- I absolutely ADORED the section around 6:50, and you knowing my immense love of Haken's a capella and multiple harmonies sections might have given you favor in that regard. Regardless, the vocals were certainly not that big of a detriment overall, because the song had solid transitions, excellent rhythm, and it left a very positive impression on me. 4/5

"Salt" started out with a beautiful piano intro, and then transitioned into a section that sounded like it could be right at home on Haken's Visions. The vocals were better on this for me than the previous song as well, perhaps the melodies suited him better? I wanted to start singing the intro to a couple times, so I understand the Haken comparisons. The section around 3:30 where the song slows down was a genuinely nice touch, and the melodies here were quite strong. A really solid song overall, one I actually have heard before, but didn't really recall. Makes me want to revisit their discography. 4/5
---

Moonsorrow: Jumalten Aika / ruttolehto Sis Paivattoman Paivan Kansa
Buddyhunter1

Interestingly enough, I have listened to Moonsorrow before, but only here and there. I figured their sound would be one I enjoyed, and I honestly expected someone to send them at some point during the roulette anyways, haha!
The first track was a pretty standard black/folk metal combo, with excellent riffs, a nice woodlands atmosphere, and powerful harsh vocals that fit the instrumentation quite well. I loved how suddenly the harsh vocals came in after the intro, and the composition of the song, despite being long, was interesting enough to keep me engaged throughout its runtime. 4/5

The second track was pretty much in the same vein for me, but they definitely have a sound that they stick to, so it wasn't really anything detrimental. I enjoyed the listen for this one, but by the end of the track I couldn't really emphasize one part that really caught my attention or had me absolutely floored. Despite that, it was an enjoyable black metal affair, and I definitely need to become more acquainted with their music. 3.5/5
---

Monica Heldal: Boy from the North / Follow You Anywhere
The Walrus

The first song, "Boy from the North," truly had some gorgeous melodies. Monica's voice isn't one that I typically enjoy, but it wasn't too grating for me, it rather fit the tone fairly well. I didn't like it as much when she increased her volume -- I felt like the more quiet, softer tonality fit her voice a lot better. The instrumentation was excellent, and the overall atmosphere of the song had a bit of a "campfire" feeling to it, so it felt somewhat nostalgic. Definitely quite a beautiful song, though, and definitely not something typically up my alley, so kudos for that. I felt like it ended up overstaying its welcome a bit, though -- I would have ended it at around the three-minute mark personally. 3.5/5

"Follow You Anywhere" continues in the same vein, being mostly acoustic and containing some lovely melodies. Again, the vocals don't suit my taste very well, and I felt like the lyrics here were a bit weaker than in "Boy." Overall, the more positive tone to the song paired with the once-again solid instrumentation made it an enjoyable, if rather forgettable, listen. 3/5
---

Sweet Billy Pilgrim: Just Above Midtown / A Shelter of Reeds
HOF

"Just Above Midtown" started off with quite a nice groove, and that continued throughout the track. The melodies were strong, and overall, it just felt very eclectic and unique. Really loved the occasional piano chords in the background. Overall an enjoyable, exciting, catchy track. Awesome. 4/5

"A Shelter of Reeds" started off quietly, piano chords played somberly in the background. The female vocalist did not add much to the song for me -- I really enjoyed the original vocalist, and was excited to hear more of him, so having her interspersed throughout the track kind of brought it down a bit for me. After a quick bit of research, it was made apparent that she is an integral member of the band, so I was a bit offput by that, not being a huge fan of her overall sound.

The instrumentation meandered a bit, as if the song was drifting, and I actually quite liked that. It added an atmosphere that felt like a slow-burn, and when it began building, I was drawn, once again, to the strong harmonics. The orchestration in the background was a thoughtful addition and kept my attention throughout the track. Oddly enough, parts of it felt a lot like modern Biffy Clyro to me, in a strange way. I did feel a bit letdown overall, as the build-up seemed to promise a bit more of a climax than was offered by the conclusion of the track.  3.25/5
---

Obsidian Kingdom: Last of the Light / Away Absent
Elite

Wow, wow, wow. This first track, it was just absolutely stunning. I have always been meaning to give these guys a listen but have never gotten around to it. The vocals are ferocious, the music fast-paced, and the atmosphere crushing at first -- but it all shifts into a much more melodic, jazz-y cavalcade of instrumentation. The soundscape created is just absolutely enthralling. The ability to shift back and forth from black metal, to post metal, to post rock, to jazz, and all within 4-and-a-half minutes without seeming disjointed or interrupting the flow makes me give a ton of credit to this work. Really just fantastic. 5/5

The second track didn’t' do QUITE as much for me as the first one. The vocals sounded a bit grainier and not quite as powerful as in Last of the Light. It kept a lot of the things I loved from the first track, but it didn't quite reach its highs. Despite that, still a really nice track, and I'm definitely allured to the band now. 3.75/5
---

Nightwish: The Islander / Ghost Love Score

Nightwish has always been one of those "oh, yeah, them!" kind of bands for me. The few tracks I have heard have been pleasant, but nothing that overwhelmingly drew me into the music, making me yearn for me, so I was excited to see if these picks could potentially change that.

The Islander begins with what strikes me as a folk metal-inspired intro, something that I reasonably enjoy. The vocals that come in here are not remarkable, but they are quite solid, and I really love the harmonies that are weaved throughout the track. Interestingly enough, while I don’t particularly love the female vocals on the second track, the way they blend with the first vocalist in this track is much more pleasant for me. The atmosphere is appealing, and overall I really enjoyed it! 3.75/5

Ghost Love Score starts out with quite a bang, lots of orchestration and a nice focus on melody. Unfortunately, I am just incredibly picky with female vocals. There's only a handful of female vocalists that I absolutely adore, and this one does not reach the heights of those. It is definitely not a bad voice, of course, but it's just not the style that I really enjoy -- but the accompaniment is quite nice. The melodies are all quite excellent, and the dynamics are enjoyable as well. It is quite a fun romp throughout, and again, I love the instrumentation, and the way that the song ends is extraordinarily compelling, love the ending. Just couldn’t quite get into the vocalist. 3.5/5
---

Faith No More: Everything's Ruined / A Small Victory
Stadler

Another band that I can say "hey, I've listened to a few of their songs!" without truly exploring their discography.
Everything’s Ruined started off with a dissonant piano, building into some engaging guitar riffs, and then into the verse. The atmosphere at this point was very tense, and I was enjoying the vocals, but the advent of the spoken verse was quite grating for me. I’m not a fan of nu-metal, and though this isn’t exactly in that vein, it was certainly less enjoyable than the chorus, which I enjoyed. Luckily, the entire song was not comprised of that, and as such it was an interesting listen. The guitar solo was very melodic and memorable, and as the overall tone of the song shifted, I enjoyed what it had to offer. 3.25/5

I was quite taken by the intro of A Small Victory – from the first major note, it had my attention. What followed was an overall enjoyable listen, and whilst the occasional spoken vocals weren’t my favorite, the overarching vibe of the song was just, admittedly, a ton of fun, so it ended up a bit higher than the first track for me. 3.5/5
---

Sunless Dawn: Biomorph / Sovereign
Cyril

Man, you weren't wrong in your PM saying you thought I'd enjoy this band, haha. Listening to just those two tracks prompted me to listen to the entire album, so, if that's not a clear sign than I'm not sure what could be.

Biomorph is a three-part suite, but I felt fine including it as one piece as I stated time length was not a factor here. Everything is excellent in this suite, and it is quite the display. Excellent melodies, beautiful orchestration at times, crushing riffs, oustanding drumming, and a  powerful vocal performance. I really loved the occasional synths, and even the lyrics were very interesting. Overall, it really hit the sweet spots that my taste really loves. A fantastic send. 4.5/5

Sovereign has the same strengths that the rest of the album holds, and while maybe not as diverse as the "suite", it is still quite powerful in its own right, and kept my engagement throughout the song. Again, the excellent riffs, the melodic focus, and the variety throughout the song are things that helped it stand out from other songs this round.   4.5/5
---

Ereb Altor: A Fine Day to Die / With Fire in My Heart
TAC

The first track started off quite promising – I’m a huge fan of slow builds, and while admittedly I’m not a huge fan of doom metal, I really enjoyed the atmosphere created by the intro. When the riffage exploded, though – that was when the song got truly interesting for me. I was reminded a bit of classic Opeth, a bit of Bathory, all of which are huge positives in my book. The clean vocals were okay, nothing to write home about, nor comparable to someone like Akerfeldt, but they were passable. The harsher vocals, however, were excellent, reminiscent of old-school black metal, and I would’ve been keen to have heard more of them throughout the track. The instrumentation, while not exceedingly technical or mind-blowing, was still quite proficient, and I was not surprised at all to learn the group was Swedish – it shines through the music! Generally, the riffing got a bit repetitive, so I was struck by the moments where they departed from the overarching rhythm, like during the guitar solo. Overall, an excellent track. 4.25/5

With Fire in My Heart starts out similarly to the first track, though with a more foreboding tone, a bit more sorrowful. Again, similarly to the prior track, it builds into a faster-paced affair with a heavy focus on melody. I am a huge fan of the mixture of harsh and clean vocals at once, it always adds a certain amount of weight to music, making the vocals feel more powerful. There’s a lot of similarities here to folk metal, and it was another solid outing – both tracks make me want to check out more of the band’s work for sure. 3.5/5
---

Der Weg einer Freiheit: Ein letzter Tanz / Skepsis
Puppies_on_Acid

The first track started out with a melancholy intro that I really enjoyed – it created an immensely somber, wandering feeling, something that I usually quite dig in any song. I did feel as though it almost dragged a bit too long, but that’s always subjective.
As soon as the riffs and drums hit, though, I was floored. In came the absolutely crushing harsh vocals, not much else to say about them – they’re outstanding. The blending of black metal and post metal is just done so cohesively here (not that the two genres are THAT far apart, after all). That, paired with the more ambling ambient sections just creates a track that entices me to download their entire discography. The second closest anything has come in this round to absolute perfection in terms of my taste. 4.75/5

Skepsis, pt. 1 and pt. 2 are separate tracks, but you mentioned they were supposed to be paired together, so I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt! The intro of pt. 1 is incredibly chaotic and crushing, and after hearing their first track, I’m not surprised that this piece is incredible. The vocals, again, fit the music to a tee, and the instrumentation is just colossal. The piece definitely needs to be heard as a whole, as pt. 1 doesn’t quite have a resolution. The second part, again, is just outstanding. Can’t really find much to complain about with either of the tracks from these guys, fantastic send! 4.5/5
---

Nine Inch Nails: The Wretched / Hurt 
Sacul

Alright, well, this one might be a little unfair, as I have heard both of these tracks (Hurt extensively). Despite that, I decided not to include any bands whom I had heard a bit of, because I was hoping people would send things that would make me raise my eyebrow and say "huh, why didn't I give these guys more of my attention?!"

That being said, I do not really recall anything about The Wretched. Listening to it again, I like the off-putting sound the instrumentation provides, but I am not big on the spoken vocals in the beginning. This trend continues throughout the track, and despite some interesting electronic stuff and an overall enjoyable atmosphere, I just can’t quite overlook my distaste of the vocals here. 2.5/5

Luckily, Hurt doesn’t follow the same vocal trend. Being a huge fan of the original Johnny Cash version, and having heard this once or twice before, I knew mostly what to expect going in. The atmosphere is just fantastic here, and though the vocals aren’t a strong point, they fit the unnerving feeling that the song strives to convey. A wonderful track, all things considered – I know it is a cover, but NIN really stands to make it their own here, and it works out pretty damn well. 4/5
---

Paradise Lost: Death Unites Us / No Hope in Sight
Tomislav95

You were correct in stating that I've heard of these guys, but I couldn't honestly name a song or a note of their music. The first track started off well, a very nice melody, and the vocals were quite strong. The way the song built was quite nice, and though it parts of it seemed a bit generic to me, I still quite enjoyed it.  3.5/5

No Hope in Sight was definitely stronger, however. I really like the melodic intro, and though again it was a bit generic at times, I dug the harsh vocals, the overall melodies, and the instrumentation was nice. I can see myself checking out an album of theirs in full, if you'd like to recommend whatever you think is their best work. Overall, a solid submission! 3.75/5
---

STANDINGS AFTER R1:

1st: Puppies on Acid - 9.25
2nd: Cyril - 9
3rd: Elite - 8.75
4th: ariich - 8
5th: TAC - 7.75
6th: Buddyhunter1 - 7.5
7th: HOF + 425 + Tomislav - 7.25
10th: Stadler - 6.75
11th: Sacul + The Walrus - 6.5
12th: Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 6.25

Let me know if there's any incorrect math here, I might have changed something here vs. in my Word doc that I didn't notice. And on to round two! Looking forward to everyone's tracks*.

*unless you are Cyril and you blew your entire song load already :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Heretic's Song Roulette 2: This Time It's Personal - ROUND 1 RESULTS
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2020, 11:34:59 PM »
DWeF was one of the bands I considered but didn't send so good on puppies for covering that base  :metal

Offline 425

Re: Heretic's Song Roulette 2: This Time It's Personal - ROUND 1 RESULTS!
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:54 PM »
Ghost Love Score starts out with quite a bang, lots of orchestration and a nice focus on melody. Unfortunately, I am just incredibly picky with female vocals. There's only a handful of female vocalists that I absolutely adore, and this one does not reach the heights of those. It is definitely not a bad voice, of course, but it's just not the style that I really enjoy -- but the accompaniment is quite nice. The melodies are all quite excellent, and the dynamics are enjoyable as well. It is quite a fun romp throughout, and again, I love the instrumentation, and the way that the song ends is extraordinarily compelling, love the ending. Just couldn’t quite get into the vocalist. 3.5/5

:o

Certainly not the reception I was expecting, to say the least! :lol This performance is renowned for the way Floor Jansen took an already-excellent song and absolutely turned it up to 11 with her performance (the song was originally recorded with a different singer). But, if you don't like her voice, you don't like her voice.

Glad you liked both songs overall, though. And if you liked the female vocals on The Islander, you should know that it's Anette Olzon, a different vocalist than the one on Ghost Love Score. She's on the Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum albums, so those might be the ones to go to if you decide to try more.
And if spirit's a sign,

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2020, 11:52:00 PM »
Seems I will continue my trend of jumping out of the gates with a bang.........and then inevitably fall farther and farther behind as the roulette goes on  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online HOF

« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2020, 12:09:16 AM »
Wait, Cash covered NIN, not the other way around!

I thought you might dig Just Above Midtown, and then I specifically wanted a second opinion on A Shelter of Reeds after The Walrus/Kattelox said it didn’t do much for him in his roulette. I can see what you’re saying about the climax, though I think it might have been a bit too obvious to really go for it at the end. A more gentle landing suits the mood and lyrics I think.

I think Jana Carpenter is a great presence in SBP, but I can see preferring Tim Elsenberg’s voice. She wasn’t part of the band originally, so you might enjoy their earlier albums more (Twice Born Men is a really good one that doesn’t feature her). She’s really only taken leads on the last two albums, although now they are a duo with just Tim and Jana so she does contribute more on their most recent album (which includes A Shelter of Reeds). I’d say it’s still about 70% Tim on lead vocals though.

Sending round two here in a minute.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:14:48 AM by HOF »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »

I thought you might dig Just Above Midtown, and then I specifically wanted a second opinion on A Shelter of Reeds after The Walrus/Kattelox said it didn’t do much for him in his roulette. I can see what you’re saying about the climax, though I think it might have been a bit too obvious to really go for it at the end. A more gentle landing suits the mood and lyrics I think.

I think Jana Carpenter is a great presence in SBP, but I can see preferring Tim Elsenberg’s voice. She wasn’t part of the band originally, so you might enjoy their earlier albums more (Twice Born Men is a really good one that doesn’t feature her). She’s really only taken leads on the last two albums, although now they are a duo with just Tim and Jana so she does contribute more on their most recent album (which includes A Shelter of Reeds). I’d say it’s still about 70% Tim on lead vocals though.

Oh, DUH, totally forgot about that. My bad, that’s how much his version does for me— it registers as his own song to me, hahah.

But yeah, I did really enjoy the songs overall— which album would you recommend as their best?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2020, 12:18:06 AM »

:o

Certainly not the reception I was expecting, to say the least! :lol This performance is renowned for the way Floor Jansen took an already-excellent song and absolutely turned it up to 11 with her performance (the song was originally recorded with a different singer). But, if you don't like her voice, you don't like her voice.

Glad you liked both songs overall, though. And if you liked the female vocals on The Islander, you should know that it's Anette Olzon, a different vocalist than the one on Ghost Love Score. She's on the Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum albums, so those might be the ones to go to if you decide to try more.

Ah yeah, I have to mention I am super picky about my favorite vocalists. But that being said, I still recognize that she is talented as can be. And thanks— I’ll try and check those albums!

Online HOF

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2020, 12:29:28 AM »

Oh, DUH, totally forgot about that. My bad, that’s how much his version does for me— it registers as his own song to me, hahah.

But yeah, I did really enjoy the songs overall— which album would you recommend as their best?

I’d recommend Motorcade Amnesiacs as a starting point for Sweet Billy Pilgrim. Probably their strongest all around even if you don’t love Jana’s voice (she has a couple leads but not many).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2020, 12:58:56 AM »
also for what it's worth the sunless dawn album is my least favorite album amongst the 8 (well, 10 technically) albums i sent you songs off of
it is a 9/10 though you're right there

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2020, 04:25:00 AM »
Okay, so the more extreme metal genres work best in this roulette :lol

Glad you enjoyed, I'm pretty sure the entire Mantiis album is right up your alley! :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey