Author Topic: SN's Homestuck roulette: jpeg hero (final results)  (Read 57305 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: SN's homestuck roulette: The big man [...] has the answers (r6 hangman)
« Reply #875 on: September 05, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »
Well, I'll just go ahead and solve the rest.

HOF: The Pearlfishers
    1: Banana Sandwich
    2: One for the Bairns
    3: Steady With You
    4: I Can't Believe You Met Nancy
    5: When the Highway Ends

wolfking: Pendragon
    1: Indigo
    2: The Freak Show

The Walrus: Twilight Force
    1: Dawn of the Dragonstar
    2: Long Live the King
    3: Hydra
    4: Flight of the Sapphire Dragon

romdrums: Mr. Mister
    1: Is It Love
    2: Kyrie
    3: Something Real (Inside Me/Inside You)
    4: The Tube

Sacul: öOoOoOoOoOoOo
    1: Fucking Freaky Futile Freddy
    2: Meow Meow Frrru
    3: No Guts = No Masters
    4: Bark City - A Glimpse of Something
    5: I Hope You Sleep Well
    6: Well-Oiled Machine

Elite: Kamasi Washington
    1: Re Run
    2: Clair de Lune

TAC: Burden of Life
    1: Goddess of the River
    2: The Makeshift Conqueror, Pt. II

Puppies_On_Acid: Type O Negative
    1: Red Water (Christmas Mourning)
    2: Everyone I Love is Dead
    3: Anethesia

ariich: Shade Empire
    1: Anti-Life Saviour
    2: Map of Scars

Cyril: A Novelist
    1: Strangers in the House of Auto-Da-Fe
    2: Acacia Crown
    3: Caveat Lector
    4: Crestfallen

Tomislav95: The Mayan Factor
    1: Warflower
    2: Aim for the Sky
    3: Beauty and the Beast

Luoto: Wormwood
    1: Godless Serenade
    2: The Windmill
    3: The Achromatic Road

Buddyhunter1: Gorillaz
    1: Aries
    2: Empire Ants
    3: Magic City
    4: El Mañana

Evermind: Scorpions
    1: The Game of Life
    2: We Will Rise Again
    3: The Best is Yet to Come
    4: Humanity

Stadler: The Panic Channel
    1: Teahouse of the Spirits
    2: Bloody Mary
    3: Outsider

Expect results tomorrow! Get hyped.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #876 on: September 05, 2020, 07:06:39 PM »
Good pick, Elite, that Clair de Lune interpretation is fantastic.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #877 on: September 05, 2020, 08:00:35 PM »
Type O Negative, nice  :tup
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: September 05, 2020, 08:34:34 PM »
No Christian Woman or Love You to Death though? :P

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #879 on: September 05, 2020, 08:42:14 PM »
No Christian Woman or Love You to Death though? :P
Christian Women is greatly overrated, although still a good song. And Love You to Death wouldn't fit, I was going to put it in place of Everyone I Love is Dead.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #880 on: September 06, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
öOoOoOoOoOoOo is Sacul?
What gave it away? :P
I remember it doing well in your last (I think?) roulette and I checked it out on the basis of your write-up and really liked it as well. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: September 06, 2020, 03:44:20 PM »
That's quite a good memory, I barely remember what I was sent last time :lol. I hope Shadow digs it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
SN's homestuck roulette: fred savage has a really punchable face (R6 RESULTS)
« Reply #882 on: September 06, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »
ROUND 6 RESULTS

Cyril
A Novelist
Strangers in the House of Auto-Da-Fe
Acacia Crown
Caveat Lector
Crestfallen
3 points

Hey, it’s not a 4. Don’t say I never did anything for you. :P

Honestly, I just really don’t get this gargly harsh vocal style at all, it always sounds pretty gross to me. The clean vocals Acacia Crown are actually really good though, I wish they utilized that style more often throughout these songs. Musically it’s all right, but I think it tends a bit too much towards a sort of thin, sonically flat aggression that doesn’t do much for me. The beginning of Caveat Lector with the saxophones is pretty cool though. Crestfallen is also the first song I’ve heard that uses the word ‘genuflect’ in the lyrics, which has gotta be worth something.

wolfking
Pendragon
Indigo
The Freak Show
4 points

This is some decent neo-proggy rock with some metal leanings. It’s performed pretty well, as you expecy from prog, but it really takes something exceptional to impress me in the genre these days, and this is just all right. The vocals especially feel pretty uninspired, where they might have elevated the songs if they’d been really good.

It’s definitely not bad, and I don’t mind listening to it, but it’s also not something I ever see myself reaching for of my own accord.

