Author Topic: Gimmicky & Honky  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Gimmicky & Honky
« on: July 26, 2020, 09:54:06 PM »
What does these expressions mean? I tried looking them up and got nowhere.
Some context: I felt like revisiting Metallica's Some Kind of Monster DVD so I dug it out and been watching the extras.
This is one of the extras, Bob Rock was recording his bass lines for My World while James and Lars produce him basically. It's pretty funny cause they pretty much treat him the way he does them when he's in the producer's chair heh
Rock changes the distortion effect a couple of times on the bass and James calls the sounds "gimmicky" and "honky". I know the words but I don't get the meaning in this context.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline pg1067

Re: Gimmicky & Honky
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:13:50 PM »
Probably a better question for the Metallica thread on the general music discussion board.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Gimmicky & Honky
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »
Shit, I totally forgot about this!
My bad, I just figured to ask musicians since these words were said about music, not really Metallica specific even though it's a Metallica example.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.