Author Topic: The Nevermore Appreciation Thread  (Read 49375 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The Nevermore Appreciation Thread
« Reply #420 on: April 24, 2018, 02:12:10 PM »
Ah. The second solo album, eh? I wonder how much of it was actually finished. Hopefully enough so it isn't really doctored, and was mostly all of Warrel's decision making. I'll want it, but not if it was something half-finished and then other people made all the creative choices.

His guitarist has been quoted as saying that the instruments were pretty much done. Warrel died while he was laying down vocals. It's not clear how much of those he completed but there was some done, from what I am getting.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #421 on: April 24, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »
Ah. The second solo album, eh? I wonder how much of it was actually finished. Hopefully enough so it isn't really doctored, and was mostly all of Warrel's decision making. I'll want it, but not if it was something half-finished and then other people made all the creative choices.

His guitarist has been quoted as saying that the instruments were pretty much done. Warrel died while he was laying down vocals. It's not clear how much of those he completed but there was some done, from what I am getting.

Thanks for confirming. Yeah, that's generally what I remember too. I assume they have demo recordings of his vocals they could use on other songs. But if the quality isn't there...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #422 on: May 03, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »
Came across this link regarding the passing of Tim Calvert, who played on Dreaming Neon Black.  It's a very long writeup about his time in Forbidden, but the end has a nice bit about how he joined Nevermore, wrote DNB, and then exited the band, along with how he became a pilot.

https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121073

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2018, 07:15:58 PM »
Came across this link regarding the passing of Tim Calvert, who played on Dreaming Neon Black.  It's a very long writeup about his time in Forbidden, but the end has a nice bit about how he joined Nevermore, wrote DNB, and then exited the band, along with how he became a pilot.

Dreaming Neon Black is still my favorite Nevermore album. Loved Calvert's work on that with Jeff. It's a shame things got messy at the end, as I'd have loved to have seen where the band might have gone with him still there.

RIP Tim Calvert.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: May 07, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »

Grapp, thanks for posting that. I knew of Tim from DNB, but didn't know any of that background. Eye opening. Really a shame he is no longer with us. ALS is a monster. My grandfather passed away from it. But he was in his 80s when it hit. My thoughts are with Tim's family and extended family. Seems like he was living his dream before it got to him. RIP.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

« Reply #425 on: August 07, 2018, 06:50:12 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

https://www.facebook.com/centurymedia/posts/10156716265739656

WARREL DANE - Final Recordings Released In October!

On December 13th, 2017, the worldwide metal community mourned the passing of a truly unique voice, an extremely gifted songwriter, and above all a wonderful human being, that will be dearly missed: WARREL DANE, who died of a heart attack during the recordings of his second solo album in Sćo Paulo, Brazil.

Renowned for his work in Sanctuary and Nevermore as well as a solo artist, in 2014 Warrel had teamed up with Brazilian musicians Johnny Moraes (guitar), Thiago Oliveira (guitar), Fabio Carito (bass) and Marcus Dotta (drums) as his touring band and ultimately this successful collaboration led to plans for a new studio album. Recordings for “Shadow Work”, the follow-up to 2008’s “Praises to the War Machine”, started in fall 2017 at Orra Meu Studio, Sćo Paulo, and Travis Smith commenced to create the artwork following a concept and ideas previously discussed with Warrel.

After reviewing the material that could actually be completed using vocals from various studio and pre-production sessions with Warrel, the decision was made to release his final recordings as “Shadow Work”
on October 26th, 2018.

“We are looking forward to release these 40 minutes of music in October. We and many other workmates at Century Media Records have known Warrel for years, have been through thick and thin, and are fans of his art just like the many, many people supporting him since the 80s. The dedication his band, Travis Smith and our team invested in completing “Shadow Work” was astonishing and the entire record carries an eerie atmosphere of Warrel already feeling that this might be his last work. It is heartbreaking that he was right in the end. Rest in peace, friend.”
Jens Prüter, Head of A&R & Stefan Franke, Product Manager // Century Media Records

A first song and presales will be available August 31st, 2018.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #426 on: August 31, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »
More details have been released and the first song has dropped. Super heavy!

Song is contained in the story at the link below.

https://bravewords.com/news/warrel-dane-first-listen-to-the-final-recordings-by-the-late-sanctuary-nevermore-legend

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #427 on: August 31, 2018, 09:48:51 AM »
That was pretty good. If only he didn't pass, these vocals would've been way way better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: August 31, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »
Hmm. Not bad for something that generally wasn't completed, vocally. I feel kinda weird about this. On one hand, it's Warrel, and I must have. On the other hand, its a cash-grab and I feel a little guilty. I mean, it wasn't finished, and finished without Warrel's input. I'll buy it, but have reservations.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #429 on: August 31, 2018, 10:12:13 AM »
Hmm. Not bad for something that generally wasn't completed, vocally. I feel kinda weird about this. On one hand, it's Warrel, and I must have. On the other hand, its a cash-grab and I feel a little guilty. I mean, it wasn't finished, and finished without Warrel's input. I'll buy it, but have reservations.