Sacul
öOoOoOoOoOoOo
Fucking Freaky Futile Freddy
Meow Meow Frrru
No Guts  = No Masters
Bark City - A Glimpse of Something
I Hope You Sleep Well
Well-Oiled Machine
4 points

OK, this is some pretty crazy stuff. It’s like if the Diablo Swing Orchestra swallowed a black metal band and did a ton of cocaine. In principle I’m pretty on board with the frenetic craziness of the second-to-second style changes, and there is good stuff around in these songs (the a capella bit in No Guts = No Masters is fantastic), but unfortunately the chipmunk/anime vocal style (that’s the best way I have to describe it) that pops up regularly I actively detest, and the other vocal styles and melodies utilized throughout seem to run from great to lackluster. Most songs here have at least something I really like, but I’m not actually able to enjoy any of them all the way through.

Luoto
Wormwood
Godless Serenade
The Windmill
The Achromatic Road
5 points

This is some pretty decent black-ish death-ish metal. It’s a nice listen and there’s nothing I dislike here, but there’s also not much that stands out to me. There doesn’t seem to be much variation in either the vocals or the music, which can make the songs feel a bit monotonous. There are a few interlude-y moments with the clean guitars, and those are actually my favorite bits here.

ariich
Shade Empire
Anti-Life Saviour
Map of Scars
5 points

I have a similar sort of impression of this as I did to Wormwood. It’s pretty good, clearly well performed, and there’s nothing about it that I dislike, but I also can’t really seem to connect with it at all. The vocals aren’t exactly my style but they work pretty well, the music can get pretty heavy but still has a lot of variation, but none of the individual parts seem to capture my attention much.

I will say though, since I’ve been down on spoken bits generally, British Bible guy actually adds a pretty nice atmosphere to Anti-Life Saviour.

TAC
Burden of Life
Godess of the River
The Makeshift Conqueror, Pt. II
5 points

This is some proggy melodeathy metal that, like a few other submissions this round, is pretty all right but doesn’t really appeal to me much beyond that. There are some nice instrumental pyrotechnics, but that stuff often doesn’t work for me these days, the vocals are serviceable and nice enough but not very engaging, and I don’t find the songwriting to be particularly coherent.

One thing I do really like that pulled the score up a bit is the marching beat/anthemic guitar intro to The Makeshift Conqueror. I just wish they’d developed that a bit more, it feels like it gets sort of left behind until the end of the song when it reappears.

Puppies_On_Acid
Type O Negative
Red Water (Christmas Mourning)
Everyone I Love is Dead
Anesthesia
5 points

I’m kind of vaguely familiar with a few Type O Negative songs, and apart from Everything Dies which I like a lot, my reaction is usually, this is ok, and that’s kind of still where I’m at. Peter Steele has an amazing voice, no doubt, but I’m generally lukewarm on what he does with it. I’ve always found their distorted guitar sound kind of offputting as well. Everyone I Love is Dead is probably the song I enjoy the most here, the vocal melodies and Peter occasionally using a more standard metally grit makes the song pretty engaging, although the ending section doesn’t do much for me. The other two songs are nice enough, but don’t make much of an impression on me, except Peter’s screams at the end of Anesthesia which I do quite like.

Elite
Kamasi Washington
Re Run
Clair de Lune
6 points

Mixed impressions on this submission. Re Run is definitely technically impressive and has some cool parts, but runs a bit too heavily into aimless noodling territory for me to get much out of it. Clair de Lune on the other hand is just soothing and lovely all the way through. There’s something really sublime about the saxophone and trumpet harmonies. There’s some soloing in this one too, but it’s much more restrained and takes up less real estate in the song which ends up working in its favor, at least for me.

Buddyhunter1
Gorillaz
Aries (Feat. Peter Hook and Georgia)
Empire Ants (Feat. Little Dragon)
Magic City
El Mañana
6 points

I honestly love all of the music here. The synth-driven beat in the second half of Empire Ants, the echoing, shoegazey clean guitars in Aries, the brilliant use of a siren as part of the beat in El Mañana, there’s always a really full, interesting soundscape going on. Unfortunately though, the vocals are just super super weak. I’m not crazy about most of the melodies, but moreso than that the delivery feels totally flat and uninspired. It’s really a mark of how good I think the music is that this is getting the score it is. Do they have any instrumental albums? I would be all over that.

Tomislav95
The Mayan Factor
Warflower
Aim For the Sky
Beauty and the Beast
6 points

The vocalist of this group has a really interesting voice. It’s kind of indie-esque, I guess? It tends to a sort of a nasality that works sometimes and doesn’t othertimes; on Warflower I think it works incredibly well, but on Aim For the Sky I’m pretty ambivalent about him, and Beauty and the Beast is somewhere in the middle, which I guess leads to a middle-of-the-road score, even though there’s some stuff here that I really like.

HOF
The Pearlfishers
Banana Sandwich
One for the Bairns
Steady With You
I Can’t Believe You Met Nancy
When the Highway Ends
7 points

I wasn’t totally sold on the vocalist when I first listened to this, but he’s grown on me a bit since then. I still don’t think his voice is super strong, but in the more upbeat, harmony-laden sections (which is most of the music here) it works really well. The parts where he’s not multitracked (verses of Steady With You, most of When the Highway Ends) I think his weaknesses are more apparent and I don’t enjoy those bits as much. In terms of the music, pretty much all of the songs have a really rich, energetic warmth to them that compliments the vocals.

romdrums
Mr. Mister
Is It Love
Kyrie
Something Real (Inside Me/Inside You)
The Tube
7 points

The two songs from Welcome to the Real World (Is It Love, Kyrie) have a really cool, anthemic 80s pop rock vibe to them. They’ve got that huge 80s echo on the drums and vocals, a nice mix of guitars and synths, a big catchy choruses. Kyrie especially gets stuck in my head.

The other two are sort of similar, but they sound closer and thinner, and even though the vocalist is still doing a great job in terms of delivery, most of the melodies on these two don’t really do much for me. I’d guess this album (Go On) was released in the 90s, it has that kind of sound to it, although I could also be completely wrong about that.

Stadler
The Panic Channel
Teahouse of the Spirits
Bloody Mary
Outsider
8 points

One of the strange rules I’ve imposed on myself in this roulette is that I don’t look up anything about the artists that are submitted, so I’m not sure when this was released, but to me it sounds like somewhere between the late 90s and the mid 2000s, from the guitar and vocal style. There’s a really nice variety in the songs here too, from the straight forward hard rock of Teahouse of the Spirits, to the grungey Bloody Mary, to the ballad-y Outsider, and they’re all done really well. A lot of this comes down to the strength of the vocalist, I think; he’s got a lot of grit in his tone when he needs it and can really belt, but he’s really strong in the softer moments as well. Really, there’s nothing necessarily groundbreaking here, but it’s all executed incredibly well.

(sorry Loop Hole didn’t end up making it into the listing, but you did pretty well anyway :P)

The Walrus
Twilight Force
Dawn of the Dragonstar
Long Live the King
Hydra
Flight of the Sapphire Dragon
8 points

This feels a bit more like traditional power metal - as compared to your submission last round - less orchestration and more chugging guitars and straight forward songs, but that’s fine because I like that too. What’s his name (I actually can’t remember his name) continues to do a great job on vocals, both in terms of delivery and the catchy melodies themselves (both as absurdly dramatic as you expect from quality power metal). Musically, this doesn’t separate itself much from most power metal, you’ve still got your keyboard patches and light-speed guitar solos, but when the songwriting is strong it doesn’t have to, and these are all great, fun, catchy songs.

The narration bits are just silly though. But they don’t detract much the songs for the few seconds they show up.

Evermind
Scorpions
The Game of Life
We Will Rise Again
The Best is Yet to Come
Humanity
8 points

I’m pretty much only familiar with Rock You Like a Hurricane, and Klaus Meine from the one Avantasia song he was on, but this is about what I expected Scorpions to sound like; riffy hard rock/metal with catchy melodies and great vocals. As has been a trend in the top scorers of this roulette though, you don’t have to be an innovator if you’re really good, and these are just really good songs. The power ballady The Best is Yet to Come is a nice bit of variety as well. I don’t actually have too much to say here, I’m just really enjoying this.

STANDINGS

STANDINGS   
ariich   44
Tomislav95   44
The Walrus   43
Luoto   43
Buddyhunter1   42
HOF   39
romdrums   39
Sacul   38
Evermind   37
Elite   37
Stadler   36
Cyril   35
Puppies_On_Acid   35
TAC   34
wolfking   33

Send for round 7!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:42:38 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

• DTF.org Member
Re: SN's homestuck roulette: fred savage has a really punchable face (R6 RESULTS)
« Reply #883 on: September 06, 2020, 04:33:56 PM »
I'm sinking so fast, one would think I tied a millstone around my neck and jumped into the ocean.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
Re: SN's homestuck roulette: fred savage has a really punchable face (R6 RESULTS)
« Reply #884 on: September 06, 2020, 04:35:53 PM »
I'm going to do the old "press shuffle on my music library and send the first artist that comes up" method.....

Looks like you are getting Dream Theater next round...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #885 on: September 06, 2020, 04:43:16 PM »
That's pretty much the method I've used for every roulette I've entered.

Also I finally updated the long-neglected 'banned during roulette' list.

Offline HOF

« Reply #886 on: September 06, 2020, 04:47:25 PM »

HOF
The Pearlfishers
Banana Sandwich
One for the Bairns
Steady With You
I Can’t Believe You Met Nancy
When the Highway Ends
7 points

I wasn’t totally sold on the vocalist when I first listened to this, but he’s grown on me a bit since then. I still don’t think his voice is super strong, but in the more upbeat, harmony-laden sections (which is most of the music here) it works really well. The parts where he’s not multitracked (verses of Steady With You, most of When the Highway Ends) I think his weaknesses are more apparent and I don’t enjoy those bits as much. In terms of the music, pretty much all of the songs have a really rich, energetic warmth to them that compliments the vocals. Cyril

So I wasn’t gonna say it beforehand, but sometimes he sounds kind of like a muppet. The voice is workmanlike but it works with the harmonies for sure. I’m new to this band and there isn’t much info about them online beyond their website which is several albums out of date. But they are a fun listen and I’ve really enjoyed getting into them. Great songwriting and hooks, and I’m glad you liked it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #887 on: September 06, 2020, 04:52:46 PM »
Sent.....and it should come as no surprise what I sent. :leaveseyes: :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #888 on: September 06, 2020, 04:55:47 PM »
I'm going out on a bold limb and predicting Shadow will love what I just sent him. And I never send black metal. :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline HOF

« Reply #889 on: September 06, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »
Sent, though I think I might have mislabeled the round in the subject.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #890 on: September 06, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
Kat sent Naglfar
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: September 06, 2020, 05:03:30 PM »
Kat sent Naglfar

You might be able to figure out if you comb through the listening thread recently, maybe, I can't remember. But it's not Naglfar, good guess though. Fresher and better than them imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: SN's homestuck roulette: the lesson of the moral (round 5 results)
« Reply #892 on: September 06, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »
finally got that 5! just gotta fill out 4, 3, 2, and 1 now

yeeHHAAHHH

i would genuinely give that A Novelist album a 10/10 (or like, a 9.5 rounded up so w/e) so i have to snarkily remark that you're objectively wrong here but yeehaw
higher score in dacul's roulette than this one  :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #893 on: September 06, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »
I had to stop scoring things objectively because all your submissions were getting 10s and that seemed unfair to the other participants.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #894 on: September 06, 2020, 06:01:37 PM »
Kat sent Naglfar

You might be able to figure out if you comb through the listening thread recently, maybe, I can't remember. But it's not Naglfar, good guess though. Fresher and better than them imo.
In that case, did you send Ages?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: September 06, 2020, 07:30:04 PM »
Kat sent Naglfar

In that case, did you send Ages?

ding ding

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #896 on: September 06, 2020, 08:06:03 PM »
You motherfuckers are going to solve hangman before I even get all the entries. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: September 06, 2020, 08:45:20 PM »
How many more rounds of this is there? 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: September 06, 2020, 09:02:45 PM »

Silly Kade, thinking this roulette has an ending.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: September 06, 2020, 10:26:19 PM »
Wow okay, didn't expect to win the round with that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #900 on: September 07, 2020, 08:35:36 AM »

:lol There are three more rounds.

Wow okay, didn't expect to win the round with that.

Well, one 8 isn't better than the other 8s. Position within a single integer just depends on when I wrote it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #901 on: September 07, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »
Sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: September 07, 2020, 10:40:28 AM »
You're wrong SN, I won the round.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #903 on: September 07, 2020, 10:55:04 AM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #904 on: September 07, 2020, 11:18:39 AM »
what? i won this round, we're going by golf scoring right?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #905 on: September 07, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »
Damn, A Novelist got an Aeolias/10

Do they have any instrumental albums? I would be all over that.

No, but albums like Plastic Beach and especially Humanz have a lot of songs that have guest vocalists handling the majority of if not all of the vocals, so those might pass your vocal suckage filter depending on who the guests are (though I for one quite like Damon's voice and delivery and prefer having mostly him over a ton of guest artists) :P

Also sent.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #906 on: September 07, 2020, 11:35:41 AM »
Damn, A Novelist got an Aeolias/10
Absu/10
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: September 07, 2020, 11:50:00 AM »
Sent!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #908 on: September 07, 2020, 12:54:00 PM »
Ok well at least you liked it alright, but for roulette standards that didn't go too well. Of my 6 submissions, the 3 non-heavy ones have done really well while the 3 heavy ones have got progressively worse with each one. :lol Perhaps foolish but I'm not minded to give up on the heavy just yet, I'll probably try at least one more from the final three rounds.

EDIT: And sent!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 01:02:40 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #909 on: September 07, 2020, 01:52:49 PM »
I'm curious and bored and we've got enough submissions and scores now for some statistical analysis, so I think I'll try and get a look at how heavy/non-heavy submissions are scoring relative to each other and then make a graph or something.

This is going to be the new mid-round entertainment, btw. Charts and graphs. Get pumped.