Author Topic: Greatest Seasons of TV Shows.  (Read 3670 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Greatest Seasons of TV Shows.
« on: July 22, 2020, 04:01:24 AM »
Sticking to a basic rule of one Season per show, what do you guys consider the great seasons of TV you've watched.

Here are some of mine...I'll split it between drama's where the season's are one long story, and 'other' shows - including comedies, shows of individual episode stories etc...

Drama's....

- Season 4 : The Wire.  The one about the education system, shown though our 4 kids. 
- Season 5 : The Shield.  Forest Whitaker tries to take down the The Strike Team.
- Season 4 : Breaking Bad.  Walt vs Gus.
- Season 3 : Mr. Robot.  Revelations and the shit hits the fan.
- Season 4 : Game of Thrones.  Purple Wedding, Mountain vs Red Viper, Hound and Arya comedy act!

Other shows..

- Season 6 : Deep Space 9.  Occupation arc and 'In the Pale Moonlight' episode.
- Series 4 : Blackadder.  In the trenches.
- Series 5 : Doctor Who.  Matt Smiths first season...Fez!
- Series 3 : Red Dwarf.  What should we call ourselves? - "The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society." Erm, one drawback with that - the abbreviation is C.L.I.T.O.R.I.S.
- Season 3 : Futurama.  Most consistant Season and has the shows funniest episode in Amazonian Women in the Mood.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Greatest Seasons of TV Shows.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:08:59 AM »
- Season 3 : Mr. Robot.  Revelations and the shit hits the fan.
- Season 4 : Game of Thrones.  Purple Wedding, Mountain vs Red Viper, Hound and Arya comedy act!

Yeah, these three are basically the SFAM / A Change of Seasons / Octavarium of TV I'd say. Even though also season 1 of Mr. Robot is fantastic, it's a hard choice between season 1 and 3; season 3 should win however the specific award for "best payoff ever", all the slow and weird stuff of Season 2 was paid off THOUSANFOLD. Amazing planning and build up.

For comedies I'd say Season 1 of The Good Place, absolutely funny and clever and I'd never get tired of rewatching it.

Throw in also Season 1 of Westworld for dramas, that was absolutely stellar.

Season 2 of Vikings was the golden age of the show, with Travis Fimmel being a mindblowingly amazing Ragnar Lothbrok.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 04:17:23 AM »

- Season 4 : The Wire.  The one about the education system, shown though our 4 kids. 
- Season 5 : The Shield.  Forest Whitaker tries to take down the The Strike Team.

I was going to start thinking about it but after seeing your post but to be honest I could probably just take these ones right off the bat.

I haven't seen Mr. Robot seasons 3 and 4 yet, was going to return to it at some point though since it has had an ending.

Offline krands85

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 06:04:43 AM »
For most of my all-time favourite shows, there are at least a couple of seasons that I love so much I struggle to pick just one favourite. I guess that's partly why they're my favourites!

Ones that do come to mind as standouts are:

Dexter - Season 4
Prison Break - Season 1
Peep Show - Series 4
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 06:06:35 AM »
Prison Break - Season 1 (arguably the best first season of any show ever, imo)

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 3 (Krazzy Eyes Killa and Swearing Chef)

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 06:50:24 AM »
LOST season 1 is probably still one of my favorite seasons of any show. So much mystery and intrigue; Monster, Pilot (I've always thought the episode was titled "Pilot" not for the traditional reason, because it was the "pilot episode", but because of what happens to the Pilot of the plane), Locke's wheelchair reveal, the hatch, etc...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »
Twin Peaks: Season 1. The other two are amazing but are are also terribly flawed, not as consistent despite having the best episodes.

True Detective: Season 1. Magnificent.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 06:18:43 PM »
- Season 6 : Deep Space 9.  Occupation arc and 'In the Pale Moonlight' episode.
Yeah, good call. It had two of the three best episodes of the series, and plenty of other very good ones.
Season 3 of Better Call Saul. The season where Gus shows up, everybody is highly involved, and Mike McKean gets screwed out of an Emmy.
Season 6 of The Simpsons. Just my favorite of the golden era.
Series 2 of Fawlty Towers. Communication Problems, Waldorf Salad, The Kipper and the Corpse, and Basil the Rat. TKatC might be the funniest 30 minutes ever shown on television.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 06:11:49 AM »
Season 3 of Better Call Saul. The season where Gus shows up, everybody is highly involved, and Mike McKean gets screwed out of an Emmy.

Very much this. This was when the show really started to feel like a proper Breaking Bad prequel and not just a spin off with some familiar faces. I loved how in depth they got with the German crew coming over here and keeping them hidden, as well as seeing the future site of the meth lab being constructed. It was so well done.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »
The greatest single season of any TV show I've ever seen was Season 1 of True Detective.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 04:58:35 PM »
The greatest single season of any TV show I've ever seen was Season 1 of True Detective.

Oh yeah. That was incredible. I think this has to get my vote as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »
Season 5 of Breaking Bad - both halves as one - is the best season of TV period imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 06:07:08 PM »
Controversial :

I think Star Trek Enterprise S3 is the best Season of any Trek show.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 06:16:52 PM »
24 Season 5.

1 was good, 2 not so much. 3 was AMAZING and 4 and 5 just got increasingly better. Then 6 fell off the table for me. Hated that season. 7 was a little bit of a comeback and 8 was a fairly satisfying conclusion.

Still 3, 4, and 5 were the sweet spot.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
Twin Peaks: Season 1. The other two are amazing but are are also terribly flawed, not as consistent despite having the best episodes.