I don't feel its a cash grab. I feel a lets finish what Warrel started vibe. It sounds eerie, exactly like the album title, he sounds as if he is singing from the shadows.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #430 on: August 31, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »

I'm with Ben_Jamin on this. It doesn't really feel like a cash grab to me, but rather a means of finishing Warren's final project and help give everyone some closure. And if the rest of the album matches this song's quality, I think it'll be a fitting closing chapter in Warrel's catalogue.

Also, I'm kind of surprised at how great this whole band is. That's some of the heaviest stuff he's ever done, I think.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: August 31, 2018, 11:09:41 AM »

I don't feel its a cash grab. I feel a lets finish what Warrel started vibe. It sounds eerie, exactly like the album title, he sounds as if he is singing from the shadows.

That's a really good point, Ben. Thank you. I'll take it in that context. That helps.  :tup

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #432 on: August 31, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »

That's a really good point, Ben. Thank you. I'll take it in that context. That helps.  :tup

It also helps that the music  :metal

Online Grappler

« Reply #433 on: August 31, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
That's awesome - Warrel had said that this record would be heavier than Praises to the War Machine, and it certainly lives up to it.  I don't think this is a cash grab at all and agree that the band just wanted to finish what Warrel could not.  Legal crap held up the second Control Denied record after Chuck Schuldiner's death - it's nice to see that the band, Century Media and Travis Smith (at least the parties involved that I know of) have all come together to put this album out.

One of the band members is Thiago, who if I'm not mistaken, is the same guy that put together all of that Dream Theater - ADTOE/Images & Words comparison stuff.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #434 on: September 04, 2018, 05:14:52 AM »
This single sounds promising. Even the music tries to be like Nevermore, especially the arpeggios being played during the vocals. The music sounds like Peter Wichers was not involved. He co-wrote/produced and played on the last album. Praises... was good but I found it too typically modern. (For lack of a better term.)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: September 04, 2018, 05:36:35 AM »
I feel bad for saying this, but I didn't think that was very good at all.  You can tell the vocals are chopped, stretched, altered, whatever to try and make them fit but it just doesn't sound right at all.  I don't know, I know what they are trying to do and release his music as a tribute, but it's just really disjointed and the vocals and music don't work well together at all.  I know they are working with what they have also but is it right to release this was subpar unfinished vocals?  I'm wondering if it's more respectful not to release it at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #436 on: October 22, 2018, 07:13:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_ZdiY5MiE

They just released this 11 minute making of video for Shadow Work. They had filmed footage for it before Warrel passed away and it's cool to see him working on what was supposed to be his 80 minute long Magnum Opus. Also sad because you can see how much in poor health the man was at the time.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #437 on: October 23, 2018, 04:06:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_ZdiY5MiE

Man, that's sad. Cool that they added the band members' heartfelt thoughts.

No matter what the vocals sound like, I think the music will kick major ass.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2018, 04:37:05 AM »
Only 1 listen so far...
It's heavy as fuk, and the band sound like they're trying to be Nevermore, which is fine by me.
Lots of Loomis style riffing and arpeggios everywhere.
Warrell's vocals are good, just the same as we were used to.

Definitely worth a listen.

Online Grappler

« Reply #439 on: October 29, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »
I didn't watch that little documentary, but I did skip through it a little.  Sad to see Warrel in such ill health, but you wouldn't know it based on this album.  His vocals sound great, even if they're not all final takes.  Musically, it's awesome and it's nice to hear him on some really heavy stuff again.  I'm glad that the band was able to complete what they could and release it. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
Just got my physical copy. It's a really well done media book with 44 pages. Each band member gives a tribute on their credit page and Travis Smith has an essay in there paying tribute as well.

All the music was written by Thiago. Roy Z was involved in the pre-production, not sure how much but he is credited.

Just did a quick spot check and it certainly is heavy. I'll be giving it a full listen on Sunday as I have some driving to do and I can focus on it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: November 13, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »
Just got my physical copy. It's a really well done media book with 44 pages. Each band member gives a tribute on their credit page and Travis Smith has an essay in there paying tribute as well.

All the music was written by Thiago. Roy Z was involved in the pre-production, not sure how much but he is credited.

Just did a quick spot check and it certainly is heavy. I'll be giving it a full listen on Sunday as I have some driving to do and I can focus on it.

Agreed on the media book. I am listening for the first time now...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: September 13, 2022, 10:34:38 AM »
Four year bump and I was the last to post in this thread. lol.

I miss Nevermore. Listening to the remixed version of Enemies of Reality this morning, and man, just such a great band. The only time I saw them was on their last tour, and it wasn't a good show. A lot of internal strife on stage that was apparent. But so glad I got a chance to see them live, even if they weren't all on the same page.

Sucks that all this great music is being forgotten about. Wish Loomis would bring the band back. It'd be different, but there's no way around that...

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

« Reply #443 on: September 13, 2022, 10:50:23 AM »
One of my biggest concert regrets was not letting Warrel sneak us into a show back in 1999.  I'm not sure if this thread has my story or not:

In the spring of 1999, Iced Earth was touring on the Something Wicked record and had Nevermore opening.  They were playing tiny little clubs.  I went with my friends at the time - we tried to get in the front door and weren't let in because we were all under 21. 

