Author Topic: James LaBrie Vocal Range/Petrucci Note Range  (Read 2492 times)

Offline AboutToCrash

James LaBrie Vocal Range/Petrucci Note Range
« on: August 03, 2020, 04:39:05 AM »
Does anyone know what James Labrie’s vocal range across all studio albums is? I saw a ranking of singers with a wide vocal range online and was a bit confused that he wasn’t included.. but maybe I’m overestimating. I’m guessing his highest is learning to live’s F# but I have no clue what the lowest is. I remember the astonishing having some really low range melodies in places.

The same question can be asked about Petrucci, I’m interested to know how low he’s played on a track too. I know he uses a 7 string often so I’d assume B, but that’s not including alternative tunings he might have used. I’m also assuming his highest would be the 24th fret on the high E but again he might have used a different tuning to achieve higher
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:58:58 AM by AboutToCrash »

Offline gborland

Re: James LaBrie Vocal Range/Petrucci Note Range
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 04:50:42 AM »
I’m also assuming his highest would be the 24th fret on the Hugh E but again he might have used a different tuning to achieve higher

He'll have bent that high E up to an F# or G at least. And are you counting harmonics, squealies, and whammy tricks?  ;D
Graham Borland

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 04:58:40 AM »
Everything’s fair game hahaha! I know it’s a random thread but I always find it interesting, I wouldn’t know where to start with working out the pitch for harmonics

Offline Evai

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 05:17:43 AM »
The feedback note on Prophets of War is a G6, if that counts
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 06:58:46 AM »

The same question can be asked about Petrucci, I’m interested to know how low he’s played on a track too. I know he uses a 7 string often so I’d assume B, but that’s not including alternative tunings he might have used.

Off the top of my head, I believe he downtuned the low B to an A on These Walls. Wouldn't surprise me if he's gone even lower than that at some point.

Offline Evai

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 09:56:26 AM »
Has he ever done a low E dive bomb?  :lol
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:26:09 PM »
Vocal range is not the spectrum of the lowest note you can hit to the highest, it's the lowest note you can hit comfortably and maintaining a certain quality to the highest. With that said, not sure what James' real range is. The F#7 is definitely is highest note but there is no way it's in his actual range.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
Vocal range is not the spectrum of the lowest note you can hit to the highest, it's the lowest note you can hit comfortably and maintaining a certain quality to the highest.

While that's true from a music theory/vocal instruction point of view, the OP's question is what is his "vocal range across all studio albums" -- i.e., what are the lowest and highest notes he has hit on all DT studio albums (and, I suppose, also the solo stuff he's done and maybe even including Winter Rose material).

With that said, not sure what James' real range is. The F#7 is definitely is highest note but there is no way it's in his actual range.

The F# in Learning to Live is F#5, not F#7.

If you believe the unsourced comments in the Wikipedia article for the song "Octavarium" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavarium_(song)#:~:text=By%20the%20time%20the%20song,A%20Dramatic%20Turn%20of%20Events). ), JLB hits G5 on the fourth repetition of "Trapped inside this Octavarium" at the end of the "Intervals" section of the song.

This video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oSh2ZdIOaY#:~:text=Watch%20QueueQueue-,The%20Vocal%20Range%20of%20James%20LaBrie%3A%20E%E2%99%AD2,B%E2%99%AD5(%2DB5) ), which mostly includes live stuff on the high end of the scale, contends his range is Eb2 to Bb5.

The Wikipedia article mentioned above also says he exceeded G5 on BMUBMD, and I found a source (of questionable credibility, so I'm not linking it) that says the note is an A5.  I have no idea what part of the song this supposedly happens in or whether that's right.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
I believe jp hit a low g with a downtrend guitar on the intro to dt12 (cant remember song name). I think its the last note of the piece, hit just once.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 03:43:03 PM »
I believe jp hit a low g with a downtrend guitar on the intro to dt12 (cant remember song name). I think its the last note of the piece, hit just once.

Ummm...if it's in the intro, how could it be the last note?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 06:24:07 PM »

Ummm...if it's in the intro, how could it be the last note?

Intro song, last note of it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 09:55:54 PM »

The same question can be asked about Petrucci, I’m interested to know how low he’s played on a track too. I know he uses a 7 string often so I’d assume B, but that’s not including alternative tunings he might have used.

Off the top of my head, I believe he downtuned the low B to an A on These Walls. Wouldn't surprise me if he's gone even lower than that at some point.

Pretty sure Blind Faith is in A too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 08:25:58 AM »
This thread has the tuning JP uses for each song.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50659.0
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk