Author Topic: Jonas Reingold / Craig Blundell / Rob Townsend - The Backstage "Isolation" 2020  (Read 729 times)

Offline The Letter M

Jonas Reingold just announced that he, Craig Blundell, and Rob Townsend, have joined forces to release a new album under the moniker The Backstage. Isolation is set to be released sometime this year, and pre-orders are up now.
https://www.jonasreingold.se/product-page/the-backstage-isolation

Welcome to the backstage. Support us in a deeper way. Get your name on the CD 100 slots availible. By adding your name to the CD you will help us come through this har time.First come, first served. This is a project recorded during the Covis-19 pandemi by Jonas Reingold, Craig Blundell and Rob Townsend. They have gathered tons of prog royatly and special guests. The Backstage bring back the spirits of the 70-ies. If you are a fan of Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Brecker Brothers, Billy Cobham this CD is must for you.  Thank you for your support!!!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUArn3eYDM&fbclid=IwAR0IqLZaW6WG-AW8YfcbAaKI-tYrszHT2LdggeYaxVqG52vjeDrBLXJ1v24

Jonas had this to say on Facebook about the project:

Dear friends. Long post ahead!!!
The Backstage trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzUArn3eYDM
I will tell it as it is in this post. No bending of the truth. You will get a true insight in how it is to be a freelance musician in times like this. January 2020, I looked at my schedule and was very satisfied with the situation. Everything that I worked so hard for over the years aligned, a row of success. I was on top of the mountain. A world tour with Steve Hackett, festival gigs with The Flower Kings, other gigs with different artists and recordings.
Then this invisible enemy appeared and literally from one day to another, all activities stopped, got cancelled, postponed. Did I have a B-plan? No, a pandemic of this magnitude is nothing anyone is prepared for. Did I have insurances, financial back up to cover from going 100% to absolutely zero? The answer is sadly “no” there as well. This is not a rant to make you all feel sorry for me. Others got sick, lost loved ones, lost their jobs, shattered families, mental illness, the wounds a tragedy like this leaves upon the world are of astronomic magnitude. I still have a roof over my head, so I’m probably one of the lucky ones.
However, I lost a whole year’s salary to Covid-19 from one day to another. The Hackett and TFK gigs got cancelled. My schedule got totally eradicated. If you lose your normal job, you are getting at least some insurance from the employer or the government (in most cases). In the freelance world nothing like this exists. You are on your own, unless you’re doing great, then the taxman rings your doorbell and wants a piece of the action.
The revenues from the online platforms are basically zero. The only real money we can make, is from concerts. You do the math, zero concerts equal zero income. Luckily, I got 1000 Euros from the Emergencyfund here in Austria. That was nice for a week. I don’t have any Rock’n Roll millions hidden in any obscure tax haven countries. I have my instruments, everything I made on music went straight back into music. Always been like that, so to put it mildly, it’s shit.
But, can you just lie down and weep? Of course not, that doesn’t bring bread to the table. I still have 2 kids to support on top of myself. Is it easy to be creative and start over from square one? Of course not, you have to raise above that. If not for yourself but for your kids.
So, this leads me back to you guys.
Me, Rob and Craig launched this project to cover for our tour losses, to survive. This is the only thing we know how to do. This is the only thing we can do. If you are one of the people who still has a job, a family, your health and on top of that likes music and believes that music should be part of the society, you can make a difference.
By signing up for the VIP package, you help us tremendously through the hard times. The extra money will not end up in champagne, sunshine and lollipops. It will pay for rent, food for us and the kids, just the basic stuff. You don’t get anything more than your name on the CD, but you get a heartfelt thank you from us and on the behalf of the whole musician’s community.

Sounds very interesting. Very fusion-y, which is typical for Jonas. I'd be interested in seeing who else is guesting on this album!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:17:06 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

Will have to check this out when I get a chance. Sounds promising!

Offline The Letter M

Just wanted to post that the album is due out August 28th. I wasn't sure if it had been mentioned in my original post, so I came back here to double check. I just pre-ordered it, though sadly, I missed out on the first 100 to get their name on the album. That's fine, I'm still really curious as to how this will sound! I really enjoy Jonas' bass playing, and Craig Blundell is an amazing drummer, so I'm hyped for the rhythm section on this!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

Looks like the release is now September 29th. Some interesting contributors to this album. From Steve Hackett’s website:

https://store.hackettsongs.com/products/the-backstage-isolation-digipack-cd?fbclid=IwAR0p9zoV3u0T0DpcnDVudOCQC24zxoUDWaqA8DTxxSFa_ngdDTzpotuvqKU

THE BACKSTAGE HAS GATHERED PROG/JAZZ/FUSION ROYALTY FROM AROUND THE GLOBE IN THIS EXCITING, ECLECTIC PROJECT AND HAS CREATED THE BEST PROG/FUSION MUSIC INSPIRED BY THE SOUNDS OF THE 70-IES.

FEATURING: STEVE HACKETT, TOM BRISLIN, MARCO MINNEMAN, NICK BEGGS, ROGER KING, ROINE STOLT, PAT MASTELOTTO, MIKE THORNE, ANDY TILLISON, KRISTER JONSSON, CARL ORR, ADAM HOLZMAN, LUKE MACHIN, RANDY MCSTINE, JAMES TAYLOR, LELO NIKA, CHRIS LORD ALGE AND LALLE LARSSON

Offline Dedalus

Sounds good  :tup

Offline HOF

I didn’t even notice James Taylor before. Is that *the* James Taylor?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, that list of contributors is amazing. I will check this when it comes out
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline emtee

Tough times for everybody. So many people have been impacted.

Offline The Letter M

Looks like the release is now September 29th. Some interesting contributors to this album. From Steve Hackett’s website:

https://store.hackettsongs.com/products/the-backstage-isolation-digipack-cd?fbclid=IwAR0p9zoV3u0T0DpcnDVudOCQC24zxoUDWaqA8DTxxSFa_ngdDTzpotuvqKU

THE BACKSTAGE HAS GATHERED PROG/JAZZ/FUSION ROYALTY FROM AROUND THE GLOBE IN THIS EXCITING, ECLECTIC PROJECT AND HAS CREATED THE BEST PROG/FUSION MUSIC INSPIRED BY THE SOUNDS OF THE 70-IES.

FEATURING: STEVE HACKETT, TOM BRISLIN, MARCO MINNEMAN, NICK BEGGS, ROGER KING, ROINE STOLT, PAT MASTELOTTO, MIKE THORNE, ANDY TILLISON, KRISTER JONSSON, CARL ORR, ADAM HOLZMAN, LUKE MACHIN, RANDY MCSTINE, JAMES TAYLOR, LELO NIKA, CHRIS LORD ALGE AND LALLE LARSSON

Delayed by a month, eh? I wonder if COVID is to blame. Either way, what a STELLAR line-up, though I'm sure many of them are only playing one song, or even just a solo, but that's still really cool. Lots of Tangent members, past and present (unsurprisingly), as well as some Steven Wilson band alum. I'm excited to hear what Reingold and co. have come up with!

-Marc.