Author Topic: NCAA 2020 College Football thread  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
NCAA 2020 College Football thread
« on: August 05, 2020, 08:15:03 PM »
Just kidding!

Shut the season down, and if it topples the current structure of collegiate athletics, good riddance.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: NCAA 2020 College Football thread
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 05:00:34 AM »
Obligatory...

:gobears:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:28:05 AM »
Just read the PAC12 has built a loan plan to give each school if the season is cancelled.  Like 1B in loans will be available to the schools to support loss of college football revenue for one year.  Which to me is the sign that this is not likely going to happen. 

As much as I really want to watch my PSU team, it's my favorite sport as well, it really seems ridiculous that they would be able to play this season.  Just look how hard MLB is struggling, but those are paid professional players not kids on scholarship while the rest of the students aren't even coming to campus.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/amway-coaches-poll/2020-2021/

Coaches poll is out, might be the same rankings to end the season.  PSU @ 7 makes me so upset this season is likely not to happen, could have been a good one.  :sadpanda:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 12:00:22 AM »
I see three conferences will play, so I'll have a couple of teams to watch (CCU, BSU). 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 05:19:05 AM »
Are the games going to be played with fans in the stands?  Looks like the SEC is playing a conference only schedule
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 07:26:02 AM »
Looks more and more like the season will be shifted to the spring.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 08:55:51 AM »
Are the games going to be played with fans in the stands?  Looks like the SEC is playing a conference only schedule

For the moment, PSU announced no fans in the stadium and only a 10 game conference schedule. 

Looks more and more like the season will be shifted to the spring.

I don't know how the logistics of that works, but it does seem more and more likely that a fall season isn't going to happen. Rumors of an announcement very soon with the BIG10 and Pac12 leading the way of the power conferences to call it a day with the SEC seeming to be the one conference that really wants to push on.  I hate to admit it, but this season makes no sense to play out.  These are kids, not professional athletes. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 09:17:08 PM »
So now the talk is that if some conferences are a go (SEC, ACC, Big 12) for the fall and others are not (Big 10, Pac 12), the schools that are playing football are going to pillage the other schools of their talent, and it would be all above board. The (ahem...) student athletes from those schools not playing football would be eligible to transfer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 08:18:11 AM »
What exactly is the job of the NCAA other than to make money?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »
What exactly is the job of the NCAA other than to make money?

Good question, why are there no guidelines and rules?  This is a disaster right now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 11:31:09 AM »
The NCAA exists to administer punishment and discipline 5onschools who violate their labyrinthine rules.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 03:35:00 PM »
Well hey, maybe we get 2 seasons in 1!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 07:49:41 AM »
Hey all! I don't think are many or any other Husker Fans here but I know there are Big 10 team fans. I highly recommend you all check out the Husker Doc Talk Podcast. The last two episodes are focused on the Big 10's decision and the long term impacts. Very enlightening especially considering the lack of ownership over the FBS from the NCAA.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »
Hey all! I don't think are many or any other Husker Fans here but I know there are Big 10 team fans. I highly recommend you all check out the Husker Doc Talk Podcast. The last two episodes are focused on the Big 10's decision and the long term impacts. Very enlightening especially considering the lack of ownership over the FBS from the NCAA.
Haven't heard that in particular, but I know there are plenty of rumblings from Husker country about leaving the Big 10 this season so they can play in the fall with perhaps a different league or as an independent. 

What a world!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 10:27:23 AM »
They took it back just today.  PSU and OSU coaches also said the same thing, but I think the Big10 is trying to look to do a winter season now.  If the Big12/ACC/SEC have a season, it will be disastrous for the Big10 and PAC12 for years to come in terms of recruiting.    I think a lot of those coaches were just blowing smoke, like their school presidents (PSU and OSU at least) voted to cancel the season so there is no way those coaches were going to be able to play without the school presidents and AD's blessing.  I think that was just coaches standing up for the players who mostly do seem to want to play, I mean, they've been on campus getting thoroughly tested and practicing for a bit now so I do really feel bad for them.  I don't know how a winter season will work so I just don't see it happening.  I'm guessing if one person gets sick in these other conferences, they'll crumble too, but if they are able to have a season... it's going to be bad for my PSU team sadly.  I wish they would have at least given it a try, I mean, they did only a week ago release the new schedules and everything.  Should have tried the first weeks of games, done tests, and see what happens.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
Haven't heard that in particular, but I know there are plenty of rumblings from Husker country about leaving the Big 10 this season so they can play in the fall with perhaps a different league or as an independent. 

What a world!

That's what happens when you go to a school where the N on the helmet stands for Knowledge.  ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 07:49:22 PM »
It’d suck if Nebraska left the Big 10, thats one guaranteed win every year for the Badgers.  :biggrin:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 06:41:56 PM »
The conferences that are moving to Spring will be asking students to play two seasons in the same year.  Good luck with that.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 06:54:22 PM »
The conferences that are moving to Spring will be asking students to play two seasons in the same year.  Good luck with that.

