Author Topic: The Nevermore Appreciation Thread  (Read 49705 times)

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Nevermore Appreciation Thread
« Reply #350 on: January 04, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »
Albums
1. Dreaming Neon Black
2. Dead Heart in a Dead World
3. This Godless Endeavor
4. Nevermore
5. The Politics of Ecstasy
6. The Obsidian Conspiracy
7. Enemies of Reality
GTFO

On the self-titled, they still sounded like Sanctuary. You have "What Tomorrow Knows", "C.B.F.", "The Sanity Assassin", "Sea of Possibilities", and "God Money."

Kelly Gray fucked up the production on Enemies of Reality to such an extent that none of the songs are even listenable. Even if the production didn't suck balls, you'd still have this abrasive groove/death sound with nu-metal tendencies.

Check out the remix. It's like a totally different album. Brutal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: January 04, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
Yeah, it gives it a whole new life.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #352 on: January 04, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »
The Obsidian Conspiracy is considered their worst offering, but I find myself coming back to that one more than Enemies of Reality (which I only play for that solo on I, Voyager).

Really wish they would reform though... Warrel isn't going to proceed without Jeff (who is busy wasting his talent in Arch Enemy), so I'll just look forward to new Sanctuary.
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »
I'd probably call it their weakest album too.  I should give it another spin.

That new Sanctuary didn't do much for me either.

I'd love to see Chris back in Arch Enemy and Nevermore reform.  Perfect situation.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2016, 11:03:10 PM »
The comeback album was pretty solid.
I remember the old albums back in the day, but was never a massive fan of them.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #355 on: April 19, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »
Is Jeff Loomis a full time member of Arch Enemy? I'm curious to see if he'll record and write on their next album. And I agree, it's a waste of his talent. He could be legendary, he just needs a new band, one that is his. Nevermore was that band, hope they reform.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: April 19, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
Is Jeff Loomis a full time member of Arch Enemy?

Yes.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #357 on: April 19, 2016, 08:09:27 PM »
Oh my fuckin god! This is a dream come true! I had no idea.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: April 19, 2016, 11:53:55 PM »
Oh my fuckin god! This is a dream come true! I had no idea.

He's been in there quite a while now.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #359 on: April 20, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »
I got bored with them when I heard Rise of the Tyrant. Even the title was uninspired considering how 70% of all media released since 2005 has "rise of the" or "real housewives of" in the title. Knowing Angela was no longer fronting them was like the final nail in the coffin but having Jeff totally changes my outlook.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: April 20, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
Rise of the Tyrant is probably my fav, I love it.  Everything after that hasn't interested me.  The new chick is good enough but the album just didn't do it for me.  I wasn't a fan of the second guitarist after Chris left, but like you, an album with Jeff would totally respark my interest.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #361 on: April 20, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »
Albums
1. Dreaming Neon Black
2. Dead Heart in a Dead World
3. This Godless Endeavor
4. Nevermore
5. The Politics of Ecstasy
6. The Obsidian Conspiracy
7. Enemies of Reality
GTFO

On the self-titled, they still sounded like Sanctuary. You have "What Tomorrow Knows", "C.B.F.", "The Sanity Assassin", "Sea of Possibilities", and "God Money."

Kelly Gray fucked up the production on Enemies of Reality to such an extent that none of the songs are even listenable. Even if the production didn't suck balls, you'd still have this abrasive groove/death sound with nu-metal tendencies.

Check out the remix. It's like a totally different album. Brutal.

Enemies of Reality was the first album to come out whilst being into the band, and indeed: the first thing that I noticed was how muffled and garage-like that album sounded. Nonetheless I came to love the filthy little thrash record it is. When the remix came out, it shed a different and clearer light on it. But nowadays, if I listen to it, I'd rather have the Kelly Gray mix. Take Seed Awakening for example. That first riff is so brutal, and when the drums enter it's just insane. But on the remix, the drums sound like some VST instrument plug-in. I'd rather have something less hi-fi in that case.

Not to 'validate' my opinion or anything, but the AllMusic review actually praises the Kelly Gray mix. It's interesting.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: April 20, 2016, 02:59:55 PM »
I know the Andy Sneap once sounds better, but I'd probably chuck on the Kelly Gray one too.  I think knowing that the Sneap version is still there, you can warm to the Gray version a lot more.  At the time of release I'm not sure how it would have gone down.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
EoR is my second favorite right after Dead Heart.

Honestly even though the production sucks, EoR is all killer no filler. Every song kicks ass. TGE is good but nothing compares to either Dead Heart or EoR.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #364 on: April 30, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
EOR was my intro to them so I've never had any issues with the production whatsoever since I was just thinking this is what they generally sounded like. Even after hundreds of hours of listening to their other albums, I'm unfazed. I guess I'm lucky. And yeah, EOR and DHIADW are definitely my top two just in a different order than yours. I need to get into DNB more though since enough people dickride that so I'd imagine it may grow on me more over time.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #365 on: May 03, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »
Was just listening to Obsidian Conspiracy. I think it's one of their best. The songs are really tight and it works great for what they were doing. I prefer it over TGE.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »
So I've only recently gotten into The Obisidian Conspiracy more, and while I have to say that I totally understand why people don't like it as much - there's a couple songs here that are just kinda super bland, like Emptiness Unobstructed and Your Poison Throne - I do think that the best songs on this album - The Blue Marble and the New Soul, She Comes in Colors and the title track - are definitely among the best stuff that Nevermore has ever done. The title track is fucking :metal :metal :metal.

Shame, really, that they don't exist anymore. They're one band that I would have loved to see live.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »
I got into them after Gigantour, it was a great show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline NotePad

« Reply #368 on: September 21, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
Warrel Dane's voice is so drastically different then it was on earlier Sanctuary albums. His style of singing is totally different. Way more drastic of a change then even Tobias Sammet's voice change from sounding like Kiske to how he is now. Warrel sounded like Galore with a touch of Tate.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
Is Jeff Loomis a full time member of Arch Enemy? I'm curious to see if he'll record and write on their next album. And I agree, it's a waste of his talent. He could be legendary, he just needs a new band, one that is his. Nevermore was that band, hope they reform.

I totally agree. Not melodic enough. Nevermore needs to get back together and tour with Witherfall. Jeff Loomis and Jake Dreyer (on the new Iced Earth record as well) on the same bill would be a guitar nerds dream!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
Count me in if there ever was a Nevermore/Witherfall tour.

I got into Nevermore around the time of Enemies of Reality. I saw them my first and only time one of the last shows they did on the Obsidian Conspiracy tour, and it was NOT good. Loomis wouldn't even look at Dane. And Dane was ranting from the stage and saying ship about Shepherd. It was ugly.

They did the show, but it was pretty uncomfortable watching that implosion really fester on stage.

But I hope they all can mend fences. Great band and to be honest, this is going to sound cheesy, but metal needs Nevermore. They just have such a power and uniqueness that I think is missing from a lot of the bands of the genre.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Art

« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »
Great band. My favorite album is DHIADW, and i saw them on that tour. I really like PoE, DNB and EoR, too. their last album didn't did it for me at the time, maybe i'll revisit it.

The new Sanctuary is good, but not as good as Nevermore was in their prime.

The River Dragon Has Come is such an amazing song, probably my favorite.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2017, 08:32:46 PM »
Abut a year ago, Warrel confirmed that they were offered a slot for a reunion show at Progpower USA in a post on the Nevermore forum.  Jeff was on board, but they couldn't get the details worked out with Arch Enemy's management...Angela wouldn't allow Jeff to play the show.

Warrel then deleted the post.  It at least confirms that the members are talking and maybe it could happen someday.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
Abut a year ago, Warrel confirmed that they were offered a slot for a reunion show at Progpower USA in a post on the Nevermore forum.  Jeff was on board, but they couldn't get the details worked out with Arch Enemy's management...Angela wouldn't allow Jeff to play the show.

