Author Topic: Man Cave sound system  (Read 2167 times)

Offline T-ski

Man Cave sound system
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:00:53 AM »
My new man cave is soon to be completed and I’m moving my music collection into it. I don’t feel like disconnecting our current home stereo equipment and moving it as well so I’m looking for an affordable sound system. 

Any suggestions, tips, leads, etc are appreciated.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Man Cave sound system
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:13:53 AM »
I'm a Denon fan, myself. 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:19:22 AM »
I know very little about this but I have some Klipsch speakers that sound really great.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:31 AM »
My new man cave is soon to be completed and I’m moving my music collection into it. I don’t feel like disconnecting our current home stereo equipment and moving it as well so I’m looking for an affordable sound system. 

What do you have so far? I have no suggestions but want to know what others are using to keep in mind for my eventual man cave.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:51:34 AM »

What do you have so far? I have no suggestions but want to know what others are using to keep in mind for my eventual man cave.

What do you mean? What do I currently have in the cave?

Online faizoff

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:58:18 AM »
Nevermind I mixed up what you wrote.

I didn't read the part where you were looking for a sound system.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »
Seems Denon mini systems are hard to come by.

This Onkyo seems to have good reviews, and this is damn good price. Anyone familiar with this brand?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 01:49:08 PM »
T-ski, are you just having music in the man cave or you watching movies?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 02:05:41 PM »
Onkyo has always been a top name brand.  Yamaha and Polk Audio are also really good.  You may have to pay more, but I've always been a firm believer that you get what you pay for and it doesn't have to be outrageously expensive either.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline T-ski

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
T-ski, are you just having music in the man cave or you watching movies?

I don’t plan on watching movies. The wife doesn’t like to be in the basement (where the man cave is) due to spiders and centipedes, and we have a nice set up already for movie viewing in our living room.

It is possible in the future however.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
Have you considered the possibility that nothing may sound good down there? I don't know what your basement's like, it may be a recording studio or it may be a concrete bunker. Bunkers aren't all that great for acoustics, though. Just pointing out that there might come a point of diminishing returns that makes cheap just as effective as good.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 04:11:44 PM »
Have you considered the possibility that nothing may sound good down there? I don't know what your basement's like, it may be a recording studio or it may be a concrete bunker. Bunkers aren't all that great for acoustics, though. Just pointing out that there might come a point of diminishing returns that makes cheap just as effective as good.

didn't think of that, but it isn't a concrete bunker.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
So I think I'm over thinking this....if I buy this Onkyo (which I found $10 cheaper at their website), and I wanted to get a blu ray player for movies or concerts, I can just plug it into the one auxiliary jack in the back, correct?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 06:06:42 AM »
Uuuu, looking at the back, I see RCA inputs for "line in" only.

That's it. No wired network input, no digital audio, no hdmi, no phono, no nothing. Man, the lack of peripheral connections on this thing would be a deal breaker to me. I'd at the very least need to have it connected to the home network so I could stream from my server without taking up bandwidth on the wifi.

Oh, and I wouldn't buy an Onkyo with my brother's money let alone mine.

Edit:

If you absolutely need to have a inexpensive, small, sound system I'd honestly wait until something like this is available again.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:12:34 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online faizoff

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 07:34:02 AM »
So I think I'm over thinking this....if I buy this Onkyo (which I found $10 cheaper at their website), and I wanted to get a blu ray player for movies or concerts, I can just plug it into the one auxiliary jack in the back, correct?

I just looked at my 7 year old Samsung Bluray player and it only has two ports in the back (HDMI and digital coaxial) you'd probably have to get some adapters to make it work to plug in to the sound system's RCA inputs.

Like Podaar mentioned I think I would look into more options for connectivity as it's always nice to have them down the line.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »
This is the best combo I can come up...

Denon AVR-s540bt receiver $280
Monoprice 10565 5.1 speakers $160
Sony smart bluray $80

So I’m floating around $525, which of course is $525 more than my wife wants to spend.  I figure the receiver is priority number one, and I’ll cut the corners elsewhere.  Still shopping around though.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
I have a Denon receiver
Energy speakers Energy Sub
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »

Sony smart bluray $80

So I’m floating around $525, which of course is $525 more than my wife wants to spend.

It's a Man Cave, not a wife cave.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »

Sony smart bluray $80

So I’m floating around $525, which of course is $525 more than my wife wants to spend.

Yeah! She can put whatever kind of sound she wants in her she shed.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:41:53 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »

Sony smart bluray $80

Damn straight!  :lol

We’ve been in our house for sixteen years and I’ve played nice about wanting my man cave the entire time. Funny thing is it’s only because of Covid that I’m getting it.  I haven’t been working since March and she basically said, clean out the basement and you can have your man cave. It’s now cleaned up, got electricity, scored some free tables and a couch from neighbors, and all that’s left is the toy part. The only thing I said I really wanted was a good sound system and a recliner....and maybe a mini fridge. My wife’s has been great during the whole process knowing full well she may never see me for long hours at a time.  ;D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 04:14:28 PM »
I'm kind of jealous that that's all it takes to make your man cave a haven for you. I had to have the 70 inch flat screen with 7.1 surround, a fireplace, PS4 Pro, a custom wet bar, and thousands of dollars worth of expensive booze!  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 04:21:28 PM »
I live alone, so my entire house is my man cave.  :2metal:

Offline T-ski

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 05:32:52 PM »
I'm kind of jealous that that's all it takes to make your man cave a haven for you. I had to have the 70 inch flat screen with 7.1 surround, a fireplace, PS4 Pro, a custom wet bar, and thousands of dollars worth of expensive booze!  :lol

I do have a 50 inch tv that will be in there and eventually 5.1 sound.  I'm not much of a gamer but do have a Wii me and the kid goof around on once and awhile.  If space wasn't an issue I'd definitely go bigger!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 06:12:46 AM »

I do have a 50 inch tv that will be in there and eventually 5.1 sound.  I'm not much of a gamer but do have a Wii me and the kid goof around on once and awhile.  If space wasn't an issue I'd definitely go bigger!

My faith is restored. For a minute there, I was picturing a 12 x 12 cement walled bunker, with second-hand furniture, your new stereo, a collection of CD's, a pile of books in the corner, and a content T-ski leaning back in his recliner. There was a time when that tableau, for myself, would have made me happier than a pig in shit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 07:24:21 AM »
I do have this fantasy - wrong word, really, but... - of having an underground bunker in the backyard, say, 25' x 25', that's just like the inside of the best bar you've ever been to.   Bar on the left, fully stocked, pool table, 70' TV (with full wired sound)... 

I'm not sure why "underground" is so important to me, but I figure if the world gets too out of hand at least I can play PS4, drink Blue Moon, and listen to Iron Maiden at volume.   ;)

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »
I do have this fantasy - wrong word, really, but... - of having an underground bunker in the backyard, say, 25' x 25', that's just like the inside of the best bar you've ever been to.   Bar on the left, fully stocked, pool table, 70' TV (with full wired sound)... 

I'm not sure why "underground" is so important to me, but I figure if the world gets too out of hand at least I can play PS4, drink Blue Moon, and listen to Iron Maiden at volume.   ;)

You should have that bunker in some nearby hills though  ;)