The hotel next door to the bar was where the bands were staying.  So we hung in the parking lot with some mutual acquaintances from the Chicago metal scene (primarily Neil G., the Iced Earth webmaster from that period).  All of the guys in Iced Earth and Nevermore came out from the hotel and we met them all.  Warrel was drunk off his ass and when we said that we couldn't get in to the show, he offered to take us in through the back door and walk us through the bar's kitchen. 

My friend wimped out and said "I'd love to, but I really don't want to get arrested." so none of us went in and we sadly missed a badass Nevermore/Iced Earth tour, even though Warrel would have tried to get us in.  At least I have my copy of Dreaming Neon Black signed from that night.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: September 13, 2022, 11:03:32 AM »
That's a great story!

You should have went in! lol.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Awaken

« Reply #445 on: September 13, 2022, 11:25:59 AM »

I miss Nevermore. Listening to the remixed version of Enemies of Reality this morning, and man, just such a great band. The only time I saw them was on their last tour, and it wasn't a good show. A lot of internal strife on stage that was apparent. But so glad I got a chance to see them live, even if they weren't all on the same page.

Sucks that all this great music is being forgotten about. Wish Loomis would bring the band back. It'd be different, but there's no way around that...

I would pay a lot to get to see them play again.  I missed them every time they were close by, and I regret not traveling 'on a work night'.  One of my all time favorite bands - it's hard watching Jeff using his talent in Arch Enemy.  I understand why - it just feels like such a waste of his talents.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: September 13, 2022, 11:28:27 AM »
it's hard watching Jeff using his talent in Arch Enemy.  I understand why - it just feels like such a waste of his talents.

Agree completely. He doesn't get to write a damn thing. So frustrating.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online nick_z

« Reply #447 on: September 13, 2022, 11:45:51 AM »
Love Nevermore!

Around the time Dead Heart came out they were one of my favorite bands. I remember liking their debut album well enough (incidentally, at the time I wasn't familiar with Sanctuary), but I felt they really kicked it up a notch with The Politics of Ecstasy (The In Memory EP was pretty tasty too). It was far from a perfect album, but I loved that they really went for it...and the guitar work was spectacular.

But then Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart in a Dead World solidified my fandom. The first was such a unique, heavy and dark record (the title track is such a hauntingly beautiful song) and the second, well, is an absolute metal classic to start the 2000s. A little more straightforward, perhaps, but it's hard to argue with the songs.

Enemies of Reality was a more difficult record to like, but I agree the subsequent remixed version was a big improvement. Some pretty "extreme" stuff in there...my appreciation for it has grown over time, for sure.

The Godless Endeavor is another great album. Kind of a summation of the different elements of their sound. As for the Obsidian Conspiracy - I didn't mind them going for a more streamlined approach, but it never truly wowed me the same way the other Nevermore records did. I actually enjoyed Dane's first solo record much more.

Yep, it'd be a shame if such great music wasn't played again, in some shape or form...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: September 13, 2022, 02:15:48 PM »

I've been rediscovering them also as I've used a couple of songs for a roulette.  They were monstrous.  This Godless Endeavor, what an album!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: September 13, 2022, 03:29:41 PM »
As for the Obsidian Conspiracy - I didn't mind them going for a more streamlined approach, but it never truly wowed me the same way the other Nevermore records did.

That was the tour I saw. The show in San Fran was such a bummer. I got there earlier. Said hello to Warrel as he was heading down the street and he said hello. I was one of the first folks in, got a shirt (still have it), and when they took the stage, Warrel was clearly trying to egg both Jeff and Jim into an altercation. Neither gave in, and Warrel struggled through the set. I remember being let down at the time. I barely remember the songs being played. But I'm glad, now, that I went.

As for the record itself, I'm going back through it. I like it more than I remember.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Realm

« Reply #450 on: September 13, 2022, 03:32:04 PM »
Yes, I also love Nevermore. I have to admit that Warrel's vocals took a while to grow on me but once they did, Nevermore became one of my favourite bands. Some really great stuff. Dead Heart in a Dead World is the album that made me a fan but I like all of them really and much prefer the remix of Enemies.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: September 13, 2022, 03:38:54 PM »
TOC was such a let down after TGE.  I could revisit it though.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #452 on: September 13, 2022, 04:02:31 PM »
TOC was such a let down after TGE.  I could revisit it though.

Totally agree with this.  But (at least for me) that was inevitable - TGE is a desert island album for me, there was very little chance they were going to top it.  TOC was still a very good album IMO, I enjoyed the change in approach.

Online nick_z

« Reply #453 on: September 13, 2022, 04:12:17 PM »
Looks like TGE is a favorite, at least among those who are posting here...

For me, as much as I love the album, it's not quite on par with Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart. There's something about those that makes them "especially special". Maybe in part it's because they came first...

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: September 13, 2022, 04:14:33 PM »
Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart in a Dead World are their two best, IMO. Hands down.  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com