Author Topic: The Nevermore Appreciation Thread  (Read 49928 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: The Nevermore Appreciation Thread
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2011, 12:45:02 AM »
Added. Hopefully he accepts.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2011, 12:48:12 AM »
He didn't accept mine awhile back lol

Offline BanksD

« Reply #247 on: October 13, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »
Been getting into this band recently, though I've only really listened to Dead Heart, Enemies, and This Godless Endeavor, i love everything i've heard so far  :tup

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2011, 05:17:06 PM »
When I'm not broke, I'd like to buy some more of their albums. A while back, there was pretty much their whole discography used at Zia.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #249 on: October 13, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
I own copies of EOR and TGE, but I still have yet to get Dead Heart (borrowed from a friend a while back)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #250 on: October 13, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
Politics of Ecstasy is pretty damn underrated around these parts.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2011, 06:41:36 PM »
The title track being a top 5 Nevermore song for me.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline BanksD

« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »
My top 5 would probably be

5. Born
4. Who Decides
3. Never Purify
2. This Godless Endeavor
1. Sentient 6

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T61X60Vwktg

This album is going to slay.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
So we could've been having this as early as the 90s if Warrel had just managed to let his hammish personality blow it up several years more quickly than it wound up taking?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
So we could've been having this as early as the 90s if Warrel had just managed to let his hammish personality blow it up several years more quickly than it wound up taking?
The Obsidian Conspiracy is such a great album though.  I'm looking extremely forward to this though, April 10th is so close yet so far!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
Ya know, I've had that album on my hard drive since it came out and didn't listen to it back then because I was going through some bad times and didn't wanna associate the memories of that album with what was going on in my life and then I forgot to get back in touch with it. I need to give it another go soon.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: March 25, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »
Obsidian Conspiracy was one disappointing album IMO. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
Obsidian Conspiracy has some great moments (the title track especially), but it doesn't live up to the holy trinity.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
It was just a massive step down in every way.  It's decent, but after TGE, it's just a let down.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #260 on: September 20, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
I'm currently listening to Dreaming Neon Black. One of the greatest albums ever made in my opinion. :metal

I wish I had gotten the chance to see Nevermore live before the split happened. :(
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #261 on: September 21, 2013, 02:57:05 AM »
I'm currently listening to Dreaming Neon Black. One of the greatest albums ever made in my opinion. :metal

I wish I had gotten the chance to see Nevermore live before the split happened. :(

Same here. Damn me for that day I had the ticket but couldn't go 'cuz of my temperature.
And yes, DNB is really awesome.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2013, 07:50:04 AM »
Saw them opening for Opeth when Nevermore was touring for TGE. Fucking awesome. Made the disappointment of everything after that tour twice as hard to take.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
Ah damn I really wish this band was still together. I hope Warrel Dane doesn't try to keep Nevermore going without Jeff Loomis.

I was never a big fan of Dreaming Neon Black. Never got what was so great about it. Dead Heart on the other hand is a masterpiece. They really showed what they could do on that one. Dead Heart and Enemies of Reality are, imo, their 2 best albums.

I liked Godless Endeavor, but felt to me like something was not right. Whatever made Dead Heart and Enemies so great was there. It was good, and very dark. Kind of a mix of old Nevermore like DNB, mixed with Dead heart/Enemies.

I think what it is is that I prefer Nevermore when Loomis is the only guitarists and songwriter. I know they have a 2nd guitarist on tour because Loomis writes their songs for 2 guitar parts. He is clearly insistent that Nevermore is a 2 guitarist band. They brought in that guy Steve Smyth i think for Godless as an official member and writer. He helped write a lot of Godless endeavor. I think that's the problem, as i see it.

Loomis wrote Dead Heart, Enemies and the last one all by himself. 2 guitar tracks, right? But all Loomis. He's awesome. His style is kickass and he writes a variety of styles. Those 3 albums have a sound that i like to describe as 'metallic'. Godless was darker and more brooding, less metallic.

Too bad they split. Really sucks. Clearly Loomis is awesome and knows how to write songs. I reaaaaally hope he forms a new band soon. With a better singer (i like warrel, but i was starting to tire of him.). I have a feeling that if Loomis forms a new band, they will be the next Megadath ;)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #264 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
ahhh tee nay. I tend to credit Essen Smyth for taking them one step further with TGE.

too bad Broderick wasn't around long enough to do an album. he seemed to really enjoy playing with them (then aain, he goes all perma-grin no matter who hes playing with, doesn't he?)

Offline NotePad

« Reply #265 on: December 10, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
I'm not too familiar with him, but he's in or was in Megadeth right? I'v just been getting into them. Bought their new one, Super Collider. First listen, thought i made a huge mistake. But it's growing on me. People complain that it's not thrash. But i hear some in there. I don't mind them expirimenting a bit. I have also heard The System Has Failed, and the songs i heard are fuckin awesome. Need to buy that one. But this isn't a megadeth thread so i'll shut up.

...but wouldn't it have been awesome if Jeff Loomis HAD joined Megadeth? You heard the story of him auditioning when he was younger. Never made it cuz he was too young. But damn, imagine him writing songs with Mustaine. My god....

Guess we all have different likes. I know a LOT of people considered Godless Endeaver of of the greatest metal albums when it first came out. And lots still do. I'v heard it called one of the best Guitar albums ever. It is great. But I guess I just like pure Loomis written songs.

Maybe Loomis quit because they didn't have enough commercial success. If you listen to Dead Heart or Enemies, there are songs in there that sound like attempts at making it mainstream. And those songs i'm referring too are some of their best. I find that on the solely Loomis written albums there is more melody. That's why i like them the most.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #266 on: December 11, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »
Wow. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but you're completely at odds to everyone else's about TGE. The general consensus was that it was a massive step UP in quality from Enemies (which is generally regarded as being a decidedly average Nevermore album, even before the dreadful mix it had originally) and that Steve Smyth's arrival making the band an ACTUAL two guitar band was one of the reasons why. I saw Nevermore open for Opeth on the tour for TGE and they were awe inspiring with that line up, and I can't help but think Smyth having to leave the band for health reasons was a major reason why they began to fall apart. It was a bad sign when the solo albums started coming too, especially given how huge TGE had been and its general reception at the time. Kind of wish TGE had been their last album, it would have made a hell of a swan song.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: December 11, 2013, 07:48:13 AM »
If you want a true representation of Chris Broderick's talent, Megadeth's album "Endgame" will shit down your throat.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #268 on: December 11, 2013, 07:50:53 AM »
Unfortunately, so will Mustaine's voice.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #269 on: December 11, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »
...but wouldn't it have been awesome if Jeff Loomis HAD joined Megadeth? You heard the story of him auditioning when he was younger. Never made it cuz he was too young. But damn, imagine him writing songs with Mustaine. My god....

loomis joining megadave at 16 wouldn't have been any good. we woulda missed out on both nevermore AND the marty years

...Kind of wish TGE had been their last album, it would have made a hell of a swan song.

s'pose im in the minority, but I rather enjoy TOC. and especially surprised the DHIADW fanboys don't like it more. its the most stylistically comparable album, and possibly nearly just as strong (or stronger).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:35:03 AM by pain of occupation »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »
Yeah, TOC is a fantastic album  :tup

Offline NotePad

« Reply #271 on: December 11, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
Since it first came out, I realize I'v been at odd with fans about TGE. I like it. But i just feel it's missing what Dead Heart and Enemies had. I liked the somewhat 'sentimental' moments those albums had. I'm talking about Heart Collector (one of their best), the melodic moments of We Disintegrate, River Dragon, etc.. And from Enemies, Tomorrow Turned and Who Decides- these ones are personal faves of mine. I felt TGE lacked those elements. I still like it, but I don't listen to in nearly as much as those 2. And, unfortunately, i have yet to hear Obsidian Conspiracy. I kinda stopped paying attention to music for awhile, but I'm back now.

I was actually happy when i found out it was only Loomis on TOC. And yeah, when members start doing solo albums like that it's never a good sign. Have yet to hear them, but I guess i kinda assumed Dane's would just come off as sounding like a poor man's Nevermore. But i'v yet to hear it.

I still listen to TGE, and wonder why i can't enjoy it nearly as much as i enjoy those two. I guess, like i said, it's those melodic moments i missed, and the lack of that 'metallic' sound i described earlier.

I wonder how it woulda sounded if after Smyth left Loomis had just written TOC as a one guitar album. Or at least some of it. The Bass would probably be more prominent. I find that in most cases that's how it sounds with a one guitar player band, like Tool. Justin Chencellor is a very underrated bass player.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #272 on: December 11, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
Interestingly I'm the other way around to a lot of the people here. I'm big into TGE, and consider it one of the best metal albums ever. I like dead heart in a dead world, dreaming non black and enemies of reality (not that familiar with obsidian conspiracy) but I don't find any of them as special as TGE. The title track doing those doomy sounds with "darkness awakes" being sung over the top is just perfect!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline jammindude

« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
Count me in as a DNB fanboy.   To me, that is their "Scenes From a Memory"....just a perfect concept album on every level.   Possibly the best thrash concept album I've ever heard. 

Dead Heart was excellent, but didn't quite reach DNB's perfection.   I bought EoR when it first came out, so I still have only heard the Kelly Grey mix...which I obviously wasn't thrilled about.   

After that, I just lost interest for awhile.   I like the stuff I've heard from TGE and TOC, but I've just been too busy focusing on other genre's and more important albums. 

Sanctuary getting back together has rekindled my interest though...I'm going to have to go back and pick up the last couple of Nevermore albums.    And with Brad Hull (of the LEGENDARY Forced Entry) joining the ranks has me even MORE stoked.   :xbones :hefdaddy

Please, any of you who haven't checked out Forced Entry....remedy that right away.   They were one of the first technical thrash bands that simply got swept under the rug when the Seattle grunge scene hit paydirt.     They were the darlings of the Seattle area music scene just before "the big 4" started playing clubs around here.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NotePad

« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2013, 01:06:29 AM »
I realize im at odd, but to my ears TGE just pales compared to Dead heart an ememies. Oh well....

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »
Kelly Gray's bad sounding mix works great for Enemies of Reality. I was shocked when I heard it, but it gives the album a nice underground vibe. I love it, it's sick. Afterwards the super polished Sneap remix just didn't sound powerful at all to me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline NotePad

« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
The bad production sound really has given Enemies of Reality a bad name. I bought it when i was on a trip in Europe so I listened to it a lot during that time and came to love it despite the poor sound quality. Lost my copy though so i'll need to buy it again. I'm assuming the remixed version is the only one out there now? At least I hope so.

Enemies of Reality is such a kickass cd. The solos are amazing. Jeff Loomis is basically a guitar god. But he may never get that title if he doesn't get more of his name/music out there. Nevermore was getting huge, were they not? When TGE came out they were the talk of the town, (the metal town). But i guess TOC didn't get as much buzz. Too bad. Nevermore was his vessel. I just hope Loomis finds a new band or gets nevermore back together. Really all he needs is to get into a recording studio with Warrel Dane and they're gold.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2013, 02:31:08 PM »
Count me in as a DNB fanboy.   To me, that is their "Scenes From a Memory"....just a perfect concept album on every level.   Possibly the best thrash concept album I've ever heard. 

Dead Heart was excellent, but didn't quite reach DNB's perfection.   I bought EoR when it first came out, so I still have only heard the Kelly Grey mix...which I obviously wasn't thrilled about.   

After that, I just lost interest for awhile.   I like the stuff I've heard from TGE and TOC, but I've just been too busy focusing on other genre's and more important albums. 

Sanctuary getting back together has rekindled my interest though...I'm going to have to go back and pick up the last couple of Nevermore albums.    And with Brad Hull (of the LEGENDARY Forced Entry) joining the ranks has me even MORE stoked.   :xbones :hefdaddy

Please, any of you who haven't checked out Forced Entry....remedy that right away.   They were one of the first technical thrash bands that simply got swept under the rug when the Seattle grunge scene hit paydirt.     They were the darlings of the Seattle area music scene just before "the big 4" started playing clubs around here.

I love how emotional Dreaming Neon Black is. It's very much like an open wound. Pain fills all of the songs. Definitely the band's masterpiece, though I do love TGE a lot too.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »
@Notepad

I recall asking about their breakup shortly after it occurred and wondering if it had anything to with Dane being jerky. The person that replied to me seemed to basically say "yeah." Anyone know if that really was the case? Dane did seem to exude that schmucky Tate/Ulrich vibe so it seems plausible.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
I've never listened or read any interviews with any of the nevermore guys, so i don't have much impression of their personalities. I wouldn't be surprised though. Sometimes on the last couple records i felt like Warrel should have toned it down a bit, like his vocals were too overpowering and was interfering with parts that should have been focused on insturmentals. Seems kinda like he wants to continue Nevermore without Loomis, or it did at first, but probably realizes that if he did go on with a loomis replacement he would be seen as somewhat of a Axel Rose type figure.