Author Topic: Anyone pay for a Cameo?  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Scottjf8

Anyone pay for a Cameo?
« on: July 14, 2020, 10:35:14 AM »
I see both Jordan and MM (and I think Portnoy is too) are on Cameo...   Has anyone shelled out the $50 (I think MM is $44) for one of these?  I might.

Edit - here it is.

My question to Jordan was about Judaism.. I asked him about how he feels connected to his religion (as I'm a MOT'er myself and wondered.)

https://www.cameo.com/v/fyBCIdLA6

Worth the $50 and glad I can do a little to support my favorite band.   Maybe now I'll think of a $44 question for Mangini.  Maybe I'll just ask him to play a bunch of fast drum fills.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:23:42 PM by Scottjf8 »

Offline geeeemo

Re: Anyone pay for a Cameo?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:08 AM »
I did.  I just wanted to support them. JLB and MM.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
I would if I had anything halfway intelligent to ask right now, but I don't :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 11:30:20 AM »
I did.  I just wanted to support them. JLB and MM.

Exactly my sentiment.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 11:31:23 AM »
I bought a cameo from MP when my best friend was going through a rough time after having strokes and undergoing heart surgery.....
Cheered him up so much..... well worth the $50

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 11:38:12 AM »
I just sent one to Jordan... I had what I think is a pretty good question I've wanted to ask him.

I'll post here when he sends me it (can I share them, or do I need to wait for him to?)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »
can I share them, or do I need to wait for him to?
If he answers, you do what you want with the video - after all, you paid for it! And besides, these guys all know that whatever they say in these videos will likely get posted somewhere online, so they won't be upset with you if you do so.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »
I guess the guys need to do what they need to do to survive in the time of COVID-19 but the cameo thing just doesn't sit well with me. $50 to have someone else answer a question or give you a shoutout? That's some real C-lister stuff to me. No thanks...

Jordan's Patreon, however, is pretty cool. I was thinking of signing on to that since I am a piano player but not sure yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »
What's Cameo?  I need the word up on it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 06:20:27 PM »

Basically you can ask them a question, and they send back a video saying hi, answering questions, etc. 

And some are outrageous prices... Sebastian Bach is like $300 and Alice Cooper is the same. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
I’ve done one with MM. He was very nice and seemed sincere. If I think of something Interesting to ask, I’ll do another.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
I heard of this Cameo thing like a year ago from listening to Howard Stern who would analyze how much they charged and kind of would relate that to their worth in some way which was funny since his own Rat Pack would be on there charging quite a bit.  Anyway, I think the service is kind of cool after initially not being a fan.  I have not gotten one, but I'm not against it if it were the right person for the right person for the right price for me.  I certainly don't blame these people for doing it either, most say it's very easy money. 

Devin Townsend recently started one, at $50 and he said he would normally do it for free but because his time is limited, that's not possible.  He then said if people buy too much he will raise it to $100 so serious people only  :lol  From his facebook:

We see about ten requests a day for Dev to record private videos. Mostly birthday wishes but also weddings, illness, or simply good-friends-wanting-to-be-good-friends. Dev is now on Cameo to do these vids at 50 USD each.

Very steep, yes, but done in an effort to tone down the requests a little and filter out the really serious ones. We've already had 7 in the 30 minutes this Cameo went live and typing this as part of his management team; I really need him to focus on DVD audio mixes, CD recordings and future live streams so please do not ask for these videos. They'll be a 100 bucks soon if you do.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »

Basically you can ask them a question, and they send back a video saying hi, answering questions, etc. 

And some are outrageous prices... Sebastian Bach is like $300 and Alice Cooper is the same.

That seems like an absolute pisstake.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 02:27:42 AM »
I can understand the idea, but not going to support it. James, both Mikes and JR are doing it, but i prefer to buy ~50 dollars of merch instead of paying to get some attention. It feels a bit black-mirror-ish in my eyes.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 02:49:22 AM »
I can understand the idea, but not going to support it. James, both Mikes and JR are doing it, but i prefer to buy ~50 dollars of merch instead of paying to get some attention. It feels a bit black-mirror-ish in my eyes.

