Author Topic: Anyone pay for a Cameo?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Scottjf8

Re: Anyone pay for a Cameo?
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2020, 06:23:04 PM »
Well hell.... you learn something new every day!!!  Actually, I think it could be pretty cool!  For a birthday gift or gift in general.  Like someone else mentioned it's really no different than buying merchandise.

Awesome!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »
My father's birthday is coming up, and I am clueless for a gift idea and saw this thread.  I think I found a gift for him searching on cameo

Got the cameo already, and tonight we are doing a family video call for my dads birthday so I'm going to share it then.  He made a comment that I asked him to and it was pretty funny, but he also did a plug for himself at the end that kind of turned me off.. and he did it shirtless from the beach which is also weird, but I think overall, he is going to like it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 11:06:25 AM »
Who's cameo did you get, Cram?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »

This may be a rare case where you know who this is when most on this board probably won't... Ron Duguay

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »

This may be a rare case where you know who this is when most on this board probably won't... Ron Duguay

Hell yes I know!

The man had great hair!  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »
4 minutes to wish happy birthday? that's nice! I assume he embellished it maybe playing some bits on the drums, he definitively didn't phone it in  :tup

When you fill out the request you can mention a couple things for them to 'talk' about and MP did a great job of taking those little things and making it fun for my son
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
4 minutes to wish happy birthday? that's nice! I assume he embellished it maybe playing some bits on the drums, he definitively didn't phone it in  :tup

When you fill out the request you can mention a couple things for them to 'talk' about and MP did a great job of taking those little things and making it fun for my son

Ah, I see. Makes sense, it helps both the person doing the cameo, and the one receiving it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2020, 11:39:31 AM »
Yea, I put something in my note to Ron Duguay to mention about my father and he did it which was pretty awesome and funny.  His video was a little over a minute of the happy birthday.  Milked it a bit because there was a moment of silence where you can tell he ran out of things to talk about.  Honestly, for $50 bucks, it was pretty cool.  My mom actually liked it a lot since she knows who he is from watching MSG with my Dad in bed often.  The funniest thing though, was my Dad was shocked like "how did you meet him to do this?" and "can I send him a cameo back? I want to ask if he remembers the time I met him at a bar"  :lol got such a good laugh from the family on our video chat since my father clearly had no idea what cameo was or how it worked.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2020, 01:37:12 PM »

Oo la la!

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2020, 01:49:48 PM »
I told a friend about the cameo and they sent me a commercial for those jeans  :rollin omg so ridiculous

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2020, 04:13:09 PM »
Yea, I put something in my note to Ron Duguay to mention about my father and he did it which was pretty awesome and funny.  His video was a little over a minute of the happy birthday.  Milked it a bit because there was a moment of silence where you can tell he ran out of things to talk about.  Honestly, for $50 bucks, it was pretty cool.  My mom actually liked it a lot since she knows who he is from watching MSG with my Dad in bed often.  The funniest thing though, was my Dad was shocked like "how did you meet him to do this?" and "can I send him a cameo back? I want to ask if he remembers the time I met him at a bar"  :lol got such a good laugh from the family on our video chat since my father clearly had no idea what cameo was or how it worked.

:rollin

That is so awesome, Cram!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
I told a friend about the cameo and they sent me a commercial for those jeans  :rollin omg so AWESOME!!!

ftfy

So awesome they made two of them (although Ron Greschner replaced Duguay for the second one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UilzHNm95Qg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAqMfJHMEo
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »
 :lol yup that's it

I actually just got off the phone with my Dad and he was saying how he saved the video and was going to share it with his friends.  He then kept saying how he was amazed how I got this from him and if he had known he would have requested a whole lot more  :lol I'm like "dad, you only have 250 words to describe what you want, I couldn't possible write your whole story" also told him to just go to the website and see how easy it is to get a cameo.  Honestly, I kind of thought the whole thing was stupid back a year or so ago when I first heard of this but seeing it in action, I think it's a pretty cool gift idea. 

Turns out the girl I've been dating had actually looked into getting MP for me for my birthday in September and when I told her about the cameo I got my dad, she was like "fuck that was my idea for you"  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2020, 06:38:08 PM »
That's awesome, Cram. So glad your father enjoyed it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2020, 08:09:54 AM »
Cram, went up to my attic and found a couple of Ron Duguay hockey cards.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2020, 08:55:54 AM »
Wow that's pretty cool!  I wonder if my dad has any.  We used to collect so many sports cards when I was younger and my dad would have so many boxes, with hockey being his favorite sport I wouldn't be surprised if he had the same cards. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »
How old is your father?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2020, 09:07:49 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »
How old is your father?

