Author Topic: SN's Homestuck roulette: jpeg hero (final results)  (Read 57355 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: SN's sbahj roulette: WE HAVE. LIFDOFF (round 3 impressions)
« Reply #525 on: August 14, 2020, 03:52:00 AM »
1   I really like the dramatic vocal style MAYBE?
3   Good but maybe not very memorable I HOPE NOT
4   Yeah I'm having fun with this DEFINITELY POSSIBLE
7   Best vocals of the round? THAT WOULD BE A STRETCH
9   This may be your redemption DO I NEED REDEMPTION?
10   This is a style I don't listen to much but like whenever I hear it NAH
11   This is giving me flashbacks to the dark times NO
12     Nice of Devy to provide some vocals NO
13   Nice but I think the vocals should be stronger than they are. VERY POSSIBLE
14   Well performed but not making much an impression on me IF THIS IS IT, SCREW YOU
15   All good but one song really overshadows the rest DON'T THINK SO PERSONALLY

1, 4 or 13?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #526 on: August 14, 2020, 06:57:12 AM »
4 or 9?

4 it is.

1   I really like the dramatic vocal style NO
3   Good but maybe not very memorable MAYBE
4   Yeah I'm having fun with this PROBABLY NO
7   Best vocals of the round? JUST NO
9   This may be your redemption NO
10   This is a style I don't listen to much but like whenever I hear it COULD BE
11   This is giving me flashbacks to the dark times #1 PICK
12   Nice of Devy to provide some vocals NO
13   Nice but I think the vocals should be stronger than they are. COULD BE
14   Well performed but not making much an impression on me COULD BE
15   All good but one song really overshadows the rest NOT SURE WHICH SONG IT WOULD BE BUT WHY NOT

You're one of the 'could be's.

1   I really like the dramatic vocal style MAYBE?
3   Good but maybe not very memorable I HOPE NOT
4   Yeah I'm having fun with this DEFINITELY POSSIBLE
7   Best vocals of the round? THAT WOULD BE A STRETCH
9   This may be your redemption DO I NEED REDEMPTION?
10   This is a style I don't listen to much but like whenever I hear it NAH
11   This is giving me flashbacks to the dark times NO
12     Nice of Devy to provide some vocals NO
13   Nice but I think the vocals should be stronger than they are. VERY POSSIBLE
14   Well performed but not making much an impression on me IF THIS IS IT, SCREW YOU
15   All good but one song really overshadows the rest DON'T THINK SO PERSONALLY

1, 4 or 13?

Not 1, 4, or 13, but it is among that group somewhere.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #527 on: August 14, 2020, 08:49:28 AM »
9 or 10?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #528 on: August 14, 2020, 09:10:03 AM »
10?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #529 on: August 14, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
9 and 10 are correct.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #530 on: August 14, 2020, 09:55:08 AM »
You don't seriously think his screams sound like Devy though, do you?

Although I can kind of see why
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #531 on: August 14, 2020, 10:31:58 AM »
I do not.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #532 on: August 14, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »
I do not know
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #533 on: August 14, 2020, 12:38:12 PM »
(you're 7)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #534 on: August 14, 2020, 12:39:28 PM »
which hella impression am I
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #535 on: August 14, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »
(you're 7)

:o

Cool! He has a unique voice that people will either love or not really like. Glad you do!
(For the record, I’m a fan of his vocals indeed)
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #536 on: August 14, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »
I guess the Devy screams could be Black Peaks? I don't think they do sound especially similar, but I can see how that could be a first impression.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #537 on: August 14, 2020, 03:20:39 PM »
which hella impression am I

Lucky 13.

I guess the Devy screams could be Black Peaks? I don't think they do sound especially similar, but I can see how that could be a first impression.