It depends on what you ask them to do. I can definiteley recommend sending a cameo instead of a bouquet of flowers to a sick fan of the person.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 03:38:38 AM »

Eh, in the end it's still money. The band wants / need money to support themselves, it's up to you what you deem worth to have in return.

They want money, what is an acceptable bargain to you? have a shirt? meet them and have a photographer taking a picture of you with all of them? have a band member reply to you personally in a video? it's up to you.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 07:41:07 AM »

Eh, in the end it's still money. The band wants / need money to support themselves, it's up to you what you deem worth to have in return.

They want money, what is an acceptable bargain to you? have a shirt? meet them and have a photographer taking a picture of you with all of them? have a band member reply to you personally in a video? it's up to you.

Yeah i'm not judging the band for doing it. I can understand it's a new way to make some money. I just personally don't like it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 07:49:02 AM »
Ah, me too. As I just explained I fully understand the idea and the concept behind, but I still don't like it and it would feel weird for me.

I would do it ONLY as a gift, but for my own personal gratification, there's nothing worth 50$ that I would die without knowing the answer to.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 08:33:42 AM »
Wasn't someone requesting a pretty good number of videos of Jordan answering questions? I feel like that's how we found out about the possible LTE thing. I mean, if you have hundreds of dollars to spend getting a few questions answered....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 10:13:56 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 10:45:58 AM »
 :lol  :lol Word up!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 10:53:52 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 11:57:36 AM »
I guess the guys need to do what they need to do to survive in the time of COVID-19 but the cameo thing just doesn't sit well with me. $50 to have someone else answer a question or give you a shoutout? That's some real C-lister stuff to me. No thanks...

Jordan's Patreon, however, is pretty cool. I was thinking of signing on to that since I am a piano player but not sure yet.

Yeah, its a weird concept. I checked out the site because I was curious about the costs. I checked out some of the most expensive ones and its a bunch of nobodies trolling the idea, asking for thousands of bucks to help them sell out.  When I checked, they had no takers.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
Had a look at JLB's page - he really looks like he doesn't want to be there  :lol     At least Jordan gets out his keyboard and does a performance of Happy Birthday  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 12:15:32 AM »
My question to Jordan was about Judaism.. I asked him about how he feels connected to his religion (as I'm a MOT'er myself and wondered.)

https://www.cameo.com/v/fyBCIdLA6

Worth the $50 and glad I can do a little to support my favorite band.   Maybe now I'll think of a $44 question for Mangini.  Maybe I'll just ask him to play a bunch of fast drum fills.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 08:24:45 AM »
I got a Cameo from MP for my oldest sons birthday. He's a drummer and MP is his favorite.....it was really cool and my son loved it. I believe MP's cost was $50 and the vid was about 4 minutes or so.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
4 minutes to wish happy birthday? that's nice! I assume he embellished it maybe playing some bits on the drums, he definitively didn't phone it in  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
I've seen some people have shared on twitter of other musicians, and they can be pretty cool.  Like I've seen Nick Hexum of 311 perform some acoustic songs for people and talk a bit.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2020, 03:53:47 PM »
Well hell.... you learn something new every day!!!  Actually, I think it could be pretty cool!  For a birthday gift or gift in general.  Like someone else mentioned it's really no different than buying merchandise.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2020, 04:05:33 PM »
Well hell.... you learn something new every day!!!  Actually, I think it could be pretty cool!  For a birthday gift or gift in general.  Like someone else mentioned it's really no different than buying merchandise.

Because of this thread, I decided that I'm going to get one for my wife for her 50th b-day in October from her favorite Survivor contestant of all time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »

Because of this thread, I decided that I'm going to get one for my wife for her 50th b-day in October from her favorite Survivor contestant of all time.
I bet she will LOVE it!  Especially if she has no idea about Cameo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »
My father's birthday is coming up, and I am clueless for a gift idea and saw this thread.  I think I found a gift for him searching on cameo

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2020, 05:14:56 PM »
My father's birthday is coming up, and I am clueless for a gift idea and saw this thread.  I think I found a gift for him searching on cameo
Yup!  My wife's 60th is in September.  I'll have to research it a bit for her!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »

I bet she will LOVE it!  Especially if she has no idea about Cameo.

I'm hoping so.  The guy's name in Ozzy, and the couple of his videos I looked at looked pretty good.