Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 58668 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #770 on: November 15, 2020, 05:56:58 PM »
Rock Montreal kind of got me into music. I was chilling by my TV, minding my own business, when a local TV station played about half of it. Somewhere in between Roger singing lead on I'm In Love With My Car and Brian sitting down to play the piano on Save Me, I went from a kid who casually likes Queen and rock music in general to the obsessed beast I am to this day.

There's a little moment in Save Me where Brian starts playing but he's not quite there yet, and Freddie comes over and they stand together, get synced, and start the song.  Beautiful, real moment (plus, Freddie sings the crap out of the song).

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Member
  • type :mora: for a surprise
« Reply #771 on: November 16, 2020, 02:29:48 AM »
That moment lives rent-free in my head. Along with the moment which we sadly don't have on video, where they're starting Save Me somewhere on the same tour and Freddie says "ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Brian May on the piano! Yes, yes, he's wonderful, he's got a big c***!" :lol Freddie was so funny :hefdaddy

I wanna see the guys again next year if the dates hold. I saw them with Paul and it was my first concert and it was lovely. I really wasn't thinking "oh here's Brian and Roger playing Queen songs", I just realized at one moment that, oh, crap, I'm watching QUEEN.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:42:53 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.
You consistently make so much sense, and express yourself so eloquently, that I've decided you're basically a female version of robwebster.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: November 16, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
That moment lives rent-free in my head.

Haha, I'm stealing that.   :)

How was that Paul Rodgers show?   It sort of seems skipped over now, but I'm a HUGE Paul Rodgers fan, and based on the two live shows they released, he sang the crap out of those songs. 

I tried to see them in NY on the last go round, but it didn't work out.  I'm not as keen on Adam as I am on Paul, but I'd go see that just to see the spectacle.   

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #773 on: November 16, 2020, 01:24:02 PM »
It sort of seems skipped over now, but I'm a HUGE Paul Rodgers fan, and based on the two live shows they released, he sang the crap out of those songs.
I'm really not sure why it's skipped over. Everyone always goes on about how it's so different and how they could never get used to it. I didn't hear that much of a dramatic difference, when you're at a Queen show and someone's up there singing Queen songs really well, it tracks. And the dude saaaang. Obviously less versatile in style and range than Freddie, but it checked out. I didn't mind hearing the songs they did together (it was the part of the tour after they put out The Cosmos Rocks), and the BC/Free songs I already knew and loved. It was great, though of course my favorite bit was the Brian/Roger singing block with Love Of My Life, '39 and I'm In Love With My Car, because they stayed in front of us all the time (my sister, my brother and I were right in front of that little runway stage bit).

And then, when they stopped playing with him and started playing with Adam, everyone went back to requesting them to get with a rock singer instead. Why weren't they there when Queen played with a rock singer? Moreover, why would Queen go to a Jeff Scot Soto kinda guy next, when they just did tours with a rock legend, someone they actually looked up to when they were both starting out? It was time to go into a different direction.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.
You consistently make so much sense, and express yourself so eloquently, that I've decided you're basically a female version of robwebster.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: November 16, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
It sort of seems skipped over now, but I'm a HUGE Paul Rodgers fan, and based on the two live shows they released, he sang the crap out of those songs.
I'm really not sure why it's skipped over. Everyone always goes on about how it's so different and how they could never get used to it. I didn't hear that much of a dramatic difference, when you're at a Queen show and someone's up there singing Queen songs really well, it tracks. And the dude saaaang. Obviously less versatile in style and range than Freddie, but it checked out. I didn't mind hearing the songs they did together (it was the part of the tour after they put out The Cosmos Rocks), and the BC/Free songs I already knew and loved. It was great, though of course my favorite bit was the Brian/Roger singing block with Love Of My Life, '39 and I'm In Love With My Car, because they stayed in front of us all the time (my sister, my brother and I were right in front of that little runway stage bit).

That must've been very cool.   It looked like they were building Roger's kit while he was playing; is that how it went down?

And then, when they stopped playing with him and started playing with Adam, everyone went back to requesting them to get with a rock singer instead. Why weren't they there when Queen played with a rock singer? Moreover, why would Queen go to a Jeff Scot Soto kinda guy next, when they just did tours with a rock legend, someone they actually looked up to when they were both starting out? It was time to go into a different direction.

I'm with you; not that I don't like Jeff, but if they went in that direction, it would be a hard pass for me.  I'll go now because it seems like of interesting, plus the setlist is out of this world. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #775 on: November 16, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »
Yes, they had to build it on the spot so he could play and sing in the front, so as they were building it, he was playing the parts that were complete! Really cool gimmick. The technical part of the show was great of course, I imagine how much cooler it has gotten since then.

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #776 on: November 25, 2020, 10:27:34 PM »
Due to life events, I failed to post about our dear Freddie's passing 29 years ago a few days past.

From perhaps the world's greatest showman, at perhaps the world's greatest stage (Madison Square Garden...A- audience recording, Freddie, the band, and the audience were on fire on this second night at MSG), a few days after I saw the boys in Kzoo.  THE absolute best concert experience in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Hm5rTddG0&t=2950s

Thanks to all of the above, I met the 'love of my life' a couple of decades later.  A couple of decades after that, the show still goes on.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:38:02 AM by DragonAttack »
'Discretionary posting is the better part of valor.'  Falstaff