That is an interesting choice. S1 was only 7 episodes, right, not counting the pilot. Obviously there was a huge drop off mid-S2, but I really enjoyed what they did with the Mill, Andrew Packard, Eckhardt and all that. That was more engaging than who killed Laura. I have not seen S3.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 08:39:17 PM »
Definitely some great seasons listed here.

My personal favorites are

Game of Thrones - Season 6
Breaking Bad - Season 5
Mr. Robot - Season 4
Dark - Season 2
Better Call Saul - Season 5

And for the ones not listed so far in the thread

House of Cards - Season 2
The Leftovers - Season 3
Stranger Things - Season 1
Barry - Season 2
Ozark - Season 3

Both BB and BCS I feel just got better and better with each season and fingers crossed BCS's last season finishes strong and I have full faith in Vince, Peter Gould and team to end on a high note.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
Coupling season 3 (and the final episode of season 2 which leads into season 3)

I keep meaning to do an essay on why I think this is the most profoundly funny relationship comedy in the history of television...but I never have the time.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »

I keep meaning to do an essay on why I think this is the most profoundly funny relationship comedy in the history of television...but I never have the time.

I almost slapped you before realizing there were four seasons.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 10:09:29 PM »

I almost slapped you before realizing there were four seasons.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Everyone disses on season 4 (wow...how long has it been since you’ve heard THAT term. I’m freakin old. LOL) But Nightlines has some of the funniest moments in the entire show.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 01:02:42 AM »
House of Cards - Season 2
Stranger Things - Season 1

Good call on these two.

My only minor complaint about House of Card's second season is that the reason that brought us to the final scene was a bit convoluted and underwhelming, I expected a much more major and unforgivable scandal.... but that specific final scene was awesome, I actually cheered up when seeing it.

They couldn't see it coming with all the Kevin Spacey disaster, but they should have really planned for a four season arc. House of cards = 52 cards in a deck = 52 episodes = 4 seasons of 13 episodes. 2 seasons for the rise, 2 seasons for the fall. When the very name of your show is a metaphor for something that takes a lot of time to build but can come crashing down in a hearbeat, you kinda have to plan for that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:36:09 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 01:27:38 AM »

Season 3 is great but I think for me Season 2 is the best. The episode with Jeff meeting the girl on the train is my favorite of the whole show and his first encounter with his boss and the shenanigans that come from that is also a top tier episode for me.

"You think that if you kiss a woman, your mother would emasculate you with a miniature guillotine?"
-"I Know. Mothers eh?"

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »

Everyone disses on season 4 (wow...how long has it been since you’ve heard THAT term. I’m freakin old. LOL) But Nightlines has some of the funniest moments in the entire show.

Blame Richard Coyne (Jeff, AKA Scary Jeff, Caravan Shaker).   He quit about 2 weeks before production started on series 4, all the scripts were at that point written.  Steven Moffat had to rush to rewrite the scripts, including a brand new first episode introducing Oliver,  3 episodes were completely cast aside (originally it was scheduled for 8 episodes - because they were to Jeffcentric).   

Moffat got revenge.   Coyne was one of the early front runner to replace David Tennant as Doctor Who, but as soon as Moffat took over writting Doctor Who, Coyne had no chance!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »
Season 8 of South Park could be one of the best seasons of comedy television ever, I think. It's consistently clever, hilarious, and original. It's snappy and there's not really much filler. I can watch that season on repeat and laugh every time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 10:40:21 AM »
Season 8 of South Park could be one of the best seasons of comedy television ever, I think. It's consistently clever, hilarious, and original. It's snappy and there's not really much filler. I can watch that season on repeat and laugh every time.

That's a tough one. I was debating going with season 7 myself, mainly for "I'm a Little Bit Country", "Christian Rock Hard", and "Cancelled". Seasons 4-9 were damn near perfect.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »

That's a tough one. I was debating going with season 7 myself, mainly for "I'm a Little Bit Country", "Christian Rock Hard", and "Cancelled". Seasons 4-9 were damn near perfect.

7 was actually my first pick, just for the Casa Bonita ep. But 8 has Good Times With Weapons, Awesome-O, The Passion of the Jew etc. But man those ones you picked are good. I agree, 4-9 are pretty much perfect (although I think the show really picked up steam somewhere in 5 or early 6, after Jimmy was established as a regular). 10 is really good too but has cracks, that's where it started to get uneven imo.

(just remembered Up The Down Steroid... omg, one of their best episodes ever)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
True Detective Season 1
Game of Thrones Season 4
Breaking Bad Season 1 and 4
Six Feet Under Final Season

I’d also throw in Dexter Season 1- the first season was brilliant- the rest of the show is rubbish.

House of Cards should have been 3 seasons like the original- Season 1: rise to VP, Season 2: rise to President, Season 3: the fall.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 11:27:34 AM »
Bojack Horseman, season 4 was an emotional rollercoaster. Season 5 was more diverse and the funniest imo, so it's between both of them.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 12:14:23 PM »
I’d also throw in Dexter Season 1- the first season was brilliant- the rest of the show is rubbish.

Season 2 was also explosive and breathtaking.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 09:32:26 PM »

Season 2 was also explosive and breathtaking.

Eh to each there own. Season 2 is watchable...but a huge drop off from Season 1.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 10:44:51 PM »
Bojack Horseman, season 4 was an emotional rollercoaster. Season 5 was more diverse and the funniest imo, so it's between both of them.

This man speaks truth