Warrel then deleted the post.  It at least confirms that the members are talking and maybe it could happen someday.

Interesting. The strange thing about that is if Jeff and Warrel felt they could pick up again full time (and that's a bit IF), they'd be just as, if not more popular than Arch Enemy. And Angela probably knows that. So if they can reconcile on a permanent basis, I doubt Jeff will stay with Arch Enemy. We'll see in the next year or so. I wouldn't be surprised if they were covertly working on an album, and planning something huge for 2018.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Art

« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
Listening to DNB right now, what an unique album. i get strong Queensryche-vibes off this one. Great stuff!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #375 on: June 27, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »
Listening to DNB right now, what an unique album. i get strong Queensryche-vibes off this one. Great stuff!

My personal favorite Nevermore album! Love the mood on that one, even if it's one that I can only ever revisit on special occasions.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #376 on: July 01, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »
I don't think there is any other song more perfectly suited for hair flying around than this bad boy, specifically the first 60 seconds....

The Seven Tongues of God:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjCpQ6L83Q

Offline Art

« Reply #377 on: December 13, 2017, 07:17:37 AM »
Very sad news coming from multiple metal news sites here in Brazil, reporting that Warrell Dane died in the late hours of tuesday/early today morning, from a heart attack. He was in Sao Paulo, recording his next solo album. I have not seen any international news source reporting this yet, but it looks real.  RIP :(

Some links in portuguese:
https://roadie-metal.com/warrel-dane-morre-vocalista-ao-48-anos-na-cidade-de-sao-paulo/

https://boainformacao.com.br/2017/12/ex-vocalista-do-nevermore-morre-aos-48-anos-ele-gravava-disco-no-brasil-13-12-2017/

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #378 on: December 13, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
Very sad news coming from multiple metal news sites here in Brazil, reporting that Warrell Dane died in the late hours of tuesday/early today morning, from a heart attack. He was in Sao Paulo, recording his next solo album. I have not seen any international news source reporting this yet, but it looks real.  RIP :(

Some links in portuguese:
https://roadie-metal.com/warrel-dane-morre-vocalista-ao-48-anos-na-cidade-de-sao-paulo/

https://boainformacao.com.br/2017/12/ex-vocalista-do-nevermore-morre-aos-48-anos-ele-gravava-disco-no-brasil-13-12-2017/

Holy crap! Looks to be true. It's just starting to break here. Wow. This is pretty sad.

Trying to wrap my head around this. So young to die like that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

« Reply #379 on: December 13, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »
Devastating.  I got to meet most of Nevermore when they opened for Iced Earth back in 1999, outside of the venue.  So I got to chat with a very drunken Warrel and get his autograph, but we were all too young to get into the 21+ concert.  In retrospect, we should have snuck into the show with him (he offered to bring us in through the club's kitchen) - what's the worst that would happen?  They'd kick us out.

I was so excited to see Sanctuary open for Iced Earth in a few months, so I could finally get to hear Warrel sing.  I'm going to miss his music - he was a tremendous vocalist and lyricist.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #380 on: December 13, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
That sucks. Not really a fan (since they were there I saw Nevermore anyway at Wacken), but that a respected and well known member of the scene would die so suddenly and so young, it's a pity.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #381 on: December 13, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
Damn! I saw this thread had new posts and got my hopes up that there was a reunion in the works...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #382 on: December 13, 2017, 10:40:24 AM »
Very sad to hear. Rip Dane. Became a huge fan of the band when godless endeavor came out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #383 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »
Terrible news. Big Nevermore fan and love Warrels vocals. I also thought he was a neat guy by his interviews regarding his philosophies and thoughts on things. "Born" is one of my all-time favorite tunes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »
Huge Nevermore fan, this is such sad and shocking news.  48, can't believe it.