Author Topic: "A Rite of Passage" -- 11 years later  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: "A Rite of Passage" -- 11 years later
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »
The fact I had to bring the song up in Spotify to remind myself of how it went says a lot about how I feel about it - which is not much apparently.

Why did you have to bring it up on Spotify?  You don't have the album?  ???

I can’t speak for him but I use Spotify for all of my daily listening. Rather I own the album or not.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2021, 07:06:16 PM »
This song is very meh. Probably too long as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2021, 06:34:39 AM »
The fact I had to bring the song up in Spotify to remind myself of how it went says a lot about how I feel about it - which is not much apparently.

I have the album, but I wouldn't dig it out to listen to one song.  I would take out my phone and pull up the song on Spotify.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2021, 10:49:38 AM »

I have the album, but I wouldn't dig it out to listen to one song.  I would take out my phone and pull up the song on Spotify.

I have the album on my phone. :justjen  As for streaming, YouTube music is the way to go.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Trav86

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2021, 10:55:49 AM »

I have the album on my phone. :justjen  As for streaming, YouTube music is the way to go.  :tup

To each, their own.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2021, 11:00:46 AM »
Yeah, pretty much goes without saying...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »

Not bad. nice instrumental section until Bebot. The snare sounds flappy. Don't like the entrance into the final chorus.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2021, 06:21:46 PM »

Not bad. nice instrumental section until Bebot. The snare sounds flappy. Don't like the entrance into the final chorus.

You mean you don't like the hard

?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2021, 11:27:47 PM »
Black Clouds is a criminally underrated album, BUT even I have to admit, if there is one song that hints at Portnoy-era DT showing signs of creative fatigue, it would be Right of Passage. Everything about the song is just “meh”- it’s listenable, the riffs are okay, the chorus isn’t bad, but the song just screams “auto-pilot” to me.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2021, 06:59:57 PM »

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2021, 08:19:58 AM »
I think AROP suffers from a slower tempo on the studio version. The live versions definitely packs more punch being a little faster. I don't like JLB singing the harmonized melody instead of the lead melody on this particular performance, but damn does he sound so good here compared to most later tours.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »

Black Clouds is a criminally underrated album, BUT even I have to admit, if there is one song that hints at Portnoy-era DT showing signs of creative fatigue, it would be Right of Passage. Everything about the song is just “meh”- it’s listenable, the riffs are okay, the chorus isn’t bad, but the song just screams “auto-pilot” to me.

I feel quite the opposite.  ARoP is my favorite song on BCaSL, and other than Wither, I don't really listen to the rest of the album very often.