Author Topic: RIP - Grant Imahara  (Read 772 times)

Offline pg1067

RIP - Grant Imahara
« on: July 14, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
Died yesterday, at the age of 49, of a brain aneurysm.  For anyone who doesn't know, Grant was an engineer and roboticist (to use a term I've never heard before today) and part of the cast of Mythbusters.  I used to watch that show religiously.  Grant was the guy who designed a lot of the experiments they did.  This is sad news.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: RIP - Grant Imahara
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 01:10:51 PM »
Yeah, this one bums me out for sure. I was in a weird teenage phase when Mythbusters came out, and that bunch really helped get me interested in a lot of the hobbies I have and skills I've developed over the years. That lead me to seek local clubs around those topics and actually socialize for the first time in my life. I met Grant twice through the FIRST robotics program when I was in high school (super friendly guy), and he had a regular presence in the Battlebots community (he used to compete back in the Comedy Central days and has been a judge on the reboot).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:26:18 PM »
That's so awful, I had no idea he was sick.  :'( I loved Mythbusters back in the day and he seemed like a brilliant and gentle person.

RIP Grant

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 01:44:59 PM »
That's so awful, I had no idea he was sick.

He wasn't. Brain aneurysms come with zero warning and take down the healthiest of people all the time.  :-\

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 02:26:16 PM »
That's so awful, I had no idea he was sick.

He wasn't. Brain aneurysms come with zero warning and take down the healthiest of people all the time.  :-\
Oh I didn't know it comes that quick.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »
Gutted by this news, Grant was always a joy to watch, whatever he was doing, and he was super smart. Way too young and a tragic way to go.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 03:38:51 PM »
Way too young...damn shame.

Rest in Peace.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
Geez, he's only a few years older than me!  That is very sad news.  I was also a big Mythbusters fan.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »
Adam Savage just uploaded a thirty minute 'remembering Grant' video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TG_pm98W8c

It was a good watch/listen.