Dream Theater > Dream Theater

Favorite MM Era Album - Sonic Quality Only

<< < (2/9) > >>

Mladen:
The Astonishing gets my vote. Aside from the snare sound and the guitar being a bit quiet in certain sections, it's truly impressive sonically. Even though Dramatic is my favorite of the bunch, it sounds just a little bit muddy. And the remaining two are too much in-your-face in terms of sound.

Max Kuehnau:
In my personal opinion, DT12 gets my vote. And here's the thing (and I'm referring to the High res 24 bit versions only here as I only listen to them where possible): The MM-era albums are all on an equal level. DT have upped the production quality from Systematic Chaos up until now, with the MM era albums being consistently great. The Astonishing is a bit of a step down, but they are all great sounding. (my sources are the 24 bit downloads on HDtracks or elsewhere and the audio Bluray of D/T btw. Not HDtracks in the case of  D/T.) DT12 is the best sounding of them all though IMHO. (look here for reference: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/108208) DT12 (in 24 bit mind you) is to DT and metal what Brothers In Arms was to the CD and pop music.

lovethedrake:
Easily DOT for me....its the first album since SDOIT that I would actually consider ear candy.   The opening of At Wits End hits you so hard.   Labrie sounds great as well.   

Max Kuehnau:

--- Quote from: lovethedrake on August 05, 2020, 07:57:06 AM ---Easily DOT for me....its the first album since SDOIT that I would actually consider ear candy.   The opening of At Wits End hits you so hard.   Labrie sounds great as well.

--- End quote ---
yes. The audio Bluray of the album is fantastic. (although it definitely isn't my personal favourite MM-era album. The audio Bluray made it very listenable though, as opposed to the CD version. Oh no.)

Madman Shepherd:
Definitely DoT and while I agree that ADTOE is probably the "worst" sounding of the bunch, I don't think it sounds bad by any means. In fact, it sounds quite good, just not as good as the other 3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version