Maybe it's just because I've never heard anyone other than Devy do those kind of fry screams, but they sound distinctly Devin-ish to me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Well it's Saturday, so I guess it's time for ROUND 3 RESULTS

TAC
Aeolias
Odysseus
Ergosphere
3 points

So this is something. I honestly have no idea what the vocals are doing at any point in this. There don’t seem to be any melodies really, just sort of aimless, occasionally melismatic wandering, sometimes she does a kind of half-spoken thing that doesn’t work either, and the harmonies are pretty brutal. Musically it’s not terrible, but the songs feel incoherent, like there’s no real direction or reason for anything that’s happening and nothing builds on what came before it. There are some cool bass runs I guess? But they feel like they’re totally disconnected from everything else that’s going on around them. Sorry man, this really doesn’t do anything for me.

HOF
Steve Hackett
The Steppes
Clocks - The Angel of Mons
Hammer in the Sand
Icarus Ascending
5 points

So you figured this probably wouldn’t be up my alley, and I guess you were more or less right about that, with caveats. It’s definitely well-performed, as I said in my first impression, and to its credit, where I’d expect a guitar player’s solo work to be mostly just guitaring with the other stuff as a background, these do feel like pretty complete compositions. The guitar is definitely the lead in most of it, but it’s not just aimless soloing with an instrumental backdrop, which is pretty neat. The songs don’t really do much for me personally, but I can certainly appreciate the performance.

Stadler
Rainbow
Weiss Heim
Vielleicht Das Nachster Mal
Anybody There
Snowman
6 points

So this is indisputably some great guitar playing. I don’t listen to a whole lot of instrumental music as I find most of the compositions aren’t quite strong enough to stand on their own, and this probably isn’t going to change my mind, it’s definitely a nice listen. In addition, Vielleicht das Nachster Mal is just a beautifully melancholy guitar solo. I feel like I’m hearing some Petrucci here? (By which I guess I mean I hear Blackmore in Petrucci) Or maybe it’s just because I don’t listen to a ton of classic rock guitarists. Either way, it’s fantastic playing and a great piece and is the clear standout here.

As a side note, I’ve been trying to learn German lately, and I’m pretty sure it ought to be Vielleicht das Nachste Mal grammatically. Maybe we can get some Germans in here to correct me if I’m wrong.

Puppies_On_Acid
Darkest Hour
A Paradox With Flies - The Light
The Misery We Make
Your Every Day Disaster
Fire in the Skies
Tranquil
6 points

I was pretty into this on my first listen, as is reflected in my first impression, but I’ve actually cooled down on it in subsequent listens. A Paradox with Flies and The Misery We Make have a really cool mix of almost punk-y energy with the anthemic vocals with the heavier death metal influences, and I really enjoy those two. The ‘gargly’ (sorry, don’t know a better way to describe it) of harsh vocals aren’t exactly my kind of thing, but they work pretty well in this context. Your Every Day Disaster is a pretty standard death metally instrumental and is nice enough but doesn’t leave much an impression on me, and the last two songs seem to drop the clean elements in favor of being straight-forwardly heavy, which is less interesting to me in isolation.

Also, Your Every Day Disaster is super quiet for some reason, which causes Fire in the Skies to deafen me every time it comes on. That didn’t affect the score though.

Romdrums
VOLA
The Same War
Stray the Skies
Ruby Pool
Still
6 points

Look, man, I was there in the 2010s when the djentpocalypse happened and suddenly everyone started tuning their guitars down to absolute zero and chugging so hard it shook the universe. And while this isn’t pure djent, it leans pretty heavily into it, and my reaction is about the same as to most djent, which is: It’s…OK. There are some heavy, off-kilter riffs and nonoffensive rhythmic vocal melodies, but it all feels pretty sterile to me. The Same War and Stray the Skies are fine listens but nothing really grabs me. Still is a bit less djenty and I like the melodies although overall the song doesn’t move me much either.

That said, Ruby Pool is an absolutely lovely song. Fantastic vocal melodies and harmonies, nice sparse instrumentation, beautiful restrained guitar solo, just great all around. I’d listen to an album of this. I’d listen to an album that was just Ruby Pool repeated 10-15 times.

wolfking
The Tea Party
Fire in the Head
Bazaar
Psychopomp
Cathartik
6 points

So like I said in my first impression, I really dig the vocalist’s style and his voice. Reminds me pretty strongly of Jorn, actually. He’s got a really cool dark, dramatic delivery in Bazaar and the slow buildup of Psychopomp, and a sort of vague looming menace in Cathartik. Musically nothing blows me away, but it’s varied enough to stay interesting and creates a pretty compelling atmosphere. Fire in the Head is kind of a miss for me; both the angular riffs and the vocal melodies are kind of grating to me and pulls the score down a bit, but the other three songs I like quite a bit.

The Walrus
Broken Bells
After the Disco
Holding on for Life
The Changing Lights
Lazy Wonderland
6 points

I like the pseudo-80s sound and style of this pretty well, but it’s not really resonating with me much beyond that. It’s a nice listen and I enjoy it while I’m listening to it, but the vocal melodies aren’t very compelling to me (I do really like the verses of Lazy Wonderland though), and the music, while cool and stylish, doesn’t really stand up on its own if the vocals aren’t working. Honestly this seems like it should really be my jam but for whatever reason it’s not totally clicking.

ariich
Black Peaks
Glass Built Castles
Say You Will
Hang ‘Em High
6 points

This is another submission that ought to be exactly my kind of thing, but that I’m only kind of lukewarm on overall. The harsh vocals are great and there’s some pretty good variety there from the low yells to the fry screams, but as has been a trend in this roulette with post-hardcore stuff, I find the clean vocal sections to be kind of underwritten in Say You Will and Hang ‘Em High, although I think they’re stronger in Glass Built Castles, which is my favorite song of the three (and pretty strong overall). Instrumentally it feels pretty standard, which isn’t bad, but isn’t particularly compelling either.

Cyril
Planetarium (James McAlister, Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner)
Jupiter
Pluto
Mars
6 points

I still have mixed feelings about this. The vocal oriented sections I love (excepting the vocoder ones, which I don’t really get it) and I think they’re incredibly beautiful. The symphonic-ish sections are pretty nice, although I don’t think they mesh super well with the vocal parts and they’re not particularly compelling. The electronic sections parts (like most of Mars), I feel similarly about. Not actively bad, but just kind of there. At the very least, though, this has convinced me I ought to listen to Sufjan Stevens.

Also, just as a point of interest, I didn't move this submission up because Sacul had sent one of the Planetarium songs, this was where my randomizer had assigned this submission from the beginning.

Evermind
Ensiferum
Lai Lai Hei
Twilight Tavern
Iron
7 points

This is some really fun folk-y metal. Jari (this is Jari, right?) has definitely grown a lot as a singer since then in terms of clean singing, some of the sections in Lai Lai Hei are kind of iffy (although I dig the presumably-Finnish sections a lot), but his harshes are great and they seem dominant over throughout the other songs. It’s strange, but these sorts of medieval-sounding melodies combined with heavy riffing just really works. Plus there’s just something funny about a brutal metal song dedicated to drinking beer. The wonky bits of Lai Lai Hei pull the score down a bit, but I had a lot of fun with this. In retrospect, the ‘this might be your redemption’ impression should have been yours, probably.

Luoto
Maraton
Blood Music
Prime
Spectral Friends
7 points

HOLY SHIT BLOOD MUSIC IS SUCH A GOOD SONG. Seriously, strong and emotive vocals, huge chorus, and cool electronically-influenced-metal sound. It’s just great all around. It’s so good that it’s kind of surprising that the other two songs are just all right. Prime has a really cool main riff and the verses are nice, but the chorus is a bit off and doesn’t work too well, and Spectral Friends is pretty nice on all fronts but nothing really stands out.

brb going to listen to Blood Music again.

Tomislav95
The Cure
In Between Days
Pictures of You
Lovesong
A Night like This
8 points

I don’t even know what this style is. British new wave, I guess? Whatever it is, I really like it and I don’t listen to it enough. There’s a really great emotional quality to all of the music and vocals here, and even though no instrument really takes the spotlight here they’re all supporting the songs perfectly. Nothing here is quite good enough to bump this up to a 9 or a 10, but there’s nothing weak here either. (and, I mean, you’re doing pretty well score-wise anyway)

Elite
Agent Fresco
Dark Water
Destrier
Silhouette Palette
Howls
Yellow Nights
See Hell
8 points

So yeah, the vocals are amazing here. He’s got a high register that slides beautifully into floaty falsetto and he seems just as comfortable in big choruses as in the more pensive moments. Musically I’m enjoying this a lot too; it’s like someone took a hatchet to all the excess of progressive metal and only left three-minute runtimes and inventive song structures. There’s the odd bit I’m not crazy about, like the subsonic riffing in Destrier or the staccato bits in See Hell, and Yellow Nights as a whole doesn’t do much for me, but overall I’m really enjoying this.

Buddyhunter1
Pendulum
Crush
The Fountain (Feat. Steven Wilson)
The Island Pt. I (Dawn)
The Island Pt. II (Dusk)
8 points

This reminds me a lot of Celldweller; catchy, poppy, electronic-leaning music with a lot of high energy rock influence. The result is something that is just a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. The melodies are catchy. The beats are hard. Steven Wilson is here. That’s a party if I ever heard one. There’s enough variation, with piano and acoustic bits cropping up throughout to keep it from feeling one-dimensional. The score is only this low because the dubstep in Dusk isn’t really my thing. It’s not terrible, but I’d probably never listen to it of my own accord.

Sacul
Sufjan Stevens
Chicago
John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
Fourth of July - Live
Moon (from Planetarium)
9 points

You know, I’m not sure why, but I didn’t expect Sufjan’s music to be this beautiful. And that’s really the best word here, beautiful. There are really no harsh sounds here at all; gentle, smooth instrumentation, his fragile-sounding voice that suits the songs, and the melodies are always lovely (even when the lyrics get pretty dark). Fourth of July is the first live track someone’s sent in this roulette so far, and honestly if it weren’t for the applause at the end, I wouldn’t have guessed; it sounds flawless, although I think the ‘we’re all gonna die’ section at the end is a bit much. The Planetarium song is a bit stranger and while I’m still not sold on the project as a whole, Moon works pretty well here as a quiet coda to the other songs.

STANDINGS

Tomislav95   26
Sacul   24
Luoto   23
Buddyhunter1   22
The Walrus   22
Cyril   21
Elite   21
ariich   21
romdrums   21
wolfking   18
Puppies_On_Acid   18
Evermind   17
HOF   16
Stadler   16
TAC   15

This is also known as the 'everybody gets a 6' round. Rich and Cyril are already locked and loaded, everybody else, send for round 4!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
amusingly i know every song off dacul's sufjan disc since i've been sent two of the four, one's off planetarium, and i already knew chicago from elsewhere

based on my current trajectory i'm expecting a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0 in the next six rounds

Online HOF

Hackett is definitely more of a composer than a flashy performer, which is one reason I think those early solo albums of his hold up well decades later. But not even the great Richie Haven could salvage this one I guess.

Something different coming your way soon.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Damn, coulda gotten a 9 if it weren't for Dusk. Oh well, good enough. :) Definitely give that album a try, there's not much dubstep stuff on it except for a couple songs.

I'd also recommend the second VOLA album, it's a lot less djent-heavy than the first.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Blood Music is indeed a banger, and I can see the other two not being as impactful to someone. Maybe Mosaic would've worked better instead.

I sent... well, a band.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Poopjuice.

I'll try to get something to you tomorrow. Feeling awful right now and going to doctor Monday likely going to have surgery so might not be active as much
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online HOF

Poopjuice.

I'll try to get something to you tomorrow. Feeling awful right now and going to doctor Monday likely going to have surgery so might not be active as much

Yuck. Hope everything turns out ok.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Well, at least I'm being consistent(ly bad). Sent for round 4.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Stadler   16
TAC   15

WTF is this?  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
amusingly i know every song off dacul's sufjan disc since i've been sent two of the four, one's off planetarium, and i already knew chicago from elsewhere

based on my current trajectory i'm expecting a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0 in the next six rounds

:lol I noticed that about your scores as well. I'm confident you'll rise from the ashes soon.

