Author Topic: Multieffects Pedals.  (Read 3834 times)

Offline MasterShake23

• Certified Guitarist
Multieffects Pedals.
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Line 6 PODX3 Live and the Boss GT-10. Do any of you guys have experience with any of these pedals? I'm going to run it through a Mesa Mk 5 so effects are way more important than amp modeling. Which would be the better of the two?

Here are the specs for each:

https://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-GT10-Guitar-MultiEffects-Pedal?sku=151133

https://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-X3-Live-Guitar-Multi-Effect-Pedal?sku=150377

Both are the same price and have good reviews, any personal experience would be great.

Or maybe I'm overlooking another great MultiFX device?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts  :tup

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
Re: Multieffects Pedals.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »
Easily the Boss GT-10. The boss GT-10 is basically a giant block of metal, with a few plastic buttons and switches on it. You couldn't break it no matter how hard you tried. You can't say the same for the Line 6. The Boss has the "amp control" jack on the back which you could use to switch channels on your MKV. Combine this with the 4-cable method and you've got a killer rig. The Line 6 has great amp models and good effects, while the GT-10 has great amp models and AMAZING effects.
I bought a GT-8 just for the amp control feature, and had no idea that the effects would be as good as they are. The preamps, while great, take a bit of time to properly dial in though.

So yeah, the GT-10 for sure.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline MasterShake23

• Certified Guitarist
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
Easily the Boss GT-10. The boss GT-10 is basically a giant block of metal, with a few plastic buttons and switches on it. You couldn't break it no matter how hard you tried. You can't say the same for the Line 6. The Boss has the "amp control" jack on the back which you could use to switch channels on your MKV. Combine this with the 4-cable method and you've got a killer rig. The Line 6 has great amp models and good effects, while the GT-10 has great amp models and AMAZING effects.
I bought a GT-8 just for the amp control feature, and had no idea that the effects would be as good as they are. The preamps, while great, take a bit of time to properly dial in though.

Thanks Fuzz! you always give kickass rig advice. One question though, what is the 4-cable method about?

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »
That is where you do this:

Guitar > Input on Pedal > "before amp" effects in pedal (wah. dist etc.), >
Pedal's Send > MkV in > Pre amp in MkV > Amp's Send > Pedal's Return >
"Post amp" effects (eg. Delay), Pedal's output > Amp's Return > Amp's Power amp > speaker :)

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »

Thanks Fuzz! you always give kickass rig advice. One question though, what is the 4-cable method about?

It's basically putting the Mark V's preamp in the GT-10's effect loop, and then sending it to the MK V's power amp. It lets you have time based effects (Delays, Chorus, ect.) in between the MK V's preamp and poweramp, and effects like Wah, and overdrivs/boosts in front of the MK V's preamp. Kind of how you'd stick a delay pedal in the effects loop of your amp, and not in the front of the preamp, because it'd sound like shit. Or how you'd run a wah pedal, OD pedal or phaser in front of the preamp because it would sound horrible in the loop.

Here's a rough tutorial on how to do it with a GT-8, but the GT-10 shouldn't be too different:

https://www.bossgtcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11121

I'm not too familiar with the GT-10 so for more specific things you'd have to sign up at bossgtcentral forums post your questions in the GT-10 section of the forum.

A GT-10 controlling a MK V will be a killer rig for sure! :metal
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline SinisterMinisterX

• Grand Poobah of Small Miscellaneous Objects
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »
Can't speak for Line 6, but I have a Boss ME-50B for bass and I've been very pleased with it. If their other units are half as good, you can't go wrong with Boss.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »
If you are going for effects, get the Boss.

POD's are meant to be amp modelers, and that is what they excel at.
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Yeah the PODs tend to me more for amp modeling. I always hear good things about the Boss multieffects pedals, and they're the most common ones I see used, especially among pros. I've never personally tried one though.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »
Stompboxes.   EOS.

:P

Offline MasterShake23

• Certified Guitarist
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll have to read up and set it right asap.  :azn:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »
I have a Boss multi-effects pedal and generally love it.  There is a learning curve for using advanced features, which you will definately want to familarize yourself with.

I am also convinced a Boss product would survive a nuclear bomb.