Cool.

I still have all of my old hockey cards from the 70's.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »
How old is your father?

Cool.

I wonder if any of those have significant value.  My dad did say my grandma threw away all his original cards which he said would have likely today had a lot of value.  But it's been so long since I've seen my father's stash.  I assume it's like stored somewhere in Florida now.  Actually, I should go see if I can even find my stash or cards.

I'll never forget/forgive my little brother for ripping up my Jagr rookie card as a kid   >:(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2020, 09:39:16 AM »
Not long after we were married, I come home and there was a hockey card magazine with values included in the magazine for old cards. I think my wife trying to tell me something. :lol

I informed her that those cards will NEVER, NEVER be sold.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2020, 09:57:53 AM »
Maybe while you are alive  :lol but it is kind of nice to know if you are holding onto something of value.  Might make you want to keep it in good condition and just be aware.  However, I'm not entirely sure how valuable sports cards are anymore, even ones from the 70s.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2020, 10:16:16 AM »
How old is your father?

And I'll bet you still need him and still feed him!

Being from CA, I never had hockey cards, but I had tons of baseball and football cards.  Unfortunately, I got rid of all of them at the latest when we moved in the mid-80s.

Funny story:  sometime last year, a guy in my office was cleaning out his garage, and he brought in a box of older cards.  Most of them were just scattered loose, but he had an unopened pack of 1975 Topps baseball cards, which was the first year I collected baseball cards.  He debated between selling it, unopened, on eBay or opening it to see if it had anything good.  He eventually said I could decide, so I opened it.  The list of luminaries included:

Bobby Darwin
Jim Spencer
Morris Nettles
Luke Walker
Ed Goodson
Ray Fosse
Ed Halicki

Along with Brewers and Twins team cards and a card commemorating the A's third consecutive World Series Win.

The stuck of "gum" was broken into a bunch of pieces and yeah, I gave a shot at chewing 45-year old gum that was probably stale back then.  It basically disintegrated into gritty sludge in my mouth and tasted like chemicals.  I spit it out after about 15-20 seconds.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2020, 10:25:28 AM »
 :lol that gum is hilarious if you open an old pack, can't believe you actually tried it

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2020, 05:44:56 PM »
I can understand the idea, but not going to support it. James, both Mikes and JR are doing it, but i prefer to buy ~50 dollars of merch instead of paying to get some attention. It feels a bit black-mirror-ish in my eyes.

I agree.

Not something I'd want to be involved with either but your mileage may vary.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »

You CANNOT be serious. I should send you one of his rookie cards I didn't torch in May 1979.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2020, 05:49:56 PM »

Hell yes I know!

The man had great hair!  :metal

Oooh La La Sasoon.....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2020, 05:51:57 PM »

Oo la la!

I'm a minute late and a dollar short as usual.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
Cram, went up to my attic and found a couple of Ron Duguay hockey cards.

Rookie card on the left. Of course, Mike Bossy's is likely worth a bit more.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2020, 05:56:04 PM »

How old is your father?

Cool.

The hockey cards are the only cards I still have. Tossed all the rest of the sports cards.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2020, 07:27:16 PM »

Copied from Google Images..

I have his rookie card in the top drawer of my bureau. He was my favorite player as a kid.

Offline Victimlas

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2020, 07:39:42 AM »
The Cameos are great for shout outs and birthday wishes/get well soon, etc. I got Cameo's from JR, JLB, and MM as cool shoutouts for DT USA. I wanted to support. I've also bought Cameos as birthday gifts and people really loved them. It's a nice personal touch and not really different from other personalized experiences- autographed merch, meet and greets, etc

Gotta support your favorite artists during these crazy times. If your job effectively closed for a year how would you pay the bills?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2020, 04:34:29 PM »

Copied from Google Images..

I have his rookie card in the top drawer of my bureau. He was my favorite player as a kid.

Have a bunch of those myself. Unfortunately they are Topps. Not certified PSA or anything like that.  Didn't discover O-Pee-Chee until AFTER Gretzky's rookie card.

Favorite player was probably Potvin until Tonelli came along. That guy was a major contributor to just about ever major Islander goal there ever was between 1980 and 1984. Maybe we should move this to a hockey card thread or something?