Hackett is definitely more of a composer than a flashy performer, which is one reason I think those early solo albums of his hold up well decades later. But not even the great Richie Haven could salvage this one I guess.

Something different coming your way soon.

Richie Haven is the singer on the last track? I actually did like his voice quite a bit.

Damn, coulda gotten a 9 if it weren't for Dusk. Oh well, good enough. :) Definitely give that album a try, there's not much dubstep stuff on it except for a couple songs.

I'd also recommend the second VOLA album, it's a lot less djent-heavy than the first.

Will do, and I can overlook a bit of dubsteppiness.

Blood Music is indeed a banger, and I can see the other two not being as impactful to someone. Maybe Mosaic would've worked better instead.

I sent... well, a band.

Bold choice, we'll see if it pays off.

Poopjuice.

Hope everything turns out all right for you, man. Don't worry about the roulette if you've got real life stuff, you can always make up a round later if you miss one.

Well, at least I'm being consistent(ly bad). Sent for round 4.

6 is actually pretty good. I'd rank it right under the threshold of 'I will probably buy this at some point,' but I still enjoy it for the most part. Your submissions are always interesting, if nothing else, I think Negura Bunget is probably the strangest thing I've been sent so far (maybe Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is stranger?).

Stadler   16
TAC   15

WTF is this?  :lol

:rollin :rollin

Stadler has taken the old 'hare and the tortoise' thing to heart. One by one he will overtake everyone.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Hell yeah, glad you loved Sufjan! His music is so gorgeous even when it's the most dark and tragic. He's releasing a new album soon and I'm hyped :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Hell yeah, glad you loved Sufjan! His music is so gorgeous even when it's the most dark and tragic. He's releasing a new album soon and I'm hyped :metal
america was good (and the b-side was even better? even tho it's not gonna be on the album? crazy man) but the song he put out the other day is hot garbage lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sent something I sent to Rich. Let's see how it does here.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Wow, glad you liked that!

Agent Fresco are probably one of my favourite bands. Eagerly awaiting a third studio album. I specifically like the way you describe their music; "it’s like someone took a hatchet to all the excess of progressive metal and only left three-minute runtimes and inventive song structures." That's awesome. I think you'll at least enjoy the rest of the two albums those tracks came from!
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay finally not a 5! Still not doing great but at least I'm not in the bottom three for now, I'll take that.

Sending in a few hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmmm..... so going the non metal route didn't work either.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I sent two non-metal entries and got a 5 each time. I sent a metal entry and got a 7. :lol

I just sent another non-metal entry so I guess I'm getting a 5 again.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

I'll take that 8! Going a bit risky into r4, hope it'll be worth it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Spoiler: it won't
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Hmmm..... so going the non metal route didn't work either.  :lol

I sent two non-metal entries and got a 5 each time. I sent a metal entry and got a 7. :lol

I just sent another non-metal entry so I guess I'm getting a 5 again.

Just out of interest, looking at the entries that have scored 8 or above, we have:

Post-hardcore (2)
Metal (4)
Enya (not sure about genre  :lol) (1)
Punk (1)
Rock (1)
Electronic (3)
Indie (2)
New Wave (1)

So it seems metal is not a death sentence but nor is it a guarantee. I should probably look at each round with the number of metal entries that scored 8 or above compared with the total number of metal entries. And then breaking down the pretty broad 'metal' into subgenres might be telling. Now I'm getting excited about doing statistics on this.  :lol

But really, I think metal can go either way. On the one hand, it might be a safer bet because you already know I like metal, but on the other, I've listened to so much metal that a lot of bands will just end up being 'thing I already like, but not done quite as well,' which tends not to score very well.

ALL THAT TO SAY there is no way to know, and we will all perish.