Author Topic: Beard Oil.  (Read 2306 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Beard Oil.
« on: August 09, 2020, 07:02:33 PM »
My beard as I get older is wiry. Does anyone use beard oils and what are your suggestions?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Beard Oil.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:34:50 PM »
Beard oil is great. Pick up a beard wash while you're at it, use it to shampoo your beard in the shower, then oil it afterwards.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 08:02:54 PM »
Try this...

...you damn caveman.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:04:26 PM »
I don’t use oil.....I use beard wax. I feel like I can control the amount better with the wax and it’s not as messy as the oil.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 08:19:39 PM »
Try this...

...you damn caveman.

Some of us are capable of growing real beards.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 12:22:53 AM »
I use beard shampoo, conditioner and swap between beard oil and balm.  I've tried a few different oils and they are all sufficient.  It's all good stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 12:23:23 AM »
Try this...

...you damn caveman.

What do you use this daily on?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 05:48:00 AM »
Try this...

...you damn caveman.

What do you use this daily on?

His knowledge of culture.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 06:12:27 AM »
Tim does have a baby face.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 08:18:48 AM »
Oil won't work for me so I go with a thin wax, and only occasionally to be honest. I use Professor Fuzzworthys beard soap in the shower, and Honest Amish as a conditioner/balm. When I was researching I figured "who would know more about beards than the Amish?" and it became an easy decision. Moreover, the most important part of beard stuff is "all natural." The fewer things in your soap/oil the better, and the Amish are as minimalist as it gets.

The other thing is figuring out if you want something that'll help control your beard or not. In other words, how waxy it is. I don't like it waxy at all. The beard does what the beard wants. Other people want wax that'll cement their beard in place. Another reason for the Honest Amish brand (for me) is that it's minimal control. It leaves it soft and shiny, but not stiff. If you research beard conditioner they'll generally be rated for how much control they offer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 08:23:56 AM »
Thanks El Barto.  That's some great info for some research.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 08:28:09 AM »
I would also suggest beard butter. It's less than wax but more than oil. I use regularly and it helps a lot. Makes my beard nice and soft. I'm with EB, I don't like wax. Although once I used it before going out walking on a windy day and boy was I grateful for that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 06:35:08 PM »
I gotta laugh when beard pricks have like Beard Shampoo , beard Conditioner, beard Oil, Beard scissors, beard Gel etc etc.

Yet I drag 4 blades over my face every single day and I'M not a real man  :rollin

Not a diss at anyone who has a beard - just those intolerable w*nkers who think it makes them better than everyone.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 06:51:03 PM »
That is pretty funny  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 04:32:29 AM »
I gotta laugh when beard pricks have like Beard Shampoo , beard Conditioner, beard Oil, Beard scissors, beard Gel etc etc.

Yet I drag 4 blades over my face every single day and I'M not a real man  :rollin

Not a diss at anyone who has a beard - just those intolerable w*nkers who think it makes them better than everyone.

This came out of nowhere.

I currently have a beard yet I've never thought I've been better than anyone in my life, like ever.  George Costanza style.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 06:34:09 PM »
My beard as I get older is wiry. Does anyone use beard oils and what are your suggestions?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nWEj8czolRk

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 06:53:53 PM »
https://dukecannon.com/products/big-bourbon-beard-oil

Smells great and works for mine! and it comes in a bigger bottle. A little goes a long way
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 06:56:13 PM »
I always have a beard, but for the last few years have stopped trimming it (though still shaping it) for winter.

And now's about that time for winter beard to start, so I'll be checking into a lot of the stuff mentioned.

Also, having a beard makes me better than people without one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 08:00:49 PM »
My goat is long. I'm trying to tame it. As you get older it wiry. I need to take it.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 11:04:49 PM »
I use the Dr. Carvers Beard Oil from Dollar Shave Club, when I grow my beard out. It works really well.

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/product/beard-oil
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 12:21:11 AM »
Also, having a beard makes me better than people without one.

Quoted for truth.

I shaved my beard off a fortnight ago and I'm pretty sure my testosterone dropped about 30% right away.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2020, 05:06:13 AM »
You can thank me now... I've used several products and this is the best. Women will beg you to rub your beard on them and beg to touch it.

https://www.garnierusa.com/about-our-brands/whole-blends/coconut-cocoa-smoothing/smoothing-oil-with-coconut-oil-cocoa-butter-extracts

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 09:01:43 AM »

I saw this yesterday and find it totally embarrassing. Why is Petrucci using his and DT's name to make money with ridiculous stuff like this? Same with that beer they did a while ago. I can't imagine it making very much money, but it's hurting DT's image quite a bit in my opinion.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 10:13:12 AM »

I saw this yesterday and find it totally embarrassing. Why is Petrucci using his and DT's name to make money with ridiculous stuff like this? Same with that beer they did a while ago. I can't imagine it making very much money, but it's hurting DT's image quite a bit in my opinion.

Looking at the comments on the YouTube, they seem largely positive so I am curious as to why you think the opposite. How is this hurting their image?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 10:36:30 AM »
I never saw Dream Theater mentioned once. And Petrucci's beard is phenomenal. He's got a damn good claim to endorse a product.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »

I doubt any fans would really care or think it would impact negatively on their name.  He's a beard enthusiast quite obviously so I don't see much harm in it.  I doubt he's in it to try and make money.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 07:27:53 AM »
If you think this hurts DT's image even a little bit, as if DT has an image that would be affected by this, methinks you read too much into the band's popularity. JP has a great beard and I think this is cool. He also said I had a nice beard when I met him  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 07:44:15 AM »

I don't understand this. DT wasn't used in the add and this is a personal venture. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 11:04:19 AM »
If you think this hurts DT's image even a little bit, as if DT has an image that would be affected by this, methinks you read too much into the band's popularity. JP has a great beard and I think this is cool. He also said I had a nice beard when I met him  :biggrin:
:tup

I got a nod and a thumbs up from him when they were in Dallas.
E.F. Benson

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 04:57:56 AM »
So if you wanna moisturize both the beard and the skin underneath it, you use an oil? or a balm?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2020, 05:34:31 AM »
Can't say I'm a fan of beard oil. Every time I used it it makes the food taste weird.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2020, 07:25:25 AM »
So if you wanna moisturize both the beard and the skin underneath it, you use an oil? or a balm?

Oil, usually. I also have butter and balm; the butter is for light conditioning and a softer feel, and the balm has more hold to it so I'll use it, say, before going out walking on a windy day, idk

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2020, 08:28:20 AM »
Use whatever will get down there. Depending on how thick and bushy your beard is it might be a chore getting it that deep. In my experience a decent comb (sandalwood is the norm) is the more important part of it getting to the skin. Sandalwood picks up the oils and distributes them more or less evenly.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2020, 10:34:49 AM »
I've found I have to use mine more often than most people apparently do, because I work in a dusty, dirty environment. So I end up oiling my beard a few times a week, as big as it is and dusty as it can get. What drives me absolutely insane is that although it's gotten much softer more regularly, there are still some *super* wiry hairs in there, like I can individually pick them out as being super rough and wiry. I know some guys whose beards look like they transplanted the hair from their scalp onto their face, I have no freaking clue how they get it that full and straight, must just be wonderful genetics. If my beard looked like my head hair I would be so happy.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »
I've found I have to use mine more often than most people apparently do, because I work in a dusty, dirty environment. So I end up oiling my beard a few times a week, as big as it is and dusty as it can get. What drives me absolutely insane is that although it's gotten much softer more regularly, there are still some *super* wiry hairs in there, like I can individually pick them out as being super rough and wiry. I know some guys whose beards look like they transplanted the hair from their scalp onto their face, I have no freaking clue how they get it that full and straight, must just be wonderful genetics. If my beard looked like my head hair I would be so happy.

If my head hair looked like my beard I'd be happy.  :D

Seriously though, I know what you are saying with the super wiry hairs.  I have a couple under my jaw line and damn they are literally as thick as a thin wire!

And yeah, my beard is decently thick but those guys that need to shave every day and their hair is so thick is unreal.  So many follicles they must have.  I put it down to genetics.

Saying that, your other point,  the older I get the more I need to wash and use balm and oil.  Just seems as I age the hair seems thicker and coarser and needs more attention.