Author Topic: DT STAGE PRESENTATION 2022  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: DT STAGE PRESENTATION 2022
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2022, 07:03:50 AM »
If you see the youtube videos, the stage is really nice, but I think that DT clearly downsized the production this time around, maybe because the financial risks (pandemic related) of this tour?

Maybe they managed to downsize enough to need one less truck on the road? Drivers are tough to come by and command a pretty penny for their services these days.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »
If you see the youtube videos, the stage is really nice, but I think that DT clearly downsized the production this time around, maybe because the financial risks (pandemic related) of this tour?

Maybe they managed to downsize enough to need one less truck on the road? Drivers are tough to come by and command a pretty penny for their services these days.

And I wonder if they think there's a realistic chance there may be some canceled shows so saving the money goes a long way

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2022, 08:35:55 AM »
It's so they have less crew to worry about, and it's easier to get it in and out, without having to stay long.

I enjoyed the stage presentation and the video screen was neat. The videos were awesome as well.

Oh yeah, and Mangini on a small kit was amazing to witness.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2022, 09:02:31 AM »

And I wonder if they think there's a realistic chance there may be some canceled shows so saving the money goes a long way

Yeah, I'm quite sure this is a big factor to consider.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2022, 12:40:51 PM »
They're playing arenas over here in Europe, particularly the horrible cattle-shed that is Wembley Arena in London. Their theatre-sized stage just doesn't work in arenas, but a smaller production is going to be lost in a hall that big. I'm hoping they'll hire a few extra arena style lights for these dates, but I somehow doubt it. If they were back in mid sized venues again, I'd be there in a shot.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2022, 12:39:32 AM »
Some shots from the Feb. 5 show in Los Angeles

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:58:23 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2022, 01:59:39 AM »
Could you please post these again PG? I can only see that question mark in a blue square...
any rock can be made to roll

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2022, 04:32:37 AM »
Yeah, those pics aren't showing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2022, 07:30:06 AM »
Same

Offline pg1067

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2022, 10:59:27 AM »
@Fritzinger  @hefdaddy42  @ReaperKK

Hopefully my edit worked and you can now see them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM »
I’m so used to seeing the overhead rack on MM’s kit. Starting to look like MP is back hahaha

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2022, 02:10:14 PM »
@Fritzinger  @hefdaddy42  @ReaperKK

Hopefully my edit worked and you can now see them.
I see them now. Very nice!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2022, 02:23:55 PM »
Just based on what little I've seen I am loving those video screens.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2022, 03:15:12 PM »
I can see the pics now, and they're awesome!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2022, 03:37:40 PM »
Great pics, Paul!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »
 :tup

It's pretty amazing to see what you can do with a phone camera.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2022, 10:40:20 AM »
Great pics! :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2022, 06:52:08 AM »
Looks like MM brought his jazz set this time. Looks good! I'm guessing the size of his set doesn't change his inventive and multifaceted playing?
any rock can be made to roll

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2022, 09:20:39 AM »
I'm digging that stage setup.  Sparse, clean, very 80's (I immediately thought of Yes around the 90210 period).   I like what look to be the hydraulics on Jordan's keyboard stand (real, or prop?)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2022, 10:08:27 AM »
Looks like MM brought his jazz set this time. Looks good! I'm guessing the size of his set doesn't change his inventive and multifaceted playing?

I don't pay a ton of attention to the drumming, but I didn't notice anything missing.  I believe I've read stuff that said this was more or less the kit he used to record View (I follow him on Facebook, but I rarely read what he posts because he has a tendency to be long-winded).

I'm digging that stage setup.  Sparse, clean, very 80's (I immediately thought of Yes around the 90210 period).   I like what look to be the hydraulics on Jordan's keyboard stand (real, or prop?)

Real.  He did his usual rotating and tilting throughout the show.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2022, 10:17:59 AM »
I love the pics! What row and seat? Looks like roughly where I am. Far-left side of the stage, I'll be in row 2. I hope they're not too far to the side! Your view looks amazing!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2022, 10:39:28 AM »
I love the pics! What row and seat? Looks like roughly where I am. Far-left side of the stage, I'll be in row 2. I hope they're not too far to the side! Your view looks amazing!