Didn't even think about that, that's frikkin brutal. They'll be beat the fuck up by the end of fall.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 09:15:20 PM »
Sam Khan needs to work on his math

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29669259/nine-oklahoma-sooners-test-positive-covid-19-returning-break

"After announcing 14 positive tests in the initial round of testing when the team returned for July 1 workouts, the Sooners had only one positive player test in the next five weeks, including a four-week span from July 8 to July 29 with zero positives. From July 1 to Aug. 8, the Sooners conducted 700 player tests, resulting in only 15 positives. Out of 186 tests of staff, only two have tested positive. The combined player and staff positivity rate of 1.9% in that five-week span was well below the state of Oklahoma's, which has been above 6% during the same time span and at one point reached as high as 10%. The state's seven-day rolling average positivity rate was 8.9% through Friday, according to the state health department."

The Sooners do not have 700 players or 186 staff members that were tested between July 1 to August 8.  Going with the initial count of 14, plus the one, now the nine, that makes what....24 positives out of 85-100 players?  So I am just going out on a limb that their positivity rate is higher than 1.9%.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 02:45:14 AM »
700 and 186 are referring to the numbers of tests, not numbers of people.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 08:04:49 AM »
Yes, I know that. 

To compare the team's 'tests' percentage to that state's test percentage of 6% positivity rate is just absurd.  I'm sure all Oklahomans have been tested six to seven times in that time frame as well
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
Southern University announced their schedule for Spring.  6 conference games plus one non-conference TBA starting end of February.  So it's like a mini-season.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »
It’d suck if Nebraska left the Big 10, thats one guaranteed win every year for the Badgers.  :biggrin:

Kinda like how Michigan has become a guaranteed win for Ohio State. :hat
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1300815396950478849

Had a very productive conversation with Kevin Warren, Commissioner of the Big Ten Conference, about immediately starting up Big Ten football. Would be good (great!) for everyone - Players, Fans, Country. On the one yard line!

I didn't expect Trump to stick his head into this, but while I've said the season seems unsafe, the players families and coaches all seem to think it's actually safer to play than to send the kids back to their otherwise "normal" life where they won't be constantly tested. 

I don't know, my selfishness wants the Big 10 to play, but I just don't see how it can happen especially when you have outbreaks at Alabama now and they are trying to keep it quiet.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
Considering the big money in college football, it's hardly surprising to see some of the bigger colleges trying to make a go of it. What I find surprising is high school football starting up.  :facepalm:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 11:47:35 AM »
I got two games Saturday: Coastal/Kansas and USF/Citadel. 

EDIT: Not at the same time.  One is 7PM PT one is 7PM ET.  My bad.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 05:45:18 PM by dparrott »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2020, 01:05:16 PM »
Considering the big money in college football, it's hardly surprising to see some of the bigger colleges trying to make a go of it. What I find surprising is high school football starting up.  :facepalm:

In some areas of the country, high school football is more important than anything - ever see Friday Night Lights? 

Offline emtee

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 04:20:31 PM »
Feels really, really good to see a live football game. I really hope we can leave this effing Covid crap behind for good soon.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
My alma mater, Appalachian State, won against a tougher-than-expected Charlotte team Saturday.  1-0 always feels good.

Going up against a much tougher Marshall team this week.  Resumption of an old rivalry.  Both teams were archrivals in the Southern Conference when I was in college.  I saw Randy Moss beat us all by himself when he was at Marshall.  We always hated the Thundering Turds.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 05:06:41 PM »
I'm jealous your team is playing... but it is rumored that the Big10 is going to vote again this week and a season may actually happen.  I'll wait and see since before getting my hopes up, but if all these other teams are traveling and playing, why can't the richest conference also make it work?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »
I'm jealous your team is playing... but it is rumored that the Big10 is going to vote again this week and a season may actually happen.  I'll wait and see since before getting my hopes up, but if all these other teams are traveling and playing, why can't the richest conference also make it work?
I'm not sure why they felt they couldn't make a go of it.

But if they do wind up starting in October or something, I don't know if I am in favor of them being eligible for the playoff.  I mean, I don't know.  I'm definitely not 100% against it.  But it would leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too (which is an expression I don't like very much, but it is what it is).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 02:37:21 PM »
I'm not sure why they felt they couldn't make a go of it.

But if they do wind up starting in October or something, I don't know if I am in favor of them being eligible for the playoff.  I mean, I don't know.  I'm definitely not 100% against it.  But it would leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too (which is an expression I don't like very much, but it is what it is).

Yea, it'll be interesting.  I don't really think their idea was to find a way to sneak into the playoffs so I don't really think it should be taken that way, but it may end up having an impact.  If they start Oct. 10/17 (these are the rumor start times, based on being able to play an 8/9 game season before the CFP deadline) and a team goes 8/9-0 how does that compare to another team going 11-1?  It's definitely messy.

What I'm reading today (from twitter so take it for what its worth) that Nebraska president was caught on hot mic saying they will announce the big10 season tonight.  We'll see. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »
Just got this email from PSU

First, we would like to thank you for your continued support of Penn State and its student-athletes. Second, football is back! The Big Ten Conference announced today the 2020 football season will begin October 24. The football student-athletes have continued to prepare, and we are excited to see the Nittany Lions return to the field this fall. Additional information regarding the schedule will be announced in the near future. As previously announced, under current state guidance, we will not be able to welcome fans to Beaver Stadium and tailgating will not be permitted in University lots on game days

Again, thank you so much for your generosity and support!

:metal :metal :metal

Although October 24th seems a bit late, the rumored dates were the 10/17th so I don't know how this works with the playoffs but I got to think an undefeated Big10 champ would still likely make it, but the waters are going to be very muddy if we have lots of 1 loss teams.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what will happen now.