Author Topic: Rolitics in music  (Read 7384 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Rolitics in music
« on: August 13, 2020, 12:36:20 PM »
I am glad that JP is being as clear as possible here:

"I understand where people are coming from with that. One of the concerns I had, a little bit - not musically at all - but about Mike, is I didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

"Mike Mangini has been in Dream Theater for 10 years now. How many albums did we do together already? Three? Plus two live albums. A lot of music and touring.

"So he's the drummer in Dream Theater, and I didn't want there to be any weirdness or misconception that, 'Oh, this means that Mike's gonna come back.' It's just not the case.

"I think that for me, in a selfish way, I get the best of both worlds 'cause I get to play with two of the greatest drummers in the world, in Dream Theater and with my solo stuff. And it's great for me as a guitar player - it's wonderful.

"I think it's really important for everybody's sake, for fans to understand this. I think it's important, out of respect for both drummers - for Mike Mangini and Mike Portnoy - that there's no misconstrued thing: 'Oh, this means something else.'

"This is him [Portnoy] playing on my solo album, which is a really happy moment for me.

"For me, I knew that that would kind of be part of the story - I accept that. So the best I can do is try to be as clear as I can. I don't want people to get the wrong idea.

"I don't wanna create any drama or weirdness because it's all positive. I made a solo album - finally, after 15 years - and I got my friend to play drums on it, who I haven't played with in 10 years. So that's the vibe."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_addresses_speculation_that_mike_portnoy_is_rejoining_dream_theater_stresses_what_fans_need_to_understand.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:45:48 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Portnoy is NOT coming back
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
I am less glad that you didn't read the discussion in the JP solo album thread about it  :D ;)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 12:38:53 PM »
He doesn't know how many albums he's done with Mangini?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »
I am less glad that you didn't read the discussion in the JP solo album thread about it  :D ;)

hahaha no I didn't. I've been swamped by work. Sorry

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »
In other news, water is wet. Yawn...next! The sooner this pointless sensationalist thread is locked, the better.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 01:22:01 PM »
Yeah, no doubt RoeDent.  The outlandish notion that MP might come back to DT because JP picked him to drum on his solo album is nothing short of fucking hilarious.  Of course, the only one qualified to squash that kind of rumor is JP himself.  Indicating all the obvious reasons why that isn't a possibility as long as MM is still there.  Next question.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »

". . .

"Mike Mangini has been in Dream Theater for 10 years now. How many albums did we do together already? Three? Plus two live albums. A lot of music and touring.

. . ."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_addresses_speculation_that_mike_portnoy_is_rejoining_dream_theater_stresses_what_fans_need_to_understand.html

Breaking news:  "John Petrucci does not consider The Astonishing to be a Dream Theater album."

In other news, water is wet. Yawn...next! The sooner this pointless sensationalist thread is locked, the better.

Pretty much.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »

". . .

. . ."

Breaking news:  "John Petrucci does not consider The Astonishing to be a Dream Theater album."

:lol honestly this is the biggest news out of the quote. WTF JP?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 02:06:04 PM »

LOL...I had ignored that thread (because, TBH, I don't have any interest in any guitarist's solo album), but I just skimmed through it and see that it has relatively little to do with the album.

Most baffling thing I read was that someone thinks "Porty" is a perjorative or name-calling.  WTF?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
*Thread delivers  :corn

*may contain sarcasm  :P

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 03:01:22 PM »
Psssst - How do we tell Ministro that we already knew this???  :justjen

Oh------hey Ministro   :blush

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 03:53:15 PM »
He's not?   :-[

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »
Although I loved him in DT, I am glad he is not coming back. He seems to keep making a lot of odd choices in my opinion, including making political posts on social media. When will musicians learn to shut their holes about politics and religion? Anyway, I have a hard time seeing his vision and I'm more interested in seeing what is to come as Mangini is finally out of Portnoy's shadow.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 01:00:59 AM »
The only thing I'm curious about these non-news is if JP talked about it with Mike beforehand, kinda "you know Mike, I love you and it's been great playing together again, but we both know the reunion discussions will happen and sorry, I just have to publicy say it for my band and for Mangini that it's not the case". Or if he just said it 'cause he doesn't need permission from Portnoy anyway for these kind of things.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 05:19:13 AM »
Although I loved him in DT, I am glad he is not coming back. He seems to keep making a lot of odd choices in my opinion, including making political posts on social media. When will musicians learn to shut their holes about politics and religion? Anyway, I have a hard time seeing his vision and I'm more interested in seeing what is to come as Mangini is finally out of Portnoy's shadow.

I don’t understand this. Because he’s a musician, he doesn’t have the right to speak his opinion like everyone else does? He’s not using the platform of a musician (like shouting about it on stage) he’s using social media. Millions of people give their political and religious views on social media every day. He’s no different than us.

Or is it because he’s saying something that you don’t agree with?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 06:40:31 AM »

When will people learn to shut their holes about politics and religion?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »
Politics and religion have always been a part of music, historically speaking. Nothing has changed.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 09:44:20 AM »
When will musicians learn to shut their holes about politics and religion?

Ummm...WHAT?  I sure as hell hope the answer is NEVER.

Ever heard Black Sabbath's "War Pigs"?

Or John Lennon's "Imagine"?

"Cult of Personality" by Living Colour?

"In the Name of God" by Dream Theater?

"Blowin' in the Wind" by Bob Dylan?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »
What does politics and religion have to do with MP not coming back?  Totally off topic and the wrong forum.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »

I think he meant in interviews or posting on social media.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »

I'm sure, but the implication seemed to be that this was a new phenomenon in the age of social media, but it obviously isn't.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 12:43:18 PM »

When rock becomes a fully conservative and edge-less legacy genre. Which, if you've heard most of the big names in rock to come up over the years, it's pretty much there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 01:18:51 PM »

I'm sure, but the implication seemed to be that this was a new phenomenon in the age of social media, but it obviously isn't.

No one has the right to shut up but people in the public eye have to tread carefully for their own image.   Unless, they are OK with the heat say like Tom Morello.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 02:16:51 PM »

No one has the right to shut up but people in the public eye have to tread carefully for their own image.   Unless, they are OK with the heat say like Tom Morello.

Don't know who that is, but it gets back to YtseJam's original point about MP "making political posts on social media."  MP has demonstrated for at least the past 10 years that his self-awareness in terms of public relations and public image is lacking, but it's pretty clear that he doesn't care too much about backlash.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 02:22:48 PM »
I think he does through.  He's too sensitive on negative responses.  Tom Morello is the guitarist from Rage Against The Machine.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »

To be fair - mangini didn't write A Dramatic Turn Of Events with the band - he just came in last and recorded the drums. Maybe that's what JP meant.

DT12 onwards - he was in the studio with the band.

I guess The Astonishing was just Petrucci and Rudess - but that's my take.

He means DT12, TA and D/T

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »

To be fair - mangini didn't write A Dramatic Turn Of Events with the band - he just came in last and recorded the drums. Maybe that's what JP meant.

Could be.  Or just in the moment, he lost track of how many albums it's been. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
It's alright John.  I pretend The Astonishing doesn't exist also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2020, 07:45:29 PM »

I don’t understand this. Because he’s a musician, he doesn’t have the right to speak his opinion like everyone else does? He’s not using the platform of a musician (like shouting about it on stage) he’s using social media. Millions of people give their political and religious views on social media every day. He’s no different than us.

Or is it because he’s saying something that you don’t agree with?

You nailed it 👍

Offline PetFish

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 07:45:48 PM »
When will musicians learn to shut their holes about politics and religion? Anyway, I have a hard time seeing his vision and I'm more interested in seeing what is to come as Mangini is finally out of Portnoy's shadow.

Why do people say stupid stuff like this?  Things like "Liberal Hollywood should stick to acting" or whatever.

Politics affects everyone... EVERYONE.  So that means EVERYONE can and should have an opinion and knowledge on the subject.  Celebrities, musicians, athletes, park rangers, daycare operators, etc have just as much a right as anyone to talk about politics.

So why can't MP, or ANYONE for that matter, talk about politics?  Just to point out the obvious, Trump is a REALITY TV CELEBRITY and he's freaking president.  Such an insane hypocritical argument.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 09:04:52 PM »
Well obviously he knows what he did and it doesn't bother me one bit, because it's who he is. It shouldn't surprise any of us, because MP is known to tweet and post whatever he feels he wants to post.

I don't have to agree with him. And I don't. That doesn't allow me to post harassing and threatening posts. It's to the point he deleted people.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2020, 09:05:03 PM »
I would say does Portnoy ever talk about politics?  The answer is no.

Does that give us the right to ridicule him for his opinion?  No.

Should he know that he will have pushback because the world politically does not see exactly his view?  Yes he should.

So I would say, if Mike is going to put himself out there as a public figure on his political views,  then prepare for backlash.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »
I would say does Portnoy ever talk about politics?  The answer is no.

Does that give us the right to ridicule him for his opinion?  No.

Should he know that he will have pushback because the world politically does not see exactly his view?  Yes he should.

So I would say, if Mike is going to put himself out there as a public figure on his political views,  then prepare for backlash.

Exactly what I meant by, He knows what he did.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2020, 07:31:17 AM »
Man, where did this notion that, in order to stay "political correct", you should avoid discussing any topic that can potentially offend people.

How do you expect a democracy to work if everyone is going to just stay in their own mindless bubble, feeding from their own echo chamber of pre-approved knowledge, without anyone ever challenging their world view? Are you really going to base your choice of who's gonna lead us on whatever tabloid soundbites sound good to you, while ignoring everything else?

Last I checked, a democracy is supposed to be a governing form of a government chosen BY the people, FOR the people. And the people is -everyone-, not just whoever you think is looking nicest on TV in that one interview who maybe said something you thought sounded close to smart, so you'll put your entire future in their hands.

If you don't think regular people, celebrities, whatever should be able to talk about politics, I'm afraid you don't deserve a democracy. You want a dictatorship where only POWER is important.

And if you attack people for having political views, to the point where they feel harassed, you're an asshole. Plain and simple.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2020, 08:00:39 AM »
All I know is - If i was in a successful band and my career was going just great -

- I would ONLY talk about music. Even if you genuinely believe what you are saying RE : Religion or Politics - It just has too much potential

to blow up in your face.