I was in the left section of the pit.  It said row 6, but there were only four rows in the left section.  As you can see from the wide shot (2nd picture in my prior post), DT's stage setup did not take up the entire width of the stage at the Microsoft Theater.  I was on the aisle of the left section, so I was basically a few feet to the side of where JM's set up was.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2022, 10:48:39 AM »

I was in the left section of the pit.  It said row 6, but there were only four rows in the left section.  As you can see from the wide shot (2nd picture in my prior post), DT's stage setup did not take up the entire width of the stage at the Microsoft Theater.  I was on the aisle of the left section, so I was basically a few feet to the side of where JM's set up was.

Nice man. Looks like sick seats no doubt!
Can’t wait to see this tour.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2022, 02:35:36 PM »
I immediately thought of Yes around the 90210 period
Is that when Dylan, Brandon, Kelly and Brenda were in the band?   :biggrin:

I like what look to be the hydraulics on Jordan's keyboard stand (real, or prop?)
I imagine they're real. IIRC, he's used them in the past. In fact, I think there was one show where the hydraulics got stuck when he had the keyboard tilted towards the audience, and JR had to play the rest of the gig that way because they couldn't get the stand to readjust back to it's proper position.   :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2022, 11:52:48 PM »
I am a little sad tonight.

Never in the history of Dream Theater, have they ever visited the Pacific Northwest, and me not be there. And ironically enough, they were closer to my residence than they’ve ever been. On top of that, they are touring for an album I genuinely really like, and wanted to hear.

I mean, I’ve seen them 13 times, but it still feels like I broke with tradition. But between starting a brand new job, and helping my wife recover from knee surgery, I just couldn’t make it happen.  :'(
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2022, 03:27:32 AM »
I am a little sad tonight.

Never in the history of Dream Theater, have they ever visited the Pacific Northwest, and me not be there. And ironically enough, they were closer to my residence than they’ve ever been. On top of that, they are touring for an album I genuinely really like, and wanted to hear.

I mean, I’ve seen them 13 times, but it still feels like I broke with tradition. But between starting a brand new job, and helping my wife recover from knee surgery, I just couldn’t make it happen.  :'(
I was there, and I was keeping an eye out to see if I could spot you somewhere. .  It sounds like you did the right thing which is very commendable!   I'll post a review of the show in the concerts forum tomorrow.  I'm not trying to rub it in about how good it was, just want to share is all.   On the bright side,  they mentioned a second leg of the tour in the near future..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2022, 09:40:21 AM »
How was the Arena setting last night? How was it set up?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2022, 11:57:54 AM »
It was very nice, they set up the stage in the middle of the arena and curtained off the other half behind it. It was still a very big open space.  I came to realize that Dream Theater really comes across well in a arena type setting. They really cranked it up with that BIG sound and the lighting looked gorgeous in there. There sound system was definitely powerful enough to rock out any large arena. 
I posted a review over in the concerts section of the forum.  :coolio
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 01:11:33 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2022, 12:46:16 PM »

It was fantastic. There was still plenty of space available and it looks like very few seats on JP's side were sold. The floor had a great view. The sound was amazing!
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2022, 01:14:57 PM »

It was fantastic. There was still plenty of space available and it looks like very few seats on JP's side were sold. The floor had a great view. The sound was amazing!
The floor was packed, I was up a few rows on JPs side and had a perfect unobstructed view.  There was a decent turnout, but there would have been a lot more if it wasn't for damn covid..

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2022, 02:18:42 PM »
I really, really, love the clean look of the stage.
Not much into the central stripped courtain but of course the pattern called for it.
All in all I think it's my favorite of them as I've never liked any of their attempt to have a more complicated stage. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2022, 09:20:09 AM »
I loved what they did for The Astonishing tour. Even if they took away the screens, the light show alone from that tour was amazing.   Something like that would be cool for this tour.
If they do decide to use screens, imagine the visuals they could use for the title track. Scenes from mountian tops, big cliffs, soaring over clouds, giant waves, etc.
I kind of liked it, too. When they played in Dallas they had added the encore, and that made it much cooler. You had the subdued and thematic first two sets, and then for the encore you had a modern, state of the art lighting rig doing its thing. The contrast was shocking, yet really cool.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson