Cyrilpop
0 (0%)
Walruspop
3 (30%)
Kevin Moore
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: November 10, 2020, 08:03:25 AM

Author Topic: Secul's spicy anti-prog miniroulette v3.5. AN UPDATE!1!!!!  (Read 51696 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
results!!
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2020, 06:20:56 PM »
Results 3/3

Stadler: Harry Styles
First impression: Although it's nothing groundbreaking, it's quite well executed

I'm surprised by how well crafted these songs are - they're simple and with a contemporary sound, plenty of hooks, and a nice amount of diversity. Watermelon Sugar is funky and lots of fun, with a infectious chorus. Then we go into a White Stripes-ish rocker with Kiwi. Not the most original song on the world but it's fun and catchy. Golden is kind of an ethereal pop track with some very cool vocal harmonies and guitars going on. Ever Since New York starts quite similar to a certain Porcupine Tree song I can't quite put my finger on, and it's the ballad of the bunch. Nothing to wow me but it's pretty and easy to listen.

Didn't really know what to expect but got some very interesting tracks from this guy. I think I'll check his second album, that's the one that had the songs I liked the most.

4/5

rondrums: Andrew Bayer
First impression: Reminds of a bit of this other artist on the genre although I dunno if it's as original

You said this is what if BT brought some sunlight to Massive Attack, and I kind of feel it's more like the other way around, as it feels a lot closer to what I know by BT (which is almost nothing :lol ). Andrew seems to make some pretty nice glitch hop and downtempo stuff, with some modern classical and IDM mixed in, which is usually a combo up my alley. And while all these tracks are very well written, they don't stand out very much in terms of style. I was vaguely reminded of Jon Hopkins here and there but Bayer is definitely a lot more melody-driven. My favorite is Need Your Love, as it goes into a bit of a different direction than the other tracks.

So yeah, a very cool listen, but not one that leaves a lasting impact on me.

3.5/5

home: Backxwash
First impression: Bombastic, intense. Good stuff.

Now this is the surprise of the round, 6 very intense tracks about religion, demons, and black magic. This is some weird hip-hop stuff as it mixes samples of Black Sabbath with very cool beats. This guy has an excellent flow too. I like that some tracks like Black Magic have these calm sections, gives them more room to breathe which is sort of what I find missing in older hip-hop. Yeah this is just very original, I love it.

Seems you've catched on my love for clipping. and this does not dissappoint at all. Stigmata and Black Magic are among my favorites of the round, but your choices are just banger after banger :metal

4.5/5

Heretic: Athletics
First impression: Feels sort of generic in general

I had good hopes for these, seeing our tastes have a very good overlap, but this just ain't it. It feels like typical post-rock that only builds to epic crescendoes and barely more. Sure it's cool when it reaches the climax, but none of the 3 tracks stand out in particular at all for me. It's pretty much emo with some epic guitars, but not in a very creative way as all tracks follow a very similar formula.

Sorry for the low score, I'm just very demanding with my post-rock :lol

3/5

Elite: Gackt
First impression: Definitely has an anime sort of sound

Eh I'm not very sure about these, Last Song is a pretty standard ballad but Illness Illusion is kinda cool with the accordions and the guitars. Lu:na has an alt rock feel to it, almost grunge-y, it's nice. Mizerable is ok I think? I don't remember much from it other than it had cool strings.

I dunno, I don't find anything very memorable from these tracks, they feel like ok songs on an ok anime. Which is fine, but not something I'm into these days.

3/5

Positions
home    4.5
ariich  4
Stadler 4
kingshmegland   4
Nekov   4
Shadow Ninja 2.0 4
Buddyhunter1    4
TAC 3.5
Puppies_On_Acid 3.5
Tomislav95  3.5
romdrums    3.5
Anguyen92   3.5
OpenYourEyes311 3.5
Cyril   3.5
Heretic 3
Elite   3
The Walrus  3

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Nice! Yes it's dense music with so many layers to unfold.  Glad you liked them!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

I'm happy with the comments about SawanoHiroyuki[nZk].  I've said it for some time now.  This guy knows how to compose solid JPop/JRock songs and if those songs has lyrics in them, he'll work with the right vocalist to compliment the songs well for the most part.

Anywho, I've submitted round 2.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Driving to Vermont tomorrow and I'll be using this drive (3 hours one way) rework out my next submission. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's anti-prog miniroulette v4. RESULTS 2 OUT OF 3!!!!1!!!
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2020, 09:00:27 PM »
ONLY THREE ROUNDS UNTIL THE EP ROUND :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson:

You should post those rules so I can put mine together in case I make it that far. :biggrin:
I've updated the third post after OP with the EP Round rules:

EP Round Rules

Hard time limit: 35 mins (34:59)
    At least 2 different artists
    At least 2 songs
    Everybody can send an EP, it will be a fierce competition from the bottom up: the last player's EP will compete against the second to last player's EP, the winner competes against the following player up in the leaderboards, etc. In case of a tie, a quick tiebreaker will happen, in which each player involved will send only one song.
    Score will be out of 20. Flow will count up to 5 points.
    If in doubt if any of your artists are banned, send me a PM.[/li][/list]

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Interesting :corn

I'm imagining smooth transitions between songs are important for the flow score - can we edit the transitions ourselves and send the EP as an mp3?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

I'm imagining smooth transitions between songs are important for the flow score - can we edit the transitions ourselves and send the EP as an mp3?
That's the only way to make a proper EP.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
those rules are essentially "the best EP wins the roulette regardless of the performance in the first four rounds" but okay  :lol

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Oof, that's a super-acclaimed album in the post rock / hardcore realm, I'm surprised it hit you as so generic. Ah well.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Glad you enjoyed it so much :D I will send something tomorrow  :angel:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

That's the only way to make a proper EP.  :corn
Yeah that's fine for me, I'll add it to the post.

those rules are essentially "the best EP wins the roulette regardless of the performance in the first four rounds" but okay  :lol
Four rounds ain't enough to have much of a gap between scores so it's anyone's game I think. But that's a fair point, I'll think of a way to have the roulette score influence who wins.

Oof, that's a super-acclaimed album in the post rock / hardcore realm, I'm surprised it hit you as so generic. Ah well.
Yeah I can see it being quite a niche love, but it just doesn't do it for me, sorry :lol
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:14:24 AM by Sacul »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I have a friend who thinks Gackt has some of the best pop songs he’s ever heard. Especially arrangement-wise, I find them quite good too. Shame you didn’t like them.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I feel like my first date was with Margot Robbie, and now everything after is going to be down hill!   :) :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
today I learned that a 3/5 is a 'low score' even though it's literally in the upper half of possible scores

Will send a replacement for my first round 2 submission sometime today
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
You'd have to send hot trash for me to rate something lower than 2.5/5 so it's kind of low for me :P

I have a friend who thinks Gackt has some of the best pop songs he’s ever heard. Especially arrangement-wise, I find them quite good too. Shame you didn’t like them.
Yeah I can see some folks loving Gackt quite a bit, I guess j-pop just doesn't do it for me.

• DTF.org Member
Sending hot trash for round 2! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Sent. I also have a pretty good idea for what my EP is going to be and might have to buy a new album in order to edit it together. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent yesterday
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Will send probably tomorrow.

Re: Linkin Park. If you check them out, check out the rest of Reanimation along with Hybrid Theory... and the other albums I have to recommend are A Thousand Suns and One More Light. All 4 albums are completely different and have some great songs to offer.

High Voltage was originally released on their independent release "Hybrid Theory EP" and then a newer version was released as a B-Side to One Step Closer. And then the Reanimation version came out. All three versions are great and being re-released in October on the Hybrid Theory 20th Anniversary album.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
A Thousand Suns is still by far the best thing Linkin Park have done, in my opinion.

Also, sent for round 2.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Breaking the Habit is the best Linkin Park song imo, but honestly outside of that song and the first 8 tracks on Hybrid Theory, I pretend they don't exist  :lol but those particular songs are classic imo
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Anguyen92

Breaking the Habit is the best Linkin Park song imo, but honestly outside of that song and the first 8 tracks on Hybrid Theory, I pretend they don't exist  :lol but those particular songs are classic imo

Whoa, what about Meteora as well which includes of their bigger songs outside of Breaking The Habit?  Faint, Numb, Somewhere I Belong.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:28:00 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Whoa, even Meteora as well which includes of their bigger songs outside of Breaking The Habit?  Faint, Numb, Somewhere I Belong.

Yeah, honestly I can't stand Meteora outside of BTH, especially Somewhere I Belong, I strongly dislike that song. And actually let me rephrase that; the first 8 tracks on Hybrid Theory rule... except Crawling which is horrendous. But I think that has to do with the chorus becoming a huge meme online in the 2000s, as well as it being super emo. But man, Breaking the Habit was sweet, I really always wanted more like that from the group but never ever got it. That song was one of the very few musical things me and my brother had in common, we would play that song aaaall the time at home.

I did like that one single from A Thousand Suns, I forget the name of it but it had a lot of really distorted vocals, I think, and very little if anything else from the rest of the band beside some synths? Linkin Park was always a band of extremes to me: whatever they put out, I either loved it, or hated it. One Step Closer is a JAM.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
A Thousand Suns is still by far the best thing Linkin Park have done, in my opinion.
Definitely, it's not even close.

But yeah Breaking the Habit is also an amazing song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
And Sent! :metal :corn :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Will send probably tomorrow.

Re: Linkin Park. If you check them out, check out the rest of Reanimation along with Hybrid Theory... and the other albums I have to recommend are A Thousand Suns and One More Light. All 4 albums are completely different and have some great songs to offer.

High Voltage was originally released on their independent release "Hybrid Theory EP" and then a newer version was released as a B-Side to One Step Closer. And then the Reanimation version came out. All three versions are great and being re-released in October on the Hybrid Theory 20th Anniversary album.
Sound like a fun project once I finish with the roulette then, thanks.

I've got around half submissions, I'd prefer to have them all by Friday morning so listening and hangmanen can start :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sending for Round 3 soon.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Can't wait to hear it! :metardica:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Sented!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

Sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just missing on Heretic, OpenYourEyes311, and king. I'll start listening tonight :metal
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 10:49:10 AM by Sacul »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's anti-prog miniroulette v4. SEND FOR ROUND 2, KING AND HERETIC!!
« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »
Sent!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's anti-prog miniroulette v4. SEND FOR ROUND 2, HERETIC!!
« Reply #243 on: August 29, 2020, 10:49:45 AM »
Just missing on Heretic. Hope everything's fine on his end. Hangmanen will come :soon:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
HANG ME DADDY
« Reply #244 on: August 29, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »
I'll add Heretic once I get his tracks, so let's begin with this madness :metal

?: ______ ________ - ___ __ ______
?: ______ ________ - ______ _______
?: ______ ________ - _______ __ _ _____
?: M________ - _____ __ __m___
?: M________ - _ _____ M_ M_____ _______ ___ M_
?: M________ - ___ ___ ____'__ ___ __ ______
?: M________ - _ ____ ____ _____
?: _____ - ____ ___
?: _____ - ____
?: _____ - _______
?: _____ - ________
?: ___m__ - ___M
?: ___m__ - M_ __m_ __ ____ - ___ M__
?: ___m__ - _____
?: _____ __ ___ ____ - ____
?: _____ __ ___ ____ - ________ & ____m
?: _____ __ ___ ____ - _____
?: _____ __ ___ ____ - ___________
?: ____ _______ & ___ ______ ______ - _____ ____
?: ____ _______ & ___ ______ ______ - ______ _
?: ____ _______ & ___ ______ ______ - ____ __m _
?: ____ _______ & ___ ______ ______ - _m _ __ ______?
Puppies_On_Acid: Kiss Kiss - _____
Puppies_On_Acid: Kiss Kiss - M_______
Puppies_On_Acid: Kiss Kiss - ______ __
Puppies_On_Acid: Kiss Kiss - ________ _ (___ __________ __ ____ _______ ___ ____________ __ _________ ________ ____ _________ ___m_____)
Puppies_On_Acid: Kiss Kiss - ________ _ (_ ____ ___m ___ ________ ___mm___ _______ ___ ________ M___)
Puppies_On_Acid: Kiss Kiss - ____
?: M____ __m___ - ____ _____ ___ ___ ___
?: M____ __m___ - ____ _____ _____
?: M____ __m___ - M______
?: M____ __m___ - ___ ____ ____ __m_
?: M____ __m___ - __ __ __m_ ________
?: _______ - _______ M______ (___m ___ _____)
?: _______ - _________
?: _______ - __ ___ ________
?: _______ - _____ ______ __ ___
?: __________ ______ - ___ M_____ _____
?: __________ ______ - M_ _________ ____
?: __________ ______ - ____ ________ ___m
?: __________ ______ - _____ ____m
?: ___m__ _____ - _____ _____
?: ___m__ _____ - _____ & _______
?: ___m__ _____ - ______
?: ___m__ _____ - _______
?: ____ ________ - _ ____ _____m_, __ _